Cervical cancer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been dreading my smear letter coming through for the past few months, panicked & booked in to get the hpv jab in December (I could have had it in school but didn’t) - though of course I know the jab won’t help if I was to already have hpv.

Of course my smear letter came through this week, bang on 6 months before my 25th birthday, I’m a proper worrier so I’m getting myself right worked up about it. I’ve booked it for Monday next week so as to just get it out of the way but I’m absolutely bricking it to be honest, especially as one of my best friends has just been referred for a loop excision so she’s getting herself worked up too. just getting it off my chest posting here haha
I second what @BettyCrocker said honestly! It’s not the most dignified of things but it is over really quickly and the nurses are brilliant and little bit of a weird sensation not painful at all.

I would say I’m now 35 so I’ve had a few smears now! I had my first child at 25 so my first smear came back abnormal mild changes after the birth of my eldest child they monitored me for changes a year later and it had cleared on its own. More than likely due to having it so close to giving birth and at the time they didn’t test for HPV then.

My current one has come back abnormal and HPV positive, I’m still waiting for results for my colposcopy biopsy but the nurse did look at my cervix is confident it’s only mild again so I may not even need treatment again 🙂. Please remember cervical smears are for prevention, they pick up cell changes which they treat to prevent abnormal cells turning cancerous. I’ve done a lot of research on Jo’s trust as driven have myself mad fearing the worst that I’ve got cancer and actually it’s very common a lot of women experience cell changes have the treatment and are completely. I just don’t think an awful lot of people talk about it. I’ve since found out my sister, best friend and my manager have all experienced abnormal cells and had LLETZ treatment. All are ok! This is why it’s sooo important to attend when we are told to go! ❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Isn’t it crazy that we don’t learn about this? Reading this thread has taught me so much, I just assumed if you went for a smear you’d be fine or have CC, not anything in between! Thank you to anyone for sharing their stories ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I second what @BettyCrocker said honestly! It’s not the most dignified of things but it is over really quickly and the nurses are brilliant and little bit of a weird sensation not painful at all.

I would say I’m now 35 so I’ve had a few smears now! I had my first child at 25 so my first smear came back abnormal mild changes after the birth of my eldest child they monitored me for changes a year later and it had cleared on its own. More than likely due to having it so close to giving birth and at the time they didn’t test for HPV then.

My current one has come back abnormal and HPV positive, I’m still waiting for results for my colposcopy biopsy but the nurse did look at my cervix is confident it’s only mild again so I may not even need treatment again 🙂. Please remember cervical smears are for prevention, they pick up cell changes which they treat to prevent abnormal cells turning cancerous. I’ve done a lot of research on Jo’s trust as driven have myself mad fearing the worst that I’ve got cancer and actually it’s very common a lot of women experience cell changes have the treatment and are completely. I just don’t think an awful lot of people talk about it. I’ve since found out my sister, best friend and my manager have all experienced abnormal cells and had LLETZ treatment. All are ok! This is why it’s sooo important to attend when we are told to go! ❤❤
aw thank you for coming back! I’ve just had a read up on Jo’s trust so I know what to expect a bit more now. I think it’s just fear of the unknown, I’m sure by Monday afternoon I’ll be like why was I so stressed over this 😂

like you say it’s surprisingly common, people just don’t talk about it as openly as they probably should! Hopefully you get your results soon and they’re all good!xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
aw thank you for coming back! I’ve just had a read up on Jo’s trust so I know what to expect a bit more now. I think it’s just fear of the unknown, I’m sure by Monday afternoon I’ll be like why was I so stressed over this 😂

like you say it’s surprisingly common, people just don’t talk about it as openly as they probably should! Hopefully you get your results soon and they’re all good!xx
Honestly you will be in and out in a few minutes and you’ll be wondering why you were even worried about it!!! You’ll be absolutely fine xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi everyone - considering it to be some twist of fate that this thread appeared on my homepage. Have noticed a few menstrual irregularities since December. January period was 8 days late, February period had heavy clotting and I then began bleeding again at the weekend two weeks into my cycle. Visited doctor after the bleeding began and she gave me tablets to stop the bleeding so I could have my smear 2 days later. Got my smear today (she said there was still some bleeding evident so hoping that it's a usable sample) and should expect results within 6 weeks. It's at the back of my mind each day so I'm hoping the wait won't be too long!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi guys, I had my first smear last spring 2020 when i turned 25 and was horrified to be called to the colposcopist due to them finding cell changes. The colposcopist was extremely reassuring and explained that my cell changes were only slightly abnormal and weren't even noticeable enough to fit into CIN1 category but they still wanted to look at them nonetheless. Had a biopsy which came back normal, then had my check up smear in January 2021 and all fine, though I had a letter saying I still had high risk HPV and they would see me in three years for a smear (absolutely not I will be going back in 12 months time!!)

