Childfree by choice #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
nah duck her she's being unreasonable sorry.
1. She never messaged you. Not when you text her on tuesday and not when you messaged to say you were ill. AND you helped out with grandad, no message to ask how he was I don't suspect?
2. Sorry to say this but if she can't cope without your parents for one week then she shouldn't have had the kids in the first place. All of this is a problem of her own making. ETA: and the fathers obviously but wasn't sure if that was implied
Yeah I think I got the brunt of her annoyance at having no parental help. Her MIL doesn't help out and she wouldn't ask her anyway.
I find this absolutely bizarre! I agree with above, if you can't manage having kids without your parents' help why on earth would you have them? Parents aren't going to be around forever and god forbid something happened to them anyway?
Well that's the thing, my mum is my dad's full time carer so he isn't able to do much and my mum stretches herself in all directions to help out with the kids, and look after him and my grandparents. She's very lucky that mum is able to help as much as she does.

Reactions: 4
I am curious what bc you all use to prevent pregnancies? I've been on Depo for over a decade... Controversial I know! But it also is the only medication that minimizes my endo symptoms. My gynecologist and Dr are not worried about me being on it long term as they've said the "worrying" studies about bone density are very outdated. I've never had any issues on it. I'm actually so glad to never have a period 😂. I did come off it for a couple of months and my period came back straight away and it was bleeping horrible. I got so used to not having one, I would hate to have it every month. Lmao.

Reactions: 3
I felt horrendous on depo. I got my tubes tied in my late 20s, which I probably wouldn't be allowed to do on the NHS now (and it was a two-year battle then), but 20 years on it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The pill (progestogen-only pill) with the added bonus of less painful & heavy periods.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I'm on the pill (desogestral). I haven't had a proper period in years, it's brilliant! Downside is I forget to take it occasionally but as my partner lives 100 miles away, it's not too much of an issue 🤣 keep meaning to ask about alternatives so that I don't have to remember, but I don't want to risk having periods again and I know I might on something else.

Reading a very interesting thread where OP is saying basically she doesn’t want to move to care for her elderly mother. Neither do her other 2 children. Everyone is saying don’t do it/they wouldn’t do it/leave her to it/put her in a home.

So having three children isn’t enough to guarantee my care when I’m old and a thread running for hundreds of posts has basically no one who cares for their parents, knows anyone who cares for their parents or thinks anyone should care for their parents. But my not having children is a bewilderment to many because of not having care when I’m elderly… 🤷‍♀️

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
I’ve only ever used condoms for 11 years now. Never had an accident or breakage or anything. Didn’t really fancy hormonal contraception as nearly all my friends had some sort of side effect from it. I don’t really enjoy sex though so now I only have it like once every 2 months!

Reactions: 3
I am curious what bc you all use to prevent pregnancies? I've been on Depo for over a decade... Controversial I know! But it also is the only medication that minimizes my endo symptoms. My gynecologist and Dr are not worried about me being on it long term as they've said the "worrying" studies about bone density are very outdated. I've never had any issues on it. I'm actually so glad to never have a period 😂. I did come off it for a couple of months and my period came back straight away and it was bleeping horrible. I got so used to not having one, I would hate to have it every month. Lmao.
Same. Been on it for almost 20 years and never had any issues. I've also spoken to numerous medical professionals about the long term 'side effects' and been told the same as you. It gets a lot of hate though so I guess it's not compatible with a lot of people!

I did the same as you and came off it for a while because I'd read all this stuff about how important it is to 'be in tune with your body' and track your periods. It had been so long I'd forgotten just how vile my periods made me feel, they are so painful I actually vomit with the pain. So yeah, no thanks. 😂

Put behind a spoiler as I have children but I love this thread.

This is something thats really taboo to say so just unloading as cant say it in real life but dont feel like id be judged here.

I love my child but i hate being a parent.

No theres no love like it but i dont think thats a bad thing, its love that comes with a price. I love my friends and my husband because theyre amazing people and we choose to spend time together. I do love my child but honestly I feel guilty that I don't love them enough, that I'm going to screw them up as I don't show love enough (they are cherished, looked after properly etc so not neglected but competitive parenting makes you feel not good enough), I have to love them basically and that's constantly exhausting.

I have money but no time or inclination to spend it on myself. If I go shopping with friends or for a night out they're always on my mind and usually have my husband asking inane and obvious questions; can never switch off to enjoy things anymore. Same with holidays.

Work is a bleeping nightmare, trying to work around childcare and sickness, school holidays- a career I loved is now tit but I don't want to work in a job that fits round it better because I've worked hard for my job.

I have zero interest in other children and it's exhausting people always going on about them and asking about mine. Like do you really want to know or is it just as you no longer have anything interesting left to say?

If you dare say you regret it or dont enjoy it you get told its PND or that youre terrible.

Putting on a show of being happy and enjoying the mundane so said child doesnt notice and have lifelong issues because of it is tiring. I want to relax after work and at weekends but never bleeping possible, and this is with a husband who pulls their weight and a good support network.

