Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh i relate my entire family are crap at giving presents so much so that i've given up and told them not to get me anything and i'll do the same (thank god).
Past presents included a chiffon scarf from my mum which was nice except for the fact that it was an old one of hers and still stank of perfume!
Another time my husband came into quite a bit of money so when he came to give me a present i was quite excited.
So i opened a rather large bag from a vintage shop and inside was a very long (for me i'm only about 5 foot 4) brown faux sheepkin coat...well it swamped me completely lengthwise ditto the sleeves and yet would not fasten properly across the chest and waist...:rolleyes: honestly i looked like an extra from minder in it either that or an ex kgb soviet agent (great combination! not!)
Thats my gripe then people who palm off unwanted/overused items..thanks..
Or a husband who buys gifts for how he wishes i looked i.e six foot tall and 2 stone lighter like thanks a bloody lot mate!!
So they are all going on santa's naughty list and no more presents for me (and i wouldn't mind but i always used to make an effort he has some lovely wool handcrafted jumpers in the right size but he never wears them and they stay in the back of his wardrobe..)
Honestly sometimes i think i was born into the wrong family!!
Ditto the uncle that sent me a christmas card which was nice because i hadn't heard from him from ages but then at the back of the card was a post it note he'd left on the back by mistake and on it was my name with not one but three question marks after it!!
k####y ???
So he can bog off as well..😘 as you can see we are not a very close knit family just as well then!!
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 6
Not really a moan, just gave me a bit of a giggle this morning. My granddad every year without fail will give me a Christmas card with £10 in it. I’m always happy with it, who doesn’t like free money?! So before I’d even got round to opening anything this morning, he calls, wishes me a merry Christmas and apologises that there’s not much in the card as he didn’t have much in his wallet and hasn’t been able to get to a cash machine as his car battery is dead 🤣 So at this point I’m thinking, “ok, maybe there’s £5 in it, still not gonna moan!” Told him that we were just about to start opening presents and I’d call him back in a couple of hours. Got round to opening his card and the first thing that made me laugh was the fact it was a birthday card where he had crossed out “happy birthday” and wrote “Merry Christmas” on it instead. Opened the card and I tit you not... the entire inside of the card was BLANK. No writing, no little card message, nothing and no money 😂😂😂 he completely forgot to write anything but thought he had and sent it. When I told him he was kicking himself but I couldn’t help but laugh. 😫
Thought that counts 🧡
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I had my dinner delivered by the company I work for (as a thank you and because I'm on my own) didn't expect anything other than that but they turned up with a present for me as well as my food... a used one direction gift set. I'm 27 and into rock/metal. I'm sure my manager will of had some idea this was going to happen. I'd of preferred a £1 selection box or something.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
My family posted my presents out to me which is kind but I wish they hadn't bothered 😂

Had chocolate from one family member, lovely, except I've been vegan for almost 3 years... they know this. I bring my own foods to gatherings at said family members house as a result of the veganism. I'm the only vegan in my family. They bought me a vegan chocolate Easter egg for easter this year...

I had my dinner delivered by the company I work for (as a thank you and because I'm on my own) didn't expect anything other than that but they turned up with a present for me as well as my food... a used one direction gift set. I'm 27 and into rock/metal. I'm sure my manager will of had some idea this was going to happen. I'd of preferred a £1 selection box or something.
A one direction gift set would genuinely be a banging gift for me 🤣 I love one direction😂😂
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I’ve received 1 dove set and 1 bottle of rose even though I make it clear I bloody hate rose 😂😂

Other than that no present moans here. Found out I’m going to be an auntie for the first time😭🤩 all I’ve done is cry over it this morning hahaha. I think even the very worst present won’t matter to me today!! 😄😄😄😄
Aww congratulations to you all on the lil baba. xx



Well presents have been opened and I'm now the proud owner of not one, not even two but four cat calendars 🙈 Welpp, one for each wall of the room I guess 😅
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
A friend gave me a key chain in the shape of a snow flake that doubles up as a bottle opener. Sadly, it is too weird to even regift.
I wonder why such things are even produced.

I got her a recipe book and a hardcover bestseller.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
Everyone apart from my boyfriend gives me money! I hate when people waste their money on cheap floral scented hand soap from boots. Just give me the fiver instead 😂
 
  • Like
Reactions: 12
Just managed to open my present from my stepdaughter (aka partners ex) loads of poundshop bubble bath and sheetmasks but then loads of tat with my name on spa slippers candle etc. Sound ungrateful but I got her (from daughter) a dressing gown from debenhams, a year calander diary which took me hours to pick out photos for everyweek and a lush bath bomb gift a good £70-80. I never learn that less is more
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I spent £80 on my nieces and nephews (3 kids total) and my sibling gave me a tenner in a card. I’m not bothered about the money but she doesn’t even make the kids say thank you. That seriously ducks me off. A few months from now I’ll see the gifts on FB marketplace after the kids are done with them, too.
 
