Childfree by choice #6 Sleeping well at night, petition for childfree flights

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have someone coming back to our team after a very long mat leave. She's sent an email saying she's looking forward to coming back and introducing us to her 'new little best mate' who is 'the best thing ever' and she 'could talk about him all day every day!'. With no less than TWELVE photos of the kid. 😳

I hope I don't get sat next to her next time we're in the office. 🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
Have been reading through the thread and on the topic of kids in restaurants/cafes… I love going out early some mornings on my day off for coffee and to read my book. Mostly, it’s quiet as I go before the after school rush, but a few times a parent has brought a kid in and the kid screams, makes a mess, runs around, or is just generally noisy. I know if I wanted to read in silence I should just stay at home, but letting a child go feral like some of them do… eugh.

Last week there was a guy in with what must’ve been a 3 year old strapped in a buggy with one of those chunky kids tablets blaring the jingle tune that a lot of kids YouTube videos have. The kid was absolutely glued to it, wasn’t smiling or laughing or anything, just a vacant expression, and the dad sat scrolling on his phone the whole time they were in. I felt so sorry for the kid. Ok fair enough using the tablet to keep kids entertained while you’re out doing menial tasks, but when sitting like that in the company of each other, I don’t know, maybe put them down?

When we were young our parents would talk to us or, like someone else has already said, we were given an activity sheet and crayons. Either that, or our parents packed our own story or colouring in books.

I’ve had mums make passive aggressive comments to me before about the free time I have being childfree and I’m just like… you give you’re kid an iPad to keep them quiet so surely you understand why I love my free time??? Or maybe that’s why they’re passive aggressive.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
God, if you ever see a lone man pushing a buggy and not glued to his phone, will you let us all know? The lazy, shiftless arseholes never seem to spend any time interacting with their own children, and they all walk along staring at their phone as though it alone can prevent their testicles from falling off. HATE.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
God, if you ever see a lone man pushing a buggy and not glued to his phone, will you let us all know? The lazy, shiftless arseholes never seem to spend any time interacting with their own children, and they all walk along staring at their phone as though it alone can prevent their testicles from falling off. HATE.
Seconded. Seeing men treating parenting as a chore turns my stomach. No, you're not bleeping "babysitting" Ron, that's your own child. You don't deserve a medal and a pat on the back for successfully changing a single diaper, bottle feeding or wiping the floor after your toddler spills. The bar is so low for men it's a tripping hazard yet they still find a way to limbo underneath it. I don't know how anyone can agree to become parents with people like these when they keep saying "yah this isn't really my thing haha". Perish, you prick.

(I keep seeing reels from some guys calling out behaviour like this on Instagram and kudos to them. This shouldn't fly in 2023 yet here we are.)

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I’m a vet nurse and I had a lady visiting for an appointment with her cat this morning. She brought her little girl in with her (I’d say around five years old) who spent the entire consultation screaming she was bored when I was trying to talk. The mum made no effort to tell her to be quiet, she just said if she waited a bit longer she’d give her some sweets?! Why are parents such pushovers these days? I would’ve never dreamed of interrupting my mum as a child if she was talking to another adult, especially a professional like a doctor/nurse.

I managed to distract the screaming brat with some cat toys and then the woman asked if I had kids. I said no and she was like “why not? You’re great with them!” Firstly, intrusive much? Secondly, I’m fairly sure there’s more to parenting than waving ping pong balls at them? 🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
I’m a vet nurse and I had a lady visiting for an appointment with her cat this morning. She brought her little girl in with her (I’d say around five years old) who spent the entire consultation screaming she was bored when I was trying to talk. The mum made no effort to tell her to be quiet, she just said if she waited a bit longer she’d give her some sweets?! Why are parents such pushovers these days? I would’ve never dreamed of interrupting my mum as a child if she was talking to another adult, especially a professional like a doctor/nurse.