My friend is pregnant and unsure how she feels, as she's my best friend I've been brutally honest but others rambling on about how amazing it is just make me raise a brow. Sure some genuinely like it, many though struggle on.

Anyway, as you were, they werent planned and i was stupid and didnt follow my heart.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
Put behind a spoiler as I have children but I love this thread.

This is something thats really taboo to say so just unloading as cant say it in real life but dont feel like id be judged here.

I love my child but i hate being a parent.

No theres no love like it but i dont think thats a bad thing, its love that comes with a price. I love my friends and my husband because theyre amazing people and we choose to spend time together. I do love my child but honestly I feel guilty that I don't love them enough, that I'm going to screw them up as I don't show love enough (they are cherished, looked after properly etc so not neglected but competitive parenting makes you feel not good enough), I have to love them basically and that's constantly exhausting.

I have money but no time or inclination to spend it on myself. If I go shopping with friends or for a night out they're always on my mind and usually have my husband asking inane and obvious questions; can never switch off to enjoy things anymore. Same with holidays.

Work is a bleeping nightmare, trying to work around childcare and sickness, school holidays- a career I loved is now tit but I don't want to work in a job that fits round it better because I've worked hard for my job.

I have zero interest in other children and it's exhausting people always going on about them and asking about mine. Like do you really want to know or is it just as you no longer have anything interesting left to say?

If you dare say you regret it or dont enjoy it you get told its PND or that youre terrible.

Putting on a show of being happy and enjoying the mundane so said child doesnt notice and have lifelong issues because of it is tiring. I want to relax after work and at weekends but never bleeping possible, and this is with a husband who pulls their weight and a good support network.

My friend is pregnant and unsure how she feels, as she's my best friend I've been brutally honest but others rambling on about how amazing it is just make me raise a brow. Sure some genuinely like it, many though struggle on.

Anyway, as you were, they werent planned and i was stupid and didnt follow my heart.
Despite my mum & others going on about how it’s a waste / selfish if you don’t have children, I always say i’d rather possibly regret not having them instead of regretting having them. And I know that I would regret it...Its just not for me. That seems difficult for people to understand and they think you’ll change your mind but as I get older I’m more steadfast in my decision.

Reactions: 13
On my 2nd copper coil. They are literally the gold standard of long acting reversible contraceptions. Lasts 5-10 years depending which one you get put in. 98% effective. No hormones. Very few side effects. I think everyone should get one put in at 16 😂

Reactions: 9
Implant in my arm. I'm on my third and love it. I get periods occasionally, but nowhere near as bad as they were - I don't pass out from low iron anymore!

On my 2nd copper coil. They are literally the gold standard of long acting reversible contraceptions. Lasts 5-10 years depending which one you get put in. 98% effective. No hormones. Very few side effects. I think everyone should get one put in at 16 😂
Was it sore to be fitted?

Was it sore to be fitted?
Not going to lie it really was. But an hour and some paracetamol later it was fine. Just felt like light cramps for the rest of the day. Never had any bother with it. Only downside is that some people get slightly heavier periods on it, I haven’t experienced that though.

Not going to lie it really was. But an hour and some paracetamol later it was fine. Just felt like light cramps for the rest of the day. Never had any bother with it. Only downside is that some people get slightly heavier periods on it, I haven’t experienced that though.
You’re braver than me! I’ve thought about it before but I just don’t think I could do it🙈 I’d need Valium or something

Been on the patch for almost 7 years, made me have super light periods, not really any side effects that I remember, occasionally ill have a month or 2 off and we'll just use condoms

You’re braver than me! I’ve thought about it before but I just don’t think I could do it🙈 I’d need Valium or something
You can get a local anaesthetic injection/gel or you can even get it under a general anaesthetic if needed. Next time I’ll def ask for a local 😂 it’s totally worth the momentary discomfort for 10 years of no worries. Big selling point with me is that’s it’s got no hormones. I found I put on weight and had crazy mood swings on the pill.

Reactions: 1
Just chant in your head ‘it’s not as painful as childbirth, it’s not as painful as childbirth…’ and you’ll remember why it’s worth it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
You can get a local anaesthetic injection/gel or you can even get it under a general anaesthetic if needed. Next time I’ll def ask for a local 😂 it’s totally worth the momentary discomfort for 10 years of no worries. Big selling point with me is that’s it’s got no hormones. I found I put on weight and had crazy mood swings on the pill.
Yeah it’s the no hormones that’s the appealing thing. I was on the pill for about 18yrs and then decided just to see how it was without it. Have been off it a year and lost a bit of weight & I think my moods are actually better. My husband & I just use condoms at present but I guess at the back of my mind you’re worried something could go wrong with them. I’m bad with smears so I just don’t know if I could bite the bullet and get the coil.. I tried to watch a video recently on Instagram of some blogger getting one fitted and even the grimacing she was doing was making me feel weak!😰

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.