Childfree by Choice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I deliberately book holidays out of term time - who wants a relaxing break ruined by screaming kids?!
I used to be a teacher and all holidays were spent with loads of kids wherever you went. It was a bus man's holiday. Also prices double.
I'll never ever book leave when kids are on holiday

Reactions: 8
Christmas leave in my place is horrific to get. They dont prioritise anyone and its not first come first served. We are lucky to get 25th, 26th and 1st though as we're closed.

Reactions: 2
I actually have a similar but from another angle annoying example of this. A lot of people in my company (we are small) take large chunks of leave in the summer due to being parents therefore work slows down a bit, not grinds to a halt or anything but just slightly lower productivity. I always book my holidays outside of the summer as its cheaper, so like September/October for example - I usually take 2 weeks off for this and book it quite far in advance. My boss has never declined the leave but has ranted a bit that is odd that I need to my leave then, that everyone knows you take holidays in the summer - why don't I just take my leave then yada yada yada. I was annoyed. I'm not booking my leave just because some of the parents in the office are going to be off as well.
No way! One benefit of being childfree is obviously the flexibility for holidays and going away when it's cheaper etc, I actively avoid going away during the summer too because everywhere is full of kids. What a weird comment. I love a winter break or some January sun!

Christmas leave in my place is horrific to get. They dont prioritise anyone and its not first come first served. We are lucky to get 25th, 26th and 1st though as we're closed.
Somewhere I worked once was always closed between Christmas and New Year, and it really annoyed me that we had to deduct AL days to have that time off. I wouldn't choose it, I don't mind working between Christmas and New Year, I'd rather have the week before Christmas off (which barely anyone was ever allowed because we were all off the week after). One perk of being self-employed now, AL is on my terms and I don't have to consider a single other person!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I used to work in a supermarket and always got turned down because I don’t have kids and others do.

Like, that’s a lifestyle choice? Why should someone’s choice outside of work affect what happens within the workplace?! Unless it’s like a criminal record of course hahaha.
Even if you're childless you still have family. Not me personally, but do know people who have family abroad and due to family having children, they can't just come over whenever. (whereas my parents visit dad's family abroad during term time as most of family's children are grown up)

Reactions: 4
I deliberately book holidays out of term time - who wants a relaxing break ruined by screaming kids?!
I am fortunate enough that if I want tomorrow afternoon off I can book it and it's been like that for 10 years. My boyfriend on the other hand has fixed holidays apart from a few days which isn't enough to take a week off to go away somewhere outside of school holidays which everyone knows you pay a premium for. I do genuinely avoid certain places at certain times of year because of the amount of kids that are usually there.

Out of curiosity do any of you not have or want children for the worry of what the future holds for them? I'd say that's definitely a factor for me

Reactions: 5
I used to work in a supermarket and always got turned down because I don’t have kids and others do.

Like, that’s a lifestyle choice? Why should someone’s choice outside of work affect what happens within the workplace?! Unless it’s like a criminal record of course hahaha.
I was never turned down so blatantly as that, but I did once have a manager heavily imply that he didn't expect me to book time off over Christmas because I don't have kids.

I told him I would be booking time, because I have family and I like to spend time with them at Christmas.

Reactions: 7
I am fortunate enough that if I want tomorrow afternoon off I can book it and it's been like that for 10 years. My boyfriend on the other hand has fixed holidays apart from a few days which isn't enough to take a week off to go away somewhere outside of school holidays which everyone knows you pay a premium for. I do genuinely avoid certain places at certain times of year because of the amount of kids that are usually there.

Out of curiosity do any of you not have or want children for the worry of what the future holds for them? I'd say that's definitely a factor for me
I definitely think about the future for not wanting children, job security, financial worries, what the future of my Said child might be because at the moment the economy is messed up and so is the job and housing market, why would i want to inflict this on someone else who doesn't have a say in the matter?

Reactions: 7
The Christmas leave convo reminds me of something that I now realise was a discriminatory policy.
The company I worked for had a “family discount” policy where your “family” could get a huge discount on the products. Their definition of family was partners, children or the children of partners. So technically I could get a boyfriend in a day and their kid could benefit from the discount…but my own parents weren’t allowed.

Looking back I really should have complained. 😓

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11

Same here, I am lucky when it comes to booking leave, I’ve never had mine refused. Also my other half has his leave allocated each year, but the majority of his colleagues have kids so he gets to stay out of the argument over who gets to take school holidays off!
And yes if wanted kids I would definitely worry about what the future holds for them, especially with social media I’d constantly worry what they were doing/who they were talking to etc …

Reactions: 2
Just discovered this thread. Glad there are other like minded people here. Me and DH are childless by choice and love our life (and our fur baby!).

For my work I have to take holiday outside of school holidays as my boss and his family take time then. Suits me as I’m not paying huge amounts for holidays.

We have children who we gift to at Christmas/Birthday and when they hit 18 all presents stop. Same for nieces and nephews. There is only so much giving you can do! The one extreme will be our goddaughter who will continue to receive birthday gifts.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I was never turned down so blatantly as that, but I did once have a manager heavily imply that he didn't expect me to book time off over Christmas because I don't have kids.

I told him I would be booking time, because I have family and I like to spend time with them at Christmas.
I was only a teen so didn’t have the balls to say anything like that but I was told “**** has children so gets priority.” Their kids were like 19! Hahaha.

I'm self employed at the moment so can have holidays whenever I want so usually go in term time. However I'm giving it up and I'm dreading going back to being an employee with all these holiday/Christmas politics! The child free newbie is surely going to be way down the pecking order when it comes to booking time off!

100% yes. I've never wanted kids but less so now than ever before. Climate change, the declining economy, Brexit, the criminals that run this country... None of these things will change anytime soon. There is no way I would bring a child into this world knowing that they will eventually have to pick up the pieces.

Depressing I know but I'm just being honest 🤦‍♀️😆

• Heart
100% yes. I've never wanted kids but less so now than ever before. Climate change, the declining economy, Brexit, the criminals that run this country... None of these things will change anytime soon. There is no way I would bring a child into this world knowing that they will eventually have to pick up the pieces.

Depressing I know but I'm just being honest 🤦‍♀️😆
Yeah, I've never wanted kids just because I don't want to have kids but some things, like the things you've mentioned, make me glad I don't want kids. Because if I did want them I would obviously have them and then I'd feel guilty and worried.

Used to work with someone who always went abroad over Christmas. It meant by default they always got it off, can’t say no if someone has booked and paid for a holiday.
They are lucky I am not their boss, I would say who told you to book holidays without checking. Just not right, that someone gets Christmas off just by booking a trip abroad.

They are lucky I am not their boss, I would say who told you to book holidays without checking. Just not right, that someone gets Christmas off just by booking a trip abroad.
She had been doing it for years. It was just known that X always went away at Christmas. Was tit as it was a smallish team so someone else always missed out

• Angry
In my place youd just be told no :eek: even if youd booked it.
Same with everywhere I've ever worked, and also when I worked in HR it was the policy we had in place. There is absolutely no law that says you have to grant holiday's if it is booked and paid for.

Reactions: 3
Weak ineffectual managers were obviously to afraid to step in and make it fairer. And what a silly, selfish, inconsiderate cow

Reactions: 6
When I worked in retail, our manager said “those with kids have been given Christmas Eve and Boxing Day off and those without kids have been given New Year’s Eve and the day after New Year’s Day off, so it’s fair”.

Which was just ridiculous 🙄. Just because I don’t have kids, it doesn’t mean I don’t want Christmas off! And a lot of my Christmases got ruined when I was a kid so now I’m an adult I like to make the most of Christmas…

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.