Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've never heard of a card paying without it pressing onto the contacless machine. My children's school stopped cash years ago, we had to top up their dinner money online which transferred onto their swipe cards.
We’ll believe me or not, doesn’t bother me but it would be a bit weird to make it up 🫣. My children’s school doesn’t have swipe cards I pay the money and the teacher sends the list to the cafeteria for who is for school dinners. Same as school trips and non uniform days etc.

Reactions: 1
I think I'm more spendy when I'm putting little bits on my card, few quid here, £10 of shopping there, cheeky Greggs now and then. On card it's like I'm not spending, even though I am.

Reactions: 7
I feel I've more control over money with my card, with being able to set limits an always being able to check how much is coming off each time as well as how much is being spent, money seems to evaporate when I have it lol, but it does seem more an more places want to push for contactless, if I go anywhere I also check what they take now as some places will say they prefer contactless an may not take cash

Jesus, who uses cash these days? I can't remember the last time I saw a note and I'm an old fart. My kids laugh at me because I pay contactless, they use apple pay with their phones.
Me and I’m in my 30s - shock horror! I have to regularly to pay the takeaway I visit on a Saturday and my barber in cash and it’s not a big deal as I simply go to an Asda and get cash back when I pay for shopping every 4/5 weeks. I also prefer to take it on nights out if I’m drinking rather than my card.
Phones are all well and good but liable to battery running out especially with the drain that is WhatsApp, as I learned a few weeks back when my phone ran out of battery and I couldn’t use it to open the hotel room door.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I use cash. Much prefer being able to feel my money as I hand it over to someone it makes me conscious of how much I’m spending where’s if I buy something on my card it feels like I haven’t spent money until I look at my bank balance!
My boys school only take cash for trips, school dinner etc, i prefer paying cash when ordering takeout so I can tip the driver, same as other services I like to tip. Anyone who refuses cash doesn’t get my service!
My card has been hacked before, I’ve also had an issue where I wanted to pay cash for shopping and the shop assistant said my payment had already gone through I looked at her like what?! And she said it was paid by visa contactless, turned out it picked it up from my handbag. Put me off it. I go to the bank once a week to lift out what I need and it helps me stay in budget with our spending.
I too have had my shopping paid for more than once via contactless, but as I don’t have one it wasn’t mine. I still don’t have one and won’t

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I too have had my shopping paid for more than once via contactless, but as I don’t have one it wasn’t mine. I still don’t have one and won’t
I had mine removed after that incident! It was a credit card I had it on, I’ve never had it on my debit card! Hoping they don’t enforce it on us all at some point!!

Reactions: 2
Me and I’m in my 30s - shock horror! I have to regularly to pay the takeaway I visit on a Saturday and my barber in cash and it’s not a big deal as I simply go to an Asda and get cash back when I pay for shopping every 4/5 weeks. I also prefer to take it on nights out if I’m drinking rather than my card.
Phones are all well and good but liable to battery running out especially with the drain that is WhatsApp, as I learned a few weeks back when my phone ran out of battery and I couldn’t use it to open the hotel room door.
Same, I always feel nervous relying on technology in case things run out of battery. There are quite a few places near me that still only take cash

• Heart
Reactions: 6
We’ll believe me or not, doesn’t bother me but it would be a bit weird to make it up 🫣. My children’s school doesn’t have swipe cards I pay the money and the teacher sends the list to the cafeteria for who is for school dinners. Same as school trips and non uniform days etc.
My children's primary school i paid cash. Secondary is swipe card. I'm probably just lazy and can't be bothered to get money out. It's too quick and easy to tap your card. I don't like shopping and would rather we out and back home.

Well nationwide texted me to tell me I was overdrawn, but I don’t have an account with them. Computer problems, guess all of their members should check their accounts and have cash to hand

My children's primary school i paid cash. Secondary is swipe card. I'm probably just lazy and can't be bothered to get money out. It's too quick and easy to tap your card. I don't like shopping and would rather we out and back home.
Yea mine aren’t at secondary school yet so maybe swipe cards might become part of our future! Or could be finger print biometrics by then who knows! 😅Yea I find the ease of being able to spend money on card/via Apple Pay etc really scary how easy it is and it makes me forget I’ve spent it! I’m probably just old fashioned in that sense but I do really feel safer with cash because i recognise how much money I’ve actually spent where’s with card or contactless etc it almost feels pretend like a game and then I feel like oh tit when I check my balance and think oh dear where did all those transactions come from 😂

Well nationwide texted me to tell me I was overdrawn, but I don’t have an account with them. Computer problems, guess all of their members should check their accounts and have cash to hand
That'll be a scam, not Nationwide

Reactions: 4
Loads of scams, just block the number. It was HSBC last month.

So hardly anyone wants a completely cashless society so that's good to know. I could cope cashless but wouldn't want to. It's worrying how many couldn't cope with being cashless according to the survey.

Reactions: 5

First the BBC now the Daily Mail as MSM I have seen bringing this topic up. There is no way someone is putting a chip in my hand to put over a chip n pin machine to pay contactless without even a bank card.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I like the convenience of contactless card however, I do worry that if internet goes down noone can pay anything or access money. Makes me worry about the future and the safety of our savings, etc.

Reactions: 5
I don't use cash and don't even carry a card, I just use Googlepay on my phone. Don't even carry a handbag these days unless we're going on a trip out and I need to carry hankies, water or whatever.