Childfree by choice #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was on a train in first class a week or so ago and someone was just letting their child play Disney movies at full volume. Another passenger encouraged them and got talking about what movies their own child liked, it seems everyone thought it was acceptable to do this (in first class, where people have often paid extra so they can work or nap etc. which is what I had done) because children can't be expected to amuse themselves for five minutes
I hate this concept that we must be nice and encourage children and that everyone must love them. I find it embarrassing enough when my cat goes into my neighbours garden let alone if I had a kid disturbing a train carriage.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Some parents do baffle me though. I was in Home Bargains the other day and there were 2 little girls around 7 and 4 maybe. Both had the nastiest coughs. You know the coughs that are really chesty, sounds like a bark and when you cough you like bend over. Both of them had that which you know not their fault cause kids pick up everything but all I could think was 'why are you dragging your kids around home bargains in the freezing cold with coughs like that?!' I appreciate that it's could be lingering or whatever but it's freezing, windy and they're coughing all over the shop. Keep them at home for everyone's sake.

Reactions: 14
I hate this concept that we must be nice and encourage children and that everyone must love them. I find it embarrassing enough when my cat goes into my neighbours garden let alone if I had a kid disturbing a train carriage.
It annoys me when this is treated like some kind of feminist issue: "it's not about the children, you just think that women shouldn't be seen in public and you're using children as an excuse to force us to stay at home." No, it is about the children. Not all women have or want children, and it's just as annoying when their father is letting them run wild in public

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It annoys me when this is treated like some kind of feminist issue: "it's not about the children, you just think that women shouldn't be seen in public and you're using children as an excuse to force us to stay at home." No, it is about the children. Not all women have or want children, and it's just as annoying when their father is letting them run wild in public
yeah or when people turn into some child hating thing. No I don't hate kids. No I don't expect kids to stay at home until they turn 18. No I don't think kids should be seen and not heard but I also would like people to respect that their kid isn't the most important thing in the room and show/teach them how to behave. I don't want to hear peppa pig screeching from an Ipad and I don't want to see your kid running around causing havoc, bring some head phones and tell your kid to sit the duck down.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I’ve never understood why women let complete dickheads move in with them and get them pregnant. Then they are all surprised when they prove to be ineffective fathers.

Is it just the great sex or physical appearance that makes them look past obvious character flaws?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’ve never understood why women let complete dickheads move in with them and get them pregnant. Then they are all surprised when they prove to be ineffective fathers.

Is it just the great sex or physical appearance that makes them look past obvious character flaws?
I think it's cause women are kind of told in society that we are not complete without a man/relationship. Many women settle for something so they can say they have something.
Also we do tend to repeat patterns from when we were kids. If you had an emotionally unavailable father you may end up with an emotionally unavailable husband. It's very common.

• Heart
One thing I thought about and women who stay with these useless men. People had the phrase happily married and if the connotation of being married is unhappy and perhaps this is what they mean. These women are not happily married just married

Reactions: 7
I’ve just seen a girl I was at school with put on Insta that she’s tired after her fiancé made her put up all the Christmas decorations at 8 months pregnant with covid. Baby’s not even here yet and it’s started.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
yeah or when people turn into some child hating thing. No I don't hate kids. No I don't expect kids to stay at home until they turn 18. No I don't think kids should be seen and not heard but I also would like people to respect that their kid isn't the most important thing in the room and show/teach them how to behave. I don't want to hear peppa pig screeching from an Ipad and I don't want to see your kid running around causing havoc, bring some head phones and tell your kid to sit the duck down.
I realised it isn't so much the children I dislike but their useless parents. It isn't the child's fault their parent is a thoughtless dick head

Reactions: 18
I realised it isn't so much the children I dislike but their useless parents. It isn't the child's fault their parent is a thoughtless dick head
I don't dislike kids but I find that the ones that irritate and annoy me with their behaviour are doing as a result of poor parenting. Well behaved, well mannered kids are lovely (in small doses)

Reactions: 22
I don't dislike kids but I find that the ones that irritate and annoy me with their behaviour are doing as a result of poor parenting. Well behaved, well mannered kids are lovely (in small doses)
This
I've recently been in Paris and we went for dinner in an Italian restaurant in a busy neighbourhood. Came two families consecutively, and one sat right next to us, but the kids were so well behaved we barely heard them! I was genuinely surprised as I'm used to utter chaos back in UK 😅

Reactions: 10

This article only reiterates why I think motherhood is a mugs game.

This bloke switches off his phone and jumps on a plane without telling his gf, leaving his two kids and risking the sack. She had to be told by his father he would he back in two days.

So many comments of 'good lad' 'you only live once' saying the gf is a miserable cow for getting upset.

