Constance Marten case - missing mum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just to say that postpartum psychosis can develop weeks, months after birth. And if she's been hiding how would anybody know she was showing signs of it?

Sorry I'm new to this case. Do they know that the baby was definitely born alive?
I think taxi drivers who transported them reported hearing a baby and seeing movement, so they can assume it was.

Reactions: 13
There's been corroboration that the baby was alive at birth. No matter what's happened in the past they (and anyone else) have a duty to start talking now
Oh absolutely! I'm not condoning her behaviour at all. How anybody could not give information on the whereabouts and safety of their baby is beyond me.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My only guess as to why this couple aren't co-operating is that they're hoping a lack of a body will mean they can't face murder charges.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
I still feel guilty at the vet telling me my cat had to be put down (she was very ill) so can't imagine why they're being unforthcoming about a baby.

They might be traumatised if the child died unexpectedly but they do need to start being clear.

• Sad
Maybe they're staying quiet because the police are searching in the wrong place and they're feeling smug or some such tit

Reactions: 5
It's one thing , and not a good one by any means, but anyway, one thing to have children removed from your care but quite another to know the whereabouts of your weeks old baby and and not immediately tell that to the authorities. It can only mean they have something to hide and would also suggest that they know what they've done is wrong. If they felt they had no other option, and it was all done out of love for the child but has gone badly wrong they would tell that to police surely. They're keeping schtum because there's no defense for their actions and they both know that.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
Sorry, no. The police have said they don't think they were sleeping in the caravan. However someone has come on here and said that someone locally thinks they were, and everyone seems to have seized on that as truth, I think because of the photo of the caravan which leads to an easy assumption.

“We are looking at open land, outbuildings where they may have placed the baby while they were in the local area before we arrested them.​
“There’s nothing to say they were in the caravan, we still think they were living in the outdoor environment and the that is leading us, and the arrest location, to the outdoor search."​

Constance Marten baby updates — Missing infant feared dead but police 'retain hope' as they ask public to be 'vigilant' | The Sun

It's says Police are searching Wild Park Local Nature Reserve.
I live in Brighton and this park has always had sinister, awful vibes for me as it is the location of the 'Babes in the wood' murders.

• Sad
  • Wow
Oh wow thank you. Goodness, i feel like all professions should have safeguarding training! Ill go do some research so I'm more informed.
Taxi drivers do get safeguarding training (particularly as they can be at the forefront of child sexual and criminal exploitation).

They were last known to have been in a taxi in the early hours on 8 Jan. The police first appealed for information about them on 6 Jan. Even then I think it was primarily a regional news story and not national. Entirely possible a cabbie wouldn’t have known they were being sought by the police at the point they were picked up.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I'm cold at the moment and I'm in a house.

No I don't know if baby was at the caravan. They need to start talking soon (it's possible delay is because of their mistrust of authorities, and going through legal avenues) as little baby needs to be found.
I know Tiger, its freezing. It was even colder when they went missing....it doesn't bare thinking about does it?

I hope their silence is because of mistrust rather than something more sinister. It must be very frustrating for the police officers dealing with them.

----------------------

We can all sympathise with poor mental health. But let's face it old Mr Sex Offender Gordon isn't receiving the same sympathy despite his mental health problems.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Taxi drivers do get safeguarding training (particularly as they can be at the forefront of child sexual and criminal exploitation).

They were last known to have been in a taxi in the early hours on 8 Jan. The police first appealed for information about them on 6 Jan. Even then I think it was primarily a regional news story and not national. Entirely possible a cabbie wouldn’t have known they were being sought by the police at the point they were picked up.
Yeah, if they were behaving basically normally (even just for that short period), the worst thing a cabbie would have seen was a baby in a sling and the parents with a few bags with them. Unless it turns out they dropped them off in the middle of a field or something, as they’d not been massively featured at that point (and the search initially was more around the car, no? Much further north) there probably wasn’t anything particularly odd for a taxi driver to pick up on.

If they are no commenting interviews the baby has surely passed 😭 no lawyer would be able to work with them surely if they knew where a live abandoned five week old was and refused to say.

I find it unbelievable that they were using foodbanks whether the baby was alive or not because it's a huge risk of being caught surely. But I think the thing is they are clearly not all there mentally/ not thinking at all rationally so we just can't apply usual laws of reasoning to their actions.

