Carly Burd Salty Allotment #2 More red flags than Beijing on May Day.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know if this belongs here or on the Jack Monroe thread but this is a not for profit organisation which provides food parcels and meals in a bag to people in need: https://bagsoftaste.org/our-story/finances-funding/?

They have a proper constitution, governance structure and need to raise around £250,000 a year to keep going.

They must be infuriated by the Saint Carly stuff.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
She's spent 15 months setting up a company that could be done in an hour by a competent person. £250k in donations are unaccounted for. Her reaction to scrutiny is appalling. The service she is providing is unprofessional and demeaning to users. But because she has "done good" we're supposed to ignore all of that.

ETA: At the start of this I thought she was a well meaning idiot. But this isn't well meaning and it is worse than idiotic.
The problem is there's nowhere to report this stuff to that would result in a cascade of investigations and interventions. You can't go to wronguns.gov.uk to say "this person is probably:
  • failing in their safeguarding duties
  • committing GDPR offences
  • not handling donated food appropriately
  • misusing donated funds
  • and generally being a lemon"
thus sparking a chain reaction of reports to the various statutory bodies.

It’s a good idea you’ve got there. There’s ’tell us once’ for deaths after all….

Reactions: 5
What if Wanye's the one who salted the allotment in the first place, maybe he's playing the long game...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I don’t know if this belongs here or on the Jack Monroe thread but this is a not for profit organisation which provides food parcels and meals in a bag to people in need: https://bagsoftaste.org/our-story/finances-funding/?

They have a proper constitution, governance structure and need to raise around £250,000 a year to keep going.

Noted for if we do a Xmas charity donate. My PIP Xmas £10 is earmarked for a good cause
---
And the basic support for giving away leftover food is there, she could read it online for FREE or ask the council food safety team.. .

Reactions: 6

doesn't look like they're bunging people a bag with a multipack of crisps, Happy Shopper jaffa cakes, dehydrated pasta sachets, jars of Dolmio or misc. veg either

(no shade to any of the above ingredients by the way! I love me the odd dehydrated pasta sachet and jars of Dolmio, but I do wonder if there is any nutritional oversight going into the bags that get handed out, or if there's any sort of "OK these ingredients will make you x, y and z which will last you, family of X number of people, Y days" etc.)

OK, I am a mitherer (and in the style of Carly, I've had an attack of allergic conjunctivitis and am bored (*)) so I have just decided to review one of her food bag videos and actually write down the food inside

(*) at the end of the video she randomly says she's running a bit of a temperature

this is the video I am reviewing

OK so we have

1 x box PG Tips
1 x Schwartz packet of one pan cajun chicken and rice seasoning (serving suggestion, add chicken breasts, bacon lardons, onion, green pepper, long grain rice, 1 tin of chopped toms)
1 x tub I can't believe it's not butter
1 x bottle malt vinegar
2 x tin sweetcorn
1 x jar instant coffee
1 x jar pickled onions
1 x packet of chocolate Digestives
1 x packet of penne pasta
1 x 1kg long grain rice
1 x dish sponge
1 x tin apricot halves
1 x bottle shower gel
1 x tin Heinz tomato soup
1 x box Golden Fry dumpling mix (instructions say to add water, knead with floured hands)
1 x tub Bisto gravy granules
1 x BBQ sauce
1 x tin peas
1 x Alpro oat milk
1 x Heinz Macaroni cheese tin
1 x jar strawberry jam
1 x tomato ketchup
1 x fizzy cola bottles
1 x Rice Krispie Squares pack of 4 (?)
1 x tin potatoes
1 x baked beans
1 x Dolmio pasta bake
1 x Lillets tampons
2 x tin tuna
1 x washing up liquid
1 x spaghetti with sausages, Heinz
1 x tikka masala sauce jar
1 x whole milk UHT
1 x Swizzels chews
1 x white tortilla wraps
2 x 1kg (?) bag of parsnips
6 granny smith apples
2 broccoli
1 kg onions
1 cabbage
3 leeks
6 pack of crisps
1 swede
1 butternut squash

"So between all of that, you should be able to make a meal on me with love"

The meals I can think you can make are
- a pasta bake using the Dolmio, two tins of tuna and penne. Probably best to chuck a few parsnips in, you've got 2kgs of them.
- a parsnip, broccoli and cabbage tikka masala?
- eat the butternut squash like a handfruit
- eat the mac and cheese and spaghetti and sausages out of the tin, garnish with BBQ sauce
- tin of tomato soup

good luck using the Schwartz packet mix and making the dumplings, I suppose?

WHERE IS THE PROTEIN????
---
I mean I suppose it's helpful having these things FOR FREE and it's not to be sniffed at, and maybe having all these things frees up the cash to buy some chicken breasts and whatnot - but when you compare it to the initiative @VeniVidiVicki shared above ...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
OK, I am a mitherer (and in the style of Carly, I've had an attack of allergic conjunctivitis and am bored (*)) so I have just decided to review one of her food bag videos and actually write down the food inside

