Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I carry cash but that's because I like to nip into charity shops etc but I'm definitely using cards more then I used to .
Same and I really hate it, I was so much better at budgeting whne I used cash, I would take out money at the beginning of the week (for everything other than rent and bills) and when it was gone I wouldn't spend anymore, I really need to start that again tbh

Reactions: 10
Same and I really hate it, I was so much better at budgeting whne I used cash, I would take out money at the beginning of the week (for everything other than rent and bills) and when it was gone I wouldn't spend anymore, I really need to start that again tbh
I've started doing this again recently.

Reactions: 3
So , I was told asda don't do cashback on the main checkouts, just self service. In shops , it used to be the other way round. There are only a couple of cashier operated checkouts , and quite a few self ones. Customers are encouraged to one use self service.

I think I might ask for cashback in supermarkets, just to show there is demand for it.

I don't like self checkouts cos I can't often be bothered to do it myself. There's never room for a pushchair. Toddlers grab and press things and the staff have to come anyway if you buy alcohol or something with a security tag.

Wheee on
Boris is being open about it now. Get shut of cash so everything you ever buy is on a card. But if you do things bad for the environment like buy too much meat, buy too many plane tickets, buy too much petrol for your car in a short space of time etc it would be red flagged at their end and your card with access to your own money will be able to be switched off.

where on earth did you get the idea they’d switch your money off for buying things bad for the environment? 😂 that’s not what the press release says in any way

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Wheee on

where on earth did you get the idea they’d switch your money off for buying things bad for the environment? 😂 that’s not what the press release says in any way
You seen what's happening with law abiding people being sanctioned here just for being Russian? Well do you not think if we went cashless so everyone had to buy things without cash the government wouldn't use that as a way to make the public do as they say? You've a criminal record so we are freezing your bank. You're overweight we are freezing your bank. You were at a protest against us we are freezing your bank.

You're being silly if you think not being able to use cash to buy anything ever again wouldn't be used by the government to pressure and/or punish people.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
You seen what's happening with law abiding people being sanctioned here just for being Russian? Well do you not think if we went cashless so everyone had to buy things without cash the government wouldn't use that as a way to make the public do as they say? You've a criminal record so we are freezing your bank. You're overweight we are freezing your bank. You were at a protest against us we are freezing your bank.

You're being silly if you think not being able to use cash to buy anything ever again wouldn't be used by the government to pressure and/or punish people.
I’m being silly? 😂
Because yes sanctioning Russians is exactly like freezing an overweight persons bank account for buying sweets at Tesco 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Blimey I've heard it all now. I mean!!! 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: 1
I’m being silly? 😂
Because yes sanctioning Russians is exactly like freezing an overweight persons bank account for buying sweets at Tesco 😭
They are sanctioning law abiding Russian people because they are Russian. Nothing to stop people in the future from stopping having money available if they don't abide to something. You don't think for example if there was no more cash so you had to pay for everything on card and say you were clinically obese, the government wouldn't at least have the idea to make your bank card reject any purchase over X amount of calories? The same government that legally banned us from seeing our friends and family?

• Haha
Reactions: 2
They are sanctioning law abiding Russian people because they are Russian. Nothing to stop people in the future from stopping having money available if they don't abide to something. You don't think for example if there was no more cash so you had to pay for everything on card and say you were clinically obese, the government wouldn't at least have the idea to make your bank card reject any purchase over X amount of calories? The same government that legally banned us from seeing our friends and family?
How would Boris know somebody is overweight?

• Haha
Find this quite interesting.

I work with vulnerable adults and complicated story but we had 2 companies providing support to our clients. Us and another company. The other company came in and changed everyone to online banking and cards. Now we did have concerns about these people carrying too much cash on them and getting mugged. However the financial abuse since putting them all onto online banking and cards is unreal. Its been devastating to see this happen and the main reason I will never be for a cashless society.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
How would Boris know somebody is overweight?
The same as he finds out anything, he would be told by people in the know. He could easily make it law that NHS staff tell him about anyone they deal with who is clinically obese. It would be easy to make it so if someone is known to have a drink issue they can legally make it so if they tried to buy booze their card would automatically decline the transaction.

