Caroline Flack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Firstly to be sectioned you have to be very very unwell (though she sounds like she was) and you need to have understanding of the system as it sounds like perhaps she was fooling people into thinking she was fine. When you’ve seen it once I think it’s easy to say to professionals that what they are seeing is an act but it may have been everyone’s first time with someone who needs urgent mental health treatment. Regarding the charges, I have worked in criminal law and to be fit for interview simply means you need to be of sound mind to understand the questions, the nature of the crime you’ve been arrested for and be able to answer questions. Again if you know the system as soon as you call 999 and say you’ve been assaulted in a domestic incident the power is taken out of you’re hands. I have had partners begging officers to ‘drop the charges’ but it is indeed in the public interest to pursue it because if they didn’t and she had killed him massive questions would be raised. As soon as he said she’d assaulted him in a call that’s all the evidence they need for a conviction, that and bodycam footage. Lots of abusers have serious mental health issues, maybe this was a one off but could the police chance it when it’s their job to protect people have been heavily criticised in the past?? She should have been sectioned as soon as they saw the self harm injuries but the system is on its knees and unless you know how to work it they’ll treat you at home.
It’s very very difficult to get somebody sectioned these days. My close relative stabbed him self in the face, tried to jump off a bridge, walked down the middle of a busy road trying to get himself knocked over and he BEGGED multiple times for the psychiatric ward to admit him and they wouldn’t. I had to sit with him in front of his doctor and beg on his behalf, it wasn’t until I started saying is this now the cheapest solution to dealing with MH issues - suicide - that he got on the phone and we finally got him admitted. If CF was trying to mask or play down her MH issues it would have been easy for her to evade the help she clearly needed.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Strange that these z listers who are gushing "be kind" didn't seem to be around for her when she was going through the worst of this scandal she was embroiled in. I believe Russell Brand persuaded her to get away to LA and get some therapy which she did but nobody else seemed to stand by her. She had a non celeb with her the day she died so she must have been a loyal friend, I wonder if CF persuaded her to go out and do some shopping for her so that she could kill herself?
I think she would have persuaded her friend to pop out. If she had already decided that she was going to end her life she would have made sure that she found the opportunity to do so. I'm sure she was very convincing in reassuring her friend that she would be fine for a short time. I feel so terribly sorry for all those she left behind but I don't think anybody could have saved her in the end. What a sad situation. I'm not excusing any of her behaviour previously and she did need to face up to it, but, I think she was far more damaged than we'll ever know.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
It’s very very difficult to get somebody sectioned these days. My close relative stabbed him self in the face, tried to jump off a bridge, walked down the middle of a busy road trying to get himself knocked over and he BEGGED multiple times for the psychiatric ward to admit him and they wouldn’t. I had to sit with him in front of his doctor and beg on his behalf, it wasn’t until I started saying is this now the cheapest solution to dealing with MH issues - suicide - that he got on the phone and we finally got him admitted. If CF was trying to mask or play down her MH issues it would have been easy for her to evade the help she clearly needed.
I know. It is horrendous. And seeing one social media the way some people who were meant to be her friends using this to somehow benefit themselves is absolutely disgusting, the pt is basically selling his services through this. Stephanie Davis May want to help but doing public interviews etc? I wonder what her sister with children thinks of all of that. It’s awful.

Reactions: 3
It is really annoying me what the press are writing about this case. There would have been no jury and there’s absolutely no way she was going to prison (I also work in criminal law). And if she was told either of those things maybe she had awful representation! It’s so so sad.
How do you know....was there drugs involved? a weapon? alcohol? do we know?

