Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm always astounded by the cash is dead attitude of some people. All the card payment machines went down in South London and there was absolute chaos, shopping trolleys abandoned everywhere. The poor staff were running around trying to get all the perishables back on the shelves.
Maybe we need a pay by cash day to duck over all the places that are trying to prevent us using it.
Day to day I don't use cash. I had to get some money out the other day to pay the carpet fitters. First time I'd used a cash machine in years. I can't see cash going anywhere but the majority aren't using it. Self service tills are meant to be quicker, only a few tills accept cash and the majority will pay by card or use their phone.

I don't tend to use cash myself but I'm always surprised by how much cash we take daily working in a supermarket. I just kind of assumed that nobody really paid by cash except old people anymore but it's very much abundant and I dread to think how we'd actually cope without it. I was also surprised to see quite a lot of card-only bars in Manchester recently. So many places are stopping accepting cash.

Realistically if the power goes then we can't buy anything. That seems incredibly dangerous to me.

Reactions: 5
I went into my bank today to pay a bill. The first thing I noticed was half the row of cashiers tills, had be partitioned off, and will not be used anymore. I also noticed that one of the cash machines had disappeared.
As soon as I got the opportunity, I asked a member of staff, when the branch was closing. She tried to reaasure me that the branch would not be closing, but I wasn't convinced. She said that demand for a full compliment of staff wasn't there anymore. The same can be applied, to the cash machine that was removed. I said to her, that not everyone wants to use credit cards, some of us would still like the choice.
The branch that I used today, is the only remaining brach in the locality all the others have now closed. This is the future if we don't start speaking up, and fighting for our right to choose, our choice will be taken away for good. It is time to stop sleepwalking into a cashless society.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I went into my bank today to pay a bill. The first thing I noticed was half the row of cashiers tills, had be partitioned off, and will not be used anymore. I also noticed that one of the cash machines had disappeared.
As soon as I got the opportunity, I asked a member of staff, when the branch was closing. She tried to reaasure me that the branch would not be closing, but I wasn't convinced. She said that demand for a full compliment of staff wasn't there anymore. The same can be applied, to the cash machine that was removed. I said to her, that not everyone wants to use credit cards, some of us would still like the choice.
The branch that I used today, is the only remaining brach in the locality all the others have now closed. This is the future if we don't start speaking up, and fighting for our right to choose, our choice will be taken away for good. It is time to stop sleepwalking into a cashless society.
Banks are lying when they tell you that people aren't using them. My local branch closed, now they are closing the 2 in the next towns, one of which frequently has queues out the door. If one bank in my area committed to staying open for atleast the next decade, they would be inundated with customers switching to them

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Banks are lying when they tell you that people aren't using them. My local branch closed, now they are closing the 2 in the next towns, one of which frequently has queues out the door. If one bank in my area committed to staying open for atleast the next decade, they would be inundated with customers switching to them
100% every time I've been in the bank there has been loads of customers in it.

Reactions: 3
100% every time I've been in the bank there has been loads of customers in it.
I went to bank the other day, there was a big queue at the front. the payment machine wasn’t working so I joined the queue for a till. Eventually got there only to be told they can’t make payments, and to join the queue at the front, which now goes out the door.

I eventually get served only for **** to take me to the machine, I explain it’s not working, but the patronising ***** insists I use the machine, twice 🙄. He eventually made my payment, I was in there over an hour. And the reason I was in there in the first place? I couldn’t get thru on the phone

I hardly ever use cash nowadays, I find it easier to use my phone. I have to authenticate it with Face ID so it's secure.

I did recently need to get some cash out and the queue for the cashpoint was long. So lots of people are clearly still using it!

Reactions: 1
It's rare I use cash now, when I get my coffee (*Pret subscription*) I sometimes buy a cookie, I use cash for that
unless I'm in a Pret that doesn't take cash. The other occasion for cash is used picking up a couple of items from
the supermarket.

I still carry at least £30 with me at all times in case the credit card terminals are down at petrol stations, it's VERY
rare but it does happen.

Oh and I don't use my phone for payments, my phone is used for work purposes and I don't believe in having
all my eggs in one basket.

I hardly ever use cash nowadays, I find it easier to use my phone. I have to authenticate it with Face ID so it's secure.