If a woman did this she would be slammed as an unfit parent. It's just a prime example of how for many (not all) men that their lives bear no dissemblance to before they had responsibilites. She is probably somewhat dependent on him financially too so in all likeihood forced to suck it up and let him get away with it. I'd be mortified.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Someone said upthread words to the effect of everything becomes centered around children, and it' so right! I can't go to a historic place / on a day trip somewhere etc without it being infested with children running around, screaming, and me having to make space for Little Johnny when I want to look at something in the museum, etc. Of course I'm not saying they should be banned from anywhere, but I am saying that they shouldn't take priority over me. Especially when I've paid full price to see some of these things!!

I've never wanted children. I got the usual, you'll change your mind nonsense, but I haven't. I've never once looked at baby / child and thought, I want one of those. In fact, when I hear that someone is expecting I'm always a bit like...😬 ... !! I look at animals, and I go completely gooey over them (well, for the most part), but children have the opposite effect on me.

I also don't think I'd be a good mum, I like my alone and quiet time too much. I like things to be in their right place. There's too much intergenerational trauma in my family to pass that on, not to mention the risk of other genetic hand me downs.

The huge contrast between opinions towards a working mother and working father also annoys me. Men get a medal for changing a nappy and doing a school run.

• Heart
In fact, when I hear that someone is expecting I'm always a bit like...😬 ... !! I look at animals, and I go completely gooey over them (well, for the most part), but children have the opposite effect on me.
Same! When someone announces they are pregnant, my instant reaction is sympathy 😆 obviously I'm happy for the person if they're happy, but I do genuinely wonder what the appeal is! 100% agree about animals.

Reactions: 13
Someone said upthread words to the effect of everything becomes centered around children, and it' so right! I can't go to a historic place / on a day trip somewhere etc without it being infested with children running around, screaming, and me having to make space for Little Johnny when I want to look at something in the museum, etc. Of course I'm not saying they should be banned from anywhere, but I am saying that they shouldn't take priority over me. Especially when I've paid full price to see some of these things!!

I've never wanted children. I got the usual, you'll change your mind nonsense, but I haven't. I've never once looked at baby / child and thought, I want one of those. In fact, when I hear that someone is expecting I'm always a bit like...😬 ... !! I look at animals, and I go completely gooey over them (well, for the most part), but children have the opposite effect on me.

I also don't think I'd be a good mum, I like my alone and quiet time too much. I like things to be in their right place. There's too much intergenerational trauma in my family to pass that on, not to mention the risk of other genetic hand me downs.

The huge contrast between opinions towards a working mother and working father also annoys me. Men get a medal for changing a nappy and doing a school run.
100%. I would rather meet someone's new puppy than their baby.

My mum always says a mans life doesn't change when he has kids, he continues to work and to go out. A womans world changes and not necessarily for the better.

Reactions: 18
This
I've recently been in Paris and we went for dinner in an Italian restaurant in a busy neighbourhood. Came two families consecutively, and one sat right next to us, but the kids were so well behaved we barely heard them! I was genuinely surprised as I'm used to utter chaos back in UK 😅
We're on holiday at the moment and this hotel isn't adults only, but coming at this time of year minimises the number of kids and it's usually French or Belgian kids who are generally better behaved. So far we've had one small French child, one small Indian child and one small Middle Eastern child, all of whom have been barely noticeable. Today a small English child arrived with a mother who believes in performative parenting.

"Come along, Amelia, we have to go and meet the lady now."
"I DON'T WANNA GO AND MEET THE LADY."
"Amelia, darling, if you don’t get out of the pool now we'll be late for the lady and we'll be in trouble."
Amelia paddles her inflatable unicorn through the middle of the aqua gym session, causing havoc, and has to be bodily lifted out of the pool by her father, screaming loudly all the way.

Thankfully they haven't reappeared.

• Haha
Reactions: 11

This article only reiterates why I think motherhood is a mugs game.

This bloke switches off his phone and jumps on a plane without telling his gf, leaving his two kids and risking the sack. She had to be told by his father he would he back in two days.

So many comments of 'good lad' 'you only live once' saying the gf is a miserable cow for getting upset.

If a woman did this she would be slammed as an unfit parent. It's just a prime example of how for many (not all) men that their lives bear no dissemblance to before they had responsibilites. She is probably somewhat dependent on him financially too so in all likeihood forced to suck it up and let him get away with it. I'd be mortified.
I'd like to reiterate the earlier posts regarding men not loving or respecting their partners and kids. There is no respect here.

Reactions: 14
My dad definitely never loved me, he didn’t even want me.
He never paid my mum a penny in child support (they never lived together & split before I was 5) and he never contributed to anything I needed.

he didn’t come to school plays, parents evenings and didn’t even bother to buy me a decent Christmas or birthday present. Never took me on a day out or a holiday or did anything nice with me.

in fact he could be downright cruel, taunting me, smacked me a few times for no good reason etc and then he got a girlfriend when I was 11 and it spiralled worse from there. He wouldn’t ever contact me first, he used to take her kids to school, go to parents evenings etc and he bought her daughter a laptop for Christmas while I got a £1 stationary set.

his gf once asked him if he loved me or his dog more and he said “I love the dog”.

honestly I’d never want to risk any child of mine having a useless father so I’ll save myself the hassle and just not have any!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.