I was rather surprised to hear Denise Welch on Lose Women (have not watched the show since 2014 it’s dreadful) say that Caroline flack was struggling with drink. Is this a fact? Has that ever been a point of discussion ? I also noted that Jane Moore is wearing her Sun journalist head and is having none of the MSM are to blame as she says there are stringent laws on what you can and can’t report

Reactions: 4
How do you know....was there drugs involved? a weapon? alcohol? do we know?
I don’t think we know that. But they’re quoting it as assault.battery is what is known as a summary only offence (can only be heard in a magistrates court) and Abh is what’s called an either way offence (can be heard in either) . A judge could decide it’s too serious to be heard in a magistrates court but doubtful, no previous convictions, mental health problems, a judge wouldn’t have handed her a custodial sentence though abh can result in a custodial sentence but not when you’re a first time offender. Just from what I’ve seen in my job I have no knowledge pf details of the particular case. I just feel so sad for her and can see if she had serious mental health problems the legal system would be terrifying.

Reactions: 3
^^this. Absolutely.

This was no one else's fault. Not her employers, not her friends or family. It's easy to blame someone, anyone. But that's not fair.

Yes maybe some of the reporting around the charges was too intrusive, too inflammatory. But if the alternative is it gets swept under the carpet...that's no better. Should the press not have reported it because it was 'probably' a one off and she didn't mean it?

The alleged DV incident was reported not by a nosy or prying neighbour, but by her boyfriend. In that moment he was worried enough for his safety to phone 999. I don't think this was just her throwing an item in his direction in temper. Let's not minimise violent actions under this blanket of being kind.
Sadly that’s what happens with suicide, it becomes a blame game. The guilt and grief is unbearable and people are looking for answers. In most instances it is too painful to look inward at your own possible shortcomings so pointing the finger elsewhere, anywhere but yourself is easier. So terribly sad for her and her family.

• Sad
I cannot like this post enough.

No one should bother wasting their time signing a petition from Stefanie davis. She's calling for the media to be banned. She courts fame and is a walking disaster.
If she wants to live somewhere without a free and fair press I'll donate for her to move to north Korea.
The internet is full of basic people being critical of the crown prosecution service and things they have no clue about. Leave it to the professionals. Thank god the average itv2 viewer doesn't run the country.

Reactions: 9
Sadly that’s what happens with suicide, it becomes a blame game. The guilt and grief is unbearable and people are looking for answers. In most instances it is too painful to look inward at your own possible shortcomings so pointing the finger elsewhere, anywhere but yourself is easier. So terribly sad for her and her family.
She was clearly very ill long before she was charged with a crime. She probably needed hospitalisation and intense treatment. It does make me cross as though people talking about mental health is great, there’s absolutely no understanding of serious mental health problems. Her suicide was probably (as I didn’t see her state of mind) far from a choice. I’ve seen a close relative suffer from bipolar disorder and he doesn’t remember his psychotic or very low periods at all, it wasn’t ‘him’ choosing to do anything it was his very ill mind. No amount of ‘be kind’ or talking would have helped him at that point. At that point they just need hospitalisation to be safe, if only someone would have enforced this. So so sad.

Reactions: 8
I have a friend, (an old school friend who I reconnected with), who vanished from Facebook sometime ago. To this day I still worry about the reasons why. He was a prolific poster and always great fun but just vanished. I have no means of contacting him but still worry he's ok.
I feel a bit bad reading this-I came off fb over a year ago but still have messenger and a couple of people messaged if I was ok. I know there may be some people out there a bit worried but also I would never do a ‘goodbye fb’ post so I look the same as your friend-that I’ve just disappeared 😕

That was so lovely of my friends to check and I told them I was, however really was feeling a bit down and was tired of seeing animal abuse posts or pictures of perfect houses/lives-I was rarely seeing ‘normal’ stuff anymore. Never felt better for coming off it!

