Childfree by choice #6 Sleeping well at night, petition for childfree flights

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's totally inconsequential compared to some of the stuff people have spoken about on this thread, but does anyone else get filled with unexplained rage when normal, everyday things somehow get twisted into something mum-specific? "Mum bun" is the worst one for some reason, as though 90% of women with at least medium length hair don't throw their hair up when they're lazing around the house (or maybe I'm just a slob!). I also hate "this mama heart :sick: (possibly quite niche as it tends to only be the American Christian anti-vax type women who say this and they're like a car crash I can't look away from, so it's completely self-inflicted.)

Some other honourable mentions are needing coffee because they're a mum, wearing comfy clothes because they're a mum, having a"mum bod" which very often doesn't actually seem to look all that different to many women without kids, having some me-time because they're a mum, etc. Nothing worse than the 'mum bun' for irrationally boiling my piss though!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
@zoominmoom yes absolutely, I saw a video on Instagram yesterday with a caption something like ‘you don’t know fun until you’ve been out with a mum who doesn’t have her kids for the night’ and it was a woman in a sparkly dress ‘dancing’ like an absolute idiot on the tube platform. Not my idea of fun but also are none of us ‘fun’ now either because we haven’t known the restriction a kid puts on your life and the subsequent ‘freedom’ on a rare night out? I prefer having my freedom all the time and not showing myself up every time I can go out, personally 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
I came across the word Boddler today 😂
Weirdly I just saw a thread for 'boddlers' come up on here! I assumed it was someone who's not quite baby, not quite toddler, but I clicked on it out of curiosity and there's a poll about how old your boddler is and the youngest category is 0-3 months. Surely that's absolutely not a 'boddler' by any stretch of the imagination! Whatever it means it makes me think of Bodger & Badger whenever I type it out 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
@judgejohndeed I saw the exact same video and had the same thoughts. It's like everything that isn't baby/child related has to somehow be made baby or child related. Wouldn't you just want to enjoy your night out without making it about being a mum on a night out? Sometimes I wonder if making every aspect of your life and personality reliant on being a mum is a recent phenomenon, because I feel like when I was a kid my mum just got on with her life and we were an aspect of it, but we weren't her whole life (in the nicest way possible!).

Reactions: 14
It's totally inconsequential compared to some of the stuff people have spoken about on this thread, but does anyone else get filled with unexplained rage when normal, everyday things somehow get twisted into something mum-specific? "Mum bun" is the worst one for some reason, as though 90% of women with at least medium length hair don't throw their hair up when they're lazing around the house (or maybe I'm just a slob!). I also hate "this mama heart :sick: (possibly quite niche as it tends to only be the American Christian anti-vax type women who say this and they're like a car crash I can't look away from, so it's completely self-inflicted.)

Some other honourable mentions are needing coffee because they're a mum, wearing comfy clothes because they're a mum, having a"mum bod" which very often doesn't actually seem to look all that different to many women without kids, having some me-time because they're a mum, etc. Nothing worse than the 'mum bun' for irrationally boiling my piss though!
Same as the mum bob, as if any woman over 30 who doesn't have kids must have really long hair 😑

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
@judgejohndeed I saw the exact same video and had the same thoughts. It's like everything that isn't baby/child related has to somehow be made baby or child related. Wouldn't you just want to enjoy your night out without making it about being a mum on a night out? Sometimes I wonder if making every aspect of your life and personality reliant on being a mum is a recent phenomenon, because I feel like when I was a kid my mum just got on with her life and we were an aspect of it, but we weren't her whole life (in the nicest way possible!).
I think I've said this before but honestly one of, if not maybe THE biggest factor in my choice to not have kids, is the way it's meant to become your whole identity. I simply do not want to frame every other aspect of my life/personality in relation to a child/being a mother. People treat it like if being a parent doesn't completely consume you then you're doing it wrong.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I think I've said this before but honestly one of, if not maybe THE biggest factor in my choice to not have kids, is the way it's meant to become your whole identity. I simply do not want to frame every other aspect of my life/personality in relation to a child/being a mother. People treat it like if being a parent doesn't completely consume you then you're doing it wrong.
YES, this is horrifying to me!!! Being "Mum" only and not "MyName". It's akin to a death ☠

