Carrie Hope Fletcher #2 The Carrie Hope Fletcher Show

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm absolutely not questioning that Carrie talks out her arse and is not well liked. I'm here to gossip about her and am critical about many things about her. I just think JK Rowling is no more qualified than Carrie to comment on the issues she has been commenting on and it's completely fair game to disagree and criticise her for it in the same way we do with Carrie. She's not immune to that.

I also think it's possible to separate your personal opinions of an individual with your opinions of their work. You don't have to want to be friends with someone to like their books.
THANK YOU! You speak my mind exactly about both Carrie and Rowling. 🙏

Reactions: 1
WTF is that plant in the background of her latest journalling video, has she planted a piece of brocolli?

Oliver interrupting this video is quite funny.

1599715849112.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Going back to the sheet music thing, it's a bit pathetic imo that she hasn't learned. Okay so she didn't go to stage school to learn it there. But her brother is in McFly, he would have had the resources to show her the basics. She had lots of down time in-between productions, she could have self taught. She gets given scores when learning new parts, so she has access to material. I'm self teaching myself an instrument as a 30 year old and guess what, sheet music isn't hard to learn to understand, with tutorial books and youtube videos. Carrie just doesn't want to make the effort.

Reactions: 6
Going back to the sheet music thing, it's a bit pathetic imo that she hasn't learned. Okay so she didn't go to stage school to learn it there. But her brother is in McFly, he would have had the resources to show her the basics. She had lots of down time in-between productions, she could have self taught. She gets given scores when learning new parts, so she has access to material. I'm self teaching myself an instrument as a 30 year old and guess what, sheet music isn't hard to learn to understand, with tutorial books and youtube videos. Carrie just doesn't want to make the effort.
Also wasn't her father a musician, or played guitar (?). So yes she was bought up around music so no excuse!

I actually learned through Toms YouTube, that he didn’t really read music until a couple of years ago. When he writes music he always writes in the same key and gets his keyboard to transcribe it with the press of a button. He learned to play all of McFlys albums in the correct key for a series of concerts where the band played through all of their albums in order. Not surprising that Carrie thinks she can get by without learning when her brother was so successful without needing to learn as much. The difference is Tom went to Sylvia Young, Carrie didn’t. She found her agent when she was a kid by accompanying her mum picking Tom up from school. I think she admitted she did some ballet as a kid, and she has talked about a vocal coach in her vlogs before, but a vocal coach and singing teacher are two different things. A vocal coach can help you with auditions by helping you act through song but they don’t teach you how to sing properly and healthily- that’s what the singing teacher is for!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
It's perfectly fine for fans of HP to not support JK Rowling anymore, since she totally invalidates their existance, and still love HP. As far as I have seen these series have been a huge part of ppls lives.

You don't have to support some time to be like their work. Personally, I read Potter in my late 20s and it's just fine.

Cinderella isn't going to go well because it's boring as a theme. I want to see new musicals about things that haven't been done before.

Reactions: 9
I actually learned through Toms YouTube, that he didn’t really read music until a couple of years ago. When he writes music he always writes in the same key and gets his keyboard to transcribe it with the press of a button. He learned to play all of McFlys albums in the correct key for a series of concerts where the band played through all of their albums in order. Not surprising that Carrie thinks she can get by without learning when her brother was so successful without needing to learn as much. The difference is Tom went to Sylvia Young, Carrie didn’t. She found her agent when she was a kid by accompanying her mum picking Tom up from school. I think she admitted she did some ballet as a kid, and she has talked about a vocal coach in her vlogs before, but a vocal coach and singing teacher are two different things. A vocal coach can help you with auditions by helping you act through song but they don’t teach you how to sing properly and healthily- that’s what the singing teacher is for!
I didn't realise that about Tom.

I honestly still don't totally buy that she can't read sheet music. I wonder if she either doesn't understand what reading sheet music means or is just saying she can't to be *special* and not like other musical theater performers. I feel like learning to read music would be a part of GCSE music (although I have no idea as I did not go to school in the UK), but it just baffles me that it wouldn't be, we learned to read sheet music in normal music classes in middle school, probably before then. For that matter it also seems like reading music would be something you learn at a performing arts school, so how did Tom not know? Or maybe I'm just the one that doesn't understand what reading music means XD.

Reactions: 2
I thought she co wrote a musical with Tom. No wonder people criticise her when she then can’t read music. A bit like an actor being given a script but can’t read.

Reactions: 3
I thought she co wrote a musical with Tom. No wonder people criticise her when she then can’t read music. A bit like an actor being given a script but can’t read.
Stephen Graham, the actor, suffers from dyslexia and he's stated that his wife reads his scripts for him so he can learn the lines, etc.

He is an amazing actor and despite that obstacle, has done incredibly well regardless. I think he is very inspiring.