I think cps obvious needed to go ahead, no one gets a free pass due to fame. But, I enjoyed watching Caroline on love island, especially aftersun and she seemed to have such a good laugh on it especially with people like Russell Kane. Who knows what went on but to hazard a guess the case coming up, knowing the absolute hammering in the press she’d get, drink and maybe drugs. Both tit for our bodies and brains (believe me I know the downers, now stopped) but hate to think of anyone, anywhere in such despair that their only peace will come from ending their life. Very sad

I only had the barest knowledge of Caroline Flack, never watched Love Island and haven't seen X Factor in a decade. A cursory google told me she was on antidepressants immediately after Strictly which was what, five years ago? She said she had horrific trouble getting off them and I believe her having been stuck on them years ago and becoming suicidal whilst on them. A very little known fact about these pills is they can actually cause the very thing they are designed to stop, suicidal ideation. I wonder if she was on them at the time of her death. But aside from that, she clearly seemed troubled for a long time and was, perhaps more than the threat of prison, terrified of the publicity surrounding the Police body cam footage, knowing it would be in the public domain forever if it was shown.

As for all the hooha about blaming the press and trolls, aye right! These celebs live for clicks and likes, they cannot then try to shut up the press when the craved for publicity shows up their negative behaviour. Of course it's tragic she took her life but it's not the press or social media to blame for that.

Reactions: 5
I really liked her, watched her for years. She was bright, articulate, funny, talented, presented with such ease, nothing was forced. She was also very relatable, had problems like we all have. The DV thing we really do not fully understand, and won’t now there is no court case. But just for comparison Geoffrey Boycott is getting a knighthood....

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Wow. Her PT is still posting stuff.
“We all know how gorgeous she was for a woman of her age”
He’s also implying she told him a lot of stuff. What is his agenda??

He needs to stop. Seriously, her family don’t need this shite written about her.
He’s obviously in shock but needs to have bit more decorum. Although seems v young.

Agenda is probably promoting his business, harsh but....

Reactions: 2
She's feasting on it all and loving the attention. Why does she say she's going to parliament? She's dreaming of the press she'll get going to Westminster and all the interviews she's booking thanks to this.
I couldn’t believe that Duncan Barkes in BBC London gave airtime to this last night. The producers need to do more in depth research into her (Stephanie) history of DV.

I really liked her, watched her for years. She was bright, articulate, funny, talented, presented with such ease, nothing was forced. She was also very relatable, had problems like we all have. The DV thing we really do not fully understand, and won’t now there is no court case. But just for comparison Geoffrey Boycott is getting a knighthood....
Yes and our now Prime Minister has the police called on him in the same circumstances back in June/July and the same papers that found any excuse lately to create a story about CF inlcuding pap photos and that horrible greetings card are the same papers that put BJ in number 10.

Reactions: 7
Wow. Her PT is still posting stuff.
“We all know how gorgeous she was for a woman of her age”
He’s also implying she told him a lot of stuff. What is his agenda??

He needs to stop. Seriously, her family don’t need this shite written about her.
He’s talking about the importance of exercise on mental health... no doubt he’ll do a few TV interviews or talks about this, the result being money and exposure.

Reactions: 1
(Please don’t take this like I am asking for attention or making it about myself because that’s not my intention, I’m just using myself as an example)

I tried to commit suicide when I was 15. In that moment you make sure you’re alone and that people won’t find you until it’s too late.
I did a night where my mum was out and my dad went out to the pub.
I ended up not taking enough pills to kill me just enough to make me pass out and then throw up later on.

It doesn’t matter really how many people reach out or talk to you in that moment as you still feel alone and hated and worthless. Even to this day (10 years later), I contemplate suicide and struggle day in day out. I’ve reached out for help many a time from professionals and friends and family. Some care but they don’t know what to do.

But I guarantee to you more people care once you’re gone than care to support you whilst your alive.

The things that Caroline Flack has been through recently and previously are awful and no one should suffer this way.

I’ve read the article posted by the moderators of this site and to be honest they’ve hit the nail on the head. Brilliant piece. These influencers will take advantage of anything they can for a bit of money or a freebie.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
I concur. Very relatable. I remember watching her on strictly and rooting for her to win. She could sometimes look so sad and fragile during those dance routines snd felt the music passionately

Reactions: 5
I haven't got the time to read the whole thread right now - I have read some and I will read it all at some point - but I just wanted to share what I wrote on Facebook yesterday morning (which took me a bloody long time to write)

I was shocked and saddened to hear about Caroline Flack taking her own life. I loved her on Strictly and wanted her to win from the minute I first saw 'that' Charleston but I hated the fact that she fronted a show like Love Island - the whole premise to me is just repugnant and fuelling this narcissistic world we appear to be living in. I feel as conflicted about her death.

