Captain Sir Tom Moore #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s like mass hysteria on social media, folks indulging in performative grieving and trying to out-sad one another.

I’m getting a very good idea of what it would have been like had Diana died in the time of the smartphone.
I saw a meme (it was a pisstake...had to be one) with him and Princess Di and I almost spat my drink out last night!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
The reaction of the general public makes me feel like I’m a heartless, emotionless alien!! Tv this morning has been nauseating. I’m not sure why all these random celebs are crying saying the whole nation loved him.

It’s great he raised so much money, but as other people have pointed out, it’s the public who donated that money. It reminds me of my boyfriend’s sister who always does those Facebook fundraisers, pressures people to donate and then takes credit for the amount raised!

Reactions: 39
I don't have anything to add, but I'm SO glad I this thread exists to provide some rationality!!

Reactions: 36
BBC announcing a permanent memorial.
Ffs
BBC called him a 'cherished son' .....what?!

And the family announced they spent hours with him laughing before he passed away.

The journalist sounds like he's been crying.
I can't bear it.

I don't have anything to add, but I'm SO glad I this thread exists to provide some rationality!!
This has kept me going! The pandemic is horrific but this outpouring of 'grief' could finish us off.

I was 14 when Princess Diana died so I didn't really care or get it. However I can imagine it's very much the same as the captain Tom hysteria.

Reactions: 16
Haha, I said that at the time. He can’t bloody sing it in tune.......and I know we’ve had some questionable number 1’s, but that was just awful.
Well he doesn’t even sing on it really. Michael Ball does. Tom occasionally interjects the odd ‘spoken ‘walk on’ line. It makes me wonder if he had much say in any of it? He seemed to have all his faculties, but the comment on the previous thread about him having dementia have made me wonder about it all.

Reactions: 10
It feels like the British public could not connect with the 104k number of deaths which were all human beings, but not they can grieve and channel it into this one man. A bit like the unknown soldier. Does that make sense? It does in my head, but not sure I articulated it properly.

Reactions: 28
The man himself was a character and seemed very kind and loved. I’ve not paid much attention to him until I watched the Piers interview with him last night. It’s good that a 100 year old war hero managed to make his last year epic.

The fuss is to distract the masses from the seriously criminal situation the inept and corrupt government have put the country in. All Bojo needs is the Queen or Phil the Greek to shuffle off their mortal coil next.

But, yes, if the family are making personal money out of this, it stinks to high heaven.

Reactions: 18
I have just been watching GMB and they had Hancock on. I cant stand that smug bleep at the best of times. What i cant understand is it says the money has been used for mental health services and wellbeing rooms, but are those not the services that were shut down due to the lack of funding by the government?
Also his daughter- im glad im not the only one who thinks she looks dodgy.
have they duck????!!!!!! We got a garden THAT HASNT BEEN BUILT YET

Reactions: 6
I’ve seen people calling for a day of mourning for Captain Tom. There have been well over 100,000 people that have died with COVID this past year! That’s all of those families devastated. We’ve had young parents leaving kids behind, old people dying alone and even at least one child has died alone in hospital with no one holding their hand. Are these people off their heads? It’s hysterical behaviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
BBC announcing a permanent memorial.
Ffs
BBC called him a 'cherished son' .....what?!

And the family announced they spent hours with him laughing before he passed away.

The journalist sounds like he's been crying.
I can't bear it.

This has kept me going! The pandemic is horrific but this outpouring of 'grief' could finish us off.

I was 14 when Princess Diana died so I didn't really care or get it. However I can imagine it's very much the same as the captain Tom hysteria.
This is nothing on the Di hysteria.

My husband was at an airport in Europe the day Di died, traveling back to UK. He was stopped while queuing at check in on live telly, the journo asking him how he felt about Di’s tragic death. The reply was “I don’t give a tit mate, this is a flight to Scotland” :D

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Imagine crying over someone dying who you don’t even know. Maybe I’m heartless but I’m sick to the back teeth of it and his daughter is disgusting
And as a scouser I’m gutted listening to that version of YNWA
The death of Saint Princess Diana has a lot to answer for.

There's a fb group for 2 minutes silence, is that before or after clapping for him 🙄.

England get a grip, yes he did something inspiring (as did many worthy others, without the fanfare) but he lived to 100 and lived those last years healthy and happy, he's got his family (even more) minted and finally he's he's not your feckin' grandad!!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Oh my Christ I’m watching Jeremy vine and some gobshite has just rang in and said he should be buried in Westminster abbey

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
The reaction of the general public makes me feel like I’m a heartless, emotionless alien!! Tv this morning has been nauseating. I’m not sure why all these random celebs are crying saying the whole nation loved him.

It’s great he raised so much money, but as other people have pointed out, it’s the public who donated that money. It reminds me of my boyfriend’s sister who always does those Facebook fundraisers, pressures people to donate and then takes credit for the amount raised!
Or the ones who do fundraiser walks in exotic countries, and not just a marathon in rainy Macclesfield 😂

Reactions: 6
I am really saddened by his death, he fought for the country during the war and he is one of many who ensured we were able to have the life we have today.

However I too am shocked about how a lot of people have reacted. On Facebook a lot of my friends have changed their profile pictures to a photo of him and are now saying how much they loved him. I know in some peoples cases that will be sincere but I can’t help but feel like a lot of it is jumping on a bandwagon.

I really dislike how Matt Hancock, Boris Johnson and other politicians have tweeted how devastated they are...what about the other 100,000 people who’ve died? Their deaths were just read out as a statistic yet GMB actually put the time aside to make a video dedicated to those members of the public that have died.

I am not naiive, I know in this world unless you are a celebrity you’re not going to have the whole world of social media pouring tributes to you, but this feels really jarring.

I hope I don’t come across as distasteful I just hate the fact so many people have suddenly jumped onto this bandwagon without knowing much about him. I’ve deleted all my social media apps expect for Messenger in case anyone needs to contact me. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep that up until the end of the week as I need a break from it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Haha, I said that at the time. He can’t bloody sing it in tune.......and I know we’ve had some questionable number 1’s, but that was just awful.
And how it sounds like he’s constantly managed to miss his cue even though it’s bloody been recorded and put together by a producer 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I’d like to know what made his life more remarkable than the life of Trevor from the local council estate who also raised money for the nhs but didn’t have a daughter to help get the same level of attention.

Some family members on my Facebook have changed their profile pictures and haven’t shut up about Captain Tom since yesterday. I don’t get it. I really think some people just love feeling ‘involved’ in something. They think it makes them look like good human beings, the fact that he’s a war vet adds to that because quite frankly we have a weird obsession with WW2 in this country and lick the arse of anyone who’s was within 50 miles of a war zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 31
Someone I’m friend with on Facebook has shared an old clip taken from Sky News stating that Tom did receive the vaccine! What on Earth is going on? Either he had it or he didn’t?

• Wow
Reactions: 7

Yel

Re Mumsnet

I read the thread after someone mentioned it here, nothing much to see other than hysteria and lots of deleted posts. But what stuck out is Mumsnet saying pretty much they will delete any posts that cold upset his family, so anything saying the long haul holiday wasn't the best idea.

This is beyond stupid as he's high profile with comments everywhere and I doubt the family are ever going to read the thread. And highly hypocritical because Mumsnet let posters that post about their own family bereavements be attacked with far worse comments on threads that they almost certainly do read.

IMG_20210203_093643.jpg

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.