• Haha
The same as he finds out anything, he would be told by people in the know. He could easily make it law that NHS staff tell him about anyone they deal with who is clinically obese. It would be easy to make it so if someone is known to have a drink issue they can legally make it so if they tried to buy booze their card would automatically decline the transaction.
I mean this with the upmost respect, please get help.

• Haha
In this future scenario, it is unlikely to be Boris in charge.
Shop card payments don't come out immediately, they stay pending for a period of time and sometimes don't show in pending until they have been uploaded from the merchant terminal ( forgive me if this is not the correct terminology) . Stock records don't always update immediately ( it was daily in my previous job) so a customer will have left the store with their goods.
Obviously, goods online aren't dispatched til payments are authorised, buy that's not the powers that be deciding the buyer doesn't deserve them .

I mean this with the upmost respect, please get help.
You're underestimating the way the world is going. Governments all over the world have showed how much they love power and control these past two years and I see nothing to think in the future this will change. With advances in technology don't be shocked to the level control ends up being. Let's bump this thread in ten years time and see :D

Reactions: 2
What a wonderful story :) Cash remains king.

Tbh I'd be a bit pissed at that, I hate carrying cash, its far too easy to be lifted, as careful as I am with my purse I still dont trust having large amounts in it, my phone is kept in my front pocket at all times so if my purse was lifted I could with ease close my card down before they had a chance to use it, plus in some cases you are protected an can get it back if it has been spent, if it was only cash I'd be screwed, an at somthing like that where I'd be away for a while I'd need quite a bit of cash on me

What a wonderful story :) Cash remains king.

Yeah I was there, paying for stuff was a real shambles. In days gone by Glasto would have had loads of cash machines scattered about the festival site but I saw very few of those this year, presumably because they expected nobody to need cash.

Wasn't just bars, food stalls as well were constantly changing their minds on whether they could take card payments or not.

I am not sure it was wifi problems like that story claims, all the payment terminals I saw were 4G ones i.e. mobile data not wifi. And anybody who is a Glasto regular knows that the phone signal dies with that many people on site. To be fair it was very good this year if you were on EE (who are the festival mobile provider and put a load of temporary masts and capacity in) but I also had O2 and Three sims with me and they were absolutely useless.

The trouble with cashless is it all requires live connections as it's all real time transactions now. They need to roll things back to how it was a few years ago and you could take credit card payments offline and reconcile them later on when a connection is available. Yes there will be the odd person then able to get away with using a stolen or blocked card but it's a few beers FFS, not truck loads of gold bullion that they are getting away with.

I use cash. Much prefer being able to feel my money as I hand it over to someone it makes me conscious of how much I’m spending where’s if I buy something on my card it feels like I haven’t spent money until I look at my bank balance!
My boys school only take cash for trips, school dinner etc, i prefer paying cash when ordering takeout so I can tip the driver, same as other services I like to tip. Anyone who refuses cash doesn’t get my service!
My card has been hacked before, I’ve also had an issue where I wanted to pay cash for shopping and the shop assistant said my payment had already gone through I looked at her like what?! And she said it was paid by visa contactless, turned out it picked it up from my handbag. Put me off it. I go to the bank once a week to lift out what I need and it helps me stay in budget with our spending.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I use cash. Much prefer being able to feel my money as I hand it over to someone it makes me conscious of how much I’m spending where’s if I buy something on my card it feels like I haven’t spent money until I look at my bank balance!
My boys school only take cash for trips, school dinner etc, i prefer paying cash when ordering takeout so I can tip the driver, same as other services I like to tip. Anyone who refuses cash doesn’t get my service!
My card has been hacked before, I’ve also had an issue where I wanted to pay cash for shopping and the shop assistant said my payment had already gone through I looked at her like what?! And she said it was paid by visa contactless, turned out it picked it up from my handbag. Put me off it. I go to the bank once a week to lift out what I need and it helps me stay in budget with our spending.
I've never heard of a card paying without it pressing onto the contacless machine. My children's school stopped cash years ago, we had to top up their dinner money online which transferred onto their swipe cards.

• Sad