Carrie doesn't have an excuse not to learn things. She goes on about how "intelligent" (I vaguely recall her saying she wanted to go to Oxford University if she didn't go into Theatre) so it is just laziness and compliancy.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I honestly still don't totally buy that she can't read sheet music. I wonder if she either doesn't understand what reading sheet music means or is just saying she can't to be *special* and not like other musical theater performers. I feel like learning to read music would be a part of GCSE music (although I have no idea as I did not go to school in the UK), but it just baffles me that it wouldn't be, we learned to read sheet music in normal music classes in middle school, probably before then. For that matter it also seems like reading music would be something you learn at a performing arts school, so how did Tom not know? Or maybe I'm just the one that doesn't understand what reading music means XD.
I took gcse music in 2006 (so similar era to Carrie) and there was people who couldn’t read music and were allowed to take the course(they did however have to do a few lunchtime/after school sessions for basics). These people were singers and guitarists. It may however depend on the exam board requirements. I went on to take an a-level in music technology and again there was students with little or no ability to read music(again these were mostly guitarist who self using tabs and again those who couldn’t had to take extra sessions). It is surprising that given she went to a private school she wasn’t taught at least the bare minimum.

Stephen Graham, the actor, suffers from dyslexia and he's stated that his wife reads his scripts for him so he can learn the lines, etc.

He is an amazing actor and despite that obstacle, has done incredibly well regardless. I think he is very inspiring.

Carrie doesn't have an excuse not to learn things. She goes on about how "intelligent" (I vaguely recall her saying she wanted to go to Oxford University if she didn't go into Theatre) so it is just laziness and compliancy.
Agreed, having severe dyslexia and becoming an successful actor as he has must have been very difficult. But as you say it's because he has a condition that prevents that. Nothing he can do about that. Unlike Carrie who is bone idle.

Reactions: 5

Keira Knightley also has dyslexia

I took gcse music in 2006 (so similar era to Carrie) and there was people who couldn’t read music and were allowed to take the course(they did however have to do a few lunchtime/after school sessions for basics). These people were singers and guitarists. It may however depend on the exam board requirements. I went on to take an a-level in music technology and again there was students with little or no ability to read music(again these were mostly guitarist who self using tabs and again those who couldn’t had to take extra sessions). It is surprising that given she went to a private school she wasn’t taught at least the bare minimum.
I did GCSE music in 2005 and we had to be grade 5 standard on our selected instruments. I was learning my grade 5 piano at the time and that was sufficient. I think they generally expected people to already know how to read music if they were doing it at GCSE level. I was doing my grade 5 in singing at the time which allowed me sing on another students composition. Sometimes I think Carrie is lying about not being able to read music- I think she probably can but she can’t sight sing- it’s incredibly difficult, tbh not many people can actually do it. People have thought I could sight sing before, I can’t, I just know how to read music. Reading music isn’t just about knowing the notes, it’s learning about how recognise intervals, key changes, rests etc. Give a piece of sheet music and I could teach myself to play it because I can read it. An exceptional sightreader doesn’t need to practice, they can just play it with the music in front of them, or sing it in the correct key at the correct pacing with no accompaniment. The fact that she had a twitter argument with a graduate questioning why some professionals don’t know how to read music was a massive face palm moment for me and probably the whole theatre industry. A professional musical actress in the West End fighting *with a drama school graduate* on TWITTER about not being able to read music! Does that not scream MAJOR RED FLAG!

I was trying to find out what GCSEs Carrie actually did and came across this old video. I think I'd already stopped watching her by this point (ironically because I'd just started uni) but it just feels so aggressive 😬

"I took the long way round"... Like, lmao, you literally took the shortcut of going straight into your career?
But yeah, this slightly barbed video gives quite an insight into what she thinks of higher education - keeps calling it "a bit of paper" and only thought about studying as a way to shut others up 🤦
But I wouldn't be surprised if this video/rant is also how she views reading sheet music.

in regards to the jk rowling discussion, my thoughts are that if she truly wants to be seen as a trans ally/someone who disagrees with rowling, she wouldn’t take jobs/paid promotions with the harry potter franchise. it’s fair to say she has seperated the art from the artist in respect to still enjoying reading the books and watching the films etc. but continuing to partner with the franchise (and so promote it professionally) is very iffy imo. she should practise what she preaches and show an ounce of integrity by not promoting a franchise that represents rowling to her fans.

in regards to the jk rowling discussion, my thoughts are that if she truly wants to be seen as a trans ally/someone who disagrees with rowling, she wouldn’t take jobs/paid promotions with the harry potter franchise. it’s fair to say she has seperated the art from the artist in respect to still enjoying reading the books and watching the films etc. but continuing to partner with the franchise (and so promote it professionally) is very iffy imo. she should practise what she preaches and show an ounce of integrity by not promoting a franchise that represents rowling to her fans.
I agree with this entirely, she’s trying to justify profiting from the franchise by separating it from JK.... how about just not taking the job in the first place? It’s a wee bit hypocritical to me

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.