Christmas Watch 2022 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Shoebox Fairies is based in Wigan if anyone is local and wants to donate. They're on Instagram.

I'm making my first Christmas cake soon. I won't be adding booze (boo) so don't need to make it months and months in advance. It has to be gluten free so wish me luck 😅 I'm also going to make a GF yule log.

If anyone is GF I really recommend Becky Excell's cookbook. There is a Christmas section in one.

Is anyone advent calender mad? I have two for me and my child has four now 🙈 I like to drag Christmas out and it feels like getting a present every day. A bit OTT I know but I'm making up for lost Christmases.
Gluten free here too 🙋🏻‍♀️

I've made the Mary Berry recipe off BBC good food and literally replaced the flour with gluten free and a bit of xanthan gum and it's lovely 🙂

Love Becky Excell by the way and I'm going to make the Yule log as our Christmas Day pudding 😊

@jackieweaver’sauthority I made it this year with my 2 and 5 year old, the bonus is that it doesn't really need to look pretty and icing is quite salvageable 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
The main thing with Christmas cake is to bake it on a low temperature for quite a while.

There is no beating and making sure everything is in the right order like there is with a sponge cake as they are so dense with fruit.

Look on bbcgoodfood.com they have loads of easy recipes and comments from people so you can see if you are able to make it.

Most supermarkets sell presoaked fruit too so you can literally buy a bag if thar, whack some eggs, butter and flour in it and you have a cake
Presoaked fruit sounds good. Does the alcohol cook off? I’ve never had Christmas cake before 😂

Presoaked fruit sounds good. Does the alcohol cook off? I’ve never had Christmas cake before 😂
I'm not sure if it cooks off. You normally feed it with booze every week in the lead up to Christmas so it gets very boozy!

You could soak in tea or fruit juice if you don't want to use booze 😊

I put my Christmas tree up today 😂 I wanted to cheer my teenager up and to be honest I just wanted it done and dusted. She laughed her head off when she saw it after school and called me crazy 😅

It’s never went up before the 1st December in our house.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I'm not sure if it cooks off. You normally feed it with booze every week in the lead up to Christmas so it gets very boozy!

You could soak in tea or fruit juice if you don't want to use booze 😊
Thank you I appreciate you replying. The fruit juice option sounds good. I’d like to make it an annual tradition as I never had any like that growing up.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you I appreciate you replying. The fruit juice option sounds good. I’d like to make it an annual tradition as I never had any like that growing up.
Orange juice or apple juice would work nicely.

This recipe has lots of options and the comments are always helpful.

I know what you mean about making new traditions. Once you start making Xmas cakes they become second nature so you will be a pro in no time at all

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Seen poinsettias in the all the supermarkets the past few days. Horrid things :LOL: . I was given one a few weeks before xmas last year and it had the temerity to live to Summer despite being neglected completely. I must be an old sap cos I can't bring myself to throw away a living plant.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Gluten free here too 🙋🏻‍♀️

I've made the Mary Berry recipe off BBC good food and literally replaced the flour with gluten free and a bit of xanthan gum and it's lovely 🙂

Love Becky Excell by the way and I'm going to make the Yule log as our Christmas Day pudding 😊

@jackieweaver’sauthority I made it this year with my 2 and 5 year old, the bonus is that it doesn't really need to look pretty and icing is quite salvageable 😂
Looks a lovely Christmas cake. To be honest, I don't think I like it but I can't wait to make it regardless 😅

• Heart
  • Haha
Seen poinsettias in the all the supermarkets the past few days. Horrid things :LOL: . I was given one a few weeks before xmas last year and it had the temerity to live to Summer despite being neglected completely. I must be an old sap cos I can't bring myself to throw away a living plant.

Awh, I like them, especially the pink ones.

I'm impressed you manage to keep one alive until summer, 99% of them are dead before Christmas day, fussy bastards.

Reactions: 7
Does anyone do a Christmas bathroom? I saw a entire range of Christmas bathroom items in The Range today. I'm definitely going to be a Nana with a Christmas bathroom 😅 (one day)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Does anyone do a Christmas bathroom? I saw a entire range of Christmas bathroom items in The Range today. I'm definitely going to be a Nana with a Christmas bathroom 😅 (one day)
A Christmas towel, soap, a diffuser and a jug of artificial foliage is as far as I go. Oh and I'll add a ceramic ornament or 2 to the downstairs shower room as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
A Christmas towel, soap, a diffuser and a jug of artificial foliage is as far as I go. Oh and I'll add a ceramic ornament or 2 to the downstairs shower room as well.
I bought a bathmat with ho ho ho on it. The other half is thrilled lol

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Normally I'm all Christmassy, I'm not feeling it at all this year. Really struggling to get ideas for my mum/step dad
And people at work who I class as second family. Don't want to go overboard either this year.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.