Anyway, for the past 6 weeks at least i've been experiencing light bleeding after sex with my boyfriend. Its not everytime but most times, and is usually a light pink discharge when I wipe on the loo after sex. This is in the absence of any pain or friction when we have sex so I'm not sure its down to "tearing". I asked the colposcopist when I went for my smear what this could be and she said its because I had a cervical ectopy and even showed me this on the screen (there's nothing quite like looking at your own cervix on a massive screen) where cells from inside the cervix had come outwards, and these are getting knocked when having sex and causing me to bleed lightly. She said it was nothing to worry about, perfectly normal in someone my age and taking the contraceptive pill (which I do).

So that gave me peace of mind for a while but now my health anxiety is so bad I'm convincing myself I've got cervical cancer and there's something wrong with me. I've emailed the GP asking for an appointment because I can't deal with the dread and anxiety, even though they will probably think I'm being a nuiscance.

I've just turned 26, I hardly drink or smoke, I don't eat meat and am generally in good health but it worries me that I have been taking hormonal contraceptives for the last 8 years and I know this comes with an increased risk of cancers and blood clots.

Should I be worried about this? Is bleeding after sex common, normal??

Hi guys, I had my first smear last spring 2020 when i turned 25 and was horrified to be called to the colposcopist due to them finding cell changes. The colposcopist was extremely reassuring and explained that my cell changes were only slightly abnormal and weren't even noticeable enough to fit into CIN1 category but they still wanted to look at them nonetheless. Had a biopsy which came back normal, then had my check up smear in January 2021 and all fine, though I had a letter saying I still had high risk HPV and they would see me in three years for a smear (absolutely not I will be going back in 12 months time!!)

Anyway, for the past 6 weeks at least i've been experiencing light bleeding after sex with my boyfriend. Its not everytime but most times, and is usually a light pink discharge when I wipe on the loo after sex. This is in the absence of any pain or friction when we have sex so I'm not sure its down to "tearing". I asked the colposcopist when I went for my smear what this could be and she said its because I had a cervical ectopy and even showed me this on the screen (there's nothing quite like looking at your own cervix on a massive screen) where cells from inside the cervix had come outwards, and these are getting knocked when having sex and causing me to bleed lightly. She said it was nothing to worry about, perfectly normal in someone my age and taking the contraceptive pill (which I do).

So that gave me peace of mind for a while but now my health anxiety is so bad I'm convincing myself I've got cervical cancer and there's something wrong with me. I've emailed the GP asking for an appointment because I can't deal with the dread and anxiety, even though they will probably think I'm being a nuiscance.

I've just turned 26, I hardly drink or smoke, I don't eat meat and am generally in good health but it worries me that I have been taking hormonal contraceptives for the last 8 years and I know this comes with an increased risk of cancers and blood clots.

Should I be worried about this? Is bleeding after sex common, normal??
Bless you! You’re not alone ❤ When I had my colposcopy and biopsy, they told me they saw cervical erosion alongside abnormal cells (she thinks CIN1 - just waiting on biopsy result) But I’ve literally googled myself silly convinced myself it was something more sinister even though she wasn’t concerned, It’s easily done. I’m sure if they were concerned they would have referred you for further tests or treatment but honestly if it puts your mind at rest speak to your GP. They can look to reassure you. If your still having bleeding during sex then maybe see if they can freeze it for you as this is what they said during my colposcopy but I’ve got to wait to heal after my biopsies before I can have it done xx

I know how worrying abnormal bleeding can be.
For the last few months I've been having different procedures to find out why I've bled every single day for the last 18 months. Initially had a scan, then a colposcopy and biopsy which showed I had cervical ectropion, was treated with cold coagulation which didn't work. I had a hysteroscopy and a biopsy this week, they removed my copper coil and inserted the mirena, I've not bled now for 3 days so I'm now under the impression my bleeding was caused by the copper coil. The consultant said she thinks I may have been having a reaction to the copper. We have so much going on down there that it becomes really worrying. Wishing everyone who has any abnormal bleeding all the best. We all panic straight away about cancer but there really can be such a simple explanation for symptoms in some cases.

• Heart
We all panic straight away about cancer but there really can be such a simple explanation for symptoms in some cases.
Thanks for your post @Welsh1. Helped to put my mind at ease. I think it's the waiting for results that's the worst. I hope you've gotten to the bottom of your problem now.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks for your post @Welsh1. Helped to put my mind at ease. I think it's the waiting for results that's the worst. I hope you've gotten to the bottom of your problem now.
That's definitely the worst bit. I'm waiting 6 weeks for a biopsy result at the moment and I'm such a worrier anyway. I'm praying that the reason for bleeding was the copper coil, as I said, I didn't go one day without bleeding for 18 months and I'm now 2 days blood free since having it removed so it's a good sign. All the best and hope everything is fine for you.

