Childfree by Choice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see this all the time on here that Brits love going to Florida. Can someone explain this to me the American? Also congrats!! šŸ’•

Growing up I was much poorer than my friends and I didnā€™t count anyone elseā€™s money as my business. It turned out my parents were spending cash on things aside from me šŸ˜‚ So yeah, no fond childhood memories over here that Iā€™m looking to recreate for somebody else!!
Canā€™t really explain it to be fair and I wouldnā€™t see the point. We just like Orlando because we do, simple as really!

Same as how some people donā€™t understand why we are spending 10k on a wedding and are making us feel inferior for spending it. We are spending it because we want to, itā€™s all personal choices I guess. To us it isnā€™t a ā€œwasteā€, but obviously to others it is!

People just like different things and the internet is a horrible place sometimes because people donā€™t seem able to accept that.

Reactions: 5
Canā€™t really explain it to be fair and I wouldnā€™t see the point. We just like Orlando because we do, simple as really! Same as how some people donā€™t understand why we are spending 10k on a wedding and are making us feel inferior for spending it. We are spending it because we want to, itā€™s all personal choices I guess.
Oh I didnā€™t mean you in particular! Sorry if it was taken that way. I was wondering what Brits get up to in Florida.
Thanks @mcfeez !!

Reactions: 1
Oh I didnā€™t mean you in particular! Sorry if it was taken that way. I was wondering what Brits get up to in Florida.
Thanks @mcfeez !!
All sorts. Thereā€™s the theme parks obviously, but thereā€™s also the Florida keys, beaches, National parks etc. You can easily spend two weeks there and not go to a park, but itā€™s all personal choice.

Thanks @mcfeez !!
I went to Miami and Everglades National Park once when I wanted some sun in late March, and that was nice, but only needed 4 days really. Not sure I'd hurry back. The alligators everywhere properly put the shits up me. I mean they are EVERYWHERE, like squirrels here but deadly.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I went to Miami and Everglades National Park once when I wanted some sun in late March, and that was nice, but only needed 4 days really. Not sure I'd hurry back. The alligators everywhere properly put the shits up me. I mean they are EVERYWHERE, like squirrels here but deadly.
This is exactly how I picture Florida šŸ˜‚ I thought maybe thereā€™s an area that you all flock to that doesnā€™t have alligators & as well as all the elderly who go down to escape our bitter winters.

Last edited:
What a weird question! šŸ˜‚
Lol itā€™s just weird to me that Brits have so many lovely places to visit ā€” Spain, Greece, Turkey, etc. but choose to go to Florida which is not so popular with Americans. We go to Mexico, Puerto Rico, Hawaii.

Lol itā€™s just weird to me that Brits have so many lovely places to visit ā€” Spain, Greece, Turkey, etc. but choose to go to Florida which is not so popular with Americans. We go to Mexico, Puerto Rico, Hawaii.
We go to those too. I'm in Greece at the moment, went to Spain last month and I'm going to Mexico early next year. I've had holidays in Miami too. They are not mutually exclusive. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

And itā€™s weird to me that adults canā€™t grasp why other adults may like to do different things to other adultsā€¦ itā€™s all personal preference. I donā€™t want to go Turkey! And Iā€™m currently in Spain so šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø!

Itā€™s like asking why people like a certain butter, because they just do! I wouldnā€™t question other peopleā€™s holiday choices so I donā€™t appreciate people questioning mine!

Itā€™s not like British people just go to Florida or those that do just go to Florida, people can holiday in different places at different timesā€¦

Americans make up most of the visitor numbers to Florida, so Iā€™m pretty sure Americanā€™s do go there!šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 9
And itā€™s weird to me that adults canā€™t grasp why other adults may like to do different things to other adultsā€¦ itā€™s all personal preference. I donā€™t want to go Turkey! And Iā€™m currently in Spain so šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø!

Itā€™s like asking why people like a certain butter, because they just do! I wouldnā€™t question other peopleā€™s holiday choices so I donā€™t appreciate people questioning mine!

Itā€™s not like British people just go to Florida or those that do just go to Florida, people can holiday in different places at different timesā€¦
Not British people, 'Brits'. šŸ˜‚

We go to those too. I'm in Greece at the moment, went to Spain last month and I'm going to Mexico early next year. I've had holidays in Miami too. They are not mutually exclusive. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
I suppose people complain about Americans behavior abroad so itā€™s baffling that theyā€™d go to Florida for sun. I donā€™t have any negative judgment about people going there. If anything and not that this is the salient point itā€™s probably more affordable.

