Cervical cancer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went to the GP because I kept getting spotting and bleeding after sex. I wasn't old enough for a smear at the time. She took a look down below and saw something on my cervix and put me on the 2 week wait cancer pathway to my local hospital. I was seen within 5 days, they took a bioposy of my cervix and one of my womb. Turns out I have something called "cervial erosion". They decided not to offer me any treatment as I wasn't old enough for a smear, but I have regular check ups. I'm only now old enough to have a smear but due to what I've already been through I already have been told I'll have to have them more frequently than most.

Please, I urge anybody, whether you have symptoms or not to get your smears when you're invited to. The smear is nothing compared to the treatment you would have to have if you left it too long!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm so glad this thread has been created and good to hear women are getting there smears! I have had HPV and abnormal smears (cin 1 and then cin 3) for the last 2 years. I'm young and have no children and was really frightened when this kicked off so would be happy to talk to anyone if they are feeling frightened or want to talk

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I believe it means you should have immunity to the most likely strains for cervical HPV. But there are hundred of strains, some which cause verrucas/warts etc. So it doesn’t protect against all strains, but the most common ones knows to cause cervical cancer
I had the vaccine at school but I still got hpv. I had a smear the after after and it was gone

Back in 2016, I had my smear and it showed up HPV, I was monitored and unfortunately it ended up as CIN 3 or so they thought... in 2017 they decided it was best to get rid of it so I had a colposcopy under general anaesthetic as I was so scared and quite a lot of my cervix had to be removed. When the results came through it actually turned out I had cancerous cells and was extremely lucky they removed them when I did, I was completely shocked. I saw the doctor who did the colposcopy and had been monitoring throughout after I got the results and he asked me how old I was and if I had a boyfriend...I was 27 at the time and in a fairly new relationship. He then proceeded to say “well put it like this if you were my daughter I would be telling you to have children now”. It put the fear of God into me! I have always wanted to have children and am now with someone I want children with but it terrifies me that I might struggle to conceive and carry a baby because of my weak cervix and I can never forget what he said.
Ladies go and get your smear tests!!

Back in 2016, I had my smear and it showed up HPV, I was monitored and unfortunately it ended up as CIN 3 or so they thought... in 2017 they decided it was best to get rid of it so I had a colposcopy under general anaesthetic as I was so scared and quite a lot of my cervix had to be removed. When the results came through it actually turned out I had cancerous cells and was extremely lucky they removed them when I did, I was completely shocked. I saw the doctor who did the colposcopy and had been monitoring throughout after I got the results and he asked me how old I was and if I had a boyfriend...I was 27 at the time and in a fairly new relationship. He then proceeded to say “well put it like this if you were my daughter I would be telling you to have children now”. It put the fear of God into me! I have always wanted to have children and am now with someone I want children with but it terrifies me that I might struggle to conceive and carry a baby because of my weak cervix and I can never forget what he said.
Ladies go and get your smear tests!!
That sounds horrible. I had LLETZ a few years ago and thankfully it just came back as CIN1 not even CIN3 that the biopsy had shown.
Bit presumptuous of that doctor to basically assume you want kids just because you’re a woman. Like oh I’ll just pop one out now shall I because it’s now or never 🤦‍♀️ doesn’t quite work like that does it!

Its very hard to know what to do. Im 30 and no kids and have had HPV and abnormal smears cin 1 for last two years but afraid to get pregnant incase my cin increases but also afraid I'll have to get lletz at some stage. I've already had cold coagulation which has bound to have weakened my cervix

Reactions: 1
I had lletz a few years ago and ended up getting infected long story short I was bleeding massive clots all over the place it was hurrendous and I ended up having to have an op to put stitches in under general anaesthetic. Warned may have a weak cervix and could cause difficulties when pregnant, I had no children at the time. A year later after a clear smear I got pregnant and had smooth pregnancy and good birth, and two years later had another one. Still can’t believe it happened it was hurrendous and I was so worried for the future of fertility but thankfully it was fine x

Reactions: 2
I had a chat with my GP about the bleeding, she wasnt worried and said see if it becomes a trend. Im due a smear in 2 months anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve been having some watery pink bleeding in between cycles. Had a few issues with my doctors. Called them last week to ask about a smear as couldn’t remember my last one, they told me I wasn’t due one yet then told me the date of my last one was two years ago. Explained it couldn’t have been as the month they stated I was actually pregnant. Asked them to look into it. Turns out I have someone else’s details on my medical file and my last smear was actually 7 years ago. They booked me in next day for it thankfully they were really good about getting me in. They said results are taking 6 weeks at the moment.
So had my smear test a few weeks ago... thought I’d update you as had my letter back on Friday. My results came back as HPV positive and high grade (severe) dyskariosis. Just waiting on my colposcopy appointment to come through. I know I’ve got to be positive and this is all prevention and I’m sure like lots of women I will be absolutely fine but I keep crying the waiting is driving me mad as is googling. The fact it’s been 7 years since my last smear.
Please please ladies go to your appointments when your invited ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I've had 2 smears since having my son 2 years ago, first one showed changes, asked me back 6 months later - March this year, so didn't get to go until a few weeks ago. Waiting on the results and a little nervous. I didn't get the vaccine as left school before it was introduced, I have had regular smears since I was 19 though, before the increased the age to 25. The nurse at my latest appt agreed that it's too old and left people at risk or assuming they're too young for symptoms.
If anyone at any age has symptoms like bleeding after sex or bleeding between periods. Smears are screening tests designed to pick up problems in people without symptoms, they’re not intended for people with symptoms. People with symptoms need assessing but not with a cervical screening smear. If you do smears too young you end up with lots of “intermediate” results which need repeating and can cause unnecessary stress, worry and procedures

