Cervical cancer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve created this thread as I haven’t seen one yet and worry there are many women worrying over this and not saying anything!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ive had some more bleeding in between periods, and was actually thinking today, when was my last smear test 🤔

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
I’ve been having some watery pink bleeding in between cycles. Had a few issues with my doctors. Called them last week to ask about a smear as couldn’t remember my last one, they told me I wasn’t due one yet then told me the date of my last one was two years ago. Explained it couldn’t have been as the month they stated I was actually pregnant. Asked them to look into it. Turns out I have someone else’s details on my medical file and my last smear was actually 7 years ago. They booked me in next day for it thankfully they were really good about getting me in. They said results are taking 6 weeks at the moment.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I worry about this because my mother had an early scare just a couple of years after giving birth to me in the early 1990s.

Am only 27 but I make sure I have regular smear tests, as well as checking myself for any telltale signs. I don't have kids and have never been pregnant.

• Heart
Ive had some more bleeding in between periods, and was actually thinking today, when was my last smear test 🤔
I would definitely check with your GP when your last one was and even if it’s not due chat to your doctor about mid cycle bleeding just to put your mind at rest x

I would definitely check with your GP when your last one was and even if it’s not due chat to your doctor about mid cycle bleeding just to put your mind at rest x
Oh I'll definitely call them tomorrow x I had bleeding after sex in May, and another time. And a while back, between periods. Today its watery pink like yours. Strange!

Oh I'll definitely call them tomorrow x I had bleeding after sex in May, and another time. And a while back, between periods. Today its watery pink like yours. Strange!
The nurse was lovely did it quickly and painlessly. She said there can be a number of reasons for mid cycle bleeding but staying on top of smears we can rule that out. She also did a swab for infections at same time which get the results for that in a weeks time. Then will pop back to GP once smear test results come back hopefully nothing to worry about and it’s just our bodies playing tricks 🙏🏽

• Heart
Reactions: 1
They also now check for HPV if you have the virus you get smears more frequently. I was given a leaflet at my last smear and to be honest knew very little about the virus, apparently it should disappear within 2 years but for some people doesn’t so your risk of cervical cancer is higher. We now have the 3 different cycles of smear tests running, not sure if it’s national though

Wow so pleased there’s already comments here!
I have had the Nexplanon implant for 3 years and since having it have been bleeding ever since and it only stopped by me taking a pill. The last time I mentioned it she did a part smear test, she looked inside but didn’t swab anything and tested me for chlamydia which was all fine. On Friday I had my implant removed as I had enough and hoping the bleeding will stop and it’s nothing to worry about but I am scared 😭

I have had the Nexplanon implant for 3 years and since having it have been bleeding ever since and it only stopped by me taking a pill. The last time I mentioned it she did a part smear test, she looked inside but didn’t swab anything and tested me for chlamydia which was all fine. On Friday I had my implant removed as I had enough and hoping the bleeding will stop and it’s nothing to worry about but I am scared 😭
The implant made me bleed for months. I hated it! I think after a month or two, my cycle went back to normal. Hope its the same for you!

The implant made me bleed for months. I hated it! I think after a month or two, my cycle went back to normal. Hope its the same for you!
Thank you! I hope so too. Question: if you had a HPV vaccine in school does that mean you won’t get it?

Thank you! I hope so too. Question: if you had a HPV vaccine in school does that mean you won’t get it?
I believe it means you should have immunity to the most likely strains for cervical HPV. But there are hundred of strains, some which cause verrucas/warts etc. So it doesn’t protect against all strains, but the most common ones knows to cause cervical cancer

I've had 2 smears since having my son 2 years ago, first one showed changes, asked me back 6 months later - March this year, so didn't get to go until a few weeks ago. Waiting on the results and a little nervous. I didn't get the vaccine as left school before it was introduced, I have had regular smears since I was 19 though, before the increased the age to 25. The nurse at my latest appt agreed that it's too old and left people at risk or assuming they're too young for symptoms.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
A 22/23 year old woman died in 2013 from it because the doctors blamed it on her pill and made her switch it multiple times. Her name is Emma Swain you should check out her story. Smears should be available at 21 imo.

Reactions: 5
A 22/23 year old woman died in 2013 from it because the doctors blamed it on her pill and made her switch it multiple times. Her name is Emma Swain you should check out her story. Smears should be available at 21 imo.
I agree. So sad 😢 very frustrating as smears were available from aged 20 in Scotland but they changed it to be in line with England/Wales. Would have been better to bring E/W to offering smears at 20.

I’m hideously over my smear due date. It’s been at least 5 years - I know this as it was in my old health district and we moved in 2015z I have had so many booked In 2019 but my period was all over the place and kept falling on those dates, nurses said it’s better to not be bleeding, moved appointments. Rinse repeat. I’m now on the mini pill and no longer have periods.

Thanks for this thread; I’m calling tomorrow to arrange for an appointment ASAP.

• Heart
I had exactly the same, in the end I had surgery to remove a cyst and endo scaring. I was recommended to go on the hormone free coil as they think the hormones caused all the issues. Haven’t had any bleeding (outside of my period) since.

I agree. So sad 😢 very frustrating as smears were available from aged 20 in Scotland but they changed it to be in line with England/Wales. Would have been better to bring E/W to offering smears at 20.

I’m hideously over my smear due date. It’s been at least 5 years - I know this as it was in my old health district and we moved in 2015z I have had so many booked In 2019 but my period was all over the place and kept falling on those dates, nurses said it’s better to not be bleeding, moved appointments. Rinse repeat. I’m now on the mini pill and no longer have periods.

Thanks for this thread; I’m calling tomorrow to arrange for an appointment ASAP.
This is why I started the thread! A place to go when we feel scared and for peoples experiences and the fact you are arranging an appointment makes me so proud! ❤

• Heart
I had a bleed mixed with discharge during sex a while back. Haven't had sex since as I'm too scared to. My latest smear test came back normal after the bleed and my cervix looked fine too. I'm still scared they've missed something as smear test only checks for HPV, and will only check the cells if hpv comes back positive, which mine didn't. It came back hpv neg. My last smear was in 2017 which said my cells were completely normal.

I had a bleed mixed with discharge during sex a while back. Haven't had sex since as I'm too scared to. My latest smear test came back normal after the bleed and my cervix looked fine too. I'm still scared they've missed something as smear test only checks for HPV, and will only check the cells if hpv comes back positive, which mine didn't. It came back hpv neg. My last smear was in 2017 which said my cells were completely normal.
Definitely mention it to your GP and stress you would like it to be checked out

If you have symptoms please keep pushing your GPs. My smear test was meant to be in March but was cancelled due to lockdown/covid.

I had no symptoms at all until May time. I was on to my GP over 30 times by phone, every excuse going. Ended up going to a and e with pains and an irregular bleed. Irregular bleed only happened me once. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on 1st July.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13