Cheer - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished episode 1 and have some thoughts:

- The show is doing TV no favours. I’ve heard that they were asked to feature more heavily in S1 but chose to decline because they wanted to see what direction the show would go in first but they look so incredibly bitter of Navarro’s success.

- I can’t remember his name for the life of me but the TV athlete who basically implied that Daytona was rigged since Navarro got to perform twice was so mind boggling. If anything they were at a disadvantage as they were down one athlete and had to regroup last minute.

- Not a fan of Jada and her superiority complex at all.

- Love the Navarro newbies. I understand why Brooke didn’t make the team but the way Monica spoke about her during the deliberation process seemed a little harsh?

- A lot more footage of Jerry than what I expected there to be. Granted there was no way they could’ve edited him out completely but it feels so chilling seeing him onscreen knowing what has happened since filming.

- The dynamic between the main cast and the “background” athletes is really interesting to see. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them are downplaying it so they don’t look bitter lmao.
ooh yes! I’m not 100% how scoring works for college cheer but Im sure in all stars if they need to stop for injury or something the score only counts from the point of the stoppage. So any SB,AF or incomplete tumbling etc from the first performance still count. So it stops the whole “performed twice” advantage thing

I’m on ep 8 of season 2, don’t love the attitude of Trinity College at alllllll, so focused on hating Navarro. Don’t think there’s been as much focus on the actual cheerleading this season, more about the rest of the drama. I’ve enjoyed it but preferred s1.
This is what’s annoying me a little, as it’s perpetuating the stereotype that cheer is just about bitchyness and drama and not the hard work that goes on. Literally just had a chat with my cheer bestie saying exactly this.

ooh yes! I’m not 100% how scoring works for college cheer but Im sure in all stars if they need to stop for injury or something the score only counts from the point of the stoppage. So any SB,AF or incomplete tumbling etc from the first performance still count. So it stops the whole “performed twice” advantage thing
It’s the same for college. On their second run they would only have been scored from the point the music was stopped. I thought that comment from the guy at TVCC was really unfair - they absolutely had to stop the routine for safety reasons. We’ve had a routine stop before for injury and in the end we chose not to go back out and compete again (our kids were literally in floods of tears and couldn’t have done it) and our score from the first performance up to where the routine stopped was counted (and got us 2nd place!!)

Reactions: 2
I binged watched it all
didn’t care to watch the tvcc parts, they just seemed rude. Didn’t they say they didn’t want fame but refused to do it last season so only did it once they saw what Navarro got out of it? Also Dee kinda annoyed me like all he had to do was smile and he was just making a big thing about it?

How was Gabi still able to cheer with them I swear she wasn’t even meant to be there in s1 but she went back and then went back again s2?
I loved Cass and Gillian’s friendship and sad they won’t be together if there’s a s3. Also like Maddy she’s so hard working and just wants to improve doesn’t seem to care about the fame.

I’m surprised that mistakes get so little points knocked off, don’t know how points work at all. I just expected that mistakes would take more off than 0.whatever

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Only half way through episode 3, but surprised at how much Jerry still features in the show, I can understand they can't completely cut him out of the documentary, but I feel like the solo interview parts etc could have been cut from the show.

Reactions: 8
Only half way through episode 3, but surprised at how much Jerry still features in the show, I can understand they can't completely cut him out of the documentary, but I feel like the solo interview parts etc could have been cut from the show.
Ok now I have watched more and they address what happened it makes more sense to me.

Reactions: 1
I was surprised to see the twins in the episode, I knew the show would address the situation but didn’t expect to see them on it but what brave people!!

Gabi saying she could never hate Jerry was a big 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄. He’s a child predator but you don’t hate him??? Alright sis. She grates on me a lotttt. I used to love watching the series smoed did on YouTube and didn’t love her on there either.

