Constance Marten case - missing mum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's bizarre when you think about it.

Why the bloody hell, if she's so rich did she not use alternative means to have her baby safely? If she was afraid of the social workers why end up in a bloody tent in winter?

Money talks. If she wanted to keep her baby save then surely she would have many other options available to her.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It's bizarre when you think about it.

Why the bloody hell, if she's so rich did she not use alternative means to have her baby safely? If she was afraid of the social workers why end up in a bloody tent in winter?

Money talks. If she wanted to keep her baby save then surely she would have many other options available to her.
Because of both of their severe mental health issues and the fact that she has fallen in with someone who - probably due to his own mental health issues - has a huge distrust of the authorities. Mental health issues as others have pointed out don't discriminate according to wealth, in fact extreme wealth to this extent can aggravate mental health problems. Not that this equates in any way to the challenges that poverty brings when it comes to mental health. But it's very small minded to think that someone who's rich cannot suffer with their mental health. I have seen this first hand with people in my own life.

Has anyone else looked at MG's sister's FB? She is also very anti authorities/ pro crazy conspiracy theories.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Constance’s money and privilege is exactly why I assumed she’s an addict. Imagine being so incredibly wealthy you never have to work a day in your life. Never having to particularly care about getting an education with a view to a career and money. It’s a very aimless kind of life, unless you’re very philanthropic and want to devote yourself to charity work.

Keeping this vague, but I have a relative who’s a trust fund baby (nowhere near the level of wealth than Constance) and she’s never really worked, just wafts around doing self-indulgent arty projects and trying to be an influencer. I can easily see how you fall into a serious party lifestyle when you move in monied circles and have limitless cash available.
Constance actually has a degree from a good university, then studied journalism before attending acting school (which she dropped out of after apparently falling out with a tutor, and then meeting Mark). She didn’t need to do her degree or study journalism or acting, which shows she had something about her and a wish to do something other than just party.

Everything seemed to go really wrong for her when she met Mark (she seemed to be back on track after leaving the cult a few years prior). I was surprised to see she was living in Ilford with him when they first got together (and they moved in very quickly after getting together). It’s really not a nice place and definitely not somewhere someone with her money would usually live.

To me this just shows that she was trying to get away from her background; that she may have had a mental breakdown (dropping out of acting school could indicate this); that she was most likely controlled and manipulated by him; and that drugs are likely involved.

I am not excusing her behaviour. But he is 13 years older and a convicted rapist, who was in prison for a very long time. He also seems to have isolated her from her family and friends, and was probably living off her money.

• Sad
Reactions: 32
I don't think they took any cash out during the original 53 (?) day period they were missing. Police have always said that they had evidence that they had stockpiled a large amount of cash prior to going on the run which I believe started as early as Sept last year when they started moving around the country staying in AirBnBs.

Police have been saying for the past couple of weeks that they had suspicions based on the amount of cash they had that this would be running out soon. And it turns out they were correct.

So from what police have released, they didn't visit any cash points at any earlier dates in the time that they were missing to enable police to swoop in on them. They seem to have very recently surfaced for cash, food etc and have been swiftly caught.
Thank you for clarification! I’d thought that the CCTV footage of them on Commercial street (not in East Ham - just used that as an example because apparently they were staying there? Grim) was *at* a cash point but clearly not. What a bizarre thing to plan - so assuming that the car on fire was also planned?! Bizarre.

Her dad is a millionaire or something
I know he is but if they're on the run with a newborn and there's concerns for the baby's safety and the police are looking for them then surely the millionaire dad, if he is supplying them with money would be partly to blame. Besides they're estranged so I doubt he's topping up her bank account. However sonce i asked that question it has been mentioned she had a trust fund. It explains it.

Reactions: 1
Sweet jesus I'd hope they wouldn't just throw there baby away and he/she be in landfill. The thought is horrifying.

I mean the whole thing is horrifying but that thought is far too much to process.

I struggle to see Constance as a victim at the moment: Coercive control, cult, PTSD, MH..bla bla. Some women are just bad and should not have children.

Tell the police where your little baby is you wretched woman.
💯

Unfortunately the do-gooders and bleeding hearts are going to be all over this making her into the victim when all that really matters right now is an innocent, vulnerable infant. Whether still alive or sadly no longer with us.

I get so bleeping incandescent with rage over things like this. How many children do SS need to remove from one woman before enough is enough? The man is a danger as he is a convicted sex offender. He has no right to be a father in my eyes and should be nowhere near children - I don’t care that he has served his time. I think it’s fairly obvious she has picked him over her own children more than once hence why she is in this situation to begin with.

Reactions: 35
Because of both of their severe mental health issues and the fact that she has fallen in with someone who - probably due to his own mental health issues - has a huge distrust of the authorities. Mental health issues as others have pointed out don't discriminate according to wealth, in fact extreme wealth to this extent can aggravate mental health problems. Not that this equates in any way to the challenges that poverty brings when it comes to mental health. But it's very small minded to think that someone who's rich cannot suffer with their mental health. I have seen this first hand with people in my own life.

