Chidera Eggerue aka The Slumflower

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's shameful for a mental health charity to get involved with public shaming. They know it can cause mental health problems but they went ahead and decided to make a public statement they know will add fuel to the fire.

Everyone needs to grow the duck up and get off Instagram for a while.
BMM were absolutely not public shaming anyone... The donation wreaks of a PR stunt to me and I would've rejected it too for that very reason.

I don't believe that CE should get monetary compensation as she claims, but given what we know about power dynamics in publishing, she absolutely could've been better supported by DB. What that support looked like isn't for me to say

Has she made donations to any charities in the black community at all? Tbh I didn’t know FG made donations either ( and this has actually changed my opinion a bit of her) just from the fact she is donating but not shouting about it. It’s also quite telling that Aja is in support of FG as well and isn’t willing to tear into her. Aja is not shy to tell people that she doesn’t agree with something. I do think there is a lot more to this than what we know and I also think there will be more to come ( i kind of feel we are at the simmering point and it’s not reached its peak just yet).
But arguably she is? She could have just said that she'd donated to a select few charities and not stated which or said it was a private matter?

Reactions: 6
BMM were absolutely not public shaming anyone... The donation wreaks of a PR stunt to me and I would've rejected it too for that very reason.

I don't believe that CE should get monetary compensation as she claims, but given what we know about power dynamics in publishing, she absolutely could've been better supported by DB. What that support looked like isn't for me to say

But arguably she is? She could have just said that she'd donated to a select few charities and not stated which or said it was a private matter?
Does this mean she has posted about donating to a few charities then? I won’t have seen this as I stopped following her ( i think) just before all this started to unfold late last year. I assumed she had donated but then hadn’t shared this information with anyone but this had only come to light because BMM had specifically addressed it.

Does this mean she has posted about donating to a few charities then? I won’t have seen this as I stopped following her ( i think) just before all this started to unfold late last year. I assumed she had donated but then hadn’t shared this information with anyone but this had only come to light because BMM had specifically addressed it.
I don't follow any of them but I saw a story on a previous page (either here or in the FG thread - I can't keep up ahah) with the charities that she'd donated to already with her advance.

She also said that she intended to donate again when her first royalties came out in 2021, with that charity "most likely being BMM".

I think that prompted BMM to respond and address it...

Reactions: 3
I don't follow any of them but I saw a story on a previous page (either here or in the FG thread - I can't keep up ahah) with the charities that she'd donated to already with her advance.

She also said that she intended to donate again when her first royalties came out in 2021, with that charity "most likely being BMM".

I think that prompted BMM to respond and address it...
Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying 🙂. Pleased she has donated but would have liked it better if she donated but didn’t feel the need to tell people about it.

Reactions: 2
Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying 🙂. Pleased she has donated but would have liked it better if she donated but didn’t feel the need to tell people about it.
Same here! I do think it was to deflect from the ongoing shitstorm...

I think the reason she stated her charity donations because of what Chidera had said? Chidera had put something in her stories asking why Florence didn’t redistribute her money etc, and so that’s why Florence had clarified that she had but usually chooses not to mention it. I think she’s stuck between a rock and a hard place as she felt she had to make it clear where she does donate to because Chidera was demanding she did so, but at the same time people then see that as her trying to make herself look better. (Not saying giving £ to charity negates any of the criticism of her at all)

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think the reason she stated her charity donations because of what Chidera had said? Chidera had put something in her stories asking why Florence didn’t redistribute her money etc, and so that’s why Florence had clarified that she had but usually chooses not to mention it. I think she’s stuck between a rock and a hard place as she felt she had to make it clear where she does donate to because Chidera was demanding she did so, but at the same time people then see that as her trying to make herself look better. (Not saying giving £ to charity negates any of the criticism of her at all)
Ah I see - is that why CE was asking for personal reparations after then? Or did that come before?

