Cervical cancer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just to say, I encourage everyone to get their smears. Don't think because the last one was fine, you'll be OK. After 3 normal smears my 4th one came back with high grade CIN 3 abnormal cells. They were bordering on cancerous after removal and biopsy. In the space of 3 years that had developed and I had no signs whatsoever. Thankfully they got it all with a LLETZ procedure and the follow up smear was normal. All of this during Covid. From abnormal results to LLETZ was less than a week which was amazing.

Nothing is worth losing your life over!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Promised I would update. Got my results today as CIN3. I have my LLETZ booked for end of next week. So that’s a relief! Am a little apprehensive about the appointment but that’s only because I have fear of pain I suppose like we all do 🤣 but happy it’s going to be treated and as previous poster has said will all be fine so relieved can relax now x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Promised I would update. Got my results today as CIN3. I have my LLETZ booked for end of next week. So that’s a relief! Am a little apprehensive about the appointment but that’s only because I have fear of pain I suppose like we all do 🤣 but happy it’s going to be treated and as previous poster has said will all be fine so relieved can relax now x
You’ll be fine. It’s not sore particularly, they will numb you up so you won’t feel anything anyway 👍👍👍

Reactions: 1
You’ll be fine, just don’t watch it on the screen! 😬 I found the first colposcopy worse than my LLETZ, probably because I knew what to expect. It doesn’t take long and you don’t feel anything really, try not to think about what they’re doing down there. I tried to focus on talking to the nurse who was next to me, and just kept my eyes closed the whole time!Good luck x

You’ll be fine, just don’t watch it on the screen! 😬 I found the first colposcopy worse than my LLETZ, probably because I knew what to expect. It doesn’t take long and you don’t feel anything really, try not to think about what they’re doing down there. I tried to focus on talking to the nurse who was next to me, and just kept my eyes closed the whole time!Good luck x
Thank you for taking the time to post! That is reassuring as I built the first colposcopy and the biopsies up in my head to be really painful, I think the fact they call it a punch biopsy and the word punch shouldn’t used anywhere near private parts 🤣 but actually I didn’t feel it whilst she did them only after she stopped painful period cramps which I’m used to. So thank you again for the warning I don’t fancy watching a tv screen with my own insides on 🤣🤣 xx

I had my LLETZ treatment today under general anesthetic, I just want to let anyone know who might have one coming up and may have stumbled on this thread that it really is fine, I know I was asleep but I'm not in any discomfort now. I got myself into a real panic. This thread made me feel so much more positive than other things I'd see online. Fingers crossed my results arrive quickly and are clear. Xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've got my smear test tomorrow after months of trying to schedule an appointment (my doctors surgery stopped doing them due to lockdown) and I'm about 9 months overdue as a result. This will be my second smear. My last one was fine, no issues at all.

I'm trying my best not to worry but I'm very nervous given I'm quite overdue. I had vaginismus during my early-mid 20s, thankfully I don't experience it anymore but I feel like this is hanging over me and one of the reasons I'm reluctant to go. So those two things combined, I'm a ball of nerves. Hopefully the nurse will be understanding tomorrow 😬

• Heart
I've got my smear test tomorrow after months of trying to schedule an appointment (my doctors surgery stopped doing them due to lockdown) and I'm about 9 months overdue as a result. This will be my second smear. My last one was fine, no issues at all.

I'm trying my best not to worry but I'm very nervous given I'm quite overdue. I had vaginismus during my early-mid 20s, thankfully I don't experience it anymore but I feel like this is hanging over me and one of the reasons I'm reluctant to go. So those two things combined, I'm a ball of nerves. Hopefully the nurse will be understanding tomorrow 😬
You will be fine today, I hope it goes well. Do something nice afterwards, grab a nice cake on the way home or something 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you! I hope so too. Question: if you had a HPV vaccine in school does that mean you won’t get it?
I didn’t get the Hpv vaccine! My parents stopped me from having it. Really bums me out when I think of it!! Wish I could’ve had it. I’m sexually active right now, but wondering can I still have the vaccine at 26?