I did recently need to get some cash out and the queue for the cashpoint was long. So lots of people are clearly still using it!
where I live recently there is a worsening issue of phones being snatched at all times of day, even in places surrounded by other people (and even police, at times) I would be nervous about relying on this, for this reason if nothing else, but also I have heard about people whose phones run out of battery and then been stuck on transport when they cannot pay/prove that they have paid

where I live recently there is a worsening issue of phones being snatched at all times of day, even in places surrounded by other people (and even police, at times) I would be nervous about relying on this, for this reason if nothing else, but also I have heard about people whose phones run out of battery and then been stuck on transport when they cannot pay/prove that they have paid
Oh I always have my physical cards with me, too. I just use my phone if I can.

For this reason alone, we should still have the option of using cash.

For this reason alone, we should still have the option of using cash.
You can still use cash. My dog groomer only accepts cash payments, she's lost business as she doesn't accept cards. I've never been in a shop and they won't accept cash.

You can still use cash. My dog groomer only accepts cash payments, she's lost business as she doesn't accept cards. I've never been in a shop and they won't accept cash.
Unfortunately I have been in a few places, where they only accept card payments.
There is hope though, my partner and I went into a pub yesterday, which only accepts cash, It is quite a popular place as well.

Reactions: 2
lots of places near me don't accept cash at all, especially places that opened post lockdowns

• Angry
I have heard about people whose phones run out of battery and then been stuck on transport when they cannot pay/prove that they have paid
Many people underestimate their phones and don't carry a power bank with them.
I personally carry a couple of power banks for my toys because they will not last a
day without them.

I use cash only. I never pay with a bank card or with a mobile phone. 🤢 Even as far back as 2019, I signed a petition to protect the right to use cash and keep printing notes and coins. I like to pay with actual money, not virtual money.

I have refused to give "cashless" businesses my custom and told them what I think.

Another part of this is the NWO/WEF are pushing for a cashless society so that they can instill a social credit system and tyranny.

People are rebelling. I find the queues for the ATMs are getting longer and see more and more people paying with cash. It's a delight to see. We have the power.

• Wow
  • Haha
I work in a supermarket and there is definitely more people using cash.
I’m still astonished by the amount of people who don’t carry a card or some cash with them and solely rely on their phones! We can only refund to a card not straight to phone and it causes a lot of arguments!
Weve been out and about using maps Google etc and my husbands been concerned how quickly his battery depletes!
We also have a power bank and a cable in the car!

Reactions: 4
Slightly off topic but I see a lot of people on the train who have no actual ticket and only buy one on their mobile phone when the Guard or Revenue Officer comes to check tickets. It is giving people an opportunity to only buy when challenged. The railways must be loosing thousands of pounds with people doing this. It's Fare Evasion. And a lot of them play dumb, try using screenshots etc. It takes ages for the inspector to check and sell the tickets. Paper tickets are much easier and there is no need to worry about having enough battery. I put it in my purse and I know it's safe.

I always buy a paper ticket and pay with cash. I like hard currency.

Slightly off topic but I see a lot of people on the train who have no actual ticket and only buy one on their mobile phone when the Guard or Revenue Officer comes to check tickets. It is giving people an opportunity to only buy when challenged. The railways must be loosing thousands of pounds with people doing this. It's Fare Evasion. And a lot of them play dumb, try using screenshots etc. It takes ages for the inspector to check and sell the tickets. Paper tickets are much easier and there is no need to worry about having enough battery. I put it in my purse and I know it's safe.

I always buy a paper ticket and pay with cash. I like hard currency.
Especially with people being able to use the excuse of their phoen being out of battery "I do have a ticket honestly but..."
I live in London and take the DLR daily which has no barriers at any point, they have inspectors all the time now, which they definitley didn't before and EVERY time there are people that haven't bought tickets claiming some kind of tech issue, and not even the kind of people you would expect (I remember fare evading at times as a teenager and I am sure a lot of us did) but clearly people in suits, going to work etc.

I work in a supermarket and there is definitely more people using cash.
I’m still astonished by the amount of people who don’t carry a card or some cash with them and solely rely on their phones! We can only refund to a card not straight to phone and it causes a lot of arguments!
Weve been out and about using maps Google etc and my husbands been concerned how quickly his battery depletes!
We also have a power bank and a cable in the car!
Sadly people put all their eggs all in one basket by using a phone only with no back up, people
have been sucked in with using apps on the phone for everything. Mainly down to a lack of
common sense of seemingly intelligent people. As for google maps, that is a real drainer on the
battery, even for a 15 minute trip.