Anyway, thanks to the people that helped clear things up for me!

Reactions: 2
Canā€™t really explain it to be fair and I wouldnā€™t see the point. We just like Orlando because we do, simple as really!

Same as how some people donā€™t understand why we are spending 10k on a wedding and are making us feel inferior for spending it. We are spending it because we want to, itā€™s all personal choices I guess. To us it isnā€™t a ā€œwasteā€, but obviously to others it is!

People just like different things and the internet is a horrible place sometimes because people donā€™t seem able to accept that.
That is very true I've made that comment here about people spending big on a wedding and you are right it was quite flippant. I take that back, at the end of the day nothing matters apart from happiness and that is what ever happiness means to you
I hate people judging me but can just judge straight back, something I know I need to work on. We are all so different it would be a boring world if not.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
As a Brit living in the US, yeah, I don't get the fascination with FL either unless you are Disney mad. There is so much better on the east coast to offer. I'll get me coat before you all come after me. :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
That is very true I've made that comment here about people spending big on a wedding and you are right it was quite flippant. I take that back, at the end of the day nothing matters apart from happiness and that is what ever happiness means to you
I hate people judging me but can just judge straight back, something I know I need to work on. We are all so different it would be a boring world if not.
Itā€™s so good that you can recognise that though and thatā€™s the main thing. None of us are perfect really. Iā€™m terrible for mentally judging people and then I tell myself off for thinking certain things. We all have things we need to work on, itā€™s just good that we can recognise that!

I am getting a lot of negative comments in work over the wedding at the moment, just things like ā€œoh that was one mistake I never made getting marriedā€ and ā€œoh been there done that, big mistakeā€ and ā€œit all ends in divorce anywayā€ā€¦ so I think Iā€™m just downtrodden about it all now and Iā€™m exhausted with the negativity, it is mainly coming from the work place though!

If itā€™s not being child free that people get judged for itā€™s weddings, holiday choices, and god knows what else šŸ™„ just never ending at the minute! Thereā€™s a lot of places I wouldnā€™t dream of going on holiday, or spending money on or doing, but I can recognise that other people might want to and the world would be odd if we all wanted the same things!šŸ™„šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 7
*sliding in ever so softly, I have just found this thread*

39yr old from Australia - hi everyone :m will do my best to catch up on the last few pages tonight.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The question wasnā€™t aimed directly at you though it was open ended for anyone and everyone on this forum to answer. And from my tone it was clearly not meant to be rude so I donā€™t understand the reaction ??

Fancy people liking different things eh?
I know, how strange! šŸ¤£ maybe everyone should holiday exclusively in turkey & the east coast of the US and never visit anywhere else and over crowd those places! Because of course people canā€™t like something different to someone else!šŸ¤£

The question wasnā€™t aimed directly at you though it was open ended for anyone and everyone on this forum to answer. And from my tone it was clearly not meant to be rude so I donā€™t understand the reaction ??
You tagged my post and your comment was triggered by my post! I just donā€™t get how people can think everyone is obsessed with Florida just because they want to visit there once or twice šŸ™„ and even if they are obsessed, so bloody what, what are people meant to do? Crowd the same pool in turkey with everyone from the uk? Iā€™ve been to lots of European destinations, Iā€™ve also been to lots of places in the US. Just because Iā€™m going to Florida for my honeymoon doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m obsessed with the bloody placeā€¦ and maybe ive reacted a little badly because Iā€™m sick of everyone judging my bloody choices!

Florida is an easy laid back holiday for us. I didnā€™t have a real childhood and I guess in Florida I just feel totally relaxed and like I can just enjoy myself. No worries, no stress, itā€™s like another world for me. I guess thatā€™s why I get annoyed when people make comments, itā€™s as though Iā€™m not allowed to like something because other people donā€™t!

If you canā€™t grasp why asking someone why they like a certain place isnā€™t odd then I canā€™t help you.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I never said you were obsessed, I said Iā€™ve seen it a lot on this forum. Anyway, you seem determined to take offense so Iā€™m going to duck out. Sorry to everybody for derailing the thread to begin with.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.