Constance Marten case - missing mum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
An application for another 36 hours in detention for Constance Marten and Mark Gordon has been sought. The search for the baby continues and it's possible they have come to serious harm.

That's it from the latest statement really.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
Absolutely not condoning CM’s behaviour or actions at all, but I do think that her upbringing must have *some* relevance to this situation and her mental health.

We’re not just talking about your average rich girl here. The level of wealth and privilege this woman had growing up is absolutely unimaginable to any of us. Crichel House has been in their family for more than 400 years. They rubbed shoulders with royals. When her father Napier inherited it (along with the £115 million fortune) he eventually had an “awakening” and spoke of a voice in his head that reportedly told him to leave his inheritance, shave his head and fly to Australia. Alone. Without his family or children.

Constance was 9 years old.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think that would absolutely mess me up.
When I first read that I wondered if mental health issues run in the family. The whole hearing voices thing.

Reactions: 16
I understand that she may have MH issues, there may be coercive control etc, but her words and actions at the time of her arrest seem to suggest a different reality than what some are trying to portray.
She is a grown woman in her mid thirties. I’m not expressing any personal opinion on Shamima Begum, who was 15 when she left Britain, but there seems to be a contrast in response.
CM will rightly face charges. If she pleads diminished responsibility, fine. Let her go down that route. She deserves punishment regardless. A baby is dead, and she had ample opportunity to prevent that.

Reactions: 17
No I don’t think the handles are right
Yes I think you’re right. It would make sense for it to be Argos too (where they got the camping stuff). Maybe they just draped something pink on it in that right picture

Reactions: 5
Sorry Della, I didn't mean to get your back up, I certainly didn't mean to suggest you were small minded but can see how it came across that way.

I think what I was trying to get across was that the reason why they aren't using her money to hide in more salubrious accommodations is because of their poor mental health. They clearly have some capacity to have evaded police for 50 odd days. But despite their money they have lived the chaotic lifestyle that sadly often accompanies extremely poor mental health. They moved around regularly, didn't pay their rent despite having the money, left their last home in such a state the ceiling was caving in. Witnesses said they lived a chaotic lifestyle in
Sorry Della, I didn't mean to get your back up, I certainly didn't mean to suggest you were small minded but can see how it came across that way.

I think what I was trying to get across was that the reason why they aren't using her money to hide in more salubrious accommodations is because of their poor mental health. They clearly have some capacity to have evaded police for 50 odd days. But despite their money they have lived the chaotic lifestyle that sadly often accompanies extremely poor mental health. They moved around regularly, didn't pay their rent despite having the money, left their last home in such a state the ceiling was caving in. Witnesses said they lived a chaotic lifestyle in their last home.

Undeniably they had the money to have done what you have suggested at least for a short time. But their chaotic state of mind means that's not what they have chosen. I think they have also grown more and more desperate. They did start off in airbnbs and bought a car in cash. But when the baby was born and the net started closing in and it became more and more difficult for them to evade detection - all that was left to them was a tent in the woods and travelling on foot.
No bloody wonder the SS were looking to remove this poor baby then 😔

Reactions: 5
Where can I see the latest statement?
What we learned from today's police statement
Police have just given an update about the search for the missing baby.

Here's what they said:
  • Det Supt Lewis Basford from the Met Police said an application for another 36 hours in detention for Constance Marten and Mark Gordon had been sought
  • He also said that the search for the baby continues and that it’s possible “they have come to serious harm”
  • He added that support from the public has been vital so far, and continued to appeal for help, urging members of the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious behaviour or items in gardens and sheds
  • Police encourage people to let them know about anything they might see or find, no matter how insignificant it may seem
  • Det Supt Basford said it is a "hugely difficult and painstaking search operation" covering 90 square miles
  • Det Supt Basford adds that the last known sighting of Marten and Gordon before their arrest was in Newhaven on 8 January
  • Members of the public can report any potential sightings either to 999 in an emergency or to the Met's incident room on 020 8345 3865

• Heart
Reactions: 12
What we learned from today's police statement
Police have just given an update about the search for the missing baby.

