Caroline Flack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Firstly to be sectioned you have to be very very unwell (though she sounds like she was) and you need to have understanding of the system as it sounds like perhaps she was fooling people into thinking she was fine. When you’ve seen it once I think it’s easy to say to professionals that what they are seeing is an act but it may have been everyone’s first time with someone who needs urgent mental health treatment. Regarding the charges, I have worked in criminal law and to be fit for interview simply means you need to be of sound mind to understand the questions, the nature of the crime you’ve been arrested for and be able to answer questions. Again if you know the system as soon as you call 999 and say you’ve been assaulted in a domestic incident the power is taken out of you’re hands. I have had partners begging officers to ‘drop the charges’ but it is indeed in the public interest to pursue it because if they didn’t and she had killed him massive questions would be raised. As soon as he said she’d assaulted him in a call that’s all the evidence they need for a conviction, that and bodycam footage. Lots of abusers have serious mental health issues, maybe this was a one off but could the police chance it when it’s their job to protect people have been heavily criticised in the past?? She should have been sectioned as soon as they saw the self harm injuries but the system is on its knees and unless you know how to work it they’ll treat you at home.
Thanks for the explanation. Have guidelines and practices been strengthened regarding DV?

Reactions: 1
It’s very sad and she was obviously in a bad place. If you look at her last Instagram post she looks like she’s under the influence of something. I wished she had got help but I hate that people are going to use her death to say that the Police shouldn’t proceed with convictions when the victims withdraw their statements. Domestic violence is so dangerous and action needs to be taken whether the victim supports it or not.
An why so you think she “looked under the influence of something”?? We’re is that coming from ? All I see is a beautiful lady looking happy with her dog , Jesus Christ the bullshit people come out with an you wonder why tit happens , that has got to be one of the most pathetic things I’ve read today

Reactions: 2
An why so you think she “looked under the influence of something”?? We’re is that coming from ? All I see is a beautiful lady looking happy with her dog , Jesus Christ the bullshit people come out with an you wonder why tit happens , that has got to be one of the most pathetic things I’ve read today
Look at her pupils - it's obvious. And I've never taken an illegal drug in my life but I know what cocaine does to your eyes.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
She was clearly very ill long before she was charged with a crime. She probably needed hospitalisation and intense treatment. It does make me cross as though people talking about mental health is great, there’s absolutely no understanding of serious mental health problems. Her suicide was probably (as I didn’t see her state of mind) far from a choice. I’ve seen a close relative suffer from bipolar disorder and he doesn’t remember his psychotic or very low periods at all, it wasn’t ‘him’ choosing to do anything it was his very ill mind. No amount of ‘be kind’ or talking would have helped him at that point. At that point they just need hospitalisation to be safe, if only someone would have enforced this. So so sad.
Agree - terribly sad.

I haven't got the time to read the whole thread right now - I have read some and I will read it at some point - but I just wanted to share what I wrote on Facebook yesterday morning (which took me a bloody long time to write)

I was shocked and saddened to hear about Caroline Flack taking her own life. I loved her on Strictly and wanted her to win from the minute I first saw 'that' Charleston but I hated the fact that she fronted a show like Love Island - the whole premise to me is just repugnant and fuelling this narcissistic world we appear to be living in. I feel as conflicted about her death.

But I am seeing a lot of comments on here and elsewhere blaming social media trolls/the press/the CPS and that, in my opinion, is just far, far too simplistic.

Caroline Flack was a troubled woman. She struggled with depression, which she had talked about often. I have absolutely no doubt she was self medicating with alcohol and illegal drugs.

She had also been charged with a serious domestic assault. From what was already said in court, as the prosecution outlined their case (which they then have to go on prove) she attacked her sleeping boyfriend with a lamp after going through his phone. She had to be physically restrained on the ground by the police. She then flipped over a table at the police station. There was also a very possible suicide attempt at that time as she was found with lacerations to her wrist. I have no doubt she was worried about what would come out at the trial next month and that she was concerned about her future TV career if she was found guilty.

