Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Razzmatazz

Chatty Member
Has anyone watched this?

I'm off work sick and I've just binged through it, perfect sick day TV!

I knew that cheerleading wasn't just pompoms and dancing but I didn't quite realise how intense it is. The coach is a bit insane in the way she pushes them through training even when they are pretty badly injured.

Also I cannot stand Gabi Butler's family.

Reactions: 19

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I also hateddddd the way the routines were edited, especially at Daytona. Like let me watch the routine without all the weird editing please😭

• Heart
Reactions: 18

UsernameOfDreams

Unpopular opinion, but I don't get maternal vibes from Monica AT ALL.
I think she's very quid pro quo and whatever emotional support she provides is always for her own benefit. Happy athletes = good results.

Also, I'm giving up on watching season 2, as I just can't make it trough a single episode without falling asleep.

Reactions: 18

gossipgirlxxo

VIP Member
As someone who adored season 1 and has watched it multiple times, I am SO disappointed with season 2. I was worried it wouldn’t be as good, but oh my god it’s awful! Like everyone’s said, too much focus on TV, but it’s all just so negative! From the unnecessary hate/drama between the rival teams, to covid, to Jerry, to DWTS, then as soon as Morgan and Lexi left it just became sooo boring! They would have been better off scrapping the whole thing and done a 1 off episode just interviewing the cast about everything that’s happened with clips in between. I’m also disappointed with the lack of actual cheering during S2! Too much talking, S1 focused on the routine and the lead up to Daytona, but I couldn’t tell you even who’s who or who’s where on mat. It’s completely ruined it for me

Reactions: 15

Lola UK

VIP Member
Agree with most of you 😫 it just didn’t have the magic of series 1. I get it was hard because of covid but.. they just focussed on all the wrong things imo.

the fame has got to their heads. I wish it wasn’t as popular as it was, I don’t want to see episodes of them talking about dancing with the stars or selling videos. Maybe one episode covering it but not the whole season.

I didn’t feel attached to the team at all, I felt like I barely knew the routine or the members of the team. It was all so strange. After covid so many disappeared without mention of them again which I didn’t understand.

Monica should just stick to cheer coaching and stop posting on social media and trying to be famous.

Reactions: 12

BeachBaby

VIP Member
I'm really surprised at the hate for TVCC! I loved them was barracking for them to win. Navarro were too focused on the fame and the tv interviews, advertisements etc esp led by Monica. They were a bit up themselves really.
It would have been boring if Navarro won again and I'm glad they didn't. 💃

Reactions: 11

kazizzle

VIP Member
Maybe you can help.. to me, an uneducated viewer, the 2 falls TVCC made on the first day looked far worse than the 1 fall made by Navarro. How come this didn’t feel reflected in the scores? Was their routine more difficult overall so the mistakes didn’t effect the scores as much?
Good question :)

It can be a mix of different things. I'll spoiler tag this for anyone who hasn't watched to the end yet or genuinely has no interest in reading me ramble on about cheer scores for a bit.

Basically at all two day competitions day two is where it counts. Some comps, like Worlds, just use day 1 to give you a placing and then scrap the score completely and start fresh for day 2. Some take an average and work out a final score across both days. I think they said on the show that at Daytona it's 25% from day 1 and 75% from day 2 but I'm going to be honest and say I have no idea how that actually works in practice as I'm not a qualified judge and we don't have many two day comps here in the UK. Although I'm going to make an attempt at figuring it out below :D

Long story short, you ALWAYS want to perform better day 2. Champions are made on day 2.

Here's what I can learn from looking at the score breakdowns (all available publically - https://www.varsity.com/nca/wp-cont...Large-Coed-Junior-College-Finals-Averages.pdf)

On Day 1 - Navarro had a raw score of 98.33 with zero deductions. They would be looking to push that score higher on day 2 for security which they could do by upping their execution score (just performing a cleaner routine) or by trying to get a better choreo or overall impression score. Like Monica says on the show, cheerleading is a subjective sport - so much of it depends on what an individual judge thinks of your routine. She said the judges sometimes score quite conservatively on day 1 - I've also known judges to hold back slightly on the first few teams of a division on day 1 as they don't want to give out super high scores right off the bat as everything coming after needs to compare.

TVCC had a raw score of 97.77 and 1.75 of deductions. This took their score down to 96 so they were really needing to not only hit a clean routine on day 2, but also up their score as they were behind Navarro's raw score by effectively two thirds of a point.

