Constance Marten and Mark Gordon #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think before the judge gives the majority instruction he asks the jury if they think they’ll be an able to reach a verdict if he does.

I’m not sure though.

Reactions: 8
I imagine it’s made even harder by the fact there are only 10 jurors now? So if 9 can’t agree then it’s game over

Reactions: 11
I was called in for jury service a few months ago and I'm hoping this jury doesn't have a person like we had who was the sole reason for us being in the deliberation room for as long as we were.

She would only say "I don't know" when we were deliberating and when the judge told us he would accept a majority verdict of 10 with 2 disagreeing, she still was only saying "I don't know" (we had 2 who were strongly one way and 9 who were strongly the other way) we asked her if she was happy for us to tell the judge that we couldn't come to an agreement and she said no and that she could still be convinced one way or the other... It was the single most infuriating part of my jury service! We ended up telling the judge that we couldn't come to an agreed verdict probably 6 hours after we could have

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
I was called in for jury service a few months ago and I'm hoping this jury doesn't have a person like we had who was the sole reason for us being in the deliberation room for as long as we were.

She would only say "I don't know" when we were deliberating and when the judge told us he would accept a majority verdict of 10 with 2 disagreeing, she still was only saying "I don't know" (we had 2 who were strongly one way and 9 who were strongly the other way) we asked her if she was happy for us to tell the judge that we couldn't come to an agreement and she said no and that she could still be convinced one way or the other... It was the single most infuriating part of my jury service! We ended up telling the judge that we couldn't come to an agreed verdict probably 6 hours after we could have
I had someone similar to this when I did it. She just kept saying "I feel really bad that we could send somebody to prison, even if they did it". In the end we had a majority, she was the sticking point. I was forewoman and was really thorough in going over the evidence and the judge's direction. There was another woman who was adamant he was guilty but started going on about Mafia and that the accused was actually hired muscle etc which had nothing to do with the charges he faced so we had to go over all the evidence again and what the charge was. I don't doubt our decision for a second.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
What!!! They had ten days off, came in for a few days, had a week off, came in for day, had a three day weekend. Then one day in and now a 15 day break. There no time for them to get on with it. There constantly interrupted.

• Angry
Reactions: 29
I feel very sorry for the jury tbh. They were expecting this to be done with weeks ago, they have lives to live and all the stopping and starting and not knowing when it will end would make me feel really stressed out.

Reactions: 32
I feel very sorry for the jury tbh. They were expecting this to be done with weeks ago, they have lives to live and all the stopping and starting and not knowing when it will end would make me feel really stressed out.
Same, and no matter their opinions or verdict they are facing the responsibility of someone going to prison, or not. That must be heavy.

I can’t imagine how these ‘pauses’ are impacting it all.

If they knew this break was coming (holiday, medical need, etc) and were close to majority, I think they would have got there today.

Hopefully they’ve agreed on cruelty and are arguing over C/AD vs GNM.

It’s two more weeks of Daddy Bear and Clawstance apart though!

Reactions: 15
Mr Munch recently did jury service . He was picked for a trial with 4 defendants lasting AT least 12 weeks they said . His company would only “top up “ his allowance from the court to his normal wage level . The issue is you claim the allowance at the end of the trial ! Therefore 3 months with no wages ! The judge excused him . He wanted to do it and asked the court could they give payment during trial every 4 weeks but they wouldn’t. This worries me as whole swathes of the population can NOT afford to attend jury service !
I only found out recently there is NO counselling afterwards and you are left to fend for yourself ! (I’m a therapist ) I have read that is changing.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.