Children or No Children?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I adore my children wouldn't ever be without them but honestly one has additional needs and whilst he brings far more joy than hardship it's still hard. Watching him master things that have taken him longer than other children though is incredibly rewarding and brings so much fulfilment to my life . That being said my eldest isn't a teenager but thinks they are and my toddler is currently throwing toys around whining because she doesn't like the Ice lollies she chose so swings and roundabouts
šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 1
The airlines are pretty much taking the money and taking nothing else to do with it and hoping people will have good will which isnt right. šŸ™„

What would happen if noone would move to accommodate? Even those who havent prebooked I mean not the prebookers. The plane doesnt go?

They know what passengers are on board, they know who has prebooked. How does it even get to that point?!? It bamboozles me.
I completely agree. I have been on holidays without the kids, where weā€™ve paid for seats, and I wouldnā€™t be happy if I was expected to move, but then I also understand kids needing to be with the parents. I donā€™t understand why the airlines get away with it and people are then pitted against each other?

That's what I mean though! It is hard to avoid the extreme views because that's mostly what people tend to share online. Not many people will go online and talk about them having a good balanced day with their child. They will go on to either moan about or talk about how much they love their child šŸ¤£

Also all this is such a controversial topic for people that it brings a lot of clicks and comments. I've noticed so many articles recently about related things, e.g.:

- about people refusing to give up their plane seat for a child
- about rebel Wilson going to a party a week after her child was born
- women going back to work quickly or never going back to work after having a child

Etc. Etc. It all works even more to divide everyone and sounds like everyone has an opinion about what people do regarding children. So much pressure from everywhere
fully agree with all of this and i also have always thought (in amongst the two extreme viewpoints) the people who are childfree not by choice (be it by circumstance, timing, fertility issues etc) are always forgotten. i have a friend who always gets lumped into the childfree conversation with me, but she is very much not childfree by choice. she just never met a man to settle down with and could not afford to go it alone. i always feel awful when people try and engage with her on the same level that they do with me because our circumstances are very much not the same even if they look like they are.

like you say, women canā€™t win any way. have a child, donā€™t have a child, have too many children, have an only child, have all boys are you trying for a girl etc etc. society has a lot to answer for!

Reactions: 7
I always prebook cos Iā€™m scared of turbulence and I read somewhere that you feel turbulence less the nearer the front you are! So I would politely refuse if someone asked me to move seats, especially if it was near the back, as otherwise Iā€™d have a panic attack if turbulence hit haha

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes but as I said before, Iā€™m not talking about the thread on here as Iā€™ve never been on it!
Iā€™m talking about stuff Iā€™ve seen on twitter by child free advocators
This kind of confirms why I don't use twitter šŸ¤£ the thread on here is very different

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Im not childfree, I have 2 children and it is by far the hardest part of my life. I dont regret having them, I'd not change the fact I had them. The older they get the more I enjoy being a parent. I love that they are little people/young adults now and we can enjoy things together. I really struggled with babyhood.

I am crushed by the weight of others expectations though, that my children should just 'behave' and that their behaviour is a direct correlation to my input as a parent.

If you have time on your side and youre undecided them definitely take the time to try and decide.

I can completely see why people would choose to stay childfree. Looks fab to me, despite the fact I wouldnt change my decision.

I do keep my kids separate from my childfree friends. I wouldnt dream of them tagging along for a lunch out or whatever. šŸ™ˆ absolutely not.

Edit - just saw the disability discussion. I have one neuro diverse child and it is challenging every single day. Very stressful.
I just wanted to say CF that you always state what I'm thinking in a much more eloquent way. Your words of wisdom are very much appreciated.

I completely agree. I have been on holidays without the kids, where weā€™ve paid for seats, and I wouldnā€™t be happy if I was expected to move, but then I also understand kids needing to be with the parents. I donā€™t understand why the airlines get away with it and people are then pitted against each other?
If Iā€™ve paid for an exit seat or extra leg room then no Iā€™m not swapping seats with you cause you didnā€™t book your child a seat. If youā€™re just sat in basic Row 14 seat A with no view then yes please it would be nice if I could sit by my child.
If not enjoy your 6 hour flight with my kid while I have a break and Iā€™ll buy you a pot of Pringles for your trouble xx

this is a beautiful post šŸ’™ and i fully agree with it.

iā€™ve done a lot of soul searching as to whether my personality and my lifestyle will suit a child as (like you say) they are actually little beings (who donā€™t come with a returns receipt) who arenā€™t going to act the way you want them to a lot of time. asides from my ocd, as mentioned above, i donā€™t cope well with people being in my space all the time, being fully responsible for someone elseā€¦. i think i know in my heart i wouldnā€™t be a good parent and a child wouldnā€™t have a good time with me (in the most basic of terms!)
Thereā€™s a phrase ā€˜a bad mum doesnā€™t worry about being a bad mumā€™. While that obviously doesnā€™t mean you should definitely have children, I think thereā€™s something to be said for the fact that at least people who are on the fence about it are actually considering and weighing up the realities of having a child which probably does make you much more prepared than a lot of parents!