I didn’t get the Hpv vaccine! My parents stopped me from having it. Really bums me out when I think of it!! Wish I could’ve had it. I’m sexually active right now, but wondering can I still have the vaccine at 26?
If you are already sexually active it’s probably not going to benefit you now to have the vaccine. Just go for your smear tests when invited and see your GP if you feel anything is not normal or if you have any symptoms of anything being wrong.

You will be completely fine!!!!! Do it, forget about it and then get on with your day 👍😊

• Heart
You will be fine today, I hope it goes well. Do something nice afterwards, grab a nice cake on the way home or something 😊
You will be completely fine!!!!! Do it, forget about it and then get on with your day 👍😊
You're totally right, feeling fine this morning so think last night was just nerves. Too right I'll be getting a cake and coffee afterwards! Thanks both :)

• Heart
I have my first smear tomorrow. I’m kinda nervous but kinda not? I had a vaginal exam years ago and the doctor snapped the speculum inside me, thankfully we all found it funny 😂 Not sure if I’m anxious for the procedure or the results!

Reactions: 2
I have my first smear tomorrow. I’m kinda nervous but kinda not? I had a vaginal exam years ago and the doctor snapped the speculum inside me, thankfully we all found it funny 😂 Not sure if I’m anxious for the procedure or the results!
Jesus Christ you must have a pelvic floor of steel 😂

• Haha
Jesus Christ you must have a pelvic floor of steel 😂
The look on his face was absolutely priceless, the poor nurse/chaperone didn’t know what to do 😂 I was only 19 and it was my first exam and honestly it broke the ice pretty well! Makes me wince when I think about it now hahah

Reactions: 2
The look on his face was absolutely priceless, the poor nurse/chaperone didn’t know what to do 😂 I was only 19 and it was my first exam and honestly it broke the ice pretty well! Makes me wince when I think about it now hahah
I bet you’ll never be nervous for a smear again after that 😅

• Haha
Had my smear yesterday and it was fine! I was a little upset beforehand (vaginismus worry more than anything) but pulled myself together. The nurse was lovely and I felt like I was in safe hands. The actual process is over so quickly - you can definitely feel something going on but it didn't hurt for me. I had some cramping last night but that was to be expected.

The results you get have changed since I had my last smear - they now test for HPV itself plus changes to your cells. My test results last time just said whether or not the cells were normal or abnormal. Anyway, now we wait and see but fingers crossed. I feel much better for going after it was delayed for months due to lockdown.

• Heart
Had my smear yesterday and it was fine! I was a little upset beforehand (vaginismus worry more than anything) but pulled myself together. The nurse was lovely and I felt like I was in safe hands. The actual process is over so quickly - you can definitely feel something going on but it didn't hurt for me. I had some cramping last night but that was to be expected.

The results you get have changed since I had my last smear - they now test for HPV itself plus changes to your cells. My test results last time just said whether or not the cells were normal or abnormal. Anyway, now we wait and see but fingers crossed. I feel much better for going after it was delayed for months due to lockdown.
I had a smear last week and was told since March last year they no longer check your cells at all unless you test positive for HPV! I think it’s ridiculous plus if everything comes back fine my next smear will be in 5 years. 😕

I had a smear last week and was told since March last year they no longer check your cells at all unless you test positive for HPV! I think it’s ridiculous plus if everything comes back fine my next smear will be in 5 years. 😕
Yes you're right actually, I just re-read the leaflet - if no HPV is found then that's it. If HPV is found, then the cells will be checked. It says screening for HPV first is the most accurate way of finding out if you're more likely to develop cervical cancer but it's definitely a worry. It'll be every 5 years for me too as I'm in Scotland, the age for your first test was changed from 20 to 25 a few years ago too!

Got myne booked for next week, dreading the 30 min walk up to the docs more then the test tbh 🤣

How quickly did those of you in Scotland get your smear results? My smear was almost a month ago and still nothing through the door yet...