Childfree by Choice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m babysitting my niece overnight next weekend. Shes 11 so pretty self sufficient but I’m conscious that the weekend before Christmas the last thing she wants to do is sit at my house while I doze on the sofa and watch tiktoks!
I better start preparing myself for a weekend of activity!!! I’m knackered already!

Reactions: 6
I used to get so stressed out over the Christmas period because me and my husband being child free are expected to be the ones travelling to see various family because they all have kids, we used to go back to work in January shattered and we had no time for ourselves! The last couple of years we have now decided Christmas is our time and we will spend it at home because our time off work has been earned and I'm not spending it travelling, hanging out with kids and generally being miserable! So we day to family they are welcome to come to ours if they want but they never do because of the kids so we are winning now and get to spend the festive season eating, drinking and doing what the hell we want :D

• Heart
Reactions: 33
The last couple of years we have now decided Christmas is our time and we will spend it at home because our time off work has been earned and I'm not spending it travelling, hanging out with kids and generally being miserable!
It's the BEST. I warn you though, it's hard to go back 😅. We've agreed to a Christmas with my family this year and I'm already over it. The good thing is it means we'll be on our own next year (our in-laws find hosting Christmas too much and prefer the day on their own too. Win win).

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I don't think it should be first come first served- if everyone wants it off, it should be a raffle
Just asking, but what's wrong with first come first served. Just like everything in life, if you leave it till the last minute you may not get what you want.

Reactions: 3
Just asking, but what's wrong with first come first served. Just like everything in life, if you leave it till the last minute you may not get what you want.
Yeah I see what you mean but for something like Christmas holidays it should be done on a raffle or shared evenly IMO- if it's a first come, first served basis you'd just have someone booking Christmas holidays in January

Christmas time off is not the same as some random week in June

• Haha
Yeah I see what you mean but for something like Christmas holidays it should be done on a raffle or shared evenly IMO- if it's a first come, first served basis you'd just have someone booking Christmas holidays in January

Christmas time off is not the same as some random week in June
I worked with a woman who always tried to book Christmas leave the Christmas before. So December 2021 book December 2022 off.

Our policy has always been requests open beginning of October and must apply by X date (normally 1st Nov) or you might not get it. Priority given to people who didn't have the year before off. Although I have never known anyone to be flat out denied as we generally discuss between ourselves and ensure there is cover before asking

Reactions: 10
I worked with a woman who always tried to book Christmas leave the Christmas before. So December 2021 book December 2022 off.

Our policy has always been requests open beginning of October and must apply by X date (normally 1st Nov) or you might not get it. Priority given to people who didn't have the year before off. Although I have never known anyone to be flat out denied as we generally discuss between ourselves and ensure there is cover before asking
I used to work in a supermarket and always got turned down because I don’t have kids and others do.

Like, that’s a lifestyle choice? Why should someone’s choice outside of work affect what happens within the workplace?! Unless it’s like a criminal record of course hahaha.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

This is exactly what I mean when I saw first come first served shouldn't work in the context of Christmas.

I used to work in a supermarket and always got turned down because I don’t have kids and others do.

Like, that’s a lifestyle choice? Why should someone’s choice outside of work affect what happens within the workplace?! Unless it’s like a criminal record of course hahaha.
Ugh that drives me mad. They should not be in a position to decide who's time off is more valuable than others- hence why a raffle or shared allocation system is the fairest

Reactions: 4
I used to get so stressed out over the Christmas period because me and my husband being child free are expected to be the ones travelling to see various family because they all have kids, we used to go back to work in January shattered and we had no time for ourselves! The last couple of years we have now decided Christmas is our time and we will spend it at home because our time off work has been earned and I'm not spending it travelling, hanging out with kids and generally being miserable! So we day to family they are welcome to come to ours if they want but they never do because of the kids so we are winning now and get to spend the festive season eating, drinking and doing what the hell we want :D
We've been together 16 years and have pretty much always done this, possibly apart from the first few years. We do visit key family members in the weekends leading up to Christmas but the event itself is always us at home. My mum has joined us for the last few but we never travel. It's wonderful and my favourite time of year!