25% of Navarro's score is 24.58 and TVCC's is 24 so honestly not much difference in what they are taking in to day 2. Hence why the day 2 score is what really counts.

Day 2 - Navarro got a .75 deduction for the fall. This also meant their "stunt execution" score dropped to 4.8 when it had been 4.9 the previous day. They upped their pyramid score and jump score but didn't make improvements anywhere else. Final score for day 2 performance was 97.98. 75% of this is 73.49.

TVCC really nailed day 2. They upped their scores in all building categories (stunts, pyramids, tosses) and also improved their choreography score AND overall effect score. Plus no deductions. Their total day 2 score was 98.96 so almost a full point higher than Navarro. 75% of this is 74.22.

Navarro total event score - 24.58 + 73.49 = 98.07
TVCC total event score - 24 + 74.22 = 98.22

TVCC upping those scores on day 2 really made all the difference, although if Navarro hadn't got that deduction they would still have won. It just highlights how close it was and how deductions can really change the final rankings. So much of cheer comes down to your luck on the day as well as the judges own personal preferences - really interesting that TVCC improved their choreo and overall impression scores since the actual substance of the routine probably didn't change between days, but they said themselves they didn't feel good on day 1 so probably brought it more on day 2. The judges can tell when you are enjoying yourself and will score accordingly.

I don't know if this has helped answer your question at all, but honestly I really enjoyed breaking it all down :D I can see how it can be confusing from an outsider perspective - especially if you don't understand the scoring system. I liked that they did try and go in to some detail about scoring on the show this season though.

• Heart

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I was surprised to see the twins in the episode, I knew the show would address the situation but didn’t expect to see them on it but what brave people!!

Gabi saying she could never hate Jerry was a big 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄. He’s a child predator but you don’t hate him??? Alright sis. She grates on me a lotttt. I used to love watching the series smoed did on YouTube and didn’t love her on there either.

barryjones

VIP Member
Just finished S2. Side note - I’m in love with Khris from TVCC. I enjoyed their stories and think without the TVCC side of things this season would have been a write off. I can’t decide if I liked Jada or she was obnoxious and only doing it for screen time.

Monica disappointed me, the way she treated them all and just grabbed at the next media opportunity when they were all exhausted. I don’t think she came out of this in a good light this time. Toward the end it looked like she’d lost it and wasn’t really hyping them up or giving them direction anymore. Compared to the TVCC coaches. Even down to when they were looking at scores on day 1, Monica didn’t seem as interested.

Can’t stand Gabi’s parents, even more so in season 1. Gabi is clearly their golden goose and they don’t care what she wants it’s all about fame and money. Wouldn’t be surprised if the poor girl has a meltdown soon.

comment on life

Season 2 lacked all of what made season 1 special. In season 1 I almost knew the whole routine we saw them practice it so much. We were there for all of the injuries and the tears and the joy when they eventually achieved it.

This season was literally watching TVCC say "fuck" repeatedly and seem really bitter. Monica heads off to dancing with the stars. And we saw so little of Navarro actually cheering that the routine at Daytona was completely foreign. It seemed like they didnt even play the actual routine music for Navarro at Daytona.

A pity they didnt leave it at season 1.

Reactions: 10

bottombanana

I haven’t enjoyed this season anywhere near as much as the first season or as much as I thought I would. The switching between teams has meant I don’t feel any connection to any of the team members (like I did Morgan, Gabi, etc in season 1). So I didn’t really root for either team, I hoped Navarro would win simply because of S1. I found TVCC unlikeable generally, potentially bitchy even - so focussed on Navarro but not themselves idk. All in all, I don’t think I could tell you any of the new members names on either team, apart from Maddy

Reactions: 10

eggfriedrice

VIP Member
Hey everyone, hope you’re all okay!
Just came to say - have u guys seen all of ladarius tiktoks from the last few hours!!!!!! 💀💀💀💀
---

Hey everyone, hope you’re all okay!
Just came to say - have u guys seen all of ladarius tiktoks from the last few hours!!!!!! 💀💀💀💀
ETA: he’s came with all the tea and receipts!! Also said Gabi has slept with him in every relationship she’s been in including his current one & has proof of them 🫣

