Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
Oh dear, who expected this?
Apart from every sane person that saw through these sly phonies from the beginning.
Vile pair.
I wasn't on Tattle the time of the Captain Tom madness, but I remember saying to my partner and family that it was a load of rubbish and didn't like Hannah.

I'm proud of the posters on this thread, you saw through the madness, you saw the grift . Never stop questioning.

Reactions: 28

RJF

VIP Member
Why the CGI lights?

And why does the husband looks as if the photographer has broken through the patio doors and caught them unawares whilst asking if they have any spare change?

5-B09-A77-C-C665-4-C7-B-93-BD-B7158-DB33-E71.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 28

Yel

Chatty Member
I'd still like the ASA to actually fine them, the Barbados tourist board and BA over breaking the rules on not disclosing advertising. No way did they pay for the holiday that had a high percentage chance of being what killed him. They could have been paid thousands by those companies
Screenshot_20230704_124325_Twitter.jpg

Captain-Tom-2884305.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
The Captain Tom "phenomenon" felt jingoistic to me, ties in with "the good old days, take back control by voting for Brexit, keep Britain British, god bless our veteran heroes and keep supporting the war". I've no issue with war veterans and admire some, but sick of every one of them being painted as heroes, they are human too. I don't wear a poppy and respect others right to choose to wear one or not to.

• Heart

Lililyly

I wrote about this previously on a different thread but this is the gist of it: He fought in the Burma campaign and taught how to drive motorised armoured vehicles. He also took courses to learn how to control and fix a tank and taught this back in England after he had to leave because he caught dengue fever from a mosquito bite. He also fought in the Battle of Ramree Island and because of his skills with motorbikes he had to ride them to the front line when tanks couldn’t reach them.
If he did hardly anything he wouldn’t have been promoted above a Private. Whilst he didn’t do anything too much above and beyond he did do a bit and saw some horrific things in Burma. From my relatives who served during WW2 they all said they rather face a Nazi than a Japanese solider because even the foot soldiers were bloodthirsty and savage. The Burma campaign was one of the longest in the Second World War but sadly largely went uncelebrated in Britain due to the population not really grasping the situation in Asia.
A bit off topic:

I second the part about Japanese soldiers. I’m from Vietnam and we fought many wars.

My grandparents and parents all had to serve regardless of your background and the Japanese and Korean soldiers hired by American army was particularly extremely nasty. It was as if they were from horror films.

My parents told stories about what they did to villagers especially women and children even babies. It is a combination of cannibal, rapist, torture at extreme level (sorry tmi). That was how they swept a village to find Viet Cong.

In the 90s when America put an injunction to Vietnamese government to stop trading with foreigners, we kids did not get to watch much cartoon and the country was (still kind of is now) so poor the contents on tv was mostly about wars: documentaries and films. No censors so you got to see some pretty traumatised stuff. You can also find these graphic documents in major museums nowadays. Veterans did go through some harrow things.

• Sad
  • Heart

thegirlscout

VIP Member
What exactly did Captain Tom do in the war? Google isn't helpful in this regard as a load of guff comes up about him being a hero or whatever.

I've seen comments about him training soldiers in Burma to use motorbikes? Is that the extent of it? Did he have a desk job too? Did he ever participate in combat?

I just haven't found a good answer to this online and no way am I paying money for his book to find out
I wrote about this previously on a different thread but this is the gist of it: He fought in the Burma campaign and taught how to drive motorised armoured vehicles. He also took courses to learn how to control and fix a tank and taught this back in England after he had to leave because he caught dengue fever from a mosquito bite. He also fought in the Battle of Ramree Island and because of his skills with motorbikes he had to ride them to the front line when tanks couldn’t reach them.
If he did hardly anything he wouldn’t have been promoted above a Private. Whilst he didn’t do anything too much above and beyond he did do a bit and saw some horrific things in Burma. From my relatives who served during WW2 they all said they rather face a Nazi than a Japanese solider because even the foot soldiers were bloodthirsty and savage. The Burma campaign was one of the longest in the Second World War but sadly largely went uncelebrated in Britain due to the population not really grasping the situation in Asia.

• Sad

MooBelle

VIP Member
Jesus Christ. But why though? Why would you do this?
In regards to the film, it's going to be shit isn't it? Much as I'd love it to be an all action war movie fictitious tale (with Tom Cruise playing the main role and doing all his own stunts) it's going to be much worse.
It will be a twee and cutesy tale of a sweet but eccentric Captain Tom. He'll mutter to himself and the camera will focus on him making a cup of tea and him staring wistfully out of the window saying 'turned out nice again' to his cat.
Then it will be shots of his adoring daughter (played by Alex Kingston or Tracey Ann Oberman) saying 'you can't stay inside all the time dad, why don't you go for a nice little walk round the garden?'
I already hate it.

• Haha

ohannie

VIP Member
Throwing rocks at some paupers who accidentally wandered onto the grounds of their estate?

• Haha

StatusWoe

VIP Member
I keep thinking she'll make a name change announcement and will be known officially as Hannah Captain Sir Tom.

• Haha

RJF

VIP Member
Hannah is having as much luck as Mr Bean on an ice skating rink. Oh dear!

• Haha

ohannie

VIP Member
As if she's ever had to stress over an interview like all us normal people 😂

"So, Hannah, what is your biggest weakness?"

"Well, I exploited my vulnerable elderly father for financial gain, but I did it as part of a team. I'm also confident working on my own initiate."

• Haha

ATV2021

VIP Member
My dad died last year and I wasn't able to be with him, visiting was still limited to 2 hours a day and I am really heartbroken that I couldn't be by his side. They all acted like they were obeying social distancing at the funeral though, only due to the fact that it appeared to have more television coverage than the Queens funeral!
CT was literally a ward over from my relative who died on their own in the end. Only 1 relative was allowed to visit briefly (we were told) yet they had at least 4 of them visiting CT. PALS also didn't give a crap which was lovely.
There were helicopters and allsorts round here for that funeral and some war planes did a flyover 🙃.
I was officially over those grifting pricks then.

• Sad
  • Heart

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
He had a daughter who pushed the PR big time, way more than others that were also raising funds. Also a “captain“ sounds more of a story and more marketable than just a civilian, etc.
Good point, I never thought of that, they really played up the Captain bit. Mr Moore wouldn't have had the same marketing pull. Do we know if Tom liked to be addressed as 'Captain' in everyday life pre fame?

I couldn't get over the son in law starting to go by 'Ingram Moore' after Tom got famous, what a fame hungry wannabe.

• Haha
  • Wow

Kikini Bamalam

VIP Member
Does anyone else start to go into a full body cringe every time this thread gets a new post, in anticipation of another thirsty post from Hannah (SHE'S SIR CAPTAIN TOM'S DAUGHTER YOU KNOW)?

• Haha
Reactions: 26