Coping with losing a pet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My cat has just died and I am absolutely devastated 😔 he was only 7 and literally my best friend in the whole world. We had such a bond and he’s gotten me through some awful times, especially the last year. I always thought I’d have him for a long time and I just feel so sad and lost now that he’s gone😢 how do you cope with losing a pet? I almost feel silly for being this upset but he was more than just a pet to me. If anyone has any advise or tips please let me know, I don’t know how I’m going to get through work tomorrow 😔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 35
My cat has just died and I am absolutely devastated 😔 he was only 7 and literally my best friend in the whole world. We had such a bond and he’s gotten me through some awful times, especially the last year. I always thought I’d have him for a long time and I just feel so sad and lost now that he’s gone😢 how do you cope with losing a pet? I almost feel silly for being this upset but he was more than just a pet to me. If anyone has any advise or tips please let me know, I don’t know how I’m going to get through work tomorrow 😔
I don't have any advice but I'm so sorry for your loss. If you don't feel like you can't face work tomorrow, take the day off if you're able to. You've basically lost a family member, don't feel silly at all ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So so sorry for you. I have no advice really - like any loss you just have to endure. I hope one day when the time is right you’ll love another cat.
in the meantime sending you love xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am so so sorry for your loss. I too lost a male cat very young only a few years ago (he was hit by a car) and I still well up when I think about him

Some of the things that helped me were

- we bought a frame and chose a really nice photo of him and had it framed so we can always remember him
- when we moved house , we planted a tree in the garden to honour him
- I cuddled my other cat a lot , I think he could sense I was feeling sad and he was also very confused and grieving his brother
- he was hit by a car and was killed instantly so we took a lot of comfort in the fact that he wouldn’t have known anything about it and died fairly painlessly and quickly
- time .. one of my favourite lyrics is from a Taylor swift song and it is “time can heal most anything” and it is so true .. the first day was awful , the first month was hard but after that it got better and things got easier
- don’t be afraid to cry and talk to people about it , I thought people would mock me for being so upset about losing my cat because “its only a cat” but most people have pets and are very compassionate and understand a pet is part of the family too .. I talked to my mum a lot about it as she’s a big animal lover and it was really helpful ..
- when you can , start to discuss happy memories of the cat ! My husband and I always laugh about our old cat and how he used to love to eat green beans , so every time we have green beans we talk about him and smile

if you need to talk , please do message me ! I know what it’s like to lose a cat suddenly 💜💜

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I am so so sorry for your loss. I too lost a male cat very young only a few years ago (he was hit by a car) and I still well up when I think about him

Some of the things that helped me were

- we bought a frame and chose a really nice photo of him and had it framed so we can always remember him
- when we moved house , we planted a tree in the garden to honour him
- I cuddled my other cat a lot , I think he could sense I was feeling sad and he was also very confused and grieving his brother
- he was hit by a car and was killed instantly so we took a lot of comfort in the fact that he wouldn’t have known anything about it and died fairly painlessly and quickly
- time .. one of my favourite lyrics is from a Taylor swift song and it is “time can heal most anything” and it is so true .. the first day was awful , the first month was hard but after that it got better and things got easier
- don’t be afraid to cry and talk to people about it , I thought people would mock me for being so upset about losing my cat because “its only a cat” but most people have pets and are very compassionate and understand a pet is part of the family too .. I talked to my mum a lot about it as she’s a big animal lover and it was really helpful ..
- when you can , start to discuss happy memories of the cat ! My husband and I always laugh about our old cat and how he used to love to eat green beans , so every time we have green beans we talk about him and smile

if you need to talk , please do message me ! I know what it’s like to lose a cat suddenly 💜💜
Those are lovely ideas, thank you so much ❤

Reactions: 1
Definitely go through all of the emotions you have without feeling embarrassed or ashamed because it's 'just a pet'. When I understood my nearly 16 year old dog was coming to the end of his life I had my first and only experience of trying to speak and no sounds coming out. I was worried people would think I was crazy. After he was put to sleep I would randomly cry in public too and I quickly stopped being embarrassed - people were really nice and would offer a tissue etc and would be really nice when I told them I had to put my dog to sleep.

It took me a long time before I could have any photos of him up around the house and again, I initially felt guilty about that but it was too raw for about a year. Now I have photos and a lovely portrait of him up and the pain is gone, the photos make me smile and feel grateful for having him.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my gorgeous little hamster, Biscuit, last year and I think I was more upset about her dying than anyone I’ve ever known. I struggled to find support in real life and online because I thought people would say it’s “just a hamster” but she was my bestest friend

I would suggest joining The Ralph Site Pet Loss Support Group on Facebook - this was the main thing that helped me as there’s hundreds of people who feel the same and are in the same position

Time heals all wounds. Just take everyday as it comes. Look at pictures, videos, create a scrapbook of memories and don’t be scared to look at them. I remember going into work the next day and sobbing but my work colleages were lovely. Don’t be afraid to cry or get upset. I had her little footprints taken and keep it safe, maybe you could do the same ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh sweetie it’s awful isn’t it?
My partner lost his pet of 7 years last lockdown, they were obsessed with each other. I’d say he was actually trauma bonded with her, his grief was deep and it cut him very deeply. I was terrified of the dog but burst into tears when he called me with the news as I knew what it meant to him.
Do you have any one to speak to? I know having me there just to hug or speak to helped him.
We walked a lot then after a few days decided we needed to get away. We literally drove to a campsite and slept in his van but it was just what we needed, a night away. Sorry if this is unrealistic advice with current lockdowns but maybe you could plan something or a day to a nice town/park near you.
As someone said above definitely take some time off work if you can, it’s just not important right now. That can all wait and it will be there upon your return.
We have her ashes in our home and he got a ring made with her ashes in. His friend got a large canvas of them together and we’ve got that out too.
I’m looking for the perfect box frame so we can put his favourite photo in with her (huge) collar in too.

