Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lucyq

I think, no matter what a dick ALW is being, you don't make your feelings known online. You take the high road, keeping your professional integrity intact in the public domain. Then by all means have private conversations about what happened with friends or even future employers if they ask, but don't play it out in public. Even if she's in the right, to me just it come across as incredibly immature. I don't see it as sticking up for the cast as it's just going to raise tensions going forward for everyone - and they don't have the luxury of storming out of the production as she may have.

Reactions: 35

Must42

From Lucie Jones’ Instagram story.
This is the attitude that Carrie should have - to constantly be striving to be the best she can be at her job.
I constantly have to attend training for my job, why should hers be any different? Why should audiences have to pay through the nose for a performance where she puts in minimal effort just because she knows her job is safe because her of her following? (Though I guess recent events suggest that that may no longer be true…)

Attachments

• Heart

majestic26

VIP Member
I come from about as poor a background as is possible without actually being homeless - like we literally had to borrow money from neighbours to put food in the cupboards, every item of clothing we has was a hand-me-down and things like deodorant and sanitary towels were considered a luxury to us for a long time.

I've been able to read music since I was 8 - because I learned it in (inner-city, northern, grossly underfunded) primary school and enjoyed it a lot, so I practiced. It's absolutely not a question of privilege. If she still hasn't learned to read music to an acceptable level to follow the score of a musical she's been cast in, it's gross negligence on her part and just shows HER privilege that she can still be cast despite such a huge gap in her skills.

She’s unfollowed him on twitter as well. I feel like Carrie really didn’t know what she was getting herself into working for ALW. She was so proud that she got to originate a role in one of his musicals and gushed over him and obviously thought this was an amazing career move. Meanwhile, literally everyone else knew that this was an unwise career move on her part. We all know what he’s been like with his cast in the past, yet she just didn’t see it happening. I think this has set her back in her career. Especially as, even though I agree with the tweets she’s liking, future employers are going to see those and be hesitant about employing her. She is extremely unprofessional online, slating her boss (although he deserves it) and arguing with paying customers. I wonder if she’ll still have a career after this?

• Wow
Incoming bio update to say Grammy nominated singer.
The awards aren’t even for her, they’re for the writers, composers, and producers of the albums but of course she’s said ‘I feature on two Grammy nominated musical theatre albums’. Like she’s trying to take credit for it. ‘I feature.’ Not ‘Congratulations to X, Y, and Z for being nominated for a Grammy. So lucky to have been a small part of it.’ It’s ‘I feature on two Grammy nominated musical theatre albums. Pinch me. Hard. This can’t be real?!’ CARRIE, the fucking nominations aren’t even for you!! She is so desperate. The narcissism is astounding. The amount of people congratulating her and calling her iconic is ridiculous. It’s not her work!

Reactions: 33

londongirl2001

VIP Member
Hmm this discussion is for another thread really but - agree to disagree? How exactly is JKR ‘continuing to make trans peoples lives hell’? She made one shit comment forever ago. As long as we’re not buying any of her merchandise, people can still love the story and magic of Harry Potter without condemning the entire trans community 🙄 celebs don’t pay to go to these parties
There's a very strong anti-trans movement in the UK, endangering trans people's lives and JK Rowling is the movement's very public supporter. Her being in transphobes' corner is a biggie and they are proud of that and feel validated in their attempts to restrict trans people's rights and painting them (especially trans women) as a threat to women and children. It wasn't just one shit comment forever ago. This is ongoing and gaining power, sadly. Which is all I will say about this, but I know JK has a thread on here so you can definitely ask there :)

Mod edit
If people want to talk about this going forward check out the relevant threads in other forums as to not spoil this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Heart

zadietells

The way I see it, it’s like online food shopping. You order a specific product, but if that’s not available you get offered / given a substitute. Rogue substitutions aside (we’ve all had them) It’s a similar product and it performs the same function as you had planned for the other product. You’re a bit disappointed because it’s not exactly what you ordered, but what you are offered is also fine and you may even like it! You may even like it more! But even so, you’re allowed to feel disappointed that you didn’t get what you specifically asked for. You might even give the substitution back and wait until the product you like is back in stock, if you’re able to do so. It’s the same in theatre - you pick a show because you’ve been told a certain actor is available but you find out on the day that they’re not. The alternative is still great of course but you’re allowed to say “it’s a shame I didn’t get to see you / I’m disappointed I didn’t get to see you”. Obviously being abusive or rude is not on, but most of the messages I’ve seen haven’t been like that.
But honestly Carrie needs to stop harping on about “8 shows a week”. Quite a few of the company (and especially the crew) are doing 8-show weeks. Carrie isn’t one of them (whether that’s her decision or not).