I managed to distract the screaming brat with some cat toys and then the woman asked if I had kids. I said no and she was like “why not? You’re great with them!” Firstly, intrusive much? Secondly, I’m fairly sure there’s more to parenting than waving ping pong balls at them? 🤣
this is what i don't understand. As a kid if we had to go to the doctors or I had to go somewhere with my mum, I would never have dreamed of complaining I was bored because I was aware that there was tit we had to do and I knew that I had no choice. It makes me wonder what these kids will be like when they grow up because they're going to have a shock when they get there and realise that the world doesn't revolve around them?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
this is what i don't understand. As a kid if we had to go to the doctors or I had to go somewhere with my mum, I would never have dreamed of complaining I was bored because I was aware that there was tit we had to do and I knew that I had no choice. It makes me wonder what these kids will be like when they grow up because they're going to have a shock when they get there and realise that the world doesn't revolve around them?
Exactly! I dread to think what it’s like being a teacher now when you have a room full of children who thinks it’s acceptable to scream over the top of adults! Nobody teaches manners anymore.

It’s unbelievable how many out of control kids I have to deal with at my work. Parents let them run around the waiting room gawping at all the animals like it’s a petting zoo. I was trying to get a blood sample from a nervous cat the other week while some kid outside in reception was stomping about and leaping on the weighing scales. The cat ended up getting so freaked out by the noise that it bit me. Needless to say, I went out to tell the parents to control their kids or leave because it’s a SURGERY.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
We have someone coming back to our team after a very long mat leave. She's sent an email saying she's looking forward to coming back and introducing us to her 'new little best mate' who is 'the best thing ever' and she 'could talk about him all day every day!'. With no less than TWELVE photos of the kid. 😳

We go into the office on a Wednesday. I've just checked tomorrow's seating plan and this lady is right next to me, I'm in a corner seat with no one else on the other side. I'm not even kidding. 😭

Re: the men parents. My friend is currently living with her ex (complicated break up) and they have a 'nanny cam' in the living room. When she's away for the weekend and it's his turn to have their four year old, whenever she looks at the camera their little boy is playing by himself or watching TV while the ex is on his phone. 🙄

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
We go into the office on a Wednesday. I've just checked tomorrow's seating plan and this lady is right next to me, I'm in a corner seat with no one else on the other side. I'm not even kidding. 😭

Re: the men parents. My friend is currently living with her ex (complicated break up) and they have a 'nanny cam' in the living room. When she's away for the weekend and it's his turn to have their four year old, whenever she looks at the camera their little boy is playing by himself or watching TV while the ex is on his phone. 🙄
Sending you some of my vibes, I’m frequently told that my face totally gives away what I think of people before I’ve even opened my mouth, I can’t be bothered with being fake nice if I’m not interested!! 😂 just blank her if she’s boring you!

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Offering a noisy and disruptive child sets annoys me, it's essentially rewarding the bad behaviour. I used to work in an after school club and there was a child who was possibly the most disruptive child I've ever met. Parents would pick her up, she'd be running round the room, no socks or shoes, bowling kids over, ignoring staff, trashing the place and mum would be like, if you come now you can have sweets and your tablet! Er, I think that's the last thing she needs right now! Because tomorrow she's going to be exactly the same only worse because she knows she's getting sweets regardless!

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I naively suggested a meet up with friends at a new Costa Coffee that had opened in our area for lunch.
I have never lived it down 😳
We couldn't have a conversation as we were drowned out by the mummies and their brats who seemed to have been in there for the duration.
Ever since then all my venue suggestions have been vetoed as I obviously can't be trusted choosing venues. 😟😥
Only one of our group has children and she wouldn't stand for the children's behaviour exhibited in the cafe.
I can feel PTSD kicking in just thinking about it. 😵😫

• Haha
Reactions: 10

Lmao. We have a dog that has a human name and sometimes when a woman has gone on and on about her kid, I start going on and on about our dog but using his name. Their eyes spark up and they ask what daycare or whatever H goes to and the disappointment when I tell them H is actually a dog is hilarious 😂😭

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Sending you some of my vibes, I’m frequently told that my face totally gives away what I think of people before I’ve even opened my mouth, I can’t be bothered with being fake nice if I’m not interested!! 😂 just blank her if she’s boring you!
Omg I'm the same. I struggle with being fake interested in my friend's kids, let alone colleagues I haven't even met. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Exactly! I dread to think what it’s like being a teacher now when you have a room full of children who thinks it’s acceptable to scream over the top of adults! Nobody teaches manners anymore.

