Childfree by choice #6 Sleeping well at night, petition for childfree flights

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to have a guy friend who was quite left leaning but just couldn’t get past me not wanting children. He’d always say things like “it’s just such a waste. It was what you were put on this earth to do” alright mate, and if by your logic that’s true, then men are supposed to go out and provide and work hard. And yet he worked three days part time and played PlayStation the other two days and was a lazy hole. I only pity the woman he ends up with, if one at all. Her running after all the kids and him sitting on his butt all day and not standing up and being a man, but yet we women have to “be proper women”. No bother.

• Wow
Reactions: 24
I went to Ikea today.

I'm sure this sentence is self explanatory but 😂 Good grief, the amount of exhausted, irritated, miserable parents with tired toddlers throwing tantrums or kids hopped up on sugar at the restaurant, running and screaming. It was terrible enough for me, I can't imagine having to go home with the kids and calm them down or put them in the bath and get them ready for school tomorrow... I am so thankful I could wander around at my own pace without having to keep children busy or keep them from smashing stuff. I was able to shop for what I need, eat in peace and get back home to chill and read my book. It was smart to go early-ish and leave before the family crowds began. Utter chaos.

I genuinely wish IKEA had child free hours. Even like twice a month 🤣 if the store was adults only for an afternoon even, I would be more inclined to go! The prospect of a weekend + bored kids is too much.

• Heart
I live round the corner from an ikea so I can go in the week late at night just before closing. Which is great because there’s usually no kids!

I wish restaurants did adults only times. When I was a kid (90’s/00’s) I was never taken to restaurants. That was something adults did 🤣. I went to wacky warehouse on occasion, but that was it.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I genuinely wish IKEA had child free hours. Even like twice a month 🤣 if the store was adults only for an afternoon even, I would be more inclined to go! The prospect of a weekend + bored kids is too much.
i love ikea but i can’t bear how parents seem to treat it as a kind of soft play for their kids - i can really only go in the weekends and there’s always kids rolling around on the beds, pulling all the cushions off shelves, playing in the kitchens etc. it isn’t a theme park, let me buy loads of things i don’t need in peace!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I live round the corner from an ikea so I can go in the week late at night just before closing. Which is great because there’s usually no kids!

I wish restaurants did adults only times. When I was a kid (90’s/00’s) I was never taken to restaurants. That was something adults did 🤣. I went to wacky warehouse on occasion, but that was it.
When I was young and was taken to tearooms/restaurants it was normal to be discreet/quiet. You would have loved it and no we weren't rich! 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 9
When I was young and was taken to tearooms/restaurants it was normal to be discreet/quiet. You would have loved it and no we weren't rich! 😄
We were piss poor that’s part of the reason we never went 🤣 totally different world now though with kids coming first everywhere 😂 even cruises have started catering for kids which I disagree with 🤣

Reactions: 6
I got taken to restaurants as a kid but I just sat there quietly and ate my food! I definitely wouldn’t be allowed to scream or run around. I love Nando’s but there’s always some nightmare kid - last time it was one playing Sonic on full blast on his iPad! Parents didn’t give a tit obviously.

Reactions: 10
I got taken to restaurants as a kid but I just sat there quietly and ate my food! I definitely wouldn’t be allowed to scream or run around. I love Nando’s but there’s always some nightmare kid - last time it was one playing Sonic on full blast on his iPad! Parents didn’t give a tit obviously.
Same, also on the rare occasion we ate out when I was a kind (usually a pub lunch) I remember my parents actually talking to me/including me in the conversation etc…although granted iPads didn’t exist when I was a kid. 😂 But it seems now that parents just want to shove an iPad in front of their kids rather than actually talk to them.

Reactions: 9
Me and my sister read our books or we did colouring/drawing quietly when we went out for meals; we would never have misbehaved in public like some kids do now! I hate how iPad kids have become a thing it’s only going to lead to problems later on!