Screenshot_20211203-202309-040.png

Oh for goodness sake, if she's a machine then she's a McDonald's ice cream machine with somehow more breakages.

She'd be way past 100 shows by now if she committed to her damn job and stopped missing shows because she broke a nail.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32

Kitt

VIP Member
View attachment 886089

HELL YES, ROB!! GO OFF!
The BBC producers create that concept. ITV have people eating anus and balls on tv while Ant and Dec watch and laugh and they’re seen as national treasures. People willingly partake in these shows to be famous.

By no means defending ALW, just hate how reductive and sensationalist Twitter can be sometimes and everyone gets hyped and jumps on bandwagons.

Carrie’s searching out and liking any tweets that support her viewpoint. It makes her feel vindicated that people are seeing her as a victim when it’s not the full story. She did this with Pete. She is very manipulative and a bully herself. Let’s not forget that.

Reactions: 32

haggis_head

I don't think we should dis Edgar, he seems like a good cat.
As a cat owner I 100% believe my cats are somehow unique and special. I know they're not but I like to believe. In Carrie's defense this is normal cat owner behaviour.
Did Edgar write this?

• Haha
Reactions: 31

arty123

Chatty Member
Possible new thread title
(after all the chat about sight reading!)
'Do-Re-Mi me me and my tacky tree'

• Haha

Kitt

VIP Member
View attachment 889082
Just seen this… they’re really taking this “service industry” comment to heart…

ALW is undeniably a dick and his actions were certainly uncalled for but the company really are out here thinking they’re better than whatever they think “the service industry” is…

this adds to the outward contempt we’ve been seeing from Carrie - it makes me quite uncomfortable seeing them all publicly biting the hand that feeds them, but perhaps I’m just overly cautious as I’d 100% be fired immediately if I something like this in my own job.
They clearly see themselves as better than the service industry. As many have said - most jobs are providing a service now. There’s no shame in it but clearly these actors think there is. I wonder if they consider themselves better than the front of house staff who are more obviously providing a service.

EmCheese

VIP Member
They literally do provide a service though 😂 they perform for an audience who pay to see them dance and act, I don’t see how that’s offensive 🤷🏻‍♀️

majestic26

VIP Member
I think Lucie Jones is a brilliant parallel to draw here. Someone with no official training, but someone who is constantly trying to better herself - she's acknowledged on her own socials that she still takes all sorts of lessons, she admitted that she's worked in service roles (👀) between jobs in theatre. Her career has gone from strength to strength, she's well-liked within the industry, has lots of friends and connections and now she's the next Elphaba. Will probably be the pinnacle of her career.

Compare and contrast with Carrie - goes back to the same old roles constantly, doesn't work to better or improve herself, is rapidly ageing out of the roles she's usually cast in, and is doing nothing to prepare herself for the next stage of her career. Got a big break with a legendary composer and has publicly put herself at odds with him. Can't stop falling into conflict on social media. Not well-liked in the industry. After Cinderella, her biggest roles will be behind her.

Edited to add that, while it may be unfair to compare these: Lucie Jones' husband is FIT ON TOAST, Oliver has serial killer eyes. As you were.

• Heart
  • Haha

on-toast91

Rant incoming: I’m a healthcare professional and was a care assistant before I did my degree. I would pay good money for Carrie to come and work a shift in a care home for a 12 hours on minimum wage. I’ve done 13.5 hour shifts before because of staffing issues without a break, and I’ve worked through illness due to no cover. I’m not saying this to humble brag. I just want to outline to people who don’t understand what it’s actually like to work physically and mentally demanding jobs for 12 hours a day, 4 days a week, not just for 2.5 hours when your in a show, and then have all the other stresses of working in a horrendously tough industry (I imagine retail, service work and other low pay high stress jobs are similar). Carrie, if you do lurk here, you are not hard done by in anyway when people tweet you when you’ve skipped another show for whatever reason. You are a hugely privileged person who is in the fortunate position of financial stability and is fortunate enough to be able to take sick leave when needed without being forced into work.

• Heart
Reactions: 30