It is a massive life change, it tests your relationships and itā€™s full on (we donā€™t have family around us and Iā€™ve quit my job to be a SAHM which I do feel very fortunate to have been able to do).

However I love my little boy a ridiculous amount and could not ever envisage a world without him now, Iā€™ve always been an impatient person but itā€™s amazing the patience and love you suddenly develop. Itā€™s a real privilege seeing him grow up and how quickly heā€™s learning new things. Heā€™s so happy and developing such a sense of humour heā€™s such fun to be around and I genuinely love hanging out with him and taking him to new places. Itā€™s cheesy but he really is my best friend.

This isnā€™t to convince anyone by any means, I absolutely support the reasons for being childfree. I just wanted to share some positivity as itā€™s not always mums moaning, I think a lot of times our thread is actually quite funny and you can tell how much everyone loves their little ones ā¤

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Honestly I think most people care whether others or not have kids about as much as they care what colour your bedsheets are.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I just wanted to say CF that you always state what I'm thinking in a much more eloquent way. Your words of wisdom are very much appreciated.
This is so lovely šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ I appreciate it. ā¤

I think your kids are slightly younger than mine and seriously the best times are yet to come. I feel like I enjoy my children so much more with every passing year. Dont get me wrong with age comes challenges but I love that they can communicate well and we do lots of things together. I had my eldest quite young and I really treasure our relationship now. Drives me crazy most days but I love what we have.

Also on another note I am a child in a parent/child dynamic and I love the adult relationship I have with my father. He is my best friend, I love spending time with him. My goal is to be that parent šŸ„ŗ

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thereā€™s a phrase ā€˜a bad mum doesnā€™t worry about being a bad mumā€™. While that obviously doesnā€™t mean you should definitely have children, I think thereā€™s something to be said for the fact that at least people who are on the fence about it are actually considering and weighing up the realities of having a child which probably does make you much more prepared than a lot of parents!

It is a massive life change, it tests your relationships and itā€™s full on (we donā€™t have family around us and Iā€™ve quit my job to be a SAHM which I do feel very fortunate to have been able to do).

However I love my little boy a ridiculous amount and could not ever envisage a world without him now, Iā€™ve always been an impatient person but itā€™s amazing the patience and love you suddenly develop. Itā€™s a real privilege seeing him grow up and how quickly heā€™s learning new things. Heā€™s so happy and developing such a sense of humour heā€™s such fun to be around and I genuinely love hanging out with him and taking him to new places. Itā€™s cheesy but he really is my best friend.

This isnā€™t to convince anyone by any means, I absolutely support the reasons for being childfree. I just wanted to share some positivity as itā€™s not always mums moaning, I think a lot of times our thread is actually quite funny and you can tell how much everyone loves their little ones ā¤
this is a very kind and empathetic post - thank you šŸ’™

i think iā€™ve made my peace with it a little: there are aspects of having children that seem wonderful (like you say!) and there is, i guess, sadness that i will never have that but i think i also know it maybe wouldnā€™t be like that for me. if that makes sense! i would hate to have one in the hope i would surprise myself and then to realise it was going exactly as i thought it would.

iā€™ve genuinely enjoyed reading you ladiesā€™ posts here! like i said upthread, i think we can offer value to each other (if from polar opposite sides) and i appreciate the gentleness of your response to me. i know it hasnā€™t always been earnt!
---
Honestly I think most people care whether others or not have kids about as much as they care what colour your bedsheets are.
i wish i could say this was true but, in my real life, i have had (and continue to have) a huge amount of comments about it. thankfully getting less as i get older!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Iā€™ve just been downstairs to make a brew after a big teams meeting. I was met with my husband and daughter painting me a Motherā€™s Day card and Iā€™ve come back upstairs with paint on my face that wonā€™t come off and it is about to continue in 10 minutes.

