Cervical cancer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've always stayed up to date with my smears. Previously had HPV but it had disappeared on my next smear. I've been bleeding now since October 2019 which is also when I had my last smear. I've been to my GP 3 times since, she referred me to the hospital where I had a transvaginal ultrasound, then a colposcopy and biopsy then cold coagulation to treat cervical ectropion. Even after treatment, I'm still bleeding. I'd say 25 days out of the month, I'm bleeding. It's driving me mental now. My GP has advised me to get my copper coil removed but I can't get an appointment due to covid. I'm also reluctant to get it removed as aside from condoms, it's the only contraception I'm able to use. I'm now being referred back to gynaecology for another procedure. It's terrifying that they still can't find a reason for the constant bleeding.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I really hope I don’t put any off going saying this but my last smear I had a terrible experience the nurse doing it called me a diva because I couldn’t relax and asked how I managed to have sex when I’m making a drama over the test. I’ve been sexually assaulted so any sort of interaction with a stranger seems to trigger my body to tense up. But I’ve started to bleed between my periods and I get pain after having sex with my husband so I know I need to get checked out but I’m terrified to go back, I went to make an appointment and I had a panic attack. Is there anyone who’s had a similar experience and is there anything I can do to help myself relax? Again I really don’t want to put anyone off going it’s so important to go and I feel stupid making such a fuss.
I have no advice but I'm so sorry you've had this experience. Medical professionals should be so much more aware and empathetic than this. I'd sincerely hope that she is a rotten apple in with a good bunch, did you get her name? You could ask not to be seen by her if you're going to the same place.

Reactions: 1
I've always stayed up to date with my smears. Previously had HPV but it had disappeared on my next smear. I've been bleeding now since October 2019 which is also when I had my last smear. I've been to my GP 3 times since, she referred me to the hospital where I had a transvaginal ultrasound, then a colposcopy and biopsy then cold coagulation to treat cervical ectropion. Even after treatment, I'm still bleeding. I'd say 25 days out of the month, I'm bleeding. It's driving me mental now. My GP has advised me to get my copper coil removed but I can't get an appointment due to covid. I'm also reluctant to get it removed as aside from condoms, it's the only contraception I'm able to use. I'm now being referred back to gynaecology for another procedure. It's terrifying that they still can't find a reason for the constant bleeding.
Bless you! That’s sounds horrendous I really would push your GP again or ask for second opinion. The reason I’m having my smear checks etc as I’ve suddenly started bleeding heavily for 8-10 days at a time and it’s to the point I soak a maxi pad and tampon every half hour. I cant leave the house when I’m on so they’ve given me medication to help with bleeding but hasn’t helped much or the pain. I then have spotting from half way into my cycle up to the day of my period so around 20 days of bleeding and pain in my legs back and stomach. All they want to do is put me on contraception, I’m 34 years old with three kids I don’t want more but can’t take contraceptives because I’m high risk due to blood pressure and risk of brain aneurysms. They’ve told me to get my colposcopy results back then they may refer me for further tests. Just frustrating they don’t seem to want to get to the bottom of the cause just seem to think oh your just unlucky but I don’t understand how my cycles have suddenly changed in the last year. Before it was normal and predictable x

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Has anyone had Lletz on this and then tried to concieve? I'm 31 but have had HPV and abnormalities for 3 years now so after trying cold coagulation and it persisting it's likely I will need Lletz in May. I'm just so nervous as I haven't had a baby yet and I'm afraid i'll miss carry. I obviously need to look after my own health and I will but would just love to hear other peoples stories on this

I hope so love... I have severe health anxiety but I've never had a bleed after sex before so frightened me but it was very light. All of this driving me mad as this year is full of bad news. Fingers crossed for those waiting for the results and thinking of those undergoing treatment xx
Just jumping in to say that I've had a really similar experience. I had some bleeding after sex (a few drops of bright red blood) and was then very nervous about sex after that. Had a smear (came back HPV positive and I went for a colposcopy - all fine) and also an STI test (also all clear) and hasn't happened since (there was some very light 'stuff' but it was just after my period so assumed it was that) so I'm hoping it was also a one off?

If it does happen again then I will push back on the GP, but it has made me completely paranoid about that area and imagining all sorts of things.

When i went for my smear I told the nurse about it and she said that when she first met her husband and they were "at it like rabbits"she bled almost every time they had sex. She said that she had all sorts of tests and checks and it basically just went - her conclusion being that sometimes things can just get bashed around in there!

Also, way TMI, but it only seems to happen in one position...

Just jumping in to say that I've had a really similar experience. I had some bleeding after sex (a few drops of bright red blood) and was then very nervous about sex after that. Had a smear (came back HPV positive and I went for a colposcopy - all fine) and also an STI test (also all clear) and hasn't happened since (there was some very light 'stuff' but it was just after my period so assumed it was that) so I'm hoping it was also a one off?

If it does happen again then I will push back on the GP, but it has made me completely paranoid about that area and imagining all sorts of things.

