Carrie Hope Fletcher #7 Carrie Fletcher, there is no hope left.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They're rejigging songs so there was a snippet of Far too late being resung soooo fingers crossed that Bad Cinderella will follow suit?

Reactions: 1
They're rejigging songs so there was a snippet of Far too late being resung soooo fingers crossed that Bad Cinderella will follow suit?
Rejigged with new lyrics?
Cos Bad Cinderella needs a complete overhaul
Do you reckon that’s why the album hasn’t been released yet?

Reactions: 4
It's certainly "far too late" to do anything about Bad Cinderella being performed numerous times with its "barking mad", "loon", "nutter" etc. But the least they could do is change it for the actual show

Reactions: 3
It's certainly "far too late" to do anything about Bad Cinderella being performed numerous times with its "barking mad", "loon", "nutter" etc. But the least they could do is change it for the actual show
Agreed
It’s actually embarrassing how out of step those lyrics are
And sung by *the* advocate for wellness and positive mental health herself it’s just hypocritical. I’m literally waiting for her to dare post something promoting mental health.
If she was serious about the subject she’d refuse to sing them. Whatever the context there’s just no need for outdated harmful language like that. If she was in any way sincere at the very least she could talk to Andrew. Her singing it knowing that they make people uncomfortable makes it worse. And she has been called out on it on Twitter and on TheatreBoard ... and as we know she searches for her name so has no excuse.
Carrie if you’re reading this PLEASE make a positive change and get them to change the lyric.

Reactions: 12
I think that was for the single version of Far Too Late, I don’t think they’ll be re-recording anything else unless there are plans for major changes.
In regards to the offensive lyrics in Bad Cinderella, I do wonder if they are trying to prove a point about bullying words. I hear that song as Cinderella saying ‘these are the words that these people are using to describe me, and by using these words they are proving to be just as bad as “bad Cinderella”. It’s hard to judge because we don’t really know the context of the song at this point. We can’t just erase everything we don’t like because otherwise how would we learn from our mistakes? I wonder if that is the point of the song. Belleville is supposed to be perfect but the residents are essentially bullying one of their own because she won’t conform to their standards. Straight away the song shows the cracks in the otherwise perfect town. Basically I’m on the optimistic side just because of Emerald and I really hope her book pulls through.
Carries vlog though! Standing in front of her face when she is waiting for her taxi… there was a million places she could have stood but she chose there? Idea for next thread is something along the lines of Carrie’s head literally getting bigger and bigger.

Reactions: 10
I think that was for the single version of Far Too Late, I don’t think they’ll be re-recording anything else unless there are plans for major changes.
In regards to the offensive lyrics in Bad Cinderella, I do wonder if they are trying to prove a point about bullying words. I hear that song as Cinderella saying ‘these are the words that these people are using to describe me, and by using these words they are proving to be just as bad as “bad Cinderella”. It’s hard to judge because we don’t really know the context of the song at this point. We can’t just erase everything we don’t like because otherwise how would we learn from our mistakes? I wonder if that is the point of the song. Belleville is supposed to be perfect but the residents are essentially bullying one of their own because she won’t conform to their standards. Straight away the song shows the cracks in the otherwise perfect town. Basically I’m on the optimistic side just because of Emerald and I really hope her book pulls through.
Carries vlog though! Standing in front of her face when she is waiting for her taxi… there was a million places she could have stood but she chose there? Idea for next thread is something along the lines of Carrie’s head literally getting bigger and bigger.
Yeah I get that the context is obvious bullying but no need to pull out mental health slurs. There are smarter ways to demonstrate the fact she’s an ‘outcast’ in the lyrics and not just cos gutter and mutter rhyme with nutter

Reactions: 7
It’s Interesting timing that she is releasing a Cinderella vlog tonight. 🤔
I don't know — she usually sticks to one day of the week doesn't she? So if she didn't do this Sunday she'd have had to wait until next week. Although releasing it this morning might have been better.