The stuff I posted a while ago about Constance's mental breaks after her experience with the cult shows just how loose her grip on reality has been for years now and that was back when she had friends and was part of society. Her mental state will have got immeasurably worse over the past 7 years since isolating with Gordon to the extent that something like this has come to pass.
Heard an interview with a solicitor/barrister years ago, they were asked how can you defend the indefensible people. They said they can't put emotion into it, it is their job to try find a reason for the person to be exonerated, even if they did the crime, there may be an issue with warrants/interviews etc. And that's their job 😔 I couldn't imagine doing it personally

• Sad
Reactions: 17
They're both monsters. If they've given this child to someone to keep it "safe" I don't trust their judgement. God only knows who that is, could someone pass a child off as their own and provide it with medical care, a nurturing environment etc without it being flagged? I don't think so. The type of people who hide children aren't good, they don't have good intentions.
If the child has died they've disposed of it.
If the child was in their care at the time of arrest they've left it alone, cold, dehydrated, starving, in distress, possibly open to the elements and easy prey for things like foxes.
None of those scenarios are good.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
They're both monsters. If they've given this child to someone to keep it "safe" I don't trust their judgement. God only knows who that is, could someone pass a child off as their own and provide it with medical care, a nurturing environment etc without it being flagged? I don't think so. The type of people who hide children aren't good, they don't have good intentions.
If the child has died they've disposed of it.
If the child was in their care at the time of arrest they've left it alone, cold, dehydrated, starving, in distress, possibly open to the elements and easy prey for things like foxes.
None of those scenarios are good.
What a bloody world we live in.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I don’t believe MG has mental health problems. Personal opinion. I know CM was saying he does when he was arrested but that’s most likely all part of what she’s been told by him.

With her family history (her father) and the reported trauma in the cult, plus removal of other children (which I’m not disputing, to be clear), then what she’s been through this past few months (again, I’m not condoning) I don’t think she’ll by psychologically able to talk in a police interview. Even if she wanted to (which she may well not, of course)

But there needs to be some proper high-level understanding of the mental health side to support her to feel psychologically safe enough to even begin to open up.

That’s the only way they’ll get any answers, in my opinion.

MG won’t tell them anything.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
Heard an interview with a solicitor/barrister years ago, they were asked how can you defend the indefensible people. They said they can't put emotion into it, it is their job to try find a reason for the person to be exonerated, even if they did the crime, there may be an issue with warrants/interviews etc. And that's their job 😔 I couldn't imagine doing it personally
At the end of the day they are innocent until proven guilty, whatever we may all think. Everyone deserves legal representation and that is the foundation of our justice system.
A lawyer cannot make false statements though, so if either of them tell their solicitor the truth about the baby the solicitor can't say there is no baby or they don't know the whereabouts.
A lot of guilty people give 'no comment' interviews for that reason, but not everyone that says no comment is guilty. It's very nuanced.

• Heart
Another possibility is the baby has sadly died and MG has hidden the fact from CM by then taking the baby while she’s sleeping and saying the baby is with someone for safety.

There’s so many scenarios.

Reactions: 18
If you ever watch 24 Hours in Police Custody you’ll quickly learn “no comment” is the standard approach. I’d not appreciated quite how common it was!

Reactions: 18
I‘m in agreement with previous poster that MG has no mental health issues! Unfortunately it has become so so easy for everyone especially perpetrators to throw mental health card around to get their way. I’m sure others like myself have come across at least 4 cases in last couple of months where all of them claimed mental health issues or diminished responsibilities, thank fully in three of those cases the jurors saw right through the bullshit spouted.
It is going to happen in this case too one or both will claim mental health issues and try to get away with it or get lesser sentence.

I don’t believe MG has mental health problems. Personal opinion. I know CM was saying he does when he was arrested but that’s most likely all part of what she’s been told by him.

With her family history (her father) and the reported trauma in the cult, plus removal of other children (which I’m not disputing, to be clear), then what she’s been through this past few months (again, I’m not condoning) I don’t think she’ll by psychologically able to talk in a police interview. Even if she wanted to (which she may well not, of course)

But there needs to be some proper high-level understanding of the mental health side to support her to feel psychologically safe enough to even begin to own up.

That’s the only way they’ll get any answers, in my opinion.

MG won’t tell them anything.
I agree, I think he's more on the psychopath/ personality disorder side of things. To do what he did at 14... twice... and apparently show no remorse at the time and to the present day (given what his sister and mum have said). That's psychopath territory. I can't remember if it was on here or another site but someone said that after what he did at such a young age, turning his life around completely is so unlikely that society will just always need protecting from him.

She has proven that she could lead a normal life before meeting him but I think as you have said underlying vulnerabilities in her plus environmental factors/ the circumstances her life has lead her into, and then meeting MG and this horrific denouement... as a person she is going to be irreconcilably FUBAR now

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.