The CPS - the victim in the case, her boyfriend, didn't support the prosecution and was very vocal about his unhappiness that they were banned from seeing or contacting each other including on social media (which they both chose to openly flout) But that is standard practise in domestic abuse cases. Two women a week in this country are murdered by their partners/ex-partners. I've followed enough domestic abuse murder trials to state as fact that it usually it turns out there were many reported (and unreported) incidents over the years and many chances to save them. Lots of victims of domestic abuse and/or coercive control don't support prosecutions for obvious reasons but that is why the CPS push forward with such cases - to try and save lives. According to her management team, the CPS should have dropped the case because Caroline Flack was 'vulnerable'. Ludicrous. That's not the way the law works in this country. The CPS are not to blame here. And it shouldn't be ANY different when the alleged abuser is a woman. Abuse is abuse.

Social media "trolls" - this is a hard one for me because, being interested in the celebrity world for well over twenty years, I have a lot to say and I do comment on online forums and news sites. That said, personally, I have never and would never leave a negative comment on a famous person's social media account no matter how much I want to call them out. That, to me, feels like crossing a line. The word "troll" has been bandied around for a while now with a lot of the bigger accounts on Instagram using it very effectively to whip up sympathy, create content, increase their followers and get themselves in the press - all of which is very lucrative for them. If someone has a negative opinion, that differs from yours, that does not make them a troll. Nor does expressing that negative opinion. But purposefully going after someone directly on social media and being disgusting to them does. But there is always the option of closing your social media accounts if it is getting too much for you.

The press - again, this is a hard one because I do read online media, particularly about celebrities, because it interests me. I'm pretty shallow like that. But, to my mind, if you choose to live your life in the public eye, the media are part of the deal whether you like it or not - it's the trade off for the vast wealth and endless freebies, holidays, fancy clothes, red carpets and opportunities of a lifetime that come with being a celebrity. Were they harder on Caroline Flack because she's a woman? I don't think so. A presenter on one of the biggest shows on TV arrested and charged with domestic assault was always going to be a huge story, male or female, and one the press would go after hard because people are interested and, bottom line, it sells papers/generates clicks online.

Caroline Flack was the epitome of a walking contradiction. On the surface - attractive, funny, lively and entertaining. Look deeper - depressed, troubled and something of a lost soul. Under the influence - insecure, jealous, paranoid, irrational and violent. She was complex. Suicide is complex. And no one really knows what was going through her mind when she took the terrible decision that she did. So, unless she left a note stating that the press and social media were why she was taking this way out, it's just too much of a leap for me to say they were solely to blame when she had a lot of other pretty heavy tit going on.

I feel a real mixture of emotions right now. I'm so sad that she felt like this was her only option and that she couldn't get her life together but it just feels wrong for me to pay a public tribute to someone facing the kind of charges she was so I will simply leave you with her Charleston ❤

Oh thanks for putting that up. She was amazing ❤❤

(Please don’t take this like I am asking for attention or making it about myself because that’s not my intention, I’m just using myself as an example)

I tried to commit suicide when I was 15. In that moment you make sure you’re alone and that people won’t find you until it’s too late.
I did a night where my mum was out and my dad went out to the pub.
I ended up not taking enough pills to kill me just enough to make me pass out and then throw up later on.

It doesn’t matter really how many people reach out or talk to you in that moment as you still feel alone and hated and worthless. Even to this day (10 years later), I contemplate suicide and struggle day in day out. I’ve reached out for help many a time from professionals and friends and family. Some care but they don’t know what to do.

But I guarantee to you more people care once you’re gone than care to support you whilst your alive.

The things that Caroline Flack has been through recently and previously are awful and no one should suffer this way.

I’ve read the article posted by the moderators of this site and to be honest they’ve hit the nail on the head. Brilliant piece. These influencers will take advantage of anything they can for a bit of money or a freebie.
Thank you for your post, and I hope you never get to that point again.