When i went for my smear I told the nurse about it and she said that when she first met her husband and they were "at it like rabbits"she bled almost every time they had sex. She said that she had all sorts of tests and checks and it basically just went - her conclusion being that sometimes things can just get bashed around in there!

Also, way TMI, but it only seems to happen in one position...
Hi there. I have had sex since and touch wood it hasn't happened since. Was such a terrifying experience! Glad you are OK and your checks came back clear

I confided into my sister about this and she said that she's had so many bleeds after sex, she's had bleeding in between periods, she's never had a smear test in her life and she said she's been experiencing it for over 20 years and she's still here to live the tale and she's now peri menopausal in her 40s. I said how the hell did you not see the doctor or go for your smears. Problem is with her that she's so busy she just forgets about everything going on with her body whereas me, its all I ever think about. I am just glad she's OK. I still wish she'd have a smear done! Xx

Last edited:
Has anyone had Lletz on this and then tried to concieve? I'm 31 but have had HPV and abnormalities for 3 years now so after trying cold coagulation and it persisting it's likely I will need Lletz in May. I'm just so nervous as I haven't had a baby yet and I'm afraid i'll miss carry. I obviously need to look after my own health and I will but would just love to hear other peoples stories on this
Hi . Im sorry you're going through this but I just wanted to reassure you that I had LLETZ treatment in 2016 for CIN3 , it was after my first smear . I went on to have my fourth child 2 years after with no issues regarding pregnancy. they do say there is risk for miscarriage and prem labour but fortunately I carried full term . I know this isn't the case for everyone but the best thing you can do is try not to worry when you do end up pregnant . Sending love and best wishes to you. X

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yep I had lletz and went on to have 2 completely normal pregnancies and vaginal deliveries both full term - infact I was 10 days over my due date with our first baby!!!!
I was told that they would keep an eye on my cervix during pregnancy and that if required they could pop a stitch in to keep it closed but there was never any requirement for that at all.

• Heart
Yep I had lletz and went on to have 2 completely normal pregnancies and vaginal deliveries both full term - infact I was 10 days over my due date with our first baby!!!!
I was told that they would keep an eye on my cervix during pregnancy and that if required they could pop a stitch in to keep it closed but there was never any requirement for that at all.
This is so reassuring as I'm in a similar position as the poster who you responded to. Thank you for sharing, it's made me feel better as well as the OP I'm sure.

• Heart
This is so reassuring as I'm in a similar position as the poster who you responded to. Thank you for sharing, it's made me feel better as well as the OP I'm sure.
That’s ok. I was super worried about it all at the time because it all happened before we had even really thought about trying for a baby. But it was all fine, the treatment worked and I’ve had completely normal smear results since then (touch wood) and yeah 2 completely normal pregnancies and vaginal deliveries with no complications of any kind 👍

• Heart
Hi . Im sorry you're going through this but I just wanted to reassure you that I had LLETZ treatment in 2016 for CIN3 , it was after my first smear . I went on to have my fourth child 2 years after with no issues regarding pregnancy. they do say there is risk for miscarriage and prem labour but fortunately I carried full term . I know this isn't the case for everyone but the best thing you can do is try not to worry when you do end up pregnant . Sending love and best wishes to you. X
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and I feel so much better now knowing that it's not a horror story if I do have to have it. Thank you xx

Got my results today, cells normal but HPV positive 🙄
Hopefully that can go away. If you smoke try and stop. I have smoked for years only recently given them up and I'm convinced that's why I haven't been able to clear it. Also take vitamin b and foliate every day if you can. My immune system just isint strong enough to clear the hpv so I have been dosing up on vitamins.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and I feel so much better now knowing that it's not a horror story if I do have to have it. Thank you xx

Hopefully that can go away. If you smoke try and stop. I have smoked for years only recently given them up and I'm convinced that's why I haven't been able to clear it. Also take vitamin b and foliate every day if you can. My immune system just isint strong enough to clear the hpv so I have been dosing up on vitamins.
Ah i havent smoked in years! The last smear I had, they didnt test for HPV. So god knows how long ive actually had it!

Just thought I’d update! So I had my colposcopy last Monday. Honestly worked myself up for no reason. They were lovely and it was relatively painless! Had a chat with nurse before I went in for it, she explained that they would have a check of cervix and possibly take a biopsy depending what they saw. She saw what looked like a large area of erosion which she said could be to blame for my spotting. They put the liquid stuff on to highlight the bad cells, There was just a small ish area round the opening which didn’t look great. She took 3 punch biopsies which I worked myself up into thinking it would hurt like an ear piercing gun hyperventilating the works 😂 but actually I didn’t feel anything just some very painful period cramps. The only horrible thing was the fact the places she took samples from wouldn’t stop bleeding she kept asking if I was on aspirin. But I do tend to bleed excessively if I cut myself etc So had to sit there for 30 mins with her fingers up there and cotton wool wadding, waiting for it to stop bleeding casually talking about the weather. Bit awkward but she was lovely and reassuring. She didn’t offer treatment there and then as she said she wanted the results of biopsy as if only cin1 she may leave it for a year. She’s sure the erosion is probably hormonal and if need be they can cauterise it to stop it being irritated and should stop the spotting. I spotted for a few days after the colposcopy and had light cramps. And felt a bit sore but nothing unbearable. Biopsy results should be back in 4 weeks, I’m sure everything will come back fine 🙂