Reactions: 11
I haven’t enjoyed this season anywhere near as much as the first season or as much as I thought I would. The switching between teams has meant I don’t feel any connection to any of the team members (like I did Morgan, Gabi, etc in season 1). So I didn’t really root for either team, I hoped Navarro would win simply because of S1. I found TVCC unlikeable generally, potentially bitchy even - so focussed on Navarro but not themselves idk. All in all, I don’t think I could tell you any of the new members names on either team, apart from Maddy

Reactions: 10
I wonder if TVCC decided to join in more out of not being painted as the villain. I was a massive fan of ATVs Cheerleaders on YouTube which followed California Allstars smoed. But at one point I remember it getting really toxic- inflated egos, and so much hate towards Brandon Allstars because they were the dramatic rivals and none of those athletes deserved that. It got to the point where for both sides there were people celebrating when an athlete fell from a stunt.

I’ve just finished the Daytona eps. Definitely think there could be a season 3 with more of this rivalry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I’m surprised that mistakes get so little points knocked off, don’t know how points work at all. I just expected that mistakes would take more off than 0.whatever
There's different deductions for different things. For the scoresheet they used at Daytona in 2021 for an athlete fall like in tumbling or jumps it's .25, for a stunt fall (but caught by bases) it's .75 and a major stunt fall is 1.25 - that's when the flyer and/or bases all fall to the floor.

You also can get deduced for going out of bounds, running over the time limit, safety (like competing something illegal at the level you're performing in), image violations (inappropriate uniforms/choreo or music) and also for unsportsmanlike conduct which can be to do with coach or spectator behaviour - this is a full point off and can result in disqualification.

It really doesn't seem like much but honestly cheer can be SO close that just one deduction can take you from a raw score in 1st place to be sitting in 3rd or 4th. Hitting zero deductions is the ultimate goal for most teams.

The scoresheet and deductions have actually changed this year and a lot of people are unhappy with the changes as the deduction amounts are even smaller which doesn't encourage clean (and safe) cheerleading. If you are only getting deducted .05 for a tumble bust then teams are more likely to push boundaries and throw things they maybe aren't ready for because the deduction is now so tiny. A stunt fall is .25 now.

Sorry for the in-depth explanation that probably wasn't needed... I really love scoresheets :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 5
There's different deductions for different things. For the scoresheet they used at Daytona in 2021 for an athlete fall like in tumbling or jumps it's .25, for a stunt fall (but caught by bases) it's .75 and a major stunt fall is 1.25 - that's when the flyer and/or bases all fall to the floor.

You also can get deduced for going out of bounds, running over the time limit, safety (like competing something illegal at the level you're performing in), image violations (inappropriate uniforms/choreo or music) and also for unsportsmanlike conduct which can be to do with coach or spectator behaviour - this is a full point off and can result in disqualification.

It really doesn't seem like much but honestly cheer can be SO close that just one deduction can take you from a raw score in 1st place to be sitting in 3rd or 4th. Hitting zero deductions is the ultimate goal for most teams.

The scoresheet and deductions have actually changed this year and a lot of people are unhappy with the changes as the deduction amounts are even smaller which doesn't encourage clean (and safe) cheerleading. If you are only getting deducted .05 for a tumble bust then teams are more likely to push boundaries and throw things they maybe aren't ready for because the deduction is now so tiny. A stunt fall is .25 now.

Sorry for the in-depth explanation that probably wasn't needed... I really love scoresheets :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Maybe you can help.. to me, an uneducated viewer, the 2 falls TVCC made on the first day looked far worse than the 1 fall made by Navarro. How come this didn’t feel reflected in the scores? Was their routine more difficult overall so the mistakes didn’t effect the scores as much?

Reactions: 3
Maybe you can help.. to me, an uneducated viewer, the 2 falls TVCC made on the first day looked far worse than the 1 fall made by Navarro. How come this didn’t feel reflected in the scores? Was their routine more difficult overall so the mistakes didn’t effect the scores as much?
Good question :)

It can be a mix of different things. I'll spoiler tag this for anyone who hasn't watched to the end yet or genuinely has no interest in reading me ramble on about cheer scores for a bit.