Reactions: 2
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. In the same statement BMM issued saying that they refused FG donation as it was performative, they said that they didn’t have the resource to support Chidera. That money could have helped others but was rejected due to pride. No charity is ever 100% altruistic.

Ah I see - is that why CE was asking for personal reparations after then? Or did that come before?
After

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I think it was in the same series of stories as demanding to know how Florence redistributes wealth, that she also said Florence should give her money (honestly there’s been so many stories it’s hard to keep track 😂) But the specific claim that Florence should give her 70% of her royalties came a couple weeks after Florence’s statement about the charity donations

Reactions: 4
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. In the same statement BMM issued saying that they refused FG donation as it was performative, they said that they didn’t have the resource to support Chidera. That money could have helped others but was rejected due to pride. No charity is ever 100% altruistic.

After
I think their point about not having resources to support Ce is because their funds are being used for people in genuine need. i.e. coiuldn't afford their own therapy.

I don't know Ce's situation, but I'd like to think she's not too hard up.

Also charities are political, as is where they get their money from... call that pride if you will

I think it was in the same series of stories as demanding to know how Florence redistributes wealth, that she also said Florence should give her money (honestly there’s been so many stories it’s hard to keep track 😂) But the specific claim that Florence should give her 70% of her royalties came a couple weeks after Florence’s statement about the charity donations
Ikr!! 🤣🤣

74E72C6C-FAEF-4C30-AE9D-FEE460D9D028.jpeg
D526A0F1-626C-4F99-942D-BA90A49FB5E6.jpeg

Chidera isn’t too hard up at all or she might not have such idiotic views about wealth implying that relationships are a privilege only to be awarded to the wealthy or comfortable.

nothing radical or feminist about about anyone reinforcing capitalist dogma and a nouveau caste system.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
The denim thing is just so ridiculous 😂 and yes, if I’m being objective, my biggest issue with her is the way she talks about money in the context of relationships and says men shouldn’t have the audacity to approach her if they don’t have the funds? I’ve been trying to find it but she did also once say something along the lines of women should expect to wear makeup if they want to attract a quality man lollll

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
View attachment 381354View attachment 381355
Chidera isn’t too hard up at all or she might not have such idiotic views about wealth implying that relationships are a privilege only to be awarded to the wealthy or comfortable.

nothing radical or feminist about about anyone reinforcing capitalist dogma and a nouveau caste system.
🤮🤮🤮 that's bleeping grim. I can't stand that attitude.

Chidera seriously needs to look at how privileged she actually is in this world. She's got a lot of work to do to address her own and repair some of the damage she's done to other communities (I'm thinking working class, trans, and sex workers' communities to begin with). She seems to think the world should revolve around her purely for being a Black woman, but what has she ever done for the LGBT community, disabled people, Jewish people, literally any other community that she's not personally a part of?

The narcissism and victim mentality is too much lmao. And it's dangerous. If she sees herself as always being the victim then she's deliberately ignoring the harm she's able to do to marginalized groups she doesn't belong to - and certainly not "doing the work" to liberate those groups.

RE BMM, they constantly moan about how finite their service is and how they can't support everyone they'd like to. I think it's awful that their clients, who are vulnerable individuals, are the ones suffering as a result of BMM's pigheaded and ego-driven decision to turn down funds.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I have just read FG statement on IG. Posting this for others to read. Her account of why there are similarities to me sounds plausible. Why then the book publisher has allowed for a similar colour scheme / style of book is anyone’s guess but some of the buck does lie with FG here as presumably she would have had a copy of CE book prior to print?( although it is also possible that it was then far too late to make amendments ) which then puts this back at the publishers door.

If this is indeed the case then I do not understand why CE has targeted FG primarily and not the publisher because in this instance they are the common denominator.

Attachments

• Heart
I think that BMM are disgusting to turn down money. We’re in a global pandemic where people’s mental health has been impacted massively. Black people face massive barriers in access to services and in even reaching out to get help.