It’s unbelievable how many out of control kids I have to deal with at my work. Parents let them run around the waiting room gawping at all the animals like it’s a petting zoo. I was trying to get a blood sample from a nervous cat the other week while some kid outside in reception was stomping about and leaping on the weighing scales. The cat ended up getting so freaked out by the noise that it bit me. Needless to say, I went out to tell the parents to control their kids or leave because it’s a SURGERY.

Too right well done! Bet their face was a picture lol

Does anyone have any favourite child free characters from TV or film?

I'm a big Downton Abbey Fan and whilst the focus is mostly on the romantic pairings of the daughters, I've always been drawn to Aunt Rosamund. She isn't given a big back story nor is it clear she was unable to have children, she is a wealthy widow.

Imo She has the most gorgeous house in the series and lifestyle, involved in local causes and a confident to her family. She even quotes once the danger of living alone is how hard it is to give up!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9

I'm a big Downton Abbey Fan and whilst the focus is mostly on the romantic pairings of the daughters, I've always been drawn to Aunt Rosamund. She isn't given a big back story nor is it clear she was unable to have children, she is a wealthy widow.

Imo She has the most gorgeous house in the series and lifestyle, involved in local causes and a confident to her family. She even quotes once the danger of living alone is how hard it is to give up!
it’s sad how many happily childfree women are depicted in tv/films. there’s always that old trope of “oh she thought she didn’t want children until she met the right person”.

i did stop watching some time ago so this sadly may have changed but i remember christina in gray’s anatomy really being strongly childfree and sticking to her guns on that. i hope that remained the case! and of course samantha in satc.

• Sick
Reactions: 13
Yeah I had to stop following the Louise Thompson threads because everyone was piling onto her for “regretting her kid” and going on with their wanky stories about how they love their kid so much and could never imagine regretting them. Severe lack of empathy that you can’t imagine that anyone could feel differently to you! I feel sorry for people who regret their kids or really struggle with them - you can’t exactly throw them in the bin, you have to just get on with it even if you hate it.
Several women in my family just walked out and left their kids behind unbothered. 😐

Eileen in Seinfeld all day every day 🫡

She has a strong personality, is never afraid to call it like it is and never changed her mind about children. Actually, I don't remember her mentioning wanting them once.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Eileen in Seinfeld all day every day 🫡

She has a strong personality, is never afraid to call it like it is and never changed her mind about children. Actually, I don't remember her mentioning wanting them once.
Do you mean Elaine?

Kind of ironic seen as Julia Louis-Dreyfus was pregnant throughout some of the seasons. They were going to do a 'Elaine gets fat' storyline but decided to drop it lol.

Reactions: 1
Do you mean Elaine?

Kind of ironic seen as Julia Louis-Dreyfus was pregnant throughout some of the seasons. They were going to do a 'Elaine gets fat' storyline but decided to drop it lol.
I had no idea that the actress was pregnant 😃 they hid it very well

it’s sad how many happily childfree women are depicted in tv/films. there’s always that old trope of “oh she thought she didn’t want children until she met the right person”.

i did stop watching some time ago so this sadly may have changed but i remember christina in gray’s anatomy really being strongly childfree and sticking to her guns on that. i hope that remained the case! and of course samantha in satc.
Penny in Big Bang Theory too and Bernadette to a lesser extent as well.

Reactions: 3
Penny in Big Bang Theory too and Bernadette to a lesser extent as well.
they made penny pregnant in the final season (or maybe even the final episode), which i always thought was a huge betrayal of her character - considering she’d been openly childfree and leonard accepted it!

there’s a great article about that whole trope here. making happily childfree women pregnant in the final series of shows makes me so mad:

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.