Basically at all two day competitions day two is where it counts. Some comps, like Worlds, just use day 1 to give you a placing and then scrap the score completely and start fresh for day 2. Some take an average and work out a final score across both days. I think they said on the show that at Daytona it's 25% from day 1 and 75% from day 2 but I'm going to be honest and say I have no idea how that actually works in practice as I'm not a qualified judge and we don't have many two day comps here in the UK. Although I'm going to make an attempt at figuring it out below :D

Long story short, you ALWAYS want to perform better day 2. Champions are made on day 2.

Here's what I can learn from looking at the score breakdowns (all available publically - https://www.varsity.com/nca/wp-cont...Large-Coed-Junior-College-Finals-Averages.pdf)

On Day 1 - Navarro had a raw score of 98.33 with zero deductions. They would be looking to push that score higher on day 2 for security which they could do by upping their execution score (just performing a cleaner routine) or by trying to get a better choreo or overall impression score. Like Monica says on the show, cheerleading is a subjective sport - so much of it depends on what an individual judge thinks of your routine. She said the judges sometimes score quite conservatively on day 1 - I've also known judges to hold back slightly on the first few teams of a division on day 1 as they don't want to give out super high scores right off the bat as everything coming after needs to compare.

TVCC had a raw score of 97.77 and 1.75 of deductions. This took their score down to 96 so they were really needing to not only hit a clean routine on day 2, but also up their score as they were behind Navarro's raw score by effectively two thirds of a point.

25% of Navarro's score is 24.58 and TVCC's is 24 so honestly not much difference in what they are taking in to day 2. Hence why the day 2 score is what really counts.

Day 2 - Navarro got a .75 deduction for the fall. This also meant their "stunt execution" score dropped to 4.8 when it had been 4.9 the previous day. They upped their pyramid score and jump score but didn't make improvements anywhere else. Final score for day 2 performance was 97.98. 75% of this is 73.49.

TVCC really nailed day 2. They upped their scores in all building categories (stunts, pyramids, tosses) and also improved their choreography score AND overall effect score. Plus no deductions. Their total day 2 score was 98.96 so almost a full point higher than Navarro. 75% of this is 74.22.

Navarro total event score - 24.58 + 73.49 = 98.07
TVCC total event score - 24 + 74.22 = 98.22

TVCC upping those scores on day 2 really made all the difference, although if Navarro hadn't got that deduction they would still have won. It just highlights how close it was and how deductions can really change the final rankings. So much of cheer comes down to your luck on the day as well as the judges own personal preferences - really interesting that TVCC improved their choreo and overall impression scores since the actual substance of the routine probably didn't change between days, but they said themselves they didn't feel good on day 1 so probably brought it more on day 2. The judges can tell when you are enjoying yourself and will score accordingly.

I don't know if this has helped answer your question at all, but honestly I really enjoyed breaking it all down :D I can see how it can be confusing from an outsider perspective - especially if you don't understand the scoring system. I liked that they did try and go in to some detail about scoring on the show this season though.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
As someone who adored season 1 and has watched it multiple times, I am SO disappointed with season 2. I was worried it wouldn’t be as good, but oh my god it’s awful! Like everyone’s said, too much focus on TV, but it’s all just so negative! From the unnecessary hate/drama between the rival teams, to covid, to Jerry, to DWTS, then as soon as Morgan and Lexi left it just became sooo boring! They would have been better off scrapping the whole thing and done a 1 off episode just interviewing the cast about everything that’s happened with clips in between. I’m also disappointed with the lack of actual cheering during S2! Too much talking, S1 focused on the routine and the lead up to Daytona, but I couldn’t tell you even who’s who or who’s where on mat. It’s completely ruined it for me

Reactions: 15
Watched 6 eps of this now and find myself starting to zone out when it gets like 20 mins in. The first eps were weird, kind of felt padded out as they kept going on big monologues about absolutely nothing.