• Heart
Reactions: 10
YES, this is horrifying to me!!! Being "Mum" only and not "MyName". It's akin to a death ☠
Exactly, it's very much like the death of you as a person. Everything about you becomes about your motherhood - if you work you're now a 'working Mum', if you don't work you're a stay at home Mum, if you're in shape you're a 'yummy Mummy', if you're not then you're carrying 'baby weight' forever. My friend who had a baby recently has started exercising again and she was saying how annoying it was when people are saying she's an 'active Mum', as if she wasn't already in shape before her baby because she just likes exercising...you can't do anything without it being somehow mum-ified, I would hate it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Mum jeans 👖😁
Netmums/Mumsnet
Mum gifts - what about us?🤷😄
1673983205128.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
what in the world is a boddler?!

is it a baby/toddler hybrid for people who don’t want their babies to grow up? 🤷🏼‍♀️
No idea. I thought 0-1 year is a baby, 1-3 is a toddler, 3+ is a child. Once you're old enough for proper school nursery are you still a toddler? I would say old enough for a school uniform = child. Then again, clearly I am not a child expert so that could be crap 😂

Weirdly I just saw a thread for 'boddlers' come up on here! I assumed it was someone who's not quite baby, not quite toddler, but I clicked on it out of curiosity and there's a poll about how old your boddler is and the youngest category is 0-3 months. Surely that's absolutely not a 'boddler' by any stretch of the imagination! Whatever it means it makes me think of Bodger & Badger whenever I type it out 😂
Agreed but (see above) to me I don't know what not quite a baby not quite a toddler is? A toddler is past the baby stage and is toddling no? 0-3 months is not toddling? neither is 6 months. Those are babies. 10 months+ is surely boddler territory? Idk folks, I'm not here to judge. I just can't figure it out😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Get a kindle! They're the best 😍. Everyone is different, but I find that I read a lot more because of my kindle!
I second getting a kindle! I love mine, and same I found I read a lot more than I do with regular books. Mine has a backlight so I read it in bed with the lights off and just fall asleep,
Could you recommend which Kindle to get please? I've been looking for a few months, but can't decide!

I have the paperwhite and I love it!

Don't get a fire.
I second this! Just recently upgraded from an older kindle to a paperwhite. I love being able to read in bed in the dark now so that I don't disturb my partner when he's sleeping 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Could you recommend which Kindle to get please? I've been looking for a few months, but can't decide!
Absolutely get a Paperwhite, I convinced about seven people to get one after they saw mine and they all love them. Don’t get a Fire and don’t get the cheapest Kindle without the light, the Paperwhite really is the best thing out there!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have the paperwhite and I love it!

Don't get a fire.
I second this! Just recently upgraded from an older kindle to a paperwhite. I love being able to read in bed in the dark now so that I don't disturb my partner when he's sleeping 😅
Absolutely get a Paperwhite, I convinced about seven people to get one after they saw mine and they all love them. Don’t get a Fire and don’t get the cheapest Kindle without the light, the Paperwhite really is the best thing out there!
Thank you all :giggle: I've got some John Lewis vouchers to use so shall be ordering one tomorrow. x

• Heart
Thank you all :giggle: I've got some John Lewis vouchers to use so shall be ordering one tomorrow. x
Yesssss, sorry I was late to the convo but just wanted to agree with everyone that paperwhite is the way to go!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Why not kindle fire? Normally I’d apologise for being off topic but it illustrates the beauty of our situation, getting to chat and not having to look after some snotty child/ be tired after having put it to bed/ the last thing before you close your eyes thinking about its school bag 😆

Reactions: 6
I'm expecting a small bonus from work next month, fingers crossed, so you and the reading chat ladies convinced me to get a paperwhite as well, thanks for the recs!

Exactly, it's very much like the death of you as a person. Everything about you becomes about your motherhood - if you work you're now a 'working Mum', if you don't work you're a stay at home Mum, if you're in shape you're a 'yummy Mummy', if you're not then you're carrying 'baby weight' forever. My friend who had a baby recently has started exercising again and she was saying how annoying it was when people are saying she's an 'active Mum', as if she wasn't already in shape before her baby because she just likes exercising...you can't do anything without it being somehow mum-ified, I would hate it.
This is such a good point, I didn't even realise it until you said it. Having a child should change your life but it doesn't have to change the fact that you are a person separate from them. Sucks that this doesn't happen with men but mothers are instantly turned into an extension of their kid.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.