The be kind thing is really getting on my tits now. It's so ignorant to even sugguest the simple act of being kind can cure mental health conditions or reverse those feelings of utter despair. Yeah being kind is nice but will it pull someone from the deepest pits of depression? Maybe lessen those severe anxiety attacks when a person can't even bring themselves to leave the house

Mental health is so misunderstood you'd never hear this tit if say a celebrity died of uncontrolled diabetes. Ah if only we'd all have been kinder we could have stopped that fatal hypo! Physical conditions. Medical treatment to cure or manage. Mental health. Let's just all be nice. Everyone sharing the bullshit can duck right off

Reactions: 23
Look at her pupils - it's obvious. And I've never taken an illegal drug in my life but I know what cocaine does to your eyes.
It’s not “obvious” .... Ive never taken drugs either but I am a support worker for drug addicts have been for years and I also know the effects of which drug has on the pupils am sorry but I beg to differ all I see is the light shining in her eyes , an to “pressume” she was on coke is just ridiculous, but your allowed your opinion I just think it’s a stupid one and beg to differ

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh for gods sake , speculation at its best
Lol. “I’ve never done drugs but I’ve watched enough soaps to know that it makes your pupils dilate.” That is pure speculation and a very basic assumption that is the cause of all of this tit stirring around what actually happened to Caroline.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I haven't got the time to read the whole thread right now - I have read some and I will read it all at some point - but I just wanted to share what I wrote on Facebook yesterday morning (which took me a bloody long time to write)

I was shocked and saddened to hear about Caroline Flack taking her own life. I loved her on Strictly and wanted her to win from the minute I first saw 'that' Charleston but I hated the fact that she fronted a show like Love Island - the whole premise to me is just repugnant and fuelling this narcissistic world we appear to be living in. I feel as conflicted about her death.

But I am seeing a lot of comments on here and elsewhere blaming social media trolls/the press/the CPS and that, in my opinion, is just far, far too simplistic.

Caroline Flack was a troubled woman. She struggled with depression, which she had talked about often. I have absolutely no doubt she was self medicating with alcohol and illegal drugs.

She had also been charged with a serious domestic assault. From what was already said in court, as the prosecution outlined their case (which they then have to go on prove) she attacked her sleeping boyfriend with a lamp after going through his phone. She had to be physically restrained on the ground by the police. She then flipped over a table at the police station. There was also a very possible suicide attempt at that time as she was found with lacerations to her wrist. I have no doubt she was worried about what would come out at the trial next month and that she was concerned about her future TV career if she was found guilty.

The CPS - the victim in the case, her boyfriend, didn't support the prosecution and was very vocal about his unhappiness that they were banned from seeing or contacting each other including on social media (which they both chose to openly flout) But that is standard practise in domestic abuse cases. Two women a week in this country are murdered by their partners/ex-partners. I've followed enough domestic abuse murder trials to state as fact that it usually it turns out there were many reported (and unreported) incidents over the years and many chances to save them. Lots of victims of domestic abuse and/or coercive control don't support prosecutions for obvious reasons but that is why the CPS push forward with such cases - to try and save lives. According to her management team, the CPS should have dropped the case because Caroline Flack was 'vulnerable'. Ludicrous. That's not the way the law works in this country. The CPS are not to blame here. And it shouldn't be ANY different when the alleged abuser is a woman. Abuse is abuse.

Social media "trolls" - this is a hard one for me because, being interested in the celebrity world for well over twenty years, I have a lot to say and I do comment on online forums and news sites. That said, personally, I have never and would never leave a negative comment on a famous person's social media account no matter how much I want to call them out. That, to me, feels like crossing a line. The word "troll" has been bandied around for a while now with a lot of the bigger accounts on Instagram using it very effectively to whip up sympathy, create content, increase their followers and get themselves in the press - all of which is very lucrative for them. If someone has a negative opinion, that differs from yours, that does not make them a troll. Nor does expressing that negative opinion. But purposefully going after someone directly on social media and being disgusting to them does. But there is always the option of closing your social media accounts if it is getting too much for you.

