Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Wobblehead

VIP Member
I haven't been following the kit mess, but saw an angry comment saying they got charged 3 times now they can't pay rent... Umm I'm not one to tell people how to spend their money, but if you barely have 4 digits in your bank account, you shouldn't be spending money on anything other than food and bills...
But you are telling someone how they should spend their money. The point made about the kit shit show is that people who budgeted for £190 to go out of their account were having far in excess taken and in one case £1600. Whatever your circumstances this should not happen. In the example you gave the person had nearly £400 extra taken which had affected her ability to pay rent which is not beyond the realms of a lot of peoples finances. Whether you could afford the extra money being taken out or not is irrelevant....it should not have happened. Caroline is the one at fault here on two accounts. 1 being the shit structure of the website and the other being her creating the rabid frenzy for the bloody kits in the first place.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 51

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I flicked through the book when I saw it in a store, it is honestly a copy and paste of the blog.

@rileysbunny that's a bit of an unfair and elitist comment. Someone had budgeted to spend £190 on the kit, that's what should have been taken out. The kit could have been a money saving idea on their part. You're honestly suggesting that people should never pay anything nice for themselves if they're not high earners and just buy food and rent? I'd think it would be silly if someone got a kit instead of paying bills but that's not what happened here. Regardless, whether you have 1k or 1 million in your bank account this should not have happened.

• Heart
Reactions: 48

Readread

VIP Member
Each to their own but some of the pictures she's uploaded are a little much. I'd be told off now in my late 20s for it from my Mum but Caroline likes them :ROFLMAO: She's not a regular Mom she's a cool Mom :oops:

147367103_194854889080888_915354849646295265_n.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47

tequila06

I haven't been following the kit mess, but saw an angry comment saying they got charged 3 times now they can't pay rent... Umm I'm not one to tell people how to spend their money, but if you barely have 4 digits in your bank account, you shouldn't be spending money on anything other than food and bills...
I don’t think that’s a fair comment. As someone said above, somebody purchased 1 kit and ended up with £1600 taken out of their account. I don’t know about your personal circumstances but after paying my mortgage, bills and buying food I don’t have a spare £1600 floating around. People may have budgeted and saved specifically for the kit launch, what they choose to spend their money on has absolutely nothing to do with anybody else. Regardless of anyone’s circumstances, if you buy ONE kit, you should be charged for one.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

Stonecatlin

Where TH did I say what happened was okay? Kindly point it out for me, bc clearly your hatred of Caroline Hirons is blinding you so much that you think every comment that isn't directly bashing her is somehow in defense of her. You're hating her so much you're becoming her. I can have an opinion on irresponsible purchase behavior while not defending CH's mishandling of the situation, you do know these aren't mutually exclusive, right?

We're living in debt economy, especially in developed countries where good/decent social benefits are enabling people to make horrendous financial decisions every single day. "Affordability" is relative, but should we really be encouraging people to budget their lives one month at a time?

And what's with the hypocrisy? One minute you wanna call out people for buying skincare they don't need, the next minute "people have the right to spend hundreds to spoil themselves even though they can barely afford rent". Do you even hear yourselves?
Hi @rileysbunny
I don't think anyone assumed you were in support of CH, more that you insinuated that unless you have excess of £1000 in your bank account at any given moment you should not spend anything other than the bare minimum to survive. I've highlighted the parts of your comment that I found that correlate the the comments you quoted.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I’ve just found this thread.

Long story short, I discovered the Beautymouth blog in early 2012, I’m oily and acne/spot prone, followed her advice (skincare, diet, supplements) religiously, developed full blown acne, acne didn’t improve at all, persisted for years with her advice and following her word as gospel (because honestly I was young and naïve and trusted her advice), went on the pill to try and avoid scarring as I had moderate/severe acne, acne subsided to persistent spottiness, came back after coming off the pill, started using really basic AF fragrance free, barrier supporting skincare routine and some hardcore actives (adapalene, azelaic acid, benzoyl peroxide, BHA gel), and my skin has never been better. I get 3-4 spots A MONTH (!!!!!!) Skin has now been clear for 2 years.