Also, thrilled to have found this thread. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This is exactly what I mean when I saw first come first served shouldn't work in the context of Christmas.

Ugh that drives me mad. They should not be in a position to decide who's time off is more valuable than others- hence why a raffle or shared allocation system is the fairest
Totally.

First come first served works fine for a week in June or a few days in September.

We have a shared calendar and people should check there before asking. In theory if noone else is off then it is good to book. One or two off you night be declined. The whole team already off don't bother asking!

Used to work with someone who always went abroad over Christmas. It meant by default they always got it off, can’t say no if someone has booked and paid for a holiday.

• Wow
Reactions: 2

That’s on whoever does the rosters. I do ours and if anyone said they should take priority because they have kids they’d be told where to go.

Used to work with someone who always went abroad over Christmas. It meant by default they always got it off, can’t say no if someone has booked and paid for a holiday.
This used to annoy me so much, I’ve worked places before where they’ll say not to book a holiday before booking annual leave but then in practice they will never reject a request if a holiday has been booked. I hated it in the summer when you’d get all the parents going on leave at once leaving a couple of people to run the whole department for a fortnight. And before someone says ‘blame the managers not the parents’ I blame both tbh, they know what they’re doing and how crappy it is.

This used to annoy me so much, I’ve worked places before where they’ll say not to book a holiday before booking annual leave but then in practice they will never reject a request if a holiday has been booked. I hated it in the summer when you’d get all the parents going on leave at once leaving a couple of people to run the whole department for a fortnight. And before someone says ‘blame the managers not the parents’ I blame both tbh, they know what they’re doing and how crappy it is.
It's even more annoying when it's parents of kids that are like 15/16! May half term in my team, all three seniors were off on the same week, and I'd been asked to do the slide pack for a big meeting with all the execs. Obv had a flap because barely anyone in the trust was in so our director changed it so that all three couldn't be off at the same time

I also hate how where I work everything grinds to a halt over the summer holidays as barely anyone is in, then they try to jam my diary with urgent meetings in Sept and Oct - witch I'm on leave then NOPE.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Not in my job, people have been flat out told no. My manager takes no tit, I love her.

Reactions: 5
I actually have a similar but from another angle annoying example of this. A lot of people in my company (we are small) take large chunks of leave in the summer due to being parents therefore work slows down a bit, not grinds to a halt or anything but just slightly lower productivity. I always book my holidays outside of the summer as its cheaper, so like September/October for example - I usually take 2 weeks off for this and book it quite far in advance. My boss has never declined the leave but has ranted a bit that is odd that I need to my leave then, that everyone knows you take holidays in the summer - why don't I just take my leave then yada yada yada. I was annoyed. I'm not booking my leave just because some of the parents in the office are going to be off as well.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
The absolute cheek of your boss to declare it 'odd' that you take holidays in those months. Ugh I can't be dealing with these tit bosses

Reactions: 12
I actually have a similar but from another angle annoying example of this. A lot of people in my company (we are small) take large chunks of leave in the summer due to being parents therefore work slows down a bit, not grinds to a halt or anything but just slightly lower productivity. I always book my holidays outside of the summer as its cheaper, so like September/October for example - I usually take 2 weeks off for this and book it quite far in advance. My boss has never declined the leave but has ranted a bit that is odd that I need to my leave then, that everyone knows you take holidays in the summer - why don't I just take my leave then yada yada yada. I was annoyed. I'm not booking my leave just because some of the parents in the office are going to be off as well.
Omg my boss does this to me aswell! I take holidays out side of summer and half term because they are cheaper and she just can't wrap her hear around it!

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I deliberately book holidays out of term time - who wants a relaxing break ruined by screaming kids?!

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.