The press - again, this is a hard one because I do read online media, particularly about celebrities, because it interests me. I'm pretty shallow like that. But, to my mind, if you choose to live your life in the public eye, the media are part of the deal whether you like it or not - it's the trade off for the vast wealth and endless freebies, holidays, fancy clothes, red carpets and opportunities of a lifetime that come with being a celebrity. Were they harder on Caroline Flack because she's a woman? I don't think so. A presenter on one of the biggest shows on TV arrested and charged with domestic assault was always going to be a huge story, male or female, and one the press would go after hard because people are interested and, bottom line, it sells papers/generates clicks online.

Caroline Flack was the epitome of a walking contradiction. On the surface - attractive, funny, lively and entertaining. Look deeper - depressed, troubled and something of a lost soul. Under the influence - insecure, jealous, paranoid, irrational and violent. She was complex. Suicide is complex. And no one really knows what was going through her mind when she took the terrible decision that she did. So, unless she left a note stating that the press and social media were why she was taking this way out, it's just too much of a leap for me to say they were solely to blame when she had a lot of other pretty heavy tit going on.

I feel a real mixture of emotions right now. I'm so sad that she felt like this was her only option and that she couldn't get her life together but it just feels wrong for me to pay a public tribute to someone facing the kind of charges she was so I will simply leave you with her Charleston ❤

Really well written and sums up exactly how I feel about Caroline, influencers and the media.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Lol. I’ve never done drugs but I’ve watched enough soaps to know that it makes your pupils dilate. That is pure speculation and a very basic assumption.
Cocaine doesn’t dilate your pupils they increase in size

I think it’s ridiculous to speculate that Caroline was “on coke” whilst at home playing with her dog. Coke is a recreational drug that people use with friends to experience a momentary high. Yes, there is a chance she took that too far and was taking it as more than that, but I also think that it’s far more likely she was medicating via anti-depressants and drinking and that combination with poor mental health may have contributed to her death. It’s so naive to spread lies about her being “high on coke” and frankly makes you sound 15 years old 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I know. It is horrendous. And seeing one social media the way some people who were meant to be her friends using this to somehow benefit themselves is absolutely disgusting, the pt is basically selling his services through this. Stephanie Davis May want to help but doing public interviews etc? I wonder what her sister with children thinks of all of that. It’s awful.
Don't get me started on Steph Davis. I'm biting my tongue like crazy here.
Quite frankly she is revelling in this ... not in the death of course, but in comparing Caroline's mental health to hers and basically whining for attention on the back of this. She's a hypocritical idiot and had she ever addressed her own similar issues when they were at their peak and making lurid headlines she might be in a better place and more able to care for her child. She's another one (I'm not including CF on this) who thinks nothing is ever her fault and can't see she's the common denominator in all her car crash relationships.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think it’s ridiculous to speculate that Caroline was “on coke” whilst at home playing with her dog. Coke is a recreational drug that people use with friends to experience a momentary high. Yes, there is a chance she took that too far and was taking it as more than that, but I also think that it’s far more likely she was medicating via anti-depressants and drinking and that combination with poor mental health may have contributed to her death. It’s so naive to spread lies about her being “high on coke” and frankly makes you sound 15 years old 🙄
Well said luv x

Reactions: 3
I never liked Caroline, I can't deny it, but thought she looked just sad and somewhat thoughtful with her doggy.

From personal experience....... if you have caused a HEAD injury to another person then the police will arrest you and charge you regardless if that person (victim) wants to press charges or not; the CPS will then prosecute you. The victim has no say in it, because it is a HEAD injury.

However for one off 'lesser' injuries the police will try and handle it through restorative justice i.e you say you are sorry, didnt mean to do it and you will not do it again. If there is a history of violence and/or the head injury was 'bad' then the justice system will and does take over.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.