(*) at the end of the video she randomly says she's running a bit of a temperature

this is the video I am reviewing

OK so we have

1 x box PG Tips
1 x Schwartz packet of one pan cajun chicken and rice seasoning (serving suggestion, add chicken breasts, bacon lardons, onion, green pepper, long grain rice, 1 tin of chopped toms)
1 x tub I can't believe it's not butter
1 x bottle malt vinegar
2 x tin sweetcorn
1 x jar instant coffee
1 x jar pickled onions
1 x packet of chocolate Digestives
1 x packet of penne pasta
1 x 1kg long grain rice
1 x dish sponge
1 x tin apricot halves
1 x bottle shower gel
1 x tin Heinz tomato soup
1 x box Golden Fry dumpling mix (instructions say to add water, knead with floured hands)
1 x tub Bisto gravy granules
1 x BBQ sauce
1 x tin peas
1 x Alpro oat milk
1 x Heinz Macaroni cheese tin
1 x jar strawberry jam
1 x tomato ketchup
1 x fizzy cola bottles
1 x Rice Krispie Squares pack of 4 (?)
1 x tin potatoes
1 x baked beans
1 x Dolmio pasta bake
1 x Lillets tampons
2 x tin tuna
1 x washing up liquid
1 x spaghetti with sausages, Heinz
1 x tikka masala sauce jar
1 x whole milk UHT
1 x Swizzels chews
1 x white tortilla wraps
2 x 1kg (?) bag of parsnips
6 granny smith apples
2 broccoli
1 kg onions
1 cabbage
3 leeks
6 pack of crisps
1 swede
1 butternut squash

"So between all of that, you should be able to make a meal on me with love"

The meals I can think you can make are
- a pasta bake using the Dolmio, two tins of tuna and penne. Probably best to chuck a few parsnips in, you've got 2kgs of them.
- a parsnip, broccoli and cabbage tikka masala?
- eat the butternut squash like a handfruit
- eat the mac and cheese and spaghetti and sausages out of the tin, garnish with BBQ sauce
- tin of tomato soup

good luck using the Schwartz packet mix and making the dumplings, I suppose?

WHERE IS THE PROTEIN????
---
I mean I suppose it's helpful having these things FOR FREE and it's not to be sniffed at, and maybe having all these things frees up the cash to buy some chicken breasts and whatnot - but when you compare it to the initiative @VeniVidiVicki shared above ...
I love a cauli and cabbage tikka masala! I add chickpeas too.

It’s all very paternalistic isn’t it? This will make a meal or two, sure. But is it what people want or need? There’s no dignity for the clients. No agency.

Reactions: 11
I love a cauli and cabbage tikka masala! I add chickpeas too.

It’s all very paternalistic isn’t it? This will make a meal or two, sure. But is it what people want or need? There’s no dignity for the clients. No agency.
and god forbid you don't like parsnips

• Haha
Reactions: 10
and god forbid you don't like parsnips
Was it in date / shop bought, or a mix of past-best and ok?
Surely some is donated? who’s buying boxes of goldenfrydumplingmix, swizzles chews, and a bottle of vinegar? Is she really going to Tesco to buy those?

Was it in date / shop bought, or a mix of past-best and ok?
Surely some is donated? who’s buying boxes of goldenfrydumplingmix, swizzles chews, and a bottle of vinegar? Is she really going to Tesco to buy those?
there was one rogue Waitrose tin (apricot halves), so I'm guessing some is donated

but yeah, the malt vinegar really threw me off. I thought perhaps it is intended to pickle the massive amount of vegetables, but malt can be a bit overpowering for pickling (unless you like your parsnips malty?). and pickled onions????

• Haha
Reactions: 7
there was one rogue Waitrose tin (apricot halves), so I'm guessing some is donated

but yeah, the malt vinegar really threw me off. I thought perhaps it is intended to pickle the massive amount of vegetables, but malt can be a bit overpowering for pickling (unless you like your parsnips malty?). and pickled onions????
I mean, if that was all stuff someone requested, then all well and good. Maybe they asked for oat milk and UHT.
Otherwise it has the air of “dumping” donated food on people

I mean, if that was all stuff someone requested, then all well and good. Maybe they asked for oat milk and UHT.
Otherwise it has the air of “dumping” donated food on people
at the start of the vid she says "in the parcels today" so I'm guessing they're all similar? ... but wfk given the "£92 in vouchers" was going to be given in food OBVIOUSLY (FOR FREE)

• Haha
Reactions: 3
She's spent £10k at Tesco and occasionally posts about going shopping, so there must be some method to what she buys. Although this cannot be a very economical way to buy food. She has £250k in the bank and could afford to buy in bulk.

By the looks of it, the bag from 3 days ago that I posted earlier is a formula. Here's something posted on 19 Nov. Virtually the same contents, including errant Schwartz flavour and dumpling mix, and a big bag o' parsnips.

• Haha
  • Wow
“To those who need it most”

“To those who are most willing to repeatedly beg on Facebook because I ignored their messages for a week after I had a lumber puncher”

FTFY Carlz hun, you can have that one for ❤ FREE ❤ too!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
A lot of Jacks branded goods- I thought Tesco only sold those via its “corner shop” type non-Tesco branded stores. Also, why so much bbq sauce?

Reactions: 2
A lot of Jacks branded goods- I thought Tesco only sold those via its “corner shop” type non-Tesco branded stores. Also, why so much bbq sauce?
The BBQ parsnip bake fanatics out there will be delighted 😀

Yeah, I’ve only ever seen Jacks at Premier convenience stores, I’m not sure if they’re owned by Tesco or not 🤷🏼‍♀️ as an aside, do you remember when one of Jack’s squig’s (and maybe also her) claimed Tesco named the range after her and not Jack Cohen - the founder of Tesco 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.