Reactions: 1
Yeah I get that the context is obvious bullying but no need to pull out mental health slurs. There are smarter ways to demonstrate the fact she’s an ‘outcast’ in the lyrics and not just cos gutter and mutter rhyme with nutter
Agreed. I think its sad that they have to resort to slurs just because it rhymes, and it just perpetuates their use in day to day language which is awful. 'Lame' is another one, I can't believe we as a society still use these words and think they're harmless. It would be like them putting the r word in a song just to establish that people are bullies, totally unnecessary

I’ll admit I wasn’t aware of the word ‘nutter’ being a mental health slur until I just looked it up- my apologies, though I am aware of some of the other outdated name calling in the song. Having looked up the lyricist, you have to wonder what was going through his head. (Unless the show is trying to tell a story about mental health)
And some of the things that Carrie has said about the song sound really weird. Especially with the lyric ‘Cinderella is the catty name that they call me’. Don’t most if not all versions of Cinderella say that her name is Ella and the nickname comes from her working and sleeping by the fire and the cinders smudging her face? So why has Carrie doubled down on this version having her full name as Cinderella? She did that before rehearsals started so it’ll be hilarious if it now comes out that Carrie misinterpreted the song and her character actually is called Ella.

Well I skimmed my way through the vlog and it was her usual boring, repetitive stuff - coffee, journey to work, Covid test, a bit of warm up footage. Nothing earth shattering…. but then the book trolley! It’s not enough to have already gone on about it on Insta. She actually filmed herself assembling the trolley (yawn) and then told us how she has so many books that she needed to get rid of some and - look! - what a wonderful generous person she is - she tells us she wheels the trolley around the dressing rooms so that the cast (lesser mortals than our wonderful Carrie) can borrow or EVEN keep some of her old books if they want to! Wow, what a legend. What a lucky cast to have Carrie as their leader.
BTW I have no criticism of shared libraries in workplaces, it’s just that Carrie has made this all about herself as usual. 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I'm still hoping ALW is going to wheel Patti LuPone in at the last minute to take over

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Agreed
It’s actually embarrassing how out of step those lyrics are
And sung by *the* advocate for wellness and positive mental health herself it’s just hypocritical. I’m literally waiting for her to dare post something promoting mental health.
If she was serious about the subject she’d refuse to sing them. Whatever the context there’s just no need for outdated harmful language like that. If she was in any way sincere at the very least she could talk to Andrew. Her singing it knowing that they make people uncomfortable makes it worse. And she has been called out on it on Twitter and on TheatreBoard ... and as we know she searches for her name so has no excuse.
Carrie if you’re reading this PLEASE make a positive change and get them to change the lyric.
I see it a bit differently to most, if it’s meant to be horrible people calling Cinderella horrible words then it makes sense that they be outdated horrible terms from small minded people. Then again it’s ALW, maybe I’m giving him too much credit

Oh I highly doubt that patti can't stand ALW after the sunset stunt he pulled on her.
What did he do?

Oh I highly doubt that patti can't stand ALW after the sunset stunt he pulled on her.
Yes I do know that! For it to be Patti herself would be an unlikely bonus, I know.

In all seriousness though since he's got form, if I were CHF I would not rest easy until at least a few weeks beyond opening night and good reviews are in the bag ...

I see it a bit differently to most, if it’s meant to be horrible people calling Cinderella horrible words then it makes sense that they be outdated horrible terms from small minded people. Then again it’s ALW, maybe I’m giving him too much credit

What did he do?
Agreed. Also, I think ALW literally is so out of touch that he doesn't get that these words are outdated and offensive. They just put some words in there to quickly indicate that Cinderella is mocked by the others, in a lazy way. Really cringey and they should definitely have known better.

Reactions: 5
Sorry I made a similar post because I hadn’t read yours when I did

Reactions: 2
I remember listening to a podcast or programme with, I'm sure, it was Richard Stillgoe, but it might have been Tim Rice being interviewed. He said that the way things worked was that ALW would write a load of music, which they'd take away and set words to. He said that ALW was always grumpy about the first verse, so they quickly learned to make the first verse throwaway knowing that ALW would hate it. Maybe in this case ALW forgot to throw anything from David Zippel out, or it was all so bad that he had to keep it all, dodgy words as well!

• Haha
David Zippel has written some of my all-time favourite musical theatre lyrics (in City of Angels) so I would really like to think that the poor lyrics are down to ALW’s instruction but who knows?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.