I really hope you have someone close you can lean on x

• Heart
also to add , I’m not sure under what circumstances your cat died under but there was a lot of guilt on my part surrounding our cat’s death because he wasn’t an outdoor cat but managed to get out when we were having a washing machine delivered , I should’ve kept an eye on him but he managed to dart out and was knocked down one street away ... the guilt ate at me for weeks , to the point where I felt sick about it “if only” was my most used phrase .. as horrid as it is , what happened was written in the stars and you couldn’t have prevented it .. don’t let the guilt eat at you if you have any 💜

• Heart
This thread shows how amazing all animals are, they do so much for our well being. Big hugs to everybody. I love my dog to bits, I hold him up in front of the mirror and say ‘that’s you’ in a baby voice 😂 I dread anything happening to him, all these dog napping news stories aren’t helping with my anxiety.

also to add , I’m not sure under what circumstances your cat died under but there was a lot of guilt on my part surrounding our cat’s death because he wasn’t an outdoor cat but managed to get out when we were having a washing machine delivered , I should’ve kept an eye on him but he managed to dart out and was knocked down one street away ... the guilt ate at me for weeks , to the point where I felt sick about it “if only” was my most used phrase .. as horrid as it is , what happened was written in the stars and you couldn’t have prevented it .. don’t let the guilt eat at you if you have any 💜
That is literally exactly what happened him 😭 he managed to get out today and was run over. I can’t stop thinking about how I could have prevented it 😔 so I will try and stop feeling so guilty in time

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
That is literally exactly what happened him 😭 he managed to get out today and was run over. I can’t stop thinking about how I could have prevented it 😔 so I will try and stop feeling so guilty in time
Oh bless you , then I know exactly how you are feeling 😔😔 .. it is so so horrid but just try not to let it eat at you , for me the guilt was the worst part and lasted much longer than anything else , just try to think that as tragic as this is , it was part of a bigger plan and something you can’t control now , you’ll torture yourself with the “what ifs” and “if only I had...” , and not helpful

I’m sure my little guy met your little guy at the gates of kitty heaven and is welcoming him with open paws 🐾 💜

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Oh bless you , then I know exactly how you are feeling 😔😔 .. it is so so horrid but just try not to let it eat at you , for me the guilt was the worst part and lasted much longer than anything else , just try to think that as tragic as this is , it was part of a bigger plan and something you can’t control now , you’ll torture yourself with the “what ifs” and “if only I had...” , and not helpful

I’m sure my little guy met your little guy at the gates of kitty heaven and is welcoming him with open paws 🐾 💜
I’m welling up reading that it’s so lovely. I’ve no doubt x

• Heart
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm welling up typing this as I understand exactly how heartbreaking it is to lose a beloved pet. I think you just have to ride with the grief unfortunately and I think it's perfectly acceptable to take a day off work if you need to. Sending you a big hug x

• Heart
I'm so so sorry, I am sending you so much love. It's not silly to get upset about loosing a pet of any size, they are our family and are the best companions. My dog isn't well currently, been in and out of the vets since last Saturday and I'm worried sick... I haven't been able to focus on work, luckily my manager has been so understanding.

Please take the rest of the week off if you can, to allow time to grieve and get your head in a better place. Sending lots of love to you xxx

• Heart
Aww I’m so sorry to hear about your cat I had to have my old boy put to sleep a few weeks ago and I felt so sad but he was really poorly so I knew I’d done the right thing! He used to think I was his mum he’d sleep on the bed every night so strange not having anyone way you up! I live alone and the house is sooo empty without him I want another one but I am worried he won’t be as cool as my old boy!! Iv got his ashes and going to plant a flower for him! All the neighbours etc were gutted he was such a character !

So sorry for your loss it does get easier though promise 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m so sorry for your loss I know how much you must be hurting right now but I promise it will get easier.

Pets really are one of lifes greatest gifts 💓 just think how happy they made you, you can only imagine how happy you made them too 🥺💓

I hope you can take tomorrow off work and have a well deserved duvet day xxxx

• Heart
I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost out boy about 6 months ago, I found it really really hard and I am actually having some counselling due to the guilt I still carry for his accident. We made a photo book of him so I can go and look at his good times, it took me quite a while to do it but it's a lovely things to pick up and remember him by. We talk about him a lot, almost daily. I can now smile about him, but I have cried for months. Take time, it will get better.

Do not feel embarrassed about how you feel, just try to remember what a wonderful life you gave him.

• Heart