Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I swear this is not my Channel.

---
I like looking at all the gifts.
The other night I was thinking about real tree vs fake tree. I was brought up with a real tree so to me that's xmas but my husband was brought up on fake. My parents when they retired decided to invest in a good quality fake tree as it was easier to put up and it does look nice. I found myself wondering if it would be cheaper and easier in the long run to get one? Any other arguments for an against real/fake trees than below?

For Real Tree
  • Feels like Christmas
  • Different shape and size every year which means different combination of decorations
  • The fresh smell the first couple of days
  • Tradition of going to pick it annually.
Against Real Tree
  • Sweeping up pine needles at the end and they go everywhere
  • Remembering to water
  • Must saw off end of trunk and water it before bringing in - generally more work than fake, have to give thought to timings.
  • More expensive in the long run?
For Fake Tree
  • Can put up when you feel like it
  • Takes less time/effort to put up and take down.
  • Saves money in the long run?
Against Fake Tree
  • Sometimes they're it's too perfect looking - won't feel like Christmas
  • Same shape annually - will it get boring after a few years having grown up with variety?
  • No fresh smell - although that tends to only last a few days unless you go right up and sniff it which I have been known to do!
I would go with what you can also afford. Buying a new tree each year adds up compared to a fake.

Reactions: 2

Merida91

The other night I was thinking about real tree vs fake tree. I was brought up with a real tree so to me that's xmas but my husband was brought up on fake. My parents when they retired decided to invest in a good quality fake tree as it was easier to put up and it does look nice. I found myself wondering if it would be cheaper and easier in the long run to get one? Any other arguments for an against real/fake trees than below?

For Real Tree
  • Feels like Christmas
  • Different shape and size every year which means different combination of decorations
  • The fresh smell the first couple of days
  • Tradition of going to pick it annually.
Against Real Tree
  • Sweeping up pine needles at the end and they go everywhere
  • Remembering to water
  • Must saw off end of trunk and water it before bringing in - generally more work than fake, have to give thought to timings.
  • More expensive in the long run?
For Fake Tree
  • Can put up when you feel like it
  • Takes less time/effort to put up and take down.
  • Saves money in the long run?
Against Fake Tree
  • Sometimes they're it's too perfect looking - won't feel like Christmas
  • Same shape annually - will it get boring after a few years having grown up with variety?
  • No fresh smell - although that tends to only last a few days unless you go right up and sniff it which I have been known to do!

Merida91

Walking around I noticed somebody had a very definite xmas bush outside their house and snowflake stickers in the windows. I know some people have winter décor, but is this pushing it in March? It's certainly spring like around here with flowers out.

Katienana

Definitely cost effective to get a fake tree, we were spending over £50 each year on a tree. I like being able to put it up early - although with a quality real tree I've always found they last (maybe because we live in an older draughty house) anyway if we buy around 10th December.
Can you get a great fake one and then squeeze a smaller real one in?

Marylou

VIP Member
I've bought one gift and have been picking up bits & pieces for others as I see them. Also managed to get a lot of bottle bags, pot pourri, Christmas oils and 2 decorations in the sales.

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I bought frozen theatre tickets instead for this month, so will do that instead of the ice skating show. Didn’t want to book too far ahead when I have no idea what my sister’s work schedule will be like 6 months time.

Joining the Scottish trust is also cheaper than the English version.
---
The English National Nutcracker ballet is also open to bookings.
---
I asked them to make a list of places they wanted to go/ do so we could space things out properly and mix in more free places like trips to Richmond Park and the V&A.

Last edited:

Geranium

VIP Member
Everything is down and packed away 😔. The hoover cylinder is 50% glitter.

Does anyone else like to count their cards? We're way down on previous years, I blame school and their eco policy this year. I do like to be environmentally friendly...but then I do like cards too!.
I do and I got fewer than ever this year! I’m really tempted to just stop but then they are the only contact I have with some folk .

Jyhy1110

VIP Member
I think I’ll wait till next week then contact the bank. It’s only 5 days today since they said about the refund. I ordered it to my work address and I’m next in at the weekend so I’ll double check nothing has been sent before I call the bank. Thanks again 😃
I work in a bank and sadly this happens all the time, report to your bank, if a debit card was used they will tell you to wait 15 days incase anything turns up, if a credit card was used it’s 30 days, so I would call them sooner rather than later within that 15 day period :)

Spanor511

VIP Member
I'd like some grinch decorations , I was convinced last Yr would be the yr we'd get some here . I seen the giant grinch costco had , I'd quiet like him . But I mean room decorations , figures etc the US have some lovely stuff we get novelty slippers 😡🤔🎅
Home Bargains had absolutely loads of Grinch stuff last year.

da1sycha1n

VIP Member
I don't care what people think, I will celebrate Christmas til the last day 🤣
Once the Christmas stuff comes down then I will put some solar lights outside just to cheer up the dark nights. It's what I like to call winter decor.
we've got solar lights around the decking fencing and hot tub house, sadly in my part of the country we haven't been getting a lot of winter sun, the hot tub house one's stay on for around 5 minutes at the moment as they are indoor and the solar thing is positioned on the inside of the glass the fence and railings for a little longer, during the summer the majority stay on until till dawn which is fab, we'll start to see a difference in light now we've passed the shortest day, looking forward to Spring, we've had so much to do with renovating the inside of the house, roughcasting the outside and getting the garden done we are now on the home straight weather permitting, so looking forward to enjoying the garden finally this year and great to think it will only be maintaining from now on :)

• Heart

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I miss Paperchase 💖
My notebook buying has drastically slimmed down since their closing! You can get some of the range online from tesco, but it's not the same 😓
I was also a huge Paperchase fan- all of my previous journals were £12 ones from there. They have been bought by Tesco, but I haven't seen much.

Have a look at Papier as an alternative. Pricer but they have £12 off referral codes online and black friday sales.

Has anyone seen any Christmas outings advertised yet especially east Anglia or even London area. Daughter is desperate to see Disney on ice again but nothing advertised yet and I thought that would be out by now if they were doing it.
Disney on Ice goes on sale on 24th May. The O2 dates are Boxing Day onwards.

• Heart