Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Please could somebody help?

I’m on maternity leave so I’ve been a bit ignorant and not paid any interest to any workers rights at the minute. My friend and her partner have both been asked to work from home. They have two very young children. Her work are asking to know what hours she can work. Her problem is she has both children to look after. Her husband earns a significant amount more than her so she is making his job the priority of course. What can she do? Thanks.

I called my sons Pre-school this morning to say he won’t be in and I felt so sad. I can’t imagine how tough it must be for them to be child facing, having to do another two days childcare for worried parents whilst being worried for their own futures.

I’m going to brave the shop and get some chocolate for them and write a note thanking them for all they’ve done and when this is over if there’s any way we can all help then we’ll do so. god this is so tit!
is this area dependent? My boys nursery key workers aren’t in the slightest bit bothered by it, but we are norfolk and cases are so so low.

Reactions: 1
Stark facts are unless he implements full lockdown he’s pissin6 in the wind expecting people to stay in, it’s not happening and won’t. I have spoken to so many people this week who don’t give a sh1t and are carrying on as normal
I live in Central London, not far from. Harrods, and a friend who walks this street every night after work just text saying every pub and restaurant is empty. The last time it was this quiet was after the terrorist attacks and even then people were still wondering around.
Thursdays are usually PACKED around here.
She said Leicester Sq is empty too, not a soul.
So it is working.
Where there would be thousands you can now count on your hands and toes.

I’m on maternity leave so I’ve been a bit ignorant and not paid any interest to any workers rights at the minute. My friend and her partner have both been asked to work from home. They have two very young children. Her work are asking to know what hours she can work. Her problem is she has both children to look after. Her husband earns a significant amount more than her so she is making his job the priority of course. What can she do? Thanks.
They need to figure it out between them by the sounds of it.
Unless they have family that aren't at any risk that could watch them for them, there's not a lot of options.
Create a rota so they can both find the balance they need and she can inform her work at what hours she is able to commit.

Reactions: 2
Maybe I'm gullible but that's terrified me, I've been into conspiracies so long I got to the point of thinking nah it wont happen but I'll be withdrawing money from the bank tomorrow now just incase and possibly aiming to build some kind of bunker 😂🤦‍♀️
Well thats me down a major rabbit hole! He's done some right on predicting it seems! I do love a good conspiracy theory. I'm certainly in 2 minds about a vaccine that would be made so quickly, has that been done before? Would we just be human guinea pigs. Interesting... Arnie for President!!

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Work from home? Surely they can manage between them to look after the children while working. They're lucky, there are many employers dragging their heels over home working, not allowing employees to do this despite the government saying that is what they should be doing and they're having a really difficult time with schools set to close.

Reactions: 3
Having a meltdown 😥
Hubby usually works away for weeks at a time and thought my luck was in that we'd actually be able to use this time as family time, albeit stuck inside
He's gone to live with his best friend that has MS for 12 weeks as of today to look after him.

He's just left and I feel like we've broken up 🙈🤦🏻‍♀️
what?? surely that’s irresponsible to leave your family in favour of a friend?
I’ve got 4 Little kids completely alone and my
Mum who is 64 and very healthy and fit has made the decision to isolate completely from us for months, I feel sad about that so goodness knows how you feel

Reactions: 5
Watching Spooks on BBC Iplayer for a bit of TLC after a bad day but it’s so strange as none of the scenarios seem nearly as significant as what we’re all going through at the moment! Surreal!

Can anyone help me out. Has a list of key workers been put together yet 🙄
Not sure if anyone replied to this.... our school is saying:
Health Care / NHS / 999 workers
Social Care workers
Education providers
Delivery Drivers
Front Line workers (unsure about this - Police, Fire, Supermarket workers)

The president of the Italian Higher Institute, Silvio Brusaferro, said that medical records indicate: “There may be only two people who died from coronavirus in Italy, who did not present other pathologies.”
He acknowledged that the average age of death was over 80 years old and that the majority of them had serious chronic diseases.
The entire country of 60-million people has been locked down despite the fact that the majority who died actually expired from other diseases that have nothing to do with Covid-19. -GEG
sorry but that is not correct. Yes, the majority of people who died had some kind of underlying condition, but they did die because of the covid virus. If they didn’t get it they would still be alive. For example, yesterday a 32 years old guy died. In september he had gone to cuba and had got a bad infection. He was treated for it and by february he was fine, but his immune system was very weak. He was infected and he died a couple of days after showing the first symptoms. Without coronavirus he would still be alive.

what?? surely that’s irresponsible to leave your family in favour of a friend?
I’ve got 4 Little kids completely alone and my
Mum who is 64 and very healthy and fit has made the decision to isolate completely from us for months, I feel sad about that so goodness knows how you feel
Not sure how it's irresponsible? 🤷🏻‍♀️
He's left me, to look after our children which I'm more than capable of doing to go and provide care for his best friend who's wheel chair bound.

His friends parents are high risk and aren't able to go out and get the things he requires which they would usually be able to, because they need to isolate.
Without him going to live with him it's leaving our friend without the likes of his medication, food and getting around the house day to day.

