Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm very intrigued this year. My parents always buy me clothes and either get it spot on or horrifically wrong to the point that I wonder if they've ever seen what I wear.

This year my Dad isn't here as he's been in hospital/a care home since April so mum has done all the shopping herself (we did say not to but its given her something to keep herself busy). I've always had an inkling she's the one who picks the random stuff and Dad gets it right...... Will find out tomorrow 😱😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I was so glad work didn't mention secret santa this year as I've had some right rubbish gifts when I'd spent ages picking out something my secret santa would like. The worst was a few years ago, I'd received a used trio of dusty, dirty make up bags that you could smell smoke on through the wrapping paper. It was so grim it ended up straight in the outside bin, didn't even cross into my house!

I've had a few presents over the years that just missed the mark & I've thought to myself that I'd rather a bath gift set as at least I'm likely to use it. I opened a present early, got excited as I unwrapped it I saw it was a jewellery gift box, opened the box & it was the blingiest bracelet which is not to my taste at all. I felt bad as they'd obviously made an effort but I very seldom wear jewellery other than a ring & earrings
When I do wear jewellery its always quite simple & understated so to see a big blingy bracelet I felt bad that they'd spent money on this atrocity that I'd never wear & can't regift as I don't think I know anyone who would like it. I feel awful but it feels good to get it off my chest haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I have a love hate relationship for secret Santa!! Always feel it should be a joke or nice! One year my friend got someone a Yankee candle gift set and she got back a clip on mini sat hat and a tube of smarties! Budget was £15! I’d rather you didn’t take part if you aren’t going to make any effort!!

I have a love hate relationship for secret Santa!! Always feel it should be a joke or nice! One year my friend got someone a Yankee candle gift set and she got back a clip on mini sat hat and a tube of smarties! Budget was £15! I’d rather you didn’t take part if you aren’t going to make any effort!!
I meant Santa not sat! Haha! Also when I say it should be joke or nice I mean it’s either everyone should do joke or everyone does nice! Rant over lol

Reactions: 6
Through my 20s my mum was obsessed with giving me a silver bangle each year. It was a lovely thought but I have the skinniest, nobbliest, ugliest wrists I've ever seen so this thing would clank around all over the gross bony bit and fall off randomly. I did gently tell her after the first time why I never wore it, but still for years after she carried on!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My friend got a gift 2 years ago from our mutual friend who we know pretty well. My friend had thought really hard what to get our mutual friend as did I. Our mutual friend got me a lovely gift set, whilst my friend received...a tigger (from Winnie the Poo) plush toy. Mind you, we were 18 at the time, but my friend doesnt collect plushies nor does she even like Winnie the Poo. Safe to say it was very quickly gifted to her younger sister :LOL:

Reactions: 5
Sis in law always gets me molten brown or lush products which I can't use as they make me itch but they don't go to waste. I use both as wardrobe freshners and just take the lids of the molten brown stuff.

From abroad my 🤨 mil always send me basic recipe books, that type you would give to someone who can't cook. They go straight to the charity shop after xmas. How to poach an egg, cook rice, make custard etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
The amount of people that buy me lush bath bombs knowing full well I don’t even have a bath in my house 😂 I expect at least one every year.

My Nan’s present is usually funny to open too. She’s 89 so doesn’t really spend much and isn’t able to get to the shops very well so the present is always something she’s won at the bingo 😂 it’s become a joke now of who gets the worst present from Nan (obviously we thank her and appreciate the thought regardless!)

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I hate Secret Santa too and its resulting unfunny jokey tat that a whole new category of pointless gifts has sprung up to cater for, usually stuff for blokes.

My worst secret santa was a sponge and a matching bar of cheap nasty soap both with Arse on one side and Face on the other, with a small pack of chocolate presumably to make it up to the £10 limit. I was upset because I wondered if someone was having dig, especially when I found out it was from a female not a male. (It wasn't, turned out she just thought it was funny). The team I was working on had only been together for about 3 months so nobody knew each other very well at the time, but if I had a £10 limit to buy for another female I didn't know too well I would keep it safe and buy a bottle of wine and/or box of chocs or even a boring safe candle, not waste it on pointless tat aimed at a bloke or teenage boy. (Having said that, I regifted it as a joke to my stepdaughter's boyfriend before giving him his real present and he thought it was hilarious).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Spot on. After my Nephews and Nieces turned 18 I stopped buying presents unless it’s a big birthday. They’re adults with jobs so I don’t see the point anymore.
My nephew is 30 and I'm 35 so not much of a age gap I cant afford much not in I high paid job like him and his partner so I treat them to a takeaway instead of presents for birthdays and Christmas. This Christmas he wanted kfc cost me a small fortune on just eat over 30quid. From him I've been naughty and opened my sister wanted to know what he got me a dove set that cost 2.49 my sister is well annoyed but I know he's a tight arse

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I used to be a lot bigger, and my Mum always buts me a jumper/Tshirt that is in my old size. It's been 3 Christmas' now and she's done it every year.
Her response is "Well I don't know what size you are now"
🤦🏻‍♀️😂 I have randomly dropped it many times in conversation what size I am.
She normally follows with "Oh well, just incase"

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
My FIL is either great at gifts or awful. My 21st birthday present was waiting to be delivered 9 years ago, he’s done this for the last three years for my Christmas present too.