Reactions: 15
There was a thread on mumsnet asking if it was acceptable to take a 7/8 year old to a Michelin star restaurant for a tasting menu and let him use his Switch between courses 🤣 none of them had a problem with this as long as the switch was on silent😳 I'd be fuming if I were paying that kind of money and there be a kid there, never mind on a switch!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
I'm all for kids being encouraged to eat something other than mash and nuggets but a tasting menu at a Michelin star restaurant? 😂 I don't think I'd mind too much if the kid was quiet and VERY well behaved but needing the Switch between courses tells me that evening will be ruined for surrounding tables. What a waste.

Reactions: 11
Kinda forgotten about this thread. Had such a lovely day today.

Dog woke me up around 8am. Had a coffee and watched some Grey's Anatomy, got husband up and went out for breakfast. Walked the dog for about an hour, came home warm shower, cleaned the bathrooms, sorted and tidied some washing, prepped some veggies for next week's teas. Watched another 3(!) episodes of Greys while doing a bit of admin for work. Now cooking tea with a cider.

My friend text me, she's spent 3 hours at soft play this afternoon 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Kinda forgotten about this thread. Had such a lovely day today.

Dog woke me up around 8am. Had a coffee and watched some Grey's Anatomy, got husband up and went out for breakfast. Walked the dog for about an hour, came home warm shower, cleaned the bathrooms, sorted and tidied some washing, prepped some veggies for next week's teas. Watched another 3(!) episodes of Greys while doing a bit of admin for work. Now cooking tea with a cider.

My friend text me, she's spent 3 hours at soft play this afternoon 😂
That sounds lush. I went for a beach walk yesterday with family & their dog, had a pub lunch (just a coke to drink) and back to theirs after to chill whilst grabbing some supermarket supplies aswell on the way back. Today I did my house chores ready for the week ahead and I've really enjoyed it too. I did think once that had I had a baby I wouldn't have the freedom to do what I did spur of the moment yesterday.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Completely agree on restaurants. I was a child in the 80s and if we were taken to a restaurant we were always on our best behaviour, having being warned in advance!
I hate going out and spending my hard earned money on a meal and not being able to enjoy it because there's a screaming, noisy rugrat at the next table whose parents completely refuse to tell them to be quiet and to behave themselves, and don't even get me started on kids using devices in a restaurant with the sound up as high as it can go and no headphones :mad:

• Heart
Reactions: 16
i love ikea but i can’t bear how parents seem to treat it as a kind of soft play for their kids - i can really only go in the weekends and there’s always kids rolling around on the beds, pulling all the cushions off shelves, playing in the kitchens etc. it isn’t a theme park, let me buy loads of things i don’t need in peace!
PREACH IT. I want to be the one rolling on the beds and playing in the kitchens! At least I earn my right to do that by actually buying stuff and not tripping up everyone around me!! 🤣

Ughh the restaurant thing. I remember as a kid, I was just grateful to be there and eating food that was different to what we had at home. Wouldn't dream of being rotten in public. I can't get over how much stuff my friends' kids beg for at the shops (and they actually end up getting it bought for them). I don't know how certain parents ever manage to save up any money with the amount of junk that they buy.

Reactions: 11
I was lucky enough to eat out a lot as a child (born to older parents who were not changing their lifestyle for kids!) Although mainly lunch time so as not to impact adults enjoying an evening meal. I also think that kn the 90s kids just weren't accepted in restaurants of an evening??

We would always sit quietly and maybe colour or draw. If we were the only people in our local Indian on a Saturday lunch then we would be allowed to play by the water feature (proper 90s) but if anyone else walked in it was straight to our table.

I distinctly remember being in a Chinese restaurant when the kids from another family were running riot and unwrapping all of the chopsticks. I asked my mum why they were being so naughty 😬 (eldest child who always does as she's told!)

I could be silenced by a look from one of my parents. Parents these days don't give a tit.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.