Carrie Hope Fletcher #13 With This Miss(ed Performance)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, that was a weird way to find out about that!
Carrie’s only connection to Sondheim is through the name change of the Queens theatre. Carrie better sit this one back and let the people who knew and worked with him share their stories. So gutted to hear he’s gone! Such a genius with his unique fast paced music- I’m Not Getting Married Today is one of the best musical theatre songs ever written and Into The Woods is my favourite Sondheim show! When you hear his music, you know straight away that it’s Sondheim! There is no one else like him! Rest in Peace Stephen. You’ll live forever as the heart of all the music you’ve ever written 💕
This news this evening makes me so sad. Company, Follies, Sweeney are all in my top five shows.
He leaves us with such a legacy to keep enjoying.

Speaking of "Not Getting Married", and sorry that this isn't CHF related at all, but this is one of my favourite recordings, where the man himself helps some students learn to sing it. It is said to be one of the hardest musical theatre songs to sing, not many people can manage it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I just remembered. One of the times Carrie was last arguing with a paying customer on Twitter, I sent a tweet to ALW’s twitter saying that if I worked in a supermarket and spoke to paying customers the way Carrie does, I’d be fired. I said something about how just because they’re different industries, they’re still providing a service. Slightly worried I influenced ALW’s ‘service industry’ comments 😂 (I’m sure I didn’t but there’s a part of me that’s like ‘Whoops what if’)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Honestly after ALW screamed what he did at the cast I can’t say I blame her for being pissed off. Im not a fan of her but ALW and other big theatre producers treat a lot of their workers like absolute 💩, I’d actually admire her if she took a public stand and said “it’s gross to blame your cast for your show doing badly”. ALW can’t admit that not everything he writes is amazing and will blame all his problems on everyone else. We’ve seen it before. I don’t like Carrie but I feel for her dealing with ALW and his ego. She probably had stars in her eyes thinking this would help her career and instead is dealing with a nightmare boss. Even if this does boot her out his shows for the foreseeable, I can see newer producers who hate the old guard taking her on.
What did he scream at the cast? I can’t find any articles and trying to get up to speed?

Reactions: 1
As an actor, and someone who now works in theatre marketing behind the scenes, we are absolutely a service industry in many ways. Obviously, the theatre industry is different from retail and food service, but entertainment is a service. We provide something in return for payment, that's a service.

I'm not an ALW fan and have heard many similar stories to this from him, but the cast's specific reaction to the service industry comparison is putting a really bad taste in my mouth personally. I think it shows how many of these actors truly feel about "service industry" workers that they're so offended to be looped in with them. There are a lot of actors, specifically in the west end, who have superiority complexes and they're really showing it now.

Reactions: 23
You know she's regretting her choice. She was so smug in the beginning with the whole "Why didn't you just tell them yes and THEN ask me?" when she accepted the job. Carrie was so sure that she was gonna become the next big thing. Maybe even a free ride to Broadway when it transfers. Obviously that didn't happen and there's no way she's going to last another six months in her contract. And the best part? She can't lie and say that she never planned on staying a full year if she bows (pun absolutely intended) out before then. She'll have to walk away with her tail between her legs and admit defeat that she couldn't handle working for ALW.
The really silly thing is that I'm sure people would be/would have been way more sympathetic to her having to bow (ha) out if she had just... kept her head down and done her job; it isn't as though people aren't aware of ALW's reputation/attitude and the way he's treated some of his former leading ladies. I haven't posted here before but I've been reading the threads and you were all relatively sympathetic towards her for a while... until she started for want of a better way to phrase it running her mouth off.

Reactions: 8
There is a hash tag on TikTok of #serviceindustry. I saw a video from someone in the Book of Mormon and he had used it. Clearly it’s ruffled a lot of feathers!

Reactions: 3
A real diva has to earn that title with actual work and talent, what Carrie was is a prima donna.
Sorry - in German if you call someone a diva it usually refers to arrogant, better-than-thou, celebrity-like behavior :D That's what I was trying to get at

Reactions: 7
Sorry - in German if you call someone a diva it usually refers to arrogant, better-than-thou, celebrity-like behavior :D That's what I was trying to get at
I think that's the main definition now in most places to be honest

Reactions: 6
I wonder if the reason the “service industry” comment touched some nerves is that a lot of people working in the arts had to take on other work (such as working in the food service industries etc.) during COVID, and this felt like a distinct departure from their careers. Obviously there is nothing wrong with doing those jobs, and it’s a long standing thing for artists to take on a side job in bars and cafes etc., but I can see where the connection might be made when they’ve likely fought hard for a place back in their own industry (and many still aren’t able to work in the arts with limited roles, more new graduates when the previous two years haven’t been able to get on the ladder yet, lack of funding due to COVID). I’m absolutely not agreeing with being derisive towards people working in any sector of a service industry (and I think we can talk forever about what is or isn’t classed as a “service industry”), but can maybe see where it has got to people.

Reactions: 5
Gut feeling tells me what's happened is the performers have just taken ALW's use of the term "service industry" way too literally and their egos simply cannot handle it.

I continue to be shocked at the attitudes on display from so many of these actors.

Reactions: 21
Gut feeling tells me what's happened is the performers have just taken ALW's use of the term "service industry" way too literally and their egos simply cannot handle it.

I continue to be shocked at the attitudes on display from so many of these actors.
I know nothing about one of the Lauren’s yet didn’t like her tweet ‘just 4 swings working hard in the service industry’. I always have great admiration for swings

Reactions: 5

I think the key takeaway is that many of them have chosen to be offended by it, which speaks volumes about their real feelings.

Reactions: 13
I think the key takeaway is that many of them have chosen to be offended by it, which speaks volumes about their real feelings.
Right? I don't like ALW at all but lots of masks slipping all over the place after that comment.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.