Here's what they said:
  • Det Supt Lewis Basford from the Met Police said an application for another 36 hours in detention for Constance Marten and Mark Gordon had been sought
  • He also said that the search for the baby continues and that it’s possible “they have come to serious harm”
  • He added that support from the public has been vital so far, and continued to appeal for help, urging members of the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious behaviour or items in gardens and sheds
  • Police encourage people to let them know about anything they might see or find, no matter how insignificant it may seem
  • Det Supt Basford said it is a "hugely difficult and painstaking search operation" covering 90 square miles
  • Det Supt Basford adds that the last known sighting of Marten and Gordon before their arrest was in Newhaven on 8 January
  • Members of the public can report any potential sightings either to 999 in an emergency or to the Met's incident room on 020 8345 3865
Thanks so much :)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
You also must understand that when children are removed SS and multiple agencies will usually make it clear that contraception is necessary and important. Unfortunately what can happen is advice is ignored and more children are put through the system. This was an avoidable situation.
I can empathise with a womans desire for a child and it can't be underestimated what the removal of a baby does to them but look what's happened here because two individuals were not capable of being responsible. And they're still not capable.

Reactions: 25
How terrible STILL neither of them have said where the little baby is. I think it’s fair to assume at this point he/she is dead so for god sake have some decency as parents and give the police the info to recover that poor soul.

• Sad
Rosie love, I understand mental health. I haven't even mentioned it. You've misread my post entirely. I am anything but small minded.

What I was getting at with regards her wealth was why she ended up in a tent in a field in winter? If she had so much cash at her disposal then surely she could've chose other means.

For example a camper van, a caravan, a hotel, a b and b, an air b and b etc.

Yes they wanted to go off grid but as I said, Money talks, nothing had to be booked in theor name.
They were living in a caravan on the allotment in Brighton

Reactions: 3
Yeah, strange that they chose a tent prior to that. They must've all been absolutely freezing.

Was the baby ever at the caravan do we know?.
I'm cold at the moment and I'm in a house.

No I don't know if baby was at the caravan. They need to start talking soon (it's possible delay is because of their mistrust of authorities, and going through legal avenues) as little baby needs to be found.

Reactions: 7
My sympathy is for the poor baby and that’s it. Anyone who questions why SS were involved from the start surely has their answer now. I hope the pair of them get the book thrown at them.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
They were living in a caravan on the allotment in Brighton
Sorry, no. The police have said they don't think they were sleeping in the caravan. However someone has come on here and said that someone locally thinks they were, and everyone seems to have seized on that as truth, I think because of the photo of the caravan which leads to an easy assumption.

“We are looking at open land, outbuildings where they may have placed the baby while they were in the local area before we arrested them.​
“There’s nothing to say they were in the caravan, we still think they were living in the outdoor environment and the that is leading us, and the arrest location, to the outdoor search."​

Constance Marten baby updates — Missing infant feared dead but police 'retain hope' as they ask public to be 'vigilant' | The Sun

Reactions: 13
Just to say that postpartum psychosis can develop weeks, months after birth. And if she's been hiding how would anybody know she was showing signs of it?

Sorry I'm new to this case. Do they know that the baby was definitely born alive?

Reactions: 13
Just to say that postpartum psychosis can develop weeks, months after birth. And if she's been hiding how would anybody know she was showing signs of it?

Sorry I'm new to this case. Do they know that the baby was definitely born alive?
Two taxi drivers have said that they heard a baby crying and moving
But why didn’t these taxi drivers report them to the sodding police AT THE TIME

There's been corroboration that the baby was alive at birth. No matter what's happened in the past they (and anyone else) have a duty to start talking now

Reactions: 12
Two taxi drivers have said that they heard a baby crying and moving
But why didn’t these taxi drivers report them to the sodding police AT THE TIME
Oh wow thank you. Goodness, i feel like all professions should have safeguarding training! Ill go do some research so I'm more informed.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.