Has anyone else looked at MG's sister's FB? She is also very anti authorities/ pro crazy conspiracy theories.
Rosie love, I understand mental health. I haven't even mentioned it. You've misread my post entirely. I am anything but small minded.

What I was getting at with regards her wealth was why she ended up in a tent in a field in winter? If she had so much cash at her disposal then surely she could've chose other means.

For example a camper van, a caravan, a hotel, a b and b, an air b and b etc.

Yes they wanted to go off grid but as I said, Money talks, nothing had to be booked in theor name.

Reactions: 22
Perhaps they started to stash the money away once she found out she was pregnant. She knew SS would take the baby away. That gave them several months to accumulate such a large sum of money. Perhaps they set the car on fire themselves to destroy the evidence of her giving birth in it. No one knew she was pregnant it seems and she flew under the radar.

Reactions: 6
It's difficult to make sense of it from press reporting. Personally I don't know them and don't know if there are MH or drug issues, about any children removed previously etc.

There's scant information

Reactions: 3
You can be a victim and a perpetrator. I suspect she is a victim of coercive control but as a mother I find it impossible to accept that there's any excuse for her not telling the police where the poor little baby is.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Aside from the disgraceful act that they have done whether it be killing the baby intentionally or unintentionally. I actually can’t imagine giving birth with no medical assistance or at least not in a clinically sterile environment. Just thinking of the small things when I gave birth. Pads underneath you on the bed being changed whilst you’re in labour, I couldn’t even stand up for about 10 hours and even after that I had to ask a midwife (but was politely declined! 😂) to give me a shower as my body was just in so much shock. I just can’t imagine what that poor baby had to go through in his or her first few hours/days/months (unlikely) of life and I also can’t imagine it would have been nice for Constance. Please god if she has an inch of maternal care in her she just tells the police where the baby is whether he or she is alive or the latter.

Reactions: 18
Re the bank accounts and her taking money out -
a) amazed there’s not a more real time response to that, eg she’s taken cash out in East Ham and police can be at that cash point/searching the area within 5 minutes?
b) also amazed there’s not a power of attorney/some sort of sectioning power that can temporarily freeze accounts if someone is using that money to pose a danger to themselves or others

Conscious both are Facebook gammon opinions that involve compromising someone’s rights but how on earth was this allowed to go on for so long? That poor baby is definitely deceased and I can only imagine neither of them actually know where the little one is hence not saying. Horrific.
For b) I think the police/authorities probably only realised in retrospect that the withdrawals before going on the run were to fund that. Then when they were on the run, better to leave them access to something traceable and that could give them and more crucially the baby potential access to shelter.

Imagine if they froze it all and the headlines ended up being that they’d used a cash point in rural somewhere on a freezing night, it took the police 20 mins to get there by which point they’d vanished and then something was found to have happened to the baby with the parents saying “we tried to take out cash to go to a bnb but it was locked so we had no choice”.

Reactions: 12
I can't imagine how painful it is for your children to be removed from you so I feel some sympathy for them in that regard but how can they both be ok with not disclosing where the baby is. If the baby is alive then he/she will definitely need medical attention and if the baby has sadly passed he/she deserves a proper burial. I feel sick every time I think of that poor baby outside in the cold and what he/she has had to endure. :cry:

Reactions: 9
I imagine that the reason the older children were removed must be quite serious for them to be so concerned that this little baby would be removed straight away. This is so, so sad.

I think the baby is probably dead but my heart aches to think of there being an alive newborn left on its own somewhere, that's just awful.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Rosie love, I understand mental health. I haven't even mentioned it. You've misread my post entirely. I am anything but small minded.

What I was getting at with regards her wealth was why she ended up in a tent in a field in winter? If she had so much cash at her disposal then surely she could've chose other means.

For example a camper van, a caravan, a hotel, a b and b, an air b and b etc.

Yes they wanted to go off grid but as I said, Money talks, nothing had to be booked in theor name.
Sorry Della, I didn't mean to get your back up, I certainly didn't mean to suggest you were small minded but can see how it came across that way.

I think what I was trying to get across was that the reason why they aren't using her money to hide in more salubrious accommodations is because of their poor mental health. They clearly have some capacity to have evaded police for 50 odd days. But despite their money they have lived the chaotic lifestyle that sadly often accompanies extremely poor mental health. They moved around regularly, didn't pay their rent despite having the money, left their last home in such a state the ceiling was caving in. Witnesses said they lived a chaotic lifestyle in their last home.

Undeniably they had the money to have done what you have suggested at least for a short time. But their chaotic state of mind means that's not what they have chosen. I think they have also grown more and more desperate. They did start off in airbnbs and bought a car in cash. But when the baby was born and the net started closing in and it became more and more difficult for them to evade detection - all that was left to them was a tent in the woods and travelling on foot.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.