Chit chat #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morning my lovelies, I'm tempted to go and buy some Christmas food goodies today. I've also started writing down gift ideas when someone mentions what they want etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I bought the baby his first Christmas present the other day and I put it away, same day my fella found it, thought it looked good and opened it and gave it to him 😅🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I havent even thought about Christmas yet. We need to have an awkward conversation with my FiL first 😩🙈

Anyone else think up really good ideas for their littles for presents and then other people ask what to buy them so you end up telling them a few ideas off your list and then before you know it you've got nothing to buy them? 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Christmas is a big expense I really don't need this year. I have a massive family and for some reason, I end up buying for my cousins children. I've got 8 cousins, they've all got 2 kids each!! I've tried bringing it up before that this is really ridiculous and expensive and unnecessary and was told by my aunties, who buy for their nieces/nephews AND their children to stop being a scrooge!! It would be much simpler if everyone just bought for their own children, partners, parents and siblings and left it at that! Why do I need to buy for my extended family and get made to feel bad for pointing out how expensive it is!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
We only do a simple Christmas. My kids get 4 gifts - something they want ( usually a toy ) something they need ( fancy water bottles / umbrellas or similar) something to wear (label/branded stuff that I generally say no to) and something to read (books, all the books) from us.

I strongly disuade anyone else from buying them stuff just for the sake of it and only ever suggest a book token or a comic / magazine subscription.

Christmas is a big expense I really don't need this year. I have a massive family and for some reason, I end up buying for my cousins children. I've got 8 cousins, they've all got 2 kids each!! I've tried bringing it up before that this is really ridiculous and expensive and unnecessary and was told by my aunties, who buy for their nieces/nephews AND their children to stop being a scrooge!! It would be much simpler if everyone just bought for their own children, partners, parents and siblings and left it at that! Why do I need to buy for my extended family and get made to feel bad for pointing out how expensive it is!
You are not a scooge. Christmas shouldn't be about gifts anyway.

I'd just stop buying for them without saying anything.

#grinch

Last edited:
  • Heart
I have a big family my side and we do a secret Santa for all the adults and then we just buy the kids (there’s 6 of them) presents! So if i got my brother in secret Santa I’ll just get him a present and his kids and I’ll get a present off whoever gets me

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We only do a simple Christmas. My kids get 4 gifts - something they want ( usually a toy ) something they need ( fancy water bottles / umbrellas or similar) something to wear (mutually label/branded stuff that I generally say no to) and something to read (books, all the books) from us.

I strongly disuade anyone else from buying them stuff just for the sake of it and only ever suggest a book token or a comic / magazine subscription.

You are not a scooge. Christmas shouldn't be about gifts anyway.

I'd just stop buying for them without saying anything.

#grinch
I like this idea otherwise before you know it the kids have hundreds of presents they don't need/want.

I also dont buy all my cousins it would never bloody end! I just buy for parents/bf/siblings/aunts/uncles.

I've tried bringing it up before that this is really ridiculous and expensive and unnecessary and was told by my aunties, who buy for their nieces/nephews AND their children to stop being a scrooge!! It would be much simpler if everyone just bought for their own children, partners, parents and siblings and left it at that! Why do I need to buy for my extended family and get made to feel bad for pointing out how expensive it is!
AFAIK you just bought a house, also your aunts are being greedy if they think you’re being a Scrooge if you think you should not have to buy everyone expensive presents.

I love Christmas but I only buy for family and my god children.

Reactions: 2
@WilmaHun that's a lot of expense on you! My family is small thankfully.
We just send money to my nieces.
@watermelon sugar Secret Santa is a great idea. I can't stand buying just for the sake of it so I cut right back a few years ago.

• Heart
My problem isn’t so much the number of people I’m buying for (although I wouldn’t mind trimming that down) but I never feel like I’ve spent enough money/got them enough presents. My mum deserves the world so I always buy her lots of things, but then I feel like I need to spend the same on my dad so he isn’t left out, and if I’m doing that I may as well buy for my sister too etc. It’s a ridiculous problem, purely of my own making.

• Heart
Honestly we live pay to pay so Xmas is never a huge deal in this house. My kids get 1 big present and a few little presents each. But i make December a month long celebration. 'Elfie' delivers a few presents a week colouring books, reading books, cake ingredients etc and i build it up like that

• Heart
My kids are bigger now (one is an adult) so they like clothes and some money to spend in the sales or whatever. They still get a stocking but I put in stuff they need like nice toiletries. When I hear what some people spend I feel sad and annoyed at the same time.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I only buy gifts for my brothers dogs 😂 we're all skint in my family, and rather than gifts we share the cost of the dinner... Someone will get the booze, someone the meats, the chocolates, that sort of thing
Apparently in my family we'd rather get fat from turkey, wine and chocolates, than presents 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I only buy gifts for my brothers dogs 😂 we're all skint in my family, and rather than gifts we share the cost of the dinner... Someone will get the booze, someone the meats, the chocolates, that sort of thing
Apparently in my family we'd rather get fat from turkey, wine and chocolates, than presents 😂
That is not a bad thing at all!

We do a kind of Secret Santa that isn't a secret and we just buy for that person in my family. Everyone buys MiniGlenCoco presents as she is the only child currently. We only buy for my FiL on MrGlenCoco's side and then we've never bought gifts for friends as we all agreed early on that it wasn't necessary.

It can be such a huge pressure on you and it takes away the enjoyment when you have to buy for so many people.

A bit of an update,my mam rang me last night to tell Me she accidentally dyed her hair blue last night, she bought a cheap blonde dye out of the pound shop, and it turned her hair a blue grey and i haven’t stopped laughing since.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
How difficult is it to take your washing out of the tumble dryer when it's finished!?

If you can't be bothered then you can wait until the morning to wash your clothes instead of having it sitting in the machine for 15 hours :mad:

• Angry
  • Sad
For us the only child in our family both sides is little peaches so Christmas shouldn’t be too bad. But it’s the adults. They expect to be bought so many expensive presents. Mr Peaches family is the worst for it. My parents are like ‘we don’t want anything’ Luckily there’s been mass fall outs this year so I don’t intend on buying for any of his side.
My sister often sends through massive lists of what she wants off me. Last year was a Fitbit amongst other things and I just thought are you taking the piss??

• Wow
For us the only child in our family both sides is little peaches so Christmas shouldn’t be too bad. But it’s the adults. They expect to be bought so many expensive presents. Mr Peaches family is the worst for it. My parents are like ‘we don’t want anything’ Luckily there’s been mass fall outs this year so I don’t intend on buying for any of his side.
My sister often sends through massive lists of what she wants off me. Last year was a Fitbit amongst other things and I just thought are you taking the piss??
I’m sorry but what a cheeky witch! Like even if my partner walked up to and handed me a list of stuff they wanted I’d tell them to duck off never mind their sibling. The entitlement.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.