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

Just having a nose

Chatty Member
As someone with zero cheer experience other than watching series 1 I enjoyed this series a lot but of course not as much as season 1. I think it would be nearly impossible to create a series even similar to that of the first one simply because of the popularity and traction it gained! It really highlights what happens when fame and money get involved. La’Darius acted out the entire series because it’s clear how much he loves Monica and just wants her adoration constantly. Whilst I like him I do feel as though he could be draining especially for someone like Monica who not only is a mother to her own children but is a mother figure to so many of her cheer team, to focus solely on him would be unfair. He also desperately wanted her to chose him as a coach rather than Kailee despite the fact he was in the team, so couldn’t also be a coach. I found TVCC soooo unlikeable, particularly the coach Vontae and the new boys however that may just be clever editing. Although it’s clear to me that those kids are extremely talented especially Angel Rice, wow I could watch her tumble for hours on end! I wasn’t happy about the end result not at allllllll but like I said I’ve no experience with cheer so who am I to judge (literally!) I’m praying for a season 3! As far as I know Monica is still there at Navarro and Daytona is in April so here’s hoping!

BonBon27

VIP Member
I thought it was really weird how they were gearing up for competition, it got cancelled and then loads of people disappeared and that was it. I mean I get it, I know it’s Covid and all, but they could have interviewed Morgan and Lexie etc. They were a huge part of it and then they just vanished. And the assistant coach guy wasn’t even mentioned was he? He just vanished and was replaced by Peppers and no one even said where he went?!?
Bit disappointed in series 2 - I know nothing about cheer in general but I loved the first series and was so invested by the Daytona episode! This time is was padded out to make it a longer series, everyone changed suddenly, the Jerry thing was well handled I thought but obviously awful. Just weird really. I like the rivalry stuff because it would just be the same series on repeat if they only followed Navarro, but the TVCC people weren’t as likeable!

Razzmatazz

Chatty Member
Gabi's parents are something else... I dont know if anyone on here watched "Cheerleaders" on youtube but it documented a lot of Gabi's earlier days in Cheer. Her Mother has definitely gotten worse. She seemed a little kooky in the youtube series but now she has transformed into a 100% momager that just seems to see her daughter (who seems genuinely talented, sweet and hardworking) as a complete cash cow.

I know Gabi has responded to all of the negative tweets etc. saying her family are super supportive but that does not come across at all...
I found her Dad worse, the way he spoke to all the girls in his family was awful. When she was trying to do school work and they were going on at her about making a YouTube Ad video and posting pictures in Instagram to advertise the sisters bikini business which they only started to exploit Gabi in the first place.

It was hard watching the pressure get to her and how it effected her cheerleading because her head was all over the place.

AimlessShameless

VIP Member
Felt like S2 was about 5 episodes too long, far too strung out.

Felt that they handled the Jerry episode well and felt so much for the twins and their mum, and glad they came forward and addressed it, no matter how hard it was. Hopefully it stops further abuse in the system.

Couldn't stand TVCC at all apart from the coach with the beard, although do recognise it was probably the editing process.

It was a shame we had no real follow up on some of those that left like Morgan, Lexie or s1 Sherbs.

Fingers crossed for Monica and Navarro in Daytona 2022.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I’m on ep 8 of season 2, don’t love the attitude of Trinity College at alllllll, so focused on hating Navarro. Don’t think there’s been as much focus on the actual cheerleading this season, more about the rest of the drama. I’ve enjoyed it but preferred s1.

Just having a nose

Chatty Member
Whilst I do understand How Ladarius must have felt when Monica left and do not agree that she should have just shut him out completely I do also feel as though he can be pretty draining. Whilst Monica treats her team like her kids, they aren't her actual kids and so theoretically, she doesn't owe them anything. I'm sure during her time in LA she was continuing to contact her real family and by the sounds of it Kaillee, but was not communicating with him. It is completely unrealistic for La Darius to expect the same treatment to him as is received by her own children, it is clear he thought more of her than she thought of him I know that sounds brutal but its true. La Darius saw Monica as being in his life permanently and I think she more than likely saw him as being in her life for a brief 3/4 year period whilst he was at Navarro then just being a former student after that. I have mentioned that I have a very toxic relationship with my own parents and my abandonment issues are very prominent. I form strong attachment to parental figures which are way more one sided on my part and its really crushing to know that you care more than they do, unfortunately this is part of life and something you have to learn to deal with, and in my opinion acting out and projecting your own trauma is not the right way

• Heart

barryjones

VIP Member
I can’t decide on La’Darius - I imagine some of this is true and he did seem to cut off his chances of more ‘fame’ to say all this and quit the team. Although in doing so I guess he gained more notoriety in a different way.

But yeah I don’t think Monica had the athletes best interests at heart this season. That was glaringly obvious by the end of it.