The Jerry episode was a bit darker than I expected. He was like a serial predator or something. And when they came back after Covid it definitely wasn't the same. Any magic was truly gone. Especially with the coach flying off to get her reality TV career going. And couldn't care one bit about the other school. I think they had something magic that just seemed to work with the first season but can't see it getting renewed after this

Reactions: 6
I thought it was really weird how they were gearing up for competition, it got cancelled and then loads of people disappeared and that was it. I mean I get it, I know it’s Covid and all, but they could have interviewed Morgan and Lexie etc. They were a huge part of it and then they just vanished. And the assistant coach guy wasn’t even mentioned was he? He just vanished and was replaced by Peppers and no one even said where he went?!?
Bit disappointed in series 2 - I know nothing about cheer in general but I loved the first series and was so invested by the Daytona episode! This time is was padded out to make it a longer series, everyone changed suddenly, the Jerry thing was well handled I thought but obviously awful. Just weird really. I like the rivalry stuff because it would just be the same series on repeat if they only followed Navarro, but the TVCC people weren’t as likeable!

Reactions: 9
I thought it was really weird how they were gearing up for competition, it got cancelled and then loads of people disappeared and that was it. I mean I get it, I know it’s Covid and all, but they could have interviewed Morgan and Lexie etc. They were a huge part of it and then they just vanished. And the assistant coach guy wasn’t even mentioned was he? He just vanished and was replaced by Peppers and no one even said where he went?!?
Bit disappointed in series 2 - I know nothing about cheer in general but I loved the first series and was so invested by the Daytona episode! This time is was padded out to make it a longer series, everyone changed suddenly, the Jerry thing was well handled I thought but obviously awful. Just weird really. I like the rivalry stuff because it would just be the same series on repeat if they only followed Navarro, but the TVCC people weren’t as likeable!
I found this, but you’re right it’s still odd they didn’t mention him on the show

Reactions: 4
I found this, but you’re right it’s still odd they didn’t mention him on the show
Ohhhh didn’t know he was behind Cheersource! That’s supposed to be this weekend but I think it went virtual because of covid. It’s really weird that they didn’t put it on the show, especially because it was a new event so you’d think they would want to try and promote it. Maybe the production team said no though. Also if you watched the first season you would know that Varsity has a bit of a monopoly when it comes to cheer comps - cheersource isn’t under that brand and offers bids to an alternative World champ event that isn’t the “official” one and there’s currently a bit of drama around that so they maybe wanted to keep it out of the spotlight.

Reactions: 1
Just finished the season and I was also disappointed. There was too much of a focus on the personal lives/ things that came out of their fame. The episode on Jerry and his arrest left a bad taste in my mouth. There’s some things you can keep to yourself and not say publicly eg the whole thing about not being able to cut out Jerry and wanting to support him. La Darius was very close to him and voiced his opinions in a much better way then Monica and Gabi. The “I stand with victims of Sexual Abuse” kind of came across as impersonal and like Monica didn’t quite believe Jerry’s victims- i could be reading too much into it but as a victim of SA myself it wouldn’t be a reaction id want to see on TV if I went public and someone was interviewed about it. But then again Navarro aren’t without their own problems with safeguarding athletes if the live La Darius published is anything to go by.

Reactions: 5
Watched 6 eps of this now and find myself starting to zone out when it gets like 20 mins in. The first eps were weird, kind of felt padded out as they kept going on big monologues about absolutely nothing.

The Jerry episode was a bit darker than I expected. He was like a serial predator or something. And when they came back after Covid it definitely wasn't the same. Any magic was truly gone. Especially with the coach flying off to get her reality TV career going. And couldn't care one bit about the other school. I think they had something magic that just seemed to work with the first season but can't see it getting renewed after this
omg the constant monologues are getting soooo repetitive! So sick of hearing Monica complain about getting negative attention. I actually find the TVCC bits slightly more interesting. I may be in the minority but I like Jada - she may not be a 'soft' personality, doesn't seem interested in being likeable for the cameras but I find that really refreshing. Overall this series is beginning to drag for me though (i'm on episode 6). Also what happened to Andy after covid?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7