Whilst I fully agree there is so much that can contribute to acne and not just a simple answer and most of the info on her acne cheat sheet is really helpful, I feel pretty mugged off about her not addressing using prescription strength actives to treat acne (like retinoids, azelaic acid...is this because at high strengths they are prescription only? She mentions prescription strength for "anti-aging" so I wonder whether she doesn't mention it for acne because of it being more of a medical condition?), her preference of salicylic acid toners over benzoyl peroxide for acne, her stance on mineral oil (it’s the most inert occlusive ever and it’s saving my skin from irritation from the hardcore actives I am using), her blasé blog post about Differin and one paragraph info on how to use it with no mention of buffering, protecting delicate areas with heavy occlusives, working up to using a full dose, using a “thin layer” - HOW MUCH IS A THIN LAYER?! Her attitude that she doesn’t need to wear SPF daily, her attitude that the sun cleared her acne.

I used to love her blog and I have found some really fantastic products because of her. No longer use a lot of them as I try to stick with fragrance free. I purchased one of her kits in 2017 maybe? It had Zelens Power D in it (what I really wanted it for!)

She mentioned the freaks FB group in a video or on Insta or something and I felt really left out. I felt like, hey, I’m a loyal subscriber who’s followed you for years and hearing her talk about her Freaks group getting early access to info I felt really mugged off. I joined the group in mid 2018 and I commented on peoples’ posts with advice a few times, I got fed up with people asking basic questions and not looking on the blog first which a simple search could have told them the information they sought. Now I just feel exasperated at how much the freaks group worship her and the mob mentality.

I feel as though Caroline has really changed in the kind of content she is putting out. She doesn’t post any content that I find interesting any more. I used to live for her cheat sheets and I feel like all that she posts is ads and info about her kits. I also sometimes struggle with the way she talks about herself and the team she works with (My team – should it not be the team I work with?) I really struggle when anyone talks about “my people” or “my team”. They are not “yours”, they work with you and support you.

I bought a Bondi Sands facial SPF on her recommendation and it’s the worst SPF I've ever used. Heavy, greasy, sticky, despite the post saying it’s none of those. I’ve gone back to look and the post is an AD, shocker.

During the time she was really pushing Beauty Backed, she made a few comments that really made me angry, about how we should all be queueing up when the salons reopen to make sure the beauty industry doesn’t collapse. I’m sorry – I can’t afford to because I'm self-employed in a completely different industry and I’ve lost about 70% of my income and I'm ineligible for any kind of government support. Whilst I completely agree that it seemed ridiculous that pubs were allowed to open and salons were not, I felt like there was a complete lack of tact and consideration for other industries also struggling to keep up business due to Covid-19.

Sorry, rant over.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

TriviaNewtonJohn

VIP Member
There is a difference between spending £190 and having £1,600 taken from your account though. I'm not sure many people would be comfortable spending £1,410 more than they intended to in a month. I don't hate CH at all I just think she's overly aggressive and the majority of the Freaks group are terrifyingly devoted to her.

Reactions: 38

mindlessness

VIP Member
Someone could have saved and planned for 200 to go out for a kit, and made sure there was still enough for rent.

• Heart
Reactions: 37

Blahblahbuzzy

Hahaha total kitshow.

I also keep thinking that if this kitshow had happened to another company and it had been brought to Caroline's attention, Caroline would have gone totally berserk, fewmin on the customer's behalf on her stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: 36

Hogarthian

Hello, I’m new here, and pleased I found it. I’ve been following this woman, off and on, for years.... mainly because I love muttering profanities under my breath at her. I have SO much to say about her, and the current ‘kitgate’ she finds herself in, but I’ll settle for this. She has fostered that ‘coolest girl in school’ image really well. Her little freaks are behaving like they lent her their ruler and she broke it, they’re a bit sad but it doesn’t really matter because lending it to her was a privilege and an honour. Not one of the f***ers seems to be able to acknowledge that she’s running a f***ing business, she has zero respect for them, and had any other company of this size taken multiple payments from people, kept the money for days, shut down communication, and deleted the comments of the dissenters, they’d be in the news. It absolutely f***ing beggars belief. I requested to join her freaks fb group 3 days ago so I can piss myself of even more. Anyway, glad to be here 🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 35