Feel free to add this to the list of cons šŸ˜‚

@LaBlonde sorry to see youā€™re also a sufferer of OCD, itā€™s a huge invisible struggle and I wouldnā€™t wish it upon anyone. However, donā€™t do a disservice to yourself, youā€™ll be surprised what you can do when faced with things (and I mean that even without children).

I was in therapy for 13 months, still struggling but hell Iā€™ve come a long way šŸ˜‚

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Iā€™ve just been downstairs to make a brew after a big teams meeting. I was met with my husband and daughter painting me a Motherā€™s Day card and Iā€™ve come back upstairs with paint on my face that wonā€™t come off and it is about to continue in 10 minutes.

Feel free to add this to the list of cons šŸ˜‚

@LaBlonde sorry to see youā€™re also a sufferer of OCD, itā€™s a huge invisible struggle and I wouldnā€™t wish it upon anyone. However, donā€™t do a disservice to yourself, youā€™ll be surprised what you can do when faced with things (and I mean that even without children).

I was in therapy for 13 months, still struggling but hell Iā€™ve come a long way šŸ˜‚
this is very kind of you! iā€™m so sorry to hear that you suffer too - it is truly the thief of joy sometimes! but amazing work on therapy, you should be extremely proud of yourself for that šŸ’™

thank you for your kind words too: i set myself little goals every year and things are getting better. i think i surprise myself (hopefully like you do too!) with small victories and can only keep on doing that x

• Heart
Honestly I was never sure if I wanted kids until one day something just clicked and then suddenly it was like that was all I wanted.

Yes itā€™s bloody tough. The journey to get there wasnā€™t easy, we had a rough start and then when you are suddenly allowed to take a tiny baby home itā€™s the most terrifying thing in the world. Yes, some days are tit and I sit and cry but other days Iā€™m on top of the world. But thenā€¦ this isnā€™t really new for me? I always had good and bad days, itā€™s just in a different way.

That being said, being a mum is honestly the best thing Iā€™ve ever done, seeing her smile when I walk into the room beats it all. My life hasnā€™t stopped, itā€™s just changed for the better.

Oh and I still have a cheeky wine on an evening šŸ·

• Heart
Reactions: 9
this is a very kind and empathetic post - thank you šŸ’™

i think iā€™ve made my peace with it a little: there are aspects of having children that seem wonderful (like you say!) and there is, i guess, sadness that i will never have that but i think i also know it maybe wouldnā€™t be like that for me. if that makes sense! i would hate to have one in the hope i would surprise myself and then to realise it was going exactly as i thought it would.

iā€™ve genuinely enjoyed reading you ladiesā€™ posts here! like i said upthread, i think we can offer value to each other (if from polar opposite sides) and i appreciate the gentleness of your response to me. i know it hasnā€™t always been earnt!
---

i wish i could say this was true but, in my real life, i have had (and continue to have) a huge amount of comments about it. thankfully getting less as i get older!
People comment regardless though honestly, you can never get it right. No kids, too many kids, keep trying for a boy, keep trying for a girl, nursery, no nursery, BF or bottle etc. If not this then everything else in your life. Itā€™s your life and your choice, you who would have to be pregnant, give birth and care for the child, so no one elseā€™s opinion matters (other than your partner obvs lol). Donā€™t worry yourself with what anyone else has to say because even if they agreed, youā€™d just do something else they scorned at, itā€™s human nature.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Iā€™m going to put my two pence in, but I was child free by choice until into my 30ā€™s. I was adamant I didnā€™t want children (I had nieces and nephews to fill that void) and when I met my husband, the feeling to have a family and seeing others started to make me question my choices- which I think was a big red flag. Iā€™m not maternal in the slightest and this was something that massively worried me too.

Iā€™m very fortunate to say that Iā€™m well travelled, got to where I want in my career, yet my husband and I still felt something was missing- We became bored of lying in, going for walks, drinking/nights out and doing the regular stuff and came to realise that we wanted a family.

Iā€™m not going to stand on my soapbox and say ā€œyou donā€™t know what youā€™re missingā€, as there are days where Iā€™m tested and I think ā€œgood grief, give me those lie ins backā€ but itā€™s the most fulfilling thing Iā€™ve ever done and I found out I am actually very maternal. Itā€™s crazy how a little person just comes into your world when you think your heart is already full (maybe it was the part of me that I never knew was missing), but I wouldn't want to be in a life without her. Life really does change and for me, luckily it was for the better!

the saying is true- itā€™s different when itā€™s your own. I think you really have to think about these things and give it time (I appreciate time isnā€™t on everyoneā€™s side). but the biggest things for me were, questioning my choices, did I want to remain at the point I was at and did I want to get to a point where it was all too late and always think ā€œwhat if?ā€ (Early menopause runs in my family, so time was a bit of a worry for me!).