Not sure if anyone replied to this.... our school is saying:
Health Care / NHS / 999 workers
Social Care workers
Education providers
Delivery Drivers
Front Line workers (unsure about this - Police, Fire, Supermarket workers)
and army staff

I was walking around Asda last night with my partner, we only went in for Mother's Day cards but decided to have a look at the carnage on the shelves anyway. I actually had tears in my eyes seeing elderly men and women pushing trolleys round with barely enough to make one meal. I could see they were just picking up whatever they could get, pot noodles, mug shots etc. Kind of like "that will have to do". It's so sad. These people have worked hard all their lives, and now they're being left with nothing to feed themselves with :(
aren’t we all currently living a bit like this tho? It’s very very temporary this food situation
Older people are more resilient than others realise especially with food.
I think younger ones worry too much

Not sure how it's irresponsible? 🤷🏻‍♀️
He's left me, to look after our children which I'm more than capable of doing to go and provide care for his best friend who's wheel chair bound.

His friends parents are high risk and aren't able to go out and get the things he requires which they would usually be able to, because they need to isolate.
Without him going to live with him it's leaving our friend without the likes of his medication, food and getting around the house day to day.
I’m really glad for you that you see it that way but I think he should’ve put his family first -
Sorry

Watching Spooks on BBC Iplayer for a bit of TLC after a bad day but it’s so strange as none of the scenarios seem nearly as significant as what we’re all going through at the moment! Surreal!
They’ve put every series up haven’t they? That will waste some time 😂

A day stuck at home.

“Is it bed time yet”
“Is it lunch time yet”
“How many lunches is too many lunches”
“Oh a snack 😮🤗
“What will I have for dinner...part one”
“Oh a snack 🤭
“What meal comes after dinner”
“Oh a snack 😮 damit that’s a dog food nugget 😒
“How much tea can kill you”

Google’s:
What is the best cereal to eat/who is the best power ranger/can you die from knawing on uncooked fishless fingers/
will the government introduce a new meal in the next sky news update ”

“Oh a snack”

3.30pm. Is it bed time yet.
A Twitter post suggested that you put all snacks for the entire day in a little box, and that's IT! All they get. (Aside from meals) Little ones will learn to self regulate and decide for themselves if they really need a snack at that point, or if they are eating from boredom. Just a thought :)

Reactions: 8
I’m struggling with tv at the minute. I’m trying to switch off the news but can’t focus on films or anything else!

Reactions: 5
My friend has really infuriated me today. She has just been signed off work on early maternity, as her job is to high risk. She will get full pay for the next 2 months before maternity officially starts. She then started moaning that she will now have to have her kids everyday & wants a break before baby arrives. While the rest of the group of friends are worried sick of how we are going to pay our bills & feed our children because we have no alternative childcare from tomorrow & unable to go into work for the foreseeable & not able to work from home. Sorry for the rant, times like this either brings out the best or worst in people.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
My daughter (16) and I are currently self isolating as she has a chest infection, and while she is sad that she is missing the last day tomorrow at school with her friends, even she is astounded that they have all decided to meet tomorrow night for a 'leavers sesh' which all Y11s have every year when they leave, basically they all meet on the school running track and get buckled. She has told them she can't go and they are being silly by doing it so they have all turned on her calling her boring. She has asthma as well as a chest infection so she is going nowhere, but I can't believe her 'friends' are being so irresponsible!

Cue a call to the school tomorrow .....

• Wow
Reactions: 10
My friend has really infuriated me today. She has just been signed off work on early maternity, as her job is to high risk. She will get full pay for the next 2 months before maternity officially starts. She then started moaning that she will now have to have her kids everyday & wants a break before baby arrives. While the rest of the group of friends are worried sick of how we are going to pay our bills & feed our children because we have no alternative childcare from tomorrow & unable to go into work for the foreseeable & not able to work from home. Sorry for the rant, times like this either brings out the best or worst in people.
Hey no need to apologise I complete emphasise and I bet most of this thread do too. I’ve been really surprised about some of the responses people I know, some dear friends, have had to social distancing say. Even completely in possession of the facts people blithely ignoring it...at this stage its very hard to comprehend
And your friend sounds very unaware of everyone else. It’s understandable we are all going through something unprecedented but ive definitely felt some people are acting like it’s only happening to them!

That said I saw a post on facebook about how there are only certain things under our control. Other people’s behaviour isn’t one of them. Staying vigilant ourselves, is. But it’s still very frustrating, bemusing and even upsetting seeing sides like that to ones we love. Hope your friend realised how she’s coming across and changes/ widens her perspective a bit.

Anybody know any good homeschooling sites that will help me. I’m trying to sort out work for my child who is in year 10, there’s some work set online from the school but it’s not going to last long. I’m trying to do all I can to help by setting up a timetable and desperately trying to keep a routine but I’m out of my depth at the moment

I'm watching World war Z and wishing I had a secret bunker.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.