  • Like
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
Everyone apart from my boyfriend gives me money! I hate when people waste their money on cheap floral scented hand soap from boots. Just give me the fiver instead 😂
Yeah I’m the same - I get money other than things I’ve asked for on a list and mostly things I need. Saves awkward moments and wasting money on tat that sits in a drawer for a few years!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I do think that some people just see a present, while others prefer thoughtful. I'm definitely a thoughtful gift giver and would much rather receive something thoughtful in return. The best present I got this year and the thing I loved the most was a really funny card that a family friend picked because they knew I'd laugh at it. I'd much rather that than something that I won't use or doesn't have any thought in it. But I think some people just aren't really bothered and just think of a present as a present. They've bought something to give and that's the job done, maybe because they're clueless or maybe they aren't really bothered about receiving gifts so they don't see the meaning for other people
 
  • Like
Reactions: 15
Not me, but my husband got his sister a voucher for £70 for her favourite restaurant and as he usually does, put both our names on the card.
She gave him a card with just his name on it and a £10 voucher for a local (tit) take away.

She's single and in a high paying job, so it's not that she can't afford it, she's just incredibly mean.
I wouldn't mind but the takeaway in question is one she knows we never go too because it's been closed down twice before due to hygiene breaches. There is another takeaway that we do go to and a voucher from there would have been okay.

I don't care on my own account because I know she doesn't like me anyway, but I'm angry and upset for my husband who puts a lot of thought into what he gets his family every year and just gets something like that back in return :(
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
oh not a used one 🤣 how did they not realise it was used?!
They probably did realise but just thought they'd give it to me anyway 😂 like thanks for all your hard work have a used paint covered gift set... I feel like I need better employers 🤣
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Thankfully most of my friends have learnt to not bother (a lot of us met a uni so never had the money and it just became habit!)

Sadly my family seem to get worse and worse at gifting! Since I moved away I think most of them just don’t have a clue what my tastes are any more 😂 The winner this year has to be my Aunt, her taste for herself is lovely and gifts are normally spot on but this year I got a framed image of a pink skirt and shoes, it almost looks like someone’s wedding photo?! Me and my partner have a strict rule of no random prints in the flat (as we don’t have much wall space!) so everything is either photos from our travels or illustrations we’ve picked up along the way. Not only that but my boyfriend has banned me from buying any more pink for the flat since I got pink bedding and sofa cushions 😂 so he won’t be impressed!!

I know it’s not bad compared to most of these in this thread (which make me LOL and facepalm simultaneously) but I absolutely HATE having things in the flat that I don’t love. Probably gonna have to donate it to a charity shop 😩
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I will almost certainly be contributing the gift from my MIL....likely some chocolate and socks. I've slowly realised (over 12 years) that Christmas just isn't a 'thing' to them. My husband is still baffled by everything my mum gifts us just because she loves buying it and it's usually very thoughtful and 'us'.
So this year I got an, admittedly regifted, Planet Earth DVD, which I can watch on Netflix. Truffles and a miniature pack of dark rum.....
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
Thankfully most of my friends have learnt to not bother (a lot of us met a uni so never had the money and it just became habit!)

Sadly my family seem to get worse and worse at gifting! Since I moved away I think most of them just don’t have a clue what my tastes are any more 😂 The winner this year has to be my Aunt, her taste for herself is lovely and gifts are normally spot on but this year I got a framed image of a pink skirt and shoes, it almost looks like someone’s wedding photo?! Me and my partner have a strict rule of no random prints in the flat (as we don’t have much wall space!) so everything is either photos from our travels or illustrations we’ve picked up along the way. Not only that but my boyfriend has banned me from buying any more pink for the flat since I got pink bedding and sofa cushions 😂 so he won’t be impressed!!

I know it’s not bad compared to most of these in this thread (which make me LOL and facepalm simultaneously) but I absolutely HATE having things in the flat that I don’t love. Probably gonna have to donate it to a charity shop 😩
I really felt this!! My mum loves to buy crappy ornament sort of stuff and then gets annoyed when I don't display it. (I normally put it in the wardrobe to be thrown away when I can). I'll give you an example. One year she got a bath set that came in a metal pineapple, so I took the bath stuff out and threw the pineapple away, only for my mum to fish it out of the bin and say "you were suppose to put this out. It's a decoration that's part of the set". IT'S A METAL bleeping PINEAPPLE. ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS WOMAN?!
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 20
I really felt this!! My mum loves to buy crappy ornament sort of stuff and then gets annoyed when I don't display it. (I normally put it in the wardrobe to be thrown away when I can). I'll give you an example. One year she got a bath set that came in a metal pineapple, so I took the bath stuff out and threw the pineapple away, only for my mum to fish it out of the bin and say "you were suppose to put this out. It's a decoration that's part of the set". IT'S A METAL bleeping PINEAPPLE. ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS WOMAN?!
No bathroom is complete without a metal pineapple
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Not me, but at my old job someone on my team always organised secret Santa. One year her secret Santa gave her a bag of plain tea lights. She was so upset and the guy who gave them to her couldn’t understand why she was annoyed.

Another year, someone on a different team always use to say how she was scared of frogs. The person on her team thought she was joking and bought her a toy frog. She burst out crying, shaking and had to go calm down
 
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.