Coping with losing a pet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if this has been recommended already but Blue Cross have a pet bereavement service available:

I lost my kitty of 18 years back in 2019, she had seen me through ALOT and it was devastating. I donated money to PDSA so she's got a plaque in their special pet memorial garden (https://www.pdsa.org.uk/donate/donate-in-memory/remembering-pets), and I had her privately cremated and some of her ashes into a necklace because she'd literally been through so many huge life changes with me. I ended up adopting a new kitty a few months later, I feel that he was sent my way to help me (and me for him as he'd been given up SO many times in his short little life). It does get easier I promise, but grief is normal - they're such a huge part of life. I also really struggled initially with my new cat as he just was not my last cat, but once I accepted his ways and dealt with his behaviour I wouldn't change him for the world ❤
When I lost my dog suddenly due to being attacked and killed by another dog, I found it very difficult and I still do. My ex partner got me a ring made which included his ashes and has his birth stone in. I couldn’t bear to have the ashes themselves, as it was so raw so he has them. I don’t wear the ring often but it sits where I can see it daily.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My cat is 12 soon, although I'm not aware of him being in poor health, I know that day is coming for me and I dread it. He's my best little friend and a sweetheart and sleeps curled up with me every night, my heart will be broken. I try to enjoy every single day with him while I have him.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My cat died over Xmas and I am beyond heart broken. He was my best friend, my baby and my companion. He was always with me. He sat with me every day through lock down working from home, he sat on my lap every evening, he’s sleep on our bed and come back to bed for a cuddle after his breakfast. He was only 8 and he wasn’t Ill on unwell that I was aware of. He seems totally fine. We put him in a Cattery and that’s where he died which makes it a million times worse that he wasn’t home with me. His brother was next to him which breaks my heart even more. I feel like I’ve lost my baby and I cry every day. I can’t imagine life without him he was such a character. I know it will get easier but right now I’m so so sad. I know I still have my other cat and I love him but he is very independent and not a lap cat at all. ☹

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
My cat died over Xmas and I am beyond heart broken. He was my best friend, my baby and my companion. He was always with me. He sat with me every day through lock down working from home, he sat on my lap every evening, he’s sleep on our bed and come back to bed for a cuddle after his breakfast. He was only 8 and he wasn’t Ill on unwell that I was aware of. He seems totally fine. We put him in a Cattery and that’s where he died which makes it a million times worse that he wasn’t home with me. His brother was next to him which breaks my heart even more. I feel like I’ve lost my baby and I cry every day. I can’t imagine life without him he was such a character. I know it will get easier but right now I’m so so sad. I know I still have my other cat and I love him but he is very independent and not a lap cat at all. ☹
I'm so so sorry to hear this and can relate to it, my cat sounds exactly the same. Stay strong and we're here if you need to vent.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I found great comfort from the Facebook page Ralph Site Pet Loss which was recommended on here. It makes you feel as though you are surrounded by people who know the heartbreak or are going through the same (when people in real life possibly didn’t). You can also post a picture of your pet and some information. I felt it was like a memorial.

• Heart
Your posts are all breaking my heart. I am so sorry! My little cat is 2 in June and It makes me so sad thinking of a day where she won't be here anymore. I have quite bad anxiety so I'm always thinking the worst. Sending you all some virtual cuddles xo

• Heart
I am so sorry for you. Words can’t express what I know you must be feeling. I lost my ❤ 9 1/2 years ago, am still lost without him even though I have a dog who I love so much now and I still cry when I think about him or the way he meowed or did something in a certain way.

There is a woman (who has a thread on here) called Emma Nicolet who lost her dog about a year ago. She is obviously still heartbroken, but is trying to normalise the heartbreak that people go through when you lose a pet. I have found her stories and posts on this really helpful. It might help you, not now, but when things are easier.

Sending hugs. Losing the furry heartbeat of the home is so hard. ❤❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just bringing this thread back to life.