They seem very London centric which is a massive problem to me for a start, but this charity, who openly say they don’t have the funds to help people like Chidera, think it’s ok to turn down money whilst then publically asking for go fund me donations from the community. Do they vet everyone who gives them a donation?

My mother worked in mental health and had clients refused help from mental health charities because of behaviours displayed as part of their illness and she campaigned and fought on their behalf to overcome these barriers which stopped working class people accessing help but this charity is entrenching the barriers faced by Black people by not accepting money which could clearly help.

I come from one of the poorest communities in Europe. The health inequalities here are enormous and quality of life and opportunities are hard to come by. Unemployment is extremely high and there is very little generational wealth. My family were beaten in school for speaking our native language and we remain underfunded. If a charity that was meant to help my community had more issues with where the money came from than concern for the people they could help then I wouldn’t donate to them either.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
It’s also quite telling that Aja is in support of FG as well and isn’t willing to tear into her. Aja is not shy to tell people that she doesn’t agree with something. I do think there is a lot more to this than what we know and I also think there will be more to come ( i kind of feel we are at the simmering point and it’s not reached its peak just yet).
This ^^^. Aja (who I am a fan of, and fully believe there are people in her DM’s demanding solidarity with CE, just as they have with others, just like they’re messing up the promo post for another authors work) will really go hard for somebody if she’s in their corner, so it speaks volumes that not only is she not siding with Chidera, she’s been vocal about her support for Florence.
I found it funny her tweets suggest that Chidera followed her only 2 days before she announced her allegations, and having never supported Aja before now expects support from Aja.

• Heart
This ^^^. Aja (who I am a fan of, and fully believe there are people in her DM’s demanding solidarity with CE, just as they have with others, just like they’re messing up the promo post for another authors work) will really go hard for somebody if she’s in their corner, so it speaks volumes that not only is she not siding with Chidera, she’s been vocal about her support for Florence.
I found it funny her tweets suggest that Chidera followed her only 2 days before she announced her allegations, and having never supported Aja before now expects support from Aja.
I had a look at who Aja & Chidera follow last night. Neither follow the other ( and I think same for Munroe as well.) I didn’t realise that Chidera had followed Aja just before all this happened. I just assumed loads of Chidera’s followers had started following Aja and then got on her back.

I agree that it’s odd they refused the donation - it’s also possible that Chidera had been in contact with the charity and fed them some lines so they then decided they felt it was best not to accept. For them to refuse it could have been quite a serious accusation from Chidera ( and I need to stress I am only speculating here ). However it does seem that this is something Chidera might have done ( given there is proof of her dm’ing multiple people and giving them grief).

Last edited:
I had a look at who Aja & Chidera follow last night. Neither follow the other ( and I think same for Munroe as well.) I didn’t realise that Chidera had followed Aja just before all this happened. I just assumed loads of Chidera’s followers had started following Aja and then got on her back.

I agree that it’s odd they refused the donation - it’s also possible that Chidera had been in contact with the charity and fed them some lines so they then decided they felt it was best not to accept. For them to refuse it could have been quite a serious accusation from Chidera ( and I need to stress I am only speculating here ). However it does seem that this is something Chidera might have done ( given there is proof of her dm’ing multiple people and giving them grief).
It was in these tweets, she doesn’t name names but it’s strongly implied she’s talking about Chidera.

Attachments

It was in these tweets, she doesn’t name names but it’s strongly implied she’s talking about Chidera.
Ahh yes it does make sense actually. I have not heard of CE prior to seeing the allegations over on the FG thread 48 hours ago but she really does come across as a bitter pill. I actually feel sorry for FG as i think she has become a scapegoat in all this mess. If anything as i said earlier all this mess should land at publishers/marketing team door as they are the common denominator in all this mess. I just cant get my head around why Chidera has targetted FG (and seems to have mostly ignored the DB Group - other than making a few requests which seems to have gone down as a lead balloon).

It seems implied that Chidera was using slurs against other BIPOC women in DMs is there any evidence of that?

Whole thing is a mess to me!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.