Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
The thing with Jade Goody was even though she was vile in my opinion, she wasnt even 30 and left two young sons without a mum. That is a tragedy in whatever way you look at it, Tom was 100 years old and had a long, happy and fulfilling life. It’s sad but very few people reach that age. People need to get a grip,

Reactions: 109

BobRob

They had the flag at half mast at Downing Street last night. Obviously the other 100,000 people that have died didn’t really matter, but this one made them take notice.
The amount of money he raised was wonderful, but the focus should have been on the terrible state the NHS is in because it hasn’t been funded properly, not him as a person. As far as I’m concerned this whole thing played into the ridiculous British obsession with world war 2, the stiff upper lip etc. It played into the hands of the government when it should have highlighted their failings.
I only found out his whole family went on a free first class trip to Barbados the other day and couldn’t believe it. Even if it was just before lockdown we had clearly been told to only travel if essential. The same people defending it are the same ones (rightly in my opinion) condemning influencers going to Dubai. Don’t get me started on the Captain Tom Gin!

• Heart
Reactions: 105

Raininvain

VIP Member
You would think the family would just want to go home, and get some sleep and perhaps ring round extended family today. Not talking to the media before he was cold.
I bet anything the daughter ends up on Loose Women, in the big brother house, baking programmes etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 78

Barbie2020

VIP Member
Just put GMB on you would think the Queen has died with the tributes that are going on. It’s a bit too much.

His daughter has been talking to Piers Morgan/Michael Ball etc before they put the statement out? WTF!

This is really unsettling. All the pictures they are showing with his daughter and grandkids loving the attention. I did watch one of his interviews a bit back with his daughter sat next to him and he could barely speak properly, he was so frail compared to the beginning. He should have been left to rest and not be wheeled out for publicity for the daughter all the time 😡

Mod edit
Previous thread

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 75

Clarew93

It’s a bit much isn’t it... I have family in bedford and she knows one of the nurses who was on the ward looking after him. Apparently all of the family members were allowed in to visit and see him and it was like a circus? Double standards?
very sad that he has died after doing such great charitable work but many others have died and have been denied visits from family

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 70

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
My mother can’t stop crying 🙄 this is the woman who is massively racist, homophobic, transphobic, does not agree with food banks and slates single parent families, (yes she is a c**t) but a 100 year old passes away and she’s devastated! Beggers bloody belief. She’s done nothing but moan about selfish people leaving the country for holidays but it was ok for Captain Tom! I think I’m going to have to take a break from social media and tv for the next few days as it’s going to be unbearable. The virtue signaling is unbelievable.
I think a lot of this plays into the populist, nationalist, pro Brexit, anti foreigner, bring back the Empire mentality.

• Heart
Reactions: 69

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
Oh thank god I’m not the only one,I was beginning to feel quite evil lol. GMB this morning has been the piers show of course and he’s turned the whole thing into one massive Tom tribute .
Very sad the man died, every death is sad ( my dad died at 56 with cancer) He did raise an amazing amount for the NHS. Inspirational for sure. I did turn off GMB this morning, Piers saying the criticism for taking Tom to Barbados is hurting the family.... I don't know how they ever thought, in a pandemic , that putting a 100 year old man on a plane was a good idea... I am not too happy about being labelled a troll for perhaps having an opinion that thinks maybe he was safer at home. My friends sister is in Australia, she has had a horrific still birth, her parents here in Ireland are desperate to be with her.
Even if there were flights, she has told her mum who has health issues to stay home and stay well and at the first safe opportunity they will all reunite and grieve.
Gmb , this morning (don't watch it) rightly criticising the influencers , cannot with a straight face say taking Tom abroad was a good idea....

• Heart
Reactions: 65

TheBlueDonkey

Chatty Member
Twitter calling for the British Grand Prix to be renamed in his honour. And for the clap to be worldwide. I just cannot cope with some people. You guys here are my tribe lol.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
The BBC this morning is sycophantic - I am sad he was poorly, and I think he did great things in his life. But can we just stop now? It’s so much. He was the prefect distraction for the government during the last year, I feel sorry for him being wheeled out over and over. Also it’s annoying me people keep saying he raised money for the NHS - no, he raised money for NHS Charities.