This year we were offered online tickets to a musical (not for kids). We hate musicals and this week is my husbands busiest week of the year and he does not have time for that 🤣

Bless my mum she’s a bit hit and miss too. I think she’s given me an expensive bag she bought for herself and never used this year. Very grateful and understand as she hasn’t been shopping much but I find it funny!

My nephew is 30 and I'm 35 so not much of a age gap I cant afford much not in I high paid job like him and his partner so I treat them to a takeaway instead of presents for birthdays and Christmas. This Christmas he wanted kfc cost me a small fortune on just eat over 30quid. From him I've been naughty and opened my sister wanted to know what he got me a dove set that cost 2.49 my sister is well annoyed but I know he's a tight arse
He deserves a lynx set next time 😂

Reactions: 11
I will almost certainly be contributing the gift from my MIL....likely some chocolate and socks. I've slowly realised (over 12 years) that Christmas just isn't a 'thing' to them. My husband is still baffled by everything my mum gifts us just because she loves buying it and it's usually very thoughtful and 'us'.

Reactions: 2
A couple of years ago my auntie bought my 6 year old son a 'my first christmas' musical book 😂
I work in a supermarket, a couple of weeks ago a lady (probs mid 50s) came to my till with a “that’s not my.... unicorn” book. She asked if I thought it would be ok for a 5yr old girl, I said politely that I thought it was too young as my daughter had the same book since she was 1yrs old.

“Oh. Well I’ll get it anyway”

I tried 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
My worst secret santa was a sponge and a matching bar of cheap nasty soap both with Arse on one side and Face on the other
The first presents my (now) husband got me was a face/fanny soap and matching towel 🤦🏻‍♀️ The towel is now my hair dye towel.

🔹One christmas my sister got me a massive bag of bath salt
🔹The inlaws always get me a nasty smelling candle
🔹I bought my brother an expensive snow globe he got me a primark hot water bottle

Reactions: 3
I have posted many times on tattle about my HATRED for dove sets. I hate them. They're boring. They're a clear indication of "I dont know you at all but I had to get you a gift". I just detest them so much. Also i am allergic to nuts. This is all pertinent information.
Now, my brother in law... who I have known for over 5 years. Last year got me a bleeping PISTACHIO DOVE SET!! I wanted to throw it at him!!!
I am allergic to Dove, always have been and my family all know this. 3 times now my step daughter has bought me Dove Gift sets for Christmas. Not sure if she doesn't like me or just has no imagination when picking up the 3 for 2 gifts in Boots

• Haha
Reactions: 10
The one and only time I ever participated in the work Secret Santa I was given a jar of chocolate body paint. For a start I was single, for another thing I don't like chocolate so even if Santa had brought me a man wrapped up under the tree I'd not have used it. I just sat there and said 'Does this come in go large size?' as I wasn't small at the time either! 🤣🤣🤣

The other thing that does my head in is when people buy you a present, then sit telling you how much it cost! No, that's not the point of gift giving is it?!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I’m intrigued as to what my partners brother has got me. It’s been chocolate since 2015 so seeing if it’ll be the 6th year in a row!
Okay so our presents were dropped off and I do believe there is a box of chocolates 🤣 and a set of make up brushes my partner suggested.
Unfortunately the chocolates aren’t my moan. It’s my daughters first Christmas and her Uncle (BIL) has given her one gift. Forgive me if this sounds ungrateful, I do not feel that way at all and don’t want it to come across that way. This one gift he has already shown me what it is. It’s a toy for kids 18+ months and she’s 4.5 months old. My gripe is it’s a present she can’t use for over a year, we had asked for age appropriate toys, and if money was an issue (he earns far more than me, more than my partner and still lives at home with mum) then don’t buy for me and buy for your niece? I don’t know, it’s just really bugged me and don’t understand it. I’ll probably be over it come the chaos in the morning!

Okay so our presents were dropped off and I do believe there is a box of chocolates 🤣 and a set of make up brushes my partner suggested.
Unfortunately the chocolates aren’t my moan. It’s my daughters first Christmas and her Uncle (BIL) has given her one gift. Forgive me if this sounds ungrateful, I do not feel that way at all and don’t want it to come across that way. This one gift he has already shown me what it is. It’s a toy for kids 18+ months and she’s 4.5 months old. My gripe is it’s a present she can’t use for over a year, we had asked for age appropriate toys, and if money was an issue (he earns far more than me, more than my partner and still lives at home with mum) then don’t buy for me and buy for your niece? I don’t know, it’s just really bugged me and don’t understand it. I’ll probably be over it come the chaos in the morning!
My MIL never buys the right size clothes for my daughter and it drives me mental. I’ve told her the correct size and she never listens 😡

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.