But I am seeing a lot of comments on here and elsewhere blaming social media trolls/the press/the CPS and that, in my opinion, is just far, far too simplistic.

Caroline Flack was a troubled woman. She struggled with depression, which she had talked about often. I have absolutely no doubt she was self medicating with alcohol and illegal drugs.

She had also been charged with a serious domestic assault. From what was already said in court, as the prosecution outlined their case (which they then have to go on prove) she attacked her sleeping boyfriend with a lamp after going through his phone. She had to be physically restrained on the ground by the police. She then flipped over a table at the police station. There was also a very possible suicide attempt at that time as she was found with lacerations to her wrist. I have no doubt she was worried about what would come out at the trial next month and that she was concerned about her future TV career if she was found guilty.

The CPS - the victim in the case, her boyfriend, didn't support the prosecution and was very vocal about his unhappiness that they were banned from seeing or contacting each other including on social media (which they both chose to openly flout) But that is standard practise in domestic abuse cases. Two women a week in this country are murdered by their partners/ex-partners. I've followed enough domestic abuse murder trials to state as fact that it usually it turns out there were many reported (and unreported) incidents over the years and many chances to save them. Lots of victims of domestic abuse and/or coercive control don't support prosecutions for obvious reasons but that is why the CPS push forward with such cases - to try and save lives. According to her management team, the CPS should have dropped the case because Caroline Flack was 'vulnerable'. Ludicrous. That's not the way the law works in this country. The CPS are not to blame here. And it shouldn't be ANY different when the alleged abuser is a woman. Abuse is abuse.

Social media "trolls" - this is a hard one for me because, being interested in the celebrity world for well over twenty years, I have a lot to say and I do comment on online forums and news sites. That said, personally, I have never and would never leave a negative comment on a famous person's social media account no matter how much I want to call them out. That, to me, feels like crossing a line. The word "troll" has been bandied around for a while now with a lot of the bigger accounts on Instagram using it very effectively to whip up sympathy, create content, increase their followers and get themselves in the press - all of which is very lucrative for them. If someone has a negative opinion, that differs from yours, that does not make them a troll. Nor does expressing that negative opinion. But purposefully going after someone directly on social media and being disgusting to them does. But there is always the option of closing your social media accounts if it is getting too much for you.

The press - again, this is a hard one because I do read online media, particularly about celebrities, because it interests me. I'm pretty shallow like that. But, to my mind, if you choose to live your life in the public eye, the media are part of the deal whether you like it or not - it's the trade off for the vast wealth and endless freebies, holidays, fancy clothes, red carpets and opportunities of a lifetime that come with being a celebrity. Were they harder on Caroline Flack because she's a woman? I don't think so. A presenter on one of the biggest shows on TV arrested and charged with domestic assault was always going to be a huge story, male or female, and one the press would go after hard because people are interested and, bottom line, it sells papers/generates clicks online.

Caroline Flack was the epitome of a walking contradiction. On the surface - attractive, funny, lively and entertaining. Look deeper - depressed, troubled and something of a lost soul. Under the influence - insecure, jealous, paranoid, irrational and violent. She was complex. Suicide is complex. And no one really knows what was going through her mind when she took the terrible decision that she did. So, unless she left a note stating that the press and social media were why she was taking this way out, it's just too much of a leap for me to say they were solely to blame when she had a lot of other pretty heavy tit going on.

I feel a real mixture of emotions right now. I'm so sad that she felt like this was her only option and that she couldn't get her life together but it just feels wrong for me to pay a public tribute to someone facing the kind of charges she was so I will simply leave you with her Charleston ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.