Cervical cancer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How quickly did those of you in Scotland get your smear results? My smear was almost a month ago and still nothing through the door yet...
Mine came within a week but the nurse told me some were taking around 6.

How quickly did those of you in Scotland get your smear results? My smear was almost a month ago and still nothing through the door yet...
Mine was just over 2 weeks. The nurse did say it could be up to 6 weeks but it might be worth giving your practice a quick call just to check.

When I went for mine they said if you hear nothing that’s because it’s all ok but this was in England so I’m not sure if it’s different x

Things I wish they'd told me following LLETZ:

- Several days to a week later, the scab/clot will come out. You have not given birth to an ovary.
- It will smell like burnt pork scratchings. You may never be able to eat crackling again.
- Your period may change from what it was before. How delightful.
- The first time you have sex afterwards you will pull a face of anticipation that it's going to hurt. This may look a lot like your poop face.
- People will ask you how your vagina is for several months after, the embarrassment does wear off in time. I find a 'good thanks, how's yours?' works quite well.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Received a letter a few weeks ago - forgot to book and received a reminder today....booked in for 8am on Monday.

It will be my second one and I am 30!

My tip?

Wear socks - gives comfort and a treat for afterwards!

<3

Things I wish they'd told me following LLETZ:

- Several days to a week later, the scab/clot will come out. You have not given birth to an ovary.
- It will smell like burnt pork scratchings. You may never be able to eat crackling again.
- Your period may change from what it was before. How delightful.
- The first time you have sex afterwards you will pull a face of anticipation that it's going to hurt. This may look a lot like your poop face.
- People will ask you how your vagina is for several months after, the embarrassment does wear off in time. I find a 'good thanks, how's yours?' works quite well.
Aaargh the smell I will never forget what I used to call the “lletzy smell”... like burning flesh...not that I’d ever smelt burning flesh 🤢. I also had this constant clear liquid coming out of me for days and I thought I’d pissed myself but I hadn’t. TMI but seriously what the hell was that 😐

I had exactly the same, in the end I had surgery to remove a cyst and endo scaring. I was recommended to go on the hormone free coil as they think the hormones caused all the issues. Haven’t had any bleeding (outside of my period) since.
Hey, did you get any side effects on the hormone free coil?

Hi ladies just looking a bit of advice...
I have tried googling before and not got much of an answer.
Does anyone know if you need a smear if you're a virgin?

Reactions: 1
Hey, did you get any side effects on the hormone free coil?
Can’t say I am, except because it’s hormone free I do get pre period acne and my mood swings are quite bad. I am contemplating going back on the hormone coil just to get rid of my periods

Got results today - HPV positive and some inflammation so have to go for colposcopy. Hoping the appointment will be soon!

Reactions: 2
Got results today - HPV positive and some inflammation so have to go for colposcopy. Hoping the appointment will be soon!
I got the exact same result at the start of the year - I had my colposcopy within a month. I was so scared about it and worked myself up but honestly it was fine - I even found the speculum part way more comfortable than the smear test. Best of luck!

Thanks frillylilly ❤. What happens after the colposcopy? Do you have to have more regular smears or are there any follow ups?

If you have had ANY kind of sexual contact with anyone you should be having smear tests. That doesn’t mean just penetrative sex - but any kind of touching/using sex toys etc

Thanks frillylilly ❤. What happens after the colposcopy? Do you have to have more regular smears or are there any follow ups?
After I had the LLETZ procedure during my colposcopy I had annual smear tests for 5 years and then as they were all normal I have gone back to having them every 3 years

So at my colposcopy they did the acid test (sounds harsh but it was okay, maybe a slight bit of tingling?) and everything came up as okay so I didn’t need any further treatments. I just have to go for a smear test in a year - I think if that comes back as okay then I’ll go back to the usual schedule, but if not then you basically just have more regular smears

at my appointment the other week she asked if I was a virgin and advised if I was, they wouldn’t go ahead with it! (Though, as someone else has mentioned - I’m pretty sure they should still do them!)

Pleaseeeee get your smears ladies! My second smear a few months ago and I’m now under going treatment for cervical cancer and it’s horrendous so please look after yourselves 🤍

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Pleaseeeee get your smears ladies! My second smear a few months ago and I’m now under going treatment for cervical cancer and it’s horrendous so please look after yourselves 🤍
I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you have a speedy recovery ❤

• Heart
I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time. Take care. x

• Heart