Reactions: 53

Anon_Miss

Ok, so, i have been debating about posting my thoughts about him and his passing. Firstly i am sorry for his family and to those that knew him, of course i am.

Right, just what the actual fuck is going on?! We have Piers Morgan and Philip Schofield of all people calling anyone trolls who dares question anything about Tom and his family?
Flag has been at half mast.
There is a petition to get him a state funeral.
His vulture of a daughter (actually, that is offensive to vultures) phoned Piers before the statement was released? What? Was that really at the top of her list of things to do? ''Oh lets phone my mate Piers'' - what?!

Ok.

1) His family were allowed to be with him in his final days and moments. Although i don't think his other daughter was? Which is so wrong.
Also, why were his family allowed? When so many other people have had to be alone, with only a doctor/nurse/carer at their side when they have been seriously ill or dying? So many people have lost people during the pandemic, many due to covid, but also many due to other reasons, were they allowed to be with them? To support them? To comfort them? No! So why did he get that special treatment? Since he also had covid, i thought that would be a high risk, letting alot of people in with him? It just seems the rule book went out the window for him and his family.
Or rather, what did his daughter say to get that special treatment, as she is a piece of work..

I also feel sorry for his other daughter who you actually don't hear much of/about. She seems to have been cast aside and really forgotten (not by him, but by the media and everyone else, or so it seems..)

2) That whole Barbados trip. What the flying fuck were they thinking? ''Oh lets have a jolly during a pandemic'' - i know it was on his bucket list, but i am sure the other people who have died had a bucket list or things they wanted to do, but they had no hope of doing those things. So who thought it was a wise idea to send a 100 year old guy, on a plane, during a bloody pandemic? I am sure his daughter ( the money who was in every interview) loved that holiday.
Yet, if anyone says anything about that, suddenly we are the bad ones? But sure, lets criticise other people who have been jetting off to Dubai and other places (they should be criticised), that is bad, but someone going on Barbados is fine? No. None of it is ok! Don't go on a flipping holiday during a pandemic! Just no no no!

3) The government used this man as a pawn. A distraction. ''Oh lets focus on this old man raising money for the NHS'' - That will be a good distraction from the mess the UK is in with Brexit, their botched handling of the pandemic and everything else.
Not only that, wasn't it for NHS charities he raised money for? But the government were quite happy to let people believe he was raising money for the NHS itself, which plays right into the government's hands.. Also, like i said previously on his first thread, in the interviews, whenever the money was mentioned, it was never mentioned that the NHS is not a charity, again the government probably loved that fact. The family just let the whole NHS being a charity thing play out..
He was trying to do something good, which is admirable, but it has really gotten out of control.

4) What about the other people who tried raising money? You barely heard of them. I wonder if they feel even the slightest bit pissed off that even though they might not have raised the amount he did, they still tried and did something amazing, but it has been ignored? The media made it out like he was the only one doing something.

5) The state funeral? WHAT???? So many people have not been able to give their loved ones the funerals they deserve/would give them if there wasn't a pandemic going about. Many people have not even been able to go to loved ones funerals. Or only certain members of the family have and others have had to watch over zoom and things like that. Yet, there is a petition to give him a state funeral? How? Why?

I really do not want to disrespect the man, as i am sure he did what he did with the best of intentions. He wanted to do something good, something positive, and i don't imagine he thought of just how well known he would become, and i do hope he rests in peace, i really do.

I am just dismayed and, i can't even explain. Just wtf is going on?!

I have even seen things on social media saying the UK has lost a hero, other news channels all over the world have been discussing him and his sad passing and his achievements.

I better stop here as no doubt i am one of those nasty big trolls Piers and Phillip like to talk about. I mean really, they should take a look in the mirror before they throw the word 'troll' about..

• Heart

Kmh1987

What a disgusting thread.
God forbid anyone have a opinion . You know what’s disgusting , thousands of people saying good bye to loved ones over iPads , whilst a man who was in no fit state to leave the country is surrounded by his whilst he passes .

• Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
His version of that song is probably the worst I’ve ever heard. I even said that to my mum at the time and she had a go at me.

