Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agree, I have left shops before that don’t accept cash
I expect shops to accept both. Shops that only take cash piss me off, they're either tax dodging (barbers) or a front for slave labour (nail bars) a legitimate business will take both, why would any business refuse a perfectly reasonable way of paying.

Reactions: 9
I expect shops to accept both. Shops that only take cash piss me off, they're either tax dodging (barbers) or a front for slave labour (nail bars) a legitimate business will take both, why would any business refuse a perfectly reasonable way of paying.
I agree it does come across a bit dodgy when shops only take cash. My nail lady has a card machine but the signal is always temperamental with it because of the location of shop it’s hard to even get phone signal in that actual shopping centre. She accepts PayPal too but I always just pay cash for things like that anyway. The opticians next door to her only accept card payment and can never get a signal they’re forever having to take the machine outside of the shop and hold it in the air to try and get one it’s insanity that they don’t offer alternative payment methods when it’s so disruptive to their business!

Reactions: 2
Well I can think of two food chains that only take card, no doubt there are many more.

Well I can think of two food chains that only take card, no doubt there are many more.
I’ve noticed this a lot with chains. I avoid them now. I don’t like paying for a cuppa with a card I’d rather use my loose change. A lot of the chains used covid as an excuse to go contactless but never reverted back.

Reactions: 3
At work the in-house cafe outlet and canteen is now permanently card only. My colleage keeps going to buy food and forgets they don’t accept cash, and she’s left her card at home. I’ve had to bail her out with my card a couple of times :eek: But, they should accept cash rather than have food plated up only to find the customer hasn’t got their card…

Reactions: 5
At work the in-house cafe outlet and canteen is now permanently card only. My colleage keeps going to buy food and forgets they don’t accept cash, and she’s left her card at home. I’ve had to bail her out with my card a couple of times :eek: But, they should accept cash rather than have food plated up only to find the customer hasn’t got their card…
Food places that only accept card such as a cafe I would absolutely LOVE to see a group of like a dozen walk in, eat their meals and when it comes to payment all put cash on the table. What would a business do? Let them eat for free or accept cash? Their choice. Even better if when the meals come out they need paying and at that point the business either accepts cash or has a dozen meals to chuck in the bin.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I pay with cash so rarely these days. I withdrew some recently as I was going for a meal out with friends and we thought it'd be easier if we all paid for our own meals by cash. I honestly can't remember the last time before that, though.

I've got all my payment cards and loyalty cards linked up to my phone and it's so easy to pay - verify with face ID, hover phone over payment terminal and bam - done.

I find it's easier to keep track of my spending too, as I get notifications on my phone whenever anything is taken from my account, or paid in (much rarer :D ). I'm not saying we should completely get rid of cash, but I hardly ever use it in this day and age.

Reactions: 1
Years ago I worked at a very prestigious London firm that had in house cafes and restaurants, you had to use your staff card and the money came out of your salary at the end of the month. I was a contractor, so no staff card, no food or drink

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Poundland Rod Stewart at it again in his Daily Star article today. Of course people using cash again during a cost of living crisis is dodgy. Nothing to do with it being easier to budget and cash being more reliable than technology. Of course 2020 was a record low when shops didn't want to accept it but now brilliantly use has shot up. Businesses cannot afford to turn away business by staying cashless in tough times.

20220812_100116.jpg

Just a quick reminder for people who forget their cards or don't like carrying them. You can use Google Pay, Samsung Pay or Apple Pay on your phone. I only discovered this a few months ago, but it's brilliant.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned.

This made me laugh. Cash should always be accepted by a business.

I was at a concert last weekend, at the merch stand, it was often taking 3/4 attempts to put card payments through because they couldn't get WiFi signal. It's a joke. It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't go on to these WiFi card readers, never used to have this problem. But places need to take cash as an alternative for things like this.

Reactions: 6
This made me laugh. Cash should always be accepted by a business.

Not sure why they used the TOTE as, unless it's different at different racetracks, they definitely take cash. I do adhoc work for Britbet and we prefer cash as it's far quicker than card payment.

That explains it very well. Imagine being completely cashless already knowing we could have blackouts over winter. We'd have the extra worry of knowing we no longer had cash to pay with.

I get the cash argument, but it's getting harder to find ATM's around our area. We did have maybe 5-6 banks in the local town - I think we're down to 2 now. The 4x ATM's at the local supermarket have been reduced to 1 machine, and the supermarket doesn't take cash in almost half of the shop-n-scan points. I don't know what the answer is?

I get the cash argument, but it's getting harder to find ATM's around our area. We did have maybe 5-6 banks in the local town - I think we're down to 2 now. The 4x ATM's at the local supermarket have been reduced to 1 machine, and the supermarket doesn't take cash in almost half of the shop-n-scan points. I don't know what the answer is?
I find it easier to budget with cash. If I go out with £20 in my wallet, I know that is what I have to spend for the day. The change in my wallet the end of the day allows me to see how much I have spent.

With card and app payments, I find it harder to keep track of what I've spent. Especially as many apps allow you to pay through them for a coffee, beer, or food. It is easy to spend too much and lose track.

Natwest have announced more Bank closures. Two are in areas not far away from me. Not everyone banks by App, yet the Banks still don't grasp this.

That explains it very well. Imagine being completely cashless already knowing we could have blackouts over winter. We'd have the extra worry of knowing we no longer had cash to pay with.
I went to a coop the other day and all of the card payments were down, they had only been accepting cash all day, this isnone of the things that worries me about a cashless society too, technology isn't infallible

Reactions: 3
I went to a coop the other day and all of the card payments were down, they had only been accepting cash all day, this isnone of the things that worries me about a cashless society too, technology isn't infallible
I'm always astounded by the cash is dead attitude of some people. All the card payment machines went down in South London and there was absolute chaos, shopping trolleys abandoned everywhere. The poor staff were running around trying to get all the perishables back on the shelves.
Maybe we need a pay by cash day to duck over all the places that are trying to prevent us using it.

I'm always astounded by the cash is dead attitude of some people. All the card payment machines went down in South London and there was absolute chaos, shopping trolleys abandoned everywhere. The poor staff were running around trying to get all the perishables back on the shelves.
Maybe we need a pay by cash day to duck over all the places that are trying to prevent us using it.
Yes I live in South London and remember this! Also when (I cannot remember which) bank payments went down, I remember tube stations in chaos as no one could use contactless or buy tickets