Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just send there’s a petition going around to ‘allow’ parents to take their kids out of school for two weeks a year, penalty free.
It’s ridiculous. If you want to take your kids out of school, you have to accept the consequences! Now it’s like as though they want all of the perks of going in term time but none of the pitfalls. If you don’t want to pay the fine, don’t take them 😂

Reactions: 11
I agree, but not just about the child’s education but the child as a whole. I’ve known a few children get very upset at being taken out of school for a holiday because they’re worried about certain things; having to lie to the teacher if the parents lie about why they’re off, their friends ‘moving on’/getting a new best friend, missing out on sleepovers or birthday parties etc, if their friend will be on their own and missing out on the work and not being able to catch up etc.

I know it’s expensive to go away in school holidays but it’s better to keep your child in education and with their social group and do what holidays you can around that. Education, responsibility, friends and everything else they get from school is so important and while a lot of people say holidays are enriching, they can be, but they will be during the school holidays as well even if they’re shorter or different.

I do feel sorry for kids because they have no say over this kind of thing but it’s them that is affected by it.
Besides, are holidays mandatory or something now? When I was a kid, if we couldn't afford it, we didn't go anywhere. I didn't even get on a plane until high school, let alone being abroad every summer. I know some things are more financially accessible compared to the 90s and 00s but why do parents assume that kids leaving school during term time is petition worthy? If you can't afford it, don't bloody do it. A holiday abroad isn't a necessity, it's a luxury. I wish all of us could afford that kind of a break but we can't, along with many other things. If going to Spain or France or Greece or Turkey or wherever every summer is non-negotiable for you, then you make sure your finances allow that, or you don't have kids. I am childfree and I still can't afford some of the holidays these families are going on, it doesn't mean I am going to make it everyone else's problem to make it possible for me. What even.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
It’s ridiculous. If you want to take your kids out of school, you have to accept the consequences! Now it’s like as though they want all of the perks of going in term time but none of the pitfalls. If you don’t want to pay the fine, don’t take them 😂
and this is exactly why kids are the way they are now - consequences. Parents don't accept them, don't let their kids accept them and don't teach them that every action has a consequence

Reactions: 15
It’s as if some parents think the world revolves around them and their offspring.

Reactions: 12
I feel no guilt about spending all of our money on holidays 🤭🤭. Where did you go Hogi? Cape Verde? I hope to go there sometime. We're off to Rhodes next week
Me either 😂. I’m in Rhodes just now, the weather is amazing!

• Heart
Reactions: 4