Cleopops

Chatty Member
I know the following info ONLY because CH has shared it on her NON PRIVATE IG multiple times,
The names and faces of her children, grandchild and husband and what they all do for a living
The fact her husband is vulnerable and that she is in a childcare 'bubble' (which I was under the impression was meant to be for urgent childcare currently, so only if a parent couldn't work, and that doesn't mean posting videos of that months empty face washes, or needed to access essential care etc, NOT so that grandma can see the baby, my own children haven't seen their grandparents for nearly a year now 😢 I haven't seen my dad for over a year as we live in a high risk area)
Her children are mixing with other people, and she clearly doesn't give a fuck, because of fuckwits like this I cannot currently work,and my children cannot go to school which as time goes on I can see the serious impact its having on their mental wellbeing
she lives in Fulham (Central London)
what half of her house looks like because she openly posts stories from there.
her kids are all on IG, she tags them so this isn't difficult to work out
My point is I haven't had to search for any of this info, its ALL openly shared by the Queen herself regularly, and now that things maybe are turning a little sour she suddenly realises it might not be the best idea to be sharing all of this?she is an absolute fucking buffoon

• Heart
  • Angry

Peachykeen21xo

Hi, a little lurker here - this thread is tame compared to the others so I think it’s ok to post (I don’t typically like engaging in chat that talks bad about others, especially looks/weight etc. As you never know what’s going on in people’s lives) but, I believe this whole situation kit wise is beyond a joke.

I’ve been following CH for a while now and at first I was really getting into it - I’ve always LOVED skincare anyway, but I was introduced to her book and I read it all. However, one day I decided to search for her name on this site during the whole kitshow and it opened my eyes. I now see the group completely differently! The whole kitshow thing is absolutely shocking - to echo what others have said here, if that had happened with any other company, people would be straight on Twitter complaining and demanding partial refunds whatever, £200 is a lot of money and especially for those who temporarily lost out on £1000+ at no fault of their own. It’s a cult, a genuine cult - it’s terrifying.

There’s also some very nasty people on that group, they’re like a pack of lions on a poor gazelle whenever someone says something ‘wrong’ on that site. You can’t say anything. I once saw a post regarding cleansing routines and one reply was something along the lines of ‘not washing your face in the AM will not be tolerated in this group’ - I beg your pardon. Tolerated? These people are grown adults and if someone wishes to not wash their face in the AM then so be it!

Another thing that baffled me in the book was the part where CH said ‘I could legally give you Botox but I don’t want to’ (something along those lines), pardon? You cannot - A. you’re not a medical professional (?) and B. You don’t have a prescribers licence. ????? I wish I could post gifs because the faces I’m pulling as I’m writing this are indescribable.
I’m just shocked at the entire situation, I’ve got a monthly subscription for popcorn just for this site and the fb page alone.

• Haha
  • Heart

barmj

Chatty Member
Did anyone see this post? It’s not that deep!! Just get your dad a basic cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen, god alive. There was a picture too and his skin looked fine enough, and doesn’t seem the type to faff about with skincare. I doubt he cares that much! Stop forcing your cultish obsession onto your 74 year old dad???

Imagine being a bloke in his 70s being presented with a shite skincare book “authored” by a bad mannered gobby shill and a bunch of TO products 😩😩

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 34

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I just hate the posts where people say they loved a product for years until they found CH and now never touch it. WHY. It doesn’t make any sense.
Yes that is particularly barmy - 'I had been using Olay for years (sorry Queen 🤭 😩) and my skin is really good for my age, but since reading all you lovely lots recommendations I have invested in £500 worth of product I can ill afford and have no idea how to use. I love this group!!!!'

• Haha
  • Sad
My kit arrived this morning, somewhere in the hour DPD had said it would. I exchanged quick pleasantries with the driver and he went on his way. My husband doesn't give a flying f what I purchase with my own hard earned money. There was zero drama. Clearly I don't belong in the freaks group 😳

• Haha

Sln2404

I just want my effin kit. You’ve had my £180 for almost 2 weeks. Never experienced anything like it.

• Angry
  • Wow

Curio

Chatty Member
Re Gigi Hadid - is CH’s point that people shouldn’t buy a load of expensive skincare based on a figurehead promoting it for money-making purposes vs making sensible choices on a few relevant items? Because, erm....

• Haha
Reactions: 33

Readread

VIP Member
Didn’t she go to beauty college? Can’t she do it herself? Or better yet, get her Mother that is apparently qualified in every single beauty treatment under the sun and knows more than a brain surgeon, to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: 33