So had my smear test a few weeks ago... thought I’d update you as had my letter back on Friday. My results came back as HPV positive and high grade (severe) dyskariosis. Just waiting on my colposcopy appointment to come through. I know I’ve got to be positive and this is all prevention and I’m sure like lots of women I will be absolutely fine but I keep crying the waiting is driving me mad as is googling. The fact it’s been 7 years since my last smear.
Try not to worry to much- I know thats easier said then done but mine came back the same when I had my smear but when they took the colposcopy it was low grade changes. Smears are not diagnostic whereas the biopsy is so it will provide a more accurate reading. Praying it will bring some slight relief for you

I am in the exact same position as you. Waiting on my colposcopy appointment, I think my letter said 6 weeks. My previous smear showed the dyskariosus , was referred for a 6 month review which ended up being a year because of covid. My last smear was about 5 years ago as I was due one when I was pregnant but delayed until I'd had my son obviously. You're not alone in your wait! Hopefully we both get answers soon.

• Heart
Just an update our hospital has had a lot of delays. Final got a cancellation appointment for my colposcopy tomorrow! Surprisingly feel quite calm and relieved to finally get it over with. Will let you know how I get on x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Are they still doing smear tests atm? I need to book one in as I had my first one last year, and they found HPV but nothing abnormal. I was a bit upset as I thought having the injections meant you wouldn't get HPV but here we are. I've been with my bf for 3 years now so I'm hoping it's gone this time around!

Are they still doing smear tests atm? I need to book one in as I had my first one last year, and they found HPV but nothing abnormal. I was a bit upset as I thought having the injections meant you wouldn't get HPV but here we are. I've been with my bf for 3 years now so I'm hoping it's gone this time around!
Yes they are! Xxx

I really hope I don’t put any off going saying this but my last smear I had a terrible experience the nurse doing it called me a diva because I couldn’t relax and asked how I managed to have sex when I’m making a drama over the test. I’ve been sexually assaulted so any sort of interaction with a stranger seems to trigger my body to tense up. But I’ve started to bleed between my periods and I get pain after having sex with my husband so I know I need to get checked out but I’m terrified to go back, I went to make an appointment and I had a panic attack. Is there anyone who’s had a similar experience and is there anything I can do to help myself relax? Again I really don’t want to put anyone off going it’s so important to go and I feel stupid making such a fuss.

• Heart
  • Wow
I really hope I don’t put any off going saying this but my last smear I had a terrible experience the nurse doing it called me a diva because I couldn’t relax and asked how I managed to have sex when I’m making a drama over the test. I’ve been sexually assaulted so any sort of interaction with a stranger seems to trigger my body to tense up. But I’ve started to bleed between my periods and I get pain after having sex with my husband so I know I need to get checked out but I’m terrified to go back, I went to make an appointment and I had a panic attack. Is there anyone who’s had a similar experience and is there anything I can do to help myself relax? Again I really don’t want to put anyone off going it’s so important to go and I feel stupid making such a fuss.
Omg I’m so sorry. Did you report her? If not I think you should. Her job, I repeat HER JOB was to look after and reassure you and anything less than that is despicable. Definitely get it checked out, at the end of the day this is your life/health and that’s what’s important. Also remember it’s not going to be the same woman, you could even mention you struggle with panic attacks and they will be really reassuring and help you with that. You are allowed to play music when having it done I believe, you could listen to your favourite song? And you won’t even be half way through the song and it’s over! It’s that quick!

Im so sorry you went through that. Her behaviour was disgusting.

When you do go for it, explain that you have been through sexual assault. They should then go at your pace and be as gentle as they can. And show some compassion! Some music or some meditation may help during it as well x

Omg I’m so sorry. Did you report her? If not I think you should. Her job, I repeat HER JOB was to look after and reassure you and anything less than that is despicable. Definitely get it checked out, at the end of the day this is your life/health and that’s what’s important. Also remember it’s not going to be the same woman, you could even mention you struggle with panic attacks and they will be really reassuring and help you with that. You are allowed to play music when having it done I believe, you could listen to your favourite song? And you won’t even be half way through the song and it’s over! It’s that quick!
Im so sorry you went through that. Her behaviour was disgusting.

When you do go for it, explain that you have been through sexual assault. They should then go at your pace and be as gentle as they can. And show some compassion! Some music or some meditation may help during it as well x
Thank you both for your advice and kindness x