Coping with losing a pet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My cat has just died and I am absolutely devastated 😔 he was only 7 and literally my best friend in the whole world. We had such a bond and he’s gotten me through some awful times, especially the last year. I always thought I’d have him for a long time and I just feel so sad and lost now that he’s gone😢 how do you cope with losing a pet? I almost feel silly for being this upset but he was more than just a pet to me. If anyone has any advise or tips please let me know, I don’t know how I’m going to get through work tomorrow 😔
i don't have useful advice but all i can say is that i'm terribly sorry for your loss and i'm sending you lots of hugs 💛 i can't even imagine how you feel.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Oh I am sorry, it’s so heartbreaking 💔

We lost one of our dogs in January. She was 13 1/2 years.
Cant even begin to tell you how devastating it was, we’d been to the vets a few times since October, after another ‘do’ the vet literally asked me why I was there. Talk about shocked, I’d literally missed the obvious. I had the next day off work. I slept on the settee with her and our other dog joined in, but I knew then she‘d had enough. We had another 24hrs after that.
Never been as devastated in my life, cried continuously for those few days. i went back to work on Tuesday as usual (don’t work Mondays) they were kind and it was a distraction.
I knew what day she was being cremated so I took that day off.
For weeks after I’d find myself looking at her pictures and sobbing. I just had a little cry, really miss her. It has got easier and I now find myself looking at pictures with a teary but warm heart.
Our other dog mourned her too, wouldn’t go for walks, refused to go past the drive.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I put our darling cat to sleep on Tuesday and I can’t stop crying. It comes over me in waves. My family is away and can’t return due to covid so I’ve been nursing him alone since his lymphoma diagnosis in August. I tried so hard to keep him alive, happy and healthy as he adored my husband and probably wondered where he went. Monday I just knew he was so poorly and suffering and his eyes were looking at me so sadly. Putting him in the basket to take him to the vet was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Mornings and evenings are the toughest as he needed so much care and medication. He was a funny, loving, adorable cat and we were so lucky to have him. We got him from a shelter at 3 months and he was almost 13. He loved us and has left a huge gaping hole. 💔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I hope you are doing ok and totally understand how you are feeling. It’s been like 6 months and I’m still devastated about losing my cat 😞 be kind to yourself and give yourself time to heal. I got some wonderful advise in this thread that really helped x

• Heart
I put our darling cat to sleep on Tuesday and I can’t stop crying. It comes over me in waves. My family is away and can’t return due to covid so I’ve been nursing him alone since his lymphoma diagnosis in August. I tried so hard to keep him alive, happy and healthy as he adored my husband and probably wondered where he went. Monday I just knew he was so poorly and suffering and his eyes were looking at me so sadly. Putting him in the basket to take him to the vet was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Mornings and evenings are the toughest as he needed so much care and medication. He was a funny, loving, adorable cat and we were so lucky to have him. We got him from a shelter at 3 months and he was almost 13. He loved us and has left a huge gaping hole. 💔
So sorry sending hugs❤

• Heart
So sorry for your loss ❤

I had to have my cat put to sleep on Monday, I was a sobbing mess leaving the vets! Didn’t think I’d cry as much as I did - such a horrible experience I don’t ever want to experience again 💔

• Heart
So sorry for your loss ❤

I had to have my cat put to sleep on Monday, I was a sobbing mess leaving the vets! Didn’t think I’d cry as much as I did - such a horrible experience I don’t ever want to experience again 💔
I’m so sorry for your loss. Our pets are the fondest companions who love us unconditionally. I put our gorgeous boy to sleep last week and it hurts badly and the house is empty. I understand your loss and how much you are grieving. Sending big hugs ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My cat has just died and I am absolutely devastated 😔 he was only 7 and literally my best friend in the whole world. We had such a bond and he’s gotten me through some awful times, especially the last year. I always thought I’d have him for a long time and I just feel so sad and lost now that he’s gone😢 how do you cope with losing a pet? I almost feel silly for being this upset but he was more than just a pet to me. If anyone has any advise or tips please let me know, I don’t know how I’m going to get through work tomorrow 😔
Hey hun
Ino the feeling I have lost 3 of mine this year. It’s the worst feeling in the wo
Hi hun
Sorry for your loss don’t you dare feel silly ,
Honestly it’s the worst feeling in the world. This year I lost 3 of my cats . Each time I have felt as though I didn’t want to carry on . We become so attached they each have their own personalities. You will never forget your fur baby but everyday you learn to live with it although we still get our sad moments. Often I will break down cuz I miss them so much , and other times I smile at their memories. And also what helped me was getting a new fur baby not to replace them but to help keep ur mind busy. I also watched you tube videos from pet psychics , I’m often told there still with us but just not in their physical body , I suppose this belief helps and gives us some comfort. Sending hugs xx

• Heart
I lost my rabbit Dave during lockdown and it destroyed me. I felt so stupid for being so broken but he was such a big part of our lives and brought us so much joy. I think I had a little PTSD as I found him unresponsive and knew he was near the end, discovered he had got fly strike and had to rush him to an emergency vet and wait outside in a car park, with no car, in the rain while they tried to save him. They rang me to say there was nothing they could do and I couldnt even be with him when he died. I dont even remember how I got home that night I was so traumatised.