Follow your heart whether it be with or without children, only you and your partner know what will make you truly happyā€¦
This was literally me. I was not broody at all and it made me doubt if I wanted them or not. I was waiting for that longing to kick in and it didnā€™t happen. My husband and I had discussed children before getting married and heā€™d made it clear he wanted them but he wanted me more and was happy to get married knowing I may not change my mind. Years past and a pregnant colleague made me ask him if he was waiting for me to get broody because it wasnā€™t going to happen. Again, it prompted us to sit down and discuss our feelings honestly. We agreed to not try to prevent it and see what happens.
When we got the line saying pregnant after 8 weeks my husband asked ā€œ are you ok? ā€œ šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚
With hindsight I think I was always ā€œ maybe one day ā€œ and sadly us women donā€™t have all the days, itā€™s just an extra pressure we have to face.
Its hard to know for sure but I do genuinely feel my husband and I would still be happy today without children, our lives wouldā€™ve just been different.
I still canā€™t stand other peopleā€™s children or too much mumsy talk šŸ¤£.

Reactions: 3
Honestly I was never sure if I wanted kids until one day something just clicked and then suddenly it was like that was all I wanted.

Yes itā€™s bloody tough. The journey to get there wasnā€™t easy, we had a rough start and then when you are suddenly allowed to take a tiny baby home itā€™s the most terrifying thing in the world. Yes, some days are tit and I sit and cry but other days Iā€™m on top of the world. But thenā€¦ this isnā€™t really new for me? I always had good and bad days, itā€™s just in a different way.

That being said, being a mum is honestly the best thing Iā€™ve ever done, seeing her smile when I walk into the room beats it all. My life hasnā€™t stopped, itā€™s just changed for the better.

Oh and I still have a cheeky wine on an evening šŸ·
Couldnā€™t agree more ā¤

For anyone who is interested Iā€™d really recommend the book ā€˜A Mothers Reckoningā€™ by Sue Klebold the mum of Dylan Klebold one of the Columbine Shooters. Itā€™s such a thought provoking commentary on parenting that you can give your child all the love in the world and think youā€™ve done everything right by them and they can still carry out horrendous atrocities against themselves and others. It talks a lot about recognising poor brain health in others, especially where this is a concern for some of you in potentially having and raising children.

Although her son unfortunately did what he did she wouldnā€™t go back and not give birth to him, sheā€™d change her parenting but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I donā€™t know what point Iā€™m trying to make here (story of my life) but itā€™s a great read from the perspective of a parent that you canā€™t always save your children but you shouldnā€™t rob yourself of that joy and memories from fear of who they could be.

People comment regardless though honestly, you can never get it right. No kids, too many kids, keep trying for a boy, keep trying for a girl, nursery, no nursery, BF or bottle etc. If not this then everything else in your life. Itā€™s your life and your choice, you who would have to be pregnant, give birth and care for the child, so no one elseā€™s opinion matters (other than your partner obvs lol). Donā€™t worry yourself with what anyone else has to say because even if they agreed, youā€™d just do something else they scorned at, itā€™s human nature.
exactly: and the first part of your post is so right. i think you can never ā€œwinā€ any which way, someone will always comment on something. i just need to get that into my head most of the time šŸ¤£šŸ’™

In my experience though people with kids tend to act like you just donā€™t understand life at all if youā€™ve not got your own and itā€™s very condescending.

I think something the CBFC thread gets right is acknowledging that itā€™s actually a really unhelpful narrative from parents that you donā€™t know love until youā€™ve been a parent, you donā€™t know anything like it til youā€™ve been a parent, blah blah blah, as if your life is empty without it. IMO the ā€˜you donā€™t know anything like itā€™ gatekeeping of understanding basic human emotions such as love just makes people on the fence massively roll their eyes and get put further off. Although admittedly as an outsider its often easy to realise that a lot of the time it comes from a place of bitterness and/or trying to convince themselves that theyā€™re actually happy with their decision šŸ˜… either that or their lives really were properly tit before, so much so that having someone literally shitting on them is an improvement

But itā€™s still something people without children hear all the time, this idea that youā€™re not fulfilled without it, whereas having children is still seen as the ā€˜normā€™. A lot of the things you mention about BF or non BF or whatever seems to be from mums tearing other mums apart to feel better about themselves (at least I assume? It seems toxic anyway), other people literally couldnā€™t give a tit about any of that.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.