• Heart
That's definitely the worst bit. I'm waiting 6 weeks for a biopsy result at the moment and I'm such a worrier anyway. I'm praying that the reason for bleeding was the copper coil, as I said, I didn't go one day without bleeding for 18 months and I'm now 2 days blood free since having it removed so it's a good sign. All the best and hope everything is fine for you.
I know how you feel! The waiting is driving me mad everytime the postman appears my heart starts beating a little faster. It’s only 3 weeks Monday so I know probably have a few more weeks to wait. The only thing I’m reassuring myself with is the hope that if it was anything sinister I would probably know by now. I’ve been on the Jos trust website a lot the forum there is really reassuring lots of women with similar stories and thankfully many with very positive outcomes and stories x

I know how worrying abnormal bleeding can be.
For the last few months I've been having different procedures to find out why I've bled every single day for the last 18 months. Initially had a scan, then a colposcopy and biopsy which showed I had cervical ectropion, was treated with cold coagulation which didn't work. I had a hysteroscopy and a biopsy this week, they removed my copper coil and inserted the mirena, I've not bled now for 3 days so I'm now under the impression my bleeding was caused by the copper coil. The consultant said she thinks I may have been having a reaction to the copper. We have so much going on down there that it becomes really worrying. Wishing everyone who has any abnormal bleeding all the best. We all panic straight away about cancer but there really can be such a simple explanation for symptoms in some cases.
Thanks for this! I’ve been bleeding on and off for a year and a half, had an ultrasound at the beginning of the year and was told everything is fine so they’re not doing anything else for me 🤷🏻‍♀️. I have the copper coil though so I might try changing?! My blood is smelly though which worries me.

I bled everyday for three years on my contraceptive implant, within three days the bleeding stopped after having it removed! Our bodies know when they don’t like something 😅

I had all three vaccines in school and still got HPV. Discovered on my latest smear, but not my first smear weirdly.
I think they only routinely tested for HPV on NHS during a smear after 2019 I think the nurse said as I questioned this as I had abnormal cells previously a few years back but didn’t have a HPV test. There are different strains and it can remain dormant x

Thanks for this! I’ve been bleeding on and off for a year and a half, had an ultrasound at the beginning of the year and was told everything is fine so they’re not doing anything else for me 🤷🏻‍♀️. I have the copper coil though so I might try changing?! My blood is smelly though which worries me.
I would try and change. My blood was also smelly. Its early days but its so nice to have a shower now and not have to insert a tampon every single time. I feel clean and refreshed again. They didn't find anything with my ultrasound, so I spoke to my GP again and she referred me for a colposcopy which is when they found the cervical ectropion, had treatment for that, continued to bleed, had my copper coil removed during a hysteroscopy and haven't bled since so in my case it was definitely that causing it.

Just been for my first smear, it was over quickly thank god but oh my god I found it so so painful! Thought I was going to have to ask her to stop at one point but luckily it was over pretty much as soon as I thought that. My friend also had hers 30 mins before me with the same nurse and she said the exact same!

I think it was mainly down to me being so nervous, she kept telling me to relax but it’s easier said than done when a stranger is sticking a speculum inside you loool. Made worse by the fact she didn’t even put any kind of cover over me so I was absolutely mortified!!

The main thing is it’s done now & it’s worth a little pain to make sure everything is okay I guess!! Xx

Just been for my first smear, it was over quickly thank god but oh my god I found it so so painful! Thought I was going to have to ask her to stop at one point but luckily it was over pretty much as soon as I thought that. My friend also had hers 30 mins before me with the same nurse and she said the exact same!

I think it was mainly down to me being so nervous, she kept telling me to relax but it’s easier said than done when a stranger is sticking a speculum inside you loool. Made worse by the fact she didn’t even put any kind of cover over me so I was absolutely mortified!!

The main thing is it’s done now & it’s worth a little pain to make sure everything is okay I guess!! Xx
Aw bless you! Good on you for doing it. Sorry it was a bit sore, next time ask them to use lube on the speculum and to go easy - some of them are a bit heavy handed!!!! They should always offer you a paper sheet to place over you but I tend to wear a long tunic top or a long skirt when I go so that I can keep myself covered up as much as I want. Well done for going though, that’s the main thing!

Thank you! I hope so too. Question: if you had a HPV vaccine in school does that mean you won’t get it?
No I had my hpv vaccines in school and I’m currently awaiting biopsy results as I was hpv positive and abnormal cells, I did think...but I had the jabs!?!

No I had my hpv vaccines in school and I’m currently awaiting biopsy results as I was hpv positive and abnormal cells, I did think...but I had the jabs!?!
The HPV vaccine only works on certain variants of the virus. There are still lots of other types of HPV that the vaccine doesn’t work for and it changes all the time so having the HPV vaccine doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get HPV, it just makes it more unlikely. That’s why everyone still needs to have regular smear tests - regardless of wether they have had an HPV or not.