But the pain does get easier. I think of him every day and we talk about him all the time. They are never really gone if they are still on our minds and in our hearts ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I had my boy pts a few weeks ago, my god I really miss him, I still can't talk about him without welling up, can't look at photos or vids of him, I've lost others over the years, loved them all, but this one, blimey, hes really got to me :confused:

• Heart
Thirty-five years after his death, I still sometimes have dreams in which one of our family's old cats appears.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I lost my boy two weeks ago. Some d as us I think it's getting easier, other days it catches me completely unawares and I feel devastated again. Tonight is a bad night, I just have to wait for it to pass.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I don't know if this is the right thread but....

My horse of 8 years is getting put to sleep on Monday. He's only 13.

He's been having neurological issues that we can't get to the bottom of, although we thought we had it under control, last night it came back and there's nothing else we can do.

Today I spent some time with him and he wasn't showing any signs but I really don't know if I'm doing the right thing. To look at he looks so healthy but he can go downhill so fast and have seizures in which he looks terrified during.

Am I doing the wrong thing putting him down when he isn't at his worst?! I just don't know what to do. Everyone keeps saying "a day too early is better than a day too late" but what if its not the right time.

I'm absolutely broken 😭😭

• Sad
  • Heart
I don't know if this is the right thread but....

My horse of 8 years is getting put to sleep on Monday. He's only 13.

He's been having neurological issues that we can't get to the bottom of, although we thought we had it under control, last night it came back and there's nothing else we can do.

Today I spent some time with him and he wasn't showing any signs but I really don't know if I'm doing the right thing. To look at he looks so healthy but he can go downhill so fast and have seizures in which he looks terrified during.

Am I doing the wrong thing putting him down when he isn't at his worst?! I just don't know what to do. Everyone keeps saying "a day too early is better than a day too late" but what if its not the right time.

I'm absolutely broken 😭😭
I’m so sorry. I don’t know what I would do if I had to lose my big lad.
I believe a day early is better than a day late. With neurological issues the horse and other peoples welfare is paramount.
Take some tail and his shoes and when you can face it have them made into something nice. Thinking of you x

My dog died just over two years ago due to being attacked by another dog and I am never ever going to be over it. I tend to go through waves of it, I’m having a tough time at the moment. Some times it’s ok and other times I feel so lost. Today in fact I keep having flash backs to the incident, which hasn’t happened in a long long time. It’s scarred me for life, not just what happened but the loss itself.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
My dog died just over two years ago due to being attacked by another dog and I am never ever going to be over it. I tend to go through waves of it, I’m having a tough time at the moment. Some times it’s ok and other times I feel so lost. Today in fact I keep having flash backs to the incident, which hasn’t happened in a long long time. It’s scarred me for life, not just what happened but the loss itself.
I fully understand this , I discovered our cat when he was killed and the image of his lifeless little face will never , ever leave me even though this was years ago ! 🥺

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I fully understand this , I discovered our cat when he was killed and the image of his lifeless little face will never , ever leave me even though this was years ago ! 🥺
I totally relate to this, I can’t get the image of seeing my cat dead out of my head and it’s been months 😭 sending love to everyone on this thread who is struggling like I am x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've lost pets who I've loved to bits over the years,, but I've never been so upset over my boy who I held when I had to make the decision to pts, I miss him so much, I can't talk about him or look at photos of him, even typing this out I'm welling up.

• Heart
Not sure if this has been recommended already but Blue Cross have a pet bereavement service available:

I lost my kitty of 18 years back in 2019, she had seen me through ALOT and it was devastating. I donated money to PDSA so she's got a plaque in their special pet memorial garden (https://www.pdsa.org.uk/donate/donate-in-memory/remembering-pets), and I had her privately cremated and some of her ashes into a necklace because she'd literally been through so many huge life changes with me. I ended up adopting a new kitty a few months later, I feel that he was sent my way to help me (and me for him as he'd been given up SO many times in his short little life). It does get easier I promise, but grief is normal - they're such a huge part of life. I also really struggled initially with my new cat as he just was not my last cat, but once I accepted his ways and dealt with his behaviour I wouldn't change him for the world ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6