• Haha
Reactions: 51

9Pine

VIP Member
I didn’t realise there was a thread before and I’ve spent all this time thinking I was the only one who thought something wasn’t right about all this! I too have a bad feeling about his daughter and I think she really let him down taking him to Barbados - I appreciate it was a free trip of a lifetime and that he had all his faculties but I would be doing everything I could to stop a loved one fly across the world right now, not join him.

Im sorry he has passed and I hope he rests in peace, but so many people of all ages have passed in the last year and I would say a high percentage of those did not have their family called in by the hospital and sadly died alone. That will be the hardest legacy of all this for a lot of families. I think they were worried what the daughter would say in a “statement” if they didn’t allow the family in.

I’m giving GMB a wide berth today as Piers Morgan (what a coup that was getting Sir Tom on Life Stories...) went on a massive rant yesterday about Twitter trolls who questioned why he had gone to Barbados, saying they were perfectly entitled to go because it didn’t break any Government rules...imagine if it was Megan Markle or The Beckhams who had gone, we would never have heard the end of it

Attention and publicity I would say - edit to say, apparently Sir Tom and Michael Ball recorded a song together - I managed to miss that too - so I suppose Piers Morgan and Michael may have been his friends. Mrs Skeptismo here is still wondering if she called all his friends or just the high profile ones...
I wonder if the other sister (the one who DIDN’T take him to Barbados) or see him in person in his final days, is at all resentful? I’m very sad that he died but couldn't believe it when I heard he’d travelled there for a holiday, bucket list or not, and surely it was the reason he caught pneumonia and the Covid. Why not just stay safe at home?

• Heart
Reactions: 49

hereforthedrama1

Chatty Member
I'm only on page 32 but what about the 100 year old Sikh man who did 100 laps of the garden? He raised significantly less because it was at the same time as good old Treasure Trove Tom but why did he not get a Knighthood? He did the same thing? He just didn't need the media crawling all over him for it? Also FUCKING STINKS

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 49

Brummiebird

VIP Member
Anyone know if Elton’s been booked for the funeral yet?

“Goodbye Captain Tom
Though I never knew you at all
I thought this would be a chance to promote myself
While the thickos out there mass bawled
They crawled out of the woodwork
And they clapped on their doorstep for Tik Tok fame
Now your daughter’s brought out a treadmill
And she’s trademarked it with your name”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
I am literally biting my tongue at work when people are talking about it over teams 😂 maybe I’ll stand on my doorstep at 6pm tonight and yell ‘HE WENT ON HOLIDAY IN A PANDEMIC’

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45

Shinythings

VIP Member
It's all a bit much now.

Yes, he did a fantastic thing, yes he had a great life, yes he shouldn't have gone out to covid. But he was dying anyway due to underlying chronic health problems. Of course it's sad he died but it was imminent. His death is sad, no doubt.

But it's getting sycophantic now. The amount saying they are devastated and have to have a day off work and that we should have a day of mourning and whole programmes being dedicated to it. It feels like we're supposed to be mourning as a nation. If he was this supposedly humble man, he'd be quite embarrassed by the whole thing. And the daughter phoning Piers Morgan before she probably told family. Jesus.

I can understand being really upset by a public figure dying if you've been a lifelong fan and they had a big influence on your life, but this is a bit silly.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

Wind Fish

Can someone explain how he was selfless? He walked up and down his garden to gain attention to get people to donate. I don't see how that was selfless?

• Haha
  • Heart

See_bee

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but Ive just seen that Carol Vordaman is calling for a national 'Sir Tom Moore' day... FFS!

I can't get this off my chest on Facebook etc, for fear of a backlash from the enormous band wagon that the world seems to have jumped on. Profile pic borders with him on, endless posts about him being a superhero. Enough already! It'll be tattoos of him next 🤦‍♀️

The man had an excellent innings and yes, did something nice for charity. But he also had a fab last year of his life - which is more than can be said for a lot of other (much younger) people.

I can't stand this fake, worthy bullshit from the likes of Piers Morgan and This Morning - any fool can see they just exploit these stories to gain popularity.

I honestly can't stand much more of it. How long did people expect him to live for anyway? He wasn't a fucking vampire!

• Haha
  • Heart