When chatting to her about my cycle etc she said it was unlikely related to my cervix changes and should speak to GP about being referred to gynae as coupled with my recurrent miscarriages and change to cycles and abdominal pain it should be looked into. Spoke to doctor next day and been referred and have bloods tomorrow.

The other good thing is looks like my medical file is now all correctly in place. And I actually did have a smear in 2017 so only just overdue so I’m glad I chased all this up.

I hope this helps to reassure anyone putting off/worrying about a smear or colposcopy. Xx

Reactions: 9
Hi, yes I have... had a lletz in March last year... discovered I was pregnant in June.... I’ve just given birth to a very healthy baby and had a very routine pregnancy, I was kept a very close eye on with lots of check ups and internal scans at various points to check my cervix, I’m 28, and know exactly what you mean, I was terrified I would miscarry or have a premie... baby was born at 40+3.
xx

• Heart
Hi, yes I have... had a lletz in March last year... discovered I was pregnant in June.... I’ve just given birth to a very healthy baby and had a very routine pregnancy, I was kept a very close eye on with lots of check ups and internal scans at various points to check my cervix, I’m 28, and know exactly what you mean, I was terrified I would miscarry or have a premie... baby was born at 40+3.
xx
Hi, I feel so reassured to read your message. I started trying for a baby in December (I'm 35), it's taken me a while to decide to try. I had a smear in January and have been told I have to have the LETTZ treatment and they want to do it under general anesthetic. Did they tell you to wait a while before trying to have a baby? I know I want these cells taking away asap but I feel a little disheartened that our plans have been halted, guess it would be good for COVID to calm down too. Xxx glad to hear you are safe and well 😊

I had my 1st smear 3 years ago & found abnormal cells. Had them removed though LLETZ.. all ok now. Was told I was left with some scarring & Googled myself into misery by reading that some women may have miscarriages. I’m not in a relationship & no plans on getting pregnant anytime soon. I’ve read some posts on here with similar experiences so that’s reassuring. My mum & my nana both have had abnormal cervical cells so I’m always eager to get my smears done and looking for anything abnormal. Take care to everyone who is going through any treatment xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi, I feel so reassured to read your message. I started trying for a baby in December (I'm 35), it's taken me a while to decide to try. I had a smear in January and have been told I have to have the LETTZ treatment and they want to do it under general anesthetic. Did they tell you to wait a while before trying to have a baby? I know I want these cells taking away asap but I feel a little disheartened that our plans have been halted, guess it would be good for COVID to calm down too. Xxx glad to hear you are safe and well 😊
Thankyou! I think it totally depends on the postcode lottery as to where you are in terms of care and appointments too, we are very lucky that not one of our appointments were cancelled or changed, I was in fact brought in the next day after my result of CIN3 which was almost a week into the first lockdown.
this was my question to the doctor too, and there’s no sex for at least 6 weeks for your body to heal to prevent infection, after that we were told to do what was right for us there was no reason to not try for a baby. This was the first pregnancy for us so I have nothing to compare to but we were pregnant very quickly when we started trying, the first cycle!
I haven’t been able to have my 6 month smear with being pregnant at the time, so will have one in 3 months to check that everything is clear🙏🏻
good luck I hope everything works out for you! Xx

I’ve been dreading my smear letter coming through for the past few months, panicked & booked in to get the hpv jab in December (I could have had it in school but didn’t) - though of course I know the jab won’t help if I was to already have hpv.

Of course my smear letter came through this week, bang on 6 months before my 25th birthday, I’m a proper worrier so I’m getting myself right worked up about it. I’ve booked it for Monday next week so as to just get it out of the way but I’m absolutely bricking it to be honest, especially as one of my best friends has just been referred for a loop excision so she’s getting herself worked up too. just getting it off my chest posting here haha

• Heart
I’ve been dreading my smear letter coming through for the past few months, panicked & booked in to get the hpv jab in December (I could have had it in school but didn’t) - though of course I know the jab won’t help if I was to already have hpv.

Of course my smear letter came through this week, bang on 6 months before my 25th birthday, I’m a proper worrier so I’m getting myself right worked up about it. I’ve booked it for Monday next week so as to just get it out of the way but I’m absolutely bricking it to be honest, especially as one of my best friends has just been referred for a loop excision so she’s getting herself worked up too. just getting it off my chest posting here haha
Please don’t worry about your smear. It literally takes about 30seconds to do, i promise!!!

• Heart