I've just lost my cat. He was my absolute best friend of nearly 12 years and I am absolutely inconsolable. I cannot stop crying and my eyes are swollen. The pain is absolutely unbearable. He was the sweetest, happiest, most loving boy. He had the most expressive face and sweet soul. I cannot imagine by life without him. I am devastated beyond words. I have never felt pain like this, it's worse than any human I've lost.

I just need people to know he existed and to know how much I love him.

How long does the initial gut wrenching, crushing pain last?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9

I've just lost my cat. He was my absolute best friend of nearly 12 years and I am absolutely inconsolable. I cannot stop crying and my eyes are swollen. The pain is absolutely unbearable. He was the sweetest, happiest, most loving boy. He had the most expressive face and sweet soul. I cannot imagine by life without him. I am devastated beyond words. I have never felt pain like this, it's worse than any human I've lost.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost mine on Boxing Day he was only 8. I cried again this morning thinking about him.
it does get easier like with any grief time is a healer but there’s some days where something reminds you of them and you feel sad.
We created a photo memory book of him as a nice keep sake.
losing your beloved cat is the worst. I do really feel for you I am so sorry xxx

• Heart
  • Sad

I'm so sorry. Hugs. That day is coming for me in a few years and I dread it. Feel free to private message me to vent if it helps

• Heart
(I'e mentioned this one before elsewhere - I wasn't aware there was a thread on this)

My parents have been talking about putting down their 13 year old dog and I'm really struggling with it. I don't know if it's different this time around because he's old and I know it's coming. My parents 2 previous dogs died suddenly and were much younger. (7 & 4)

• Heart
  • Sad
(I'e mentioned this one before elsewhere - I wasn't aware there was a thread on this)

My parents have been talking about putting down their 13 year old dog and I'm really struggling with it. I don't know if it's different this time around because he's old and I know it's coming. My parents 2 previous dogs died suddenly and were much younger. (7 & 4)
Oh sweetheart. I am so sorry 😞 I know how hard I is making this decision. My old girl got very ill quite quickly and we had 1 last weekend with her, spoiled her with lots of cuddles and kept her as comfortable as we could. We spoke about our memories of her throughout our 12 years with her.

Have you spoken with your parents about how you're feeling? The vets were brilliant with us, we have her ashes with a photograph of her ❤
I hope you're doing as well as you can be. Thinking about you ❤

Reactions: 1

I sometimes think it's worse when you actually have to make that decision. I had to make the decision to put my horse down and I gave us a week together, calling up the vets to arrange it and then the crematorium was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.
That week was pure torture because I knew what was coming, even though his last week was brilliant I spent the whole time crying. I really feel your pain.

I got my boys ashes made into rings so he's always with me.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It will be 3 years in august I lost my dog, and honestly we still talk about her every single day. To everyone that’s recently lost a pet massive hugs❤

• Heart

Am so really sorry, it's so bloody hard to lose them, my experience, the ache in the heart does go, it does take a while though, lost my dog last September,can't even look at photos of him yet, I know how how you feel xx

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I hope my favourite QUOTE in regards to losing my old girl brings you all some comfort...
"You were my favourite hello but my hardest goodbye 💔"

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Glad to have found this thread a week ago and now have the courage to post.

We lost our 16yr old cat 2 weeks ago, she had been deteriorating for a while but when she went it was really sudden and traumatic. My heart is broken into a million pieces and whilst day to day I am functioning (I have 2 children, so no choice) I just feel so sad and lonely. I miss her so much.

We buried her ashes in the garden yesterday which brought everything bubbling back up, the weather is terrible today and I just feel so miserable.

I know it will take time but I am so lost without her.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Oh I'm so sorry. I know there's nothing anyone can say. Something that has brought me some comfort is to know other people are going through the same thing so it doesn't feel so lonely. The Ralph Site on Facebook is a good support network. Hopefully your baby and mine are best of friends wherever they may be.

• Heart
Reactions: 5