Candice Brathwaite #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She is dull as dishwater. Absolutely dull dull dull. History of pimping aside, I think CB would have been good at this as I believe she would have been able to step right into the participants shoes, having experienced very similar herself.
Whilst I agree that Rochelle is dull and Candice brings the experience, I do think that Rochelle will gain more viewers.

Reactions: 5
Paired with Victorian plumbing shite everywhere else. My pet hate is different finishes. If you’re going for a “look” then commit to it fully.

Also the floor tiles, whilst nice on their own, are not Victorian. And don’t go with the style of suite. Nor do they suit the wall tiles which are more modern again. Total mismatch in my opinion
Tbh I’m assuming they’re dead stock from 2018 where every insta hun going had it with brass hardware

I can’t get over how bad this bathroom is. Agree with everyone else it’s picking bits from every airy London Victorian house the main insta mamas of yesteryear have and jamming it into a Barrett’s home (dunno if they’re even a thing anymore lol)

Reactions: 6
Whilst I agree that Rochelle is dull and Candice brings the experience, I do think that Rochelle will gain more viewers.
Without a doubt. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know... and if your face fits.

Reactions: 3
Without a doubt. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know... and if your face fits.
It is definitely about connections....and....

Rochelle has turned comments off now on the post, was she getting a lot of tit?
It is also about reputation....if Rochelle has got backlash from Candice followers then that won’t go down well. Rochelle has the connections and could discuss this with them. If that is the reason she has turned off comments.

Reactions: 4
rochelle humes has a documentary coming out about BAME mums and birth and Labour I’d put money on it being that....I’d much rather see Rochelle if it is that, she’s more relatable and recently had a baby boy
Candice has a lived experience and started the campaign. Rochelle had her baby in private hospital. If this focus on black women she is for tiny percentage that use private health. There are other women that fought hard and contribute to the papers. No issue with Rochelle but she not the right one for this issue

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Candice has a lived experience and started the campaign. Rochelle had her baby in private hospital. If this focus on black women she is for tiny percentage that use private health. There are other women that fought hard and contribute to the papers. No issue with Rochelle but she not the right one for this issue
I might have misread, so please please correct me.

Candice has put another post up and has turned comments on and what I am getting from the comments and what Candice has said, doesn't seem to be about the lived experience but that Candice is being overlooked as she has dark skin, there are references on their to them whitewashing the documentary by using a lighter skinned black woman.

• Wow
I might have misread, so please please correct me.

Candice has put another post up and has turned comments on and what I am getting from the comments and what Candice has said, doesn't seem to be about the lived experience but that Candice is being overlooked as she has dark skin, there are references on their to them whitewashing the documentary by using a lighter skinned black woman.
Either way i campaign she started and fought for to get along with number of black women. Rochelle had nothing to with the campaign. Like I said it's like me light skinned women speaking on the issue never had a baby but my background and public health knowledge makes me palatable for people like you to get our point across. This is a serious and black women and their babies are dying under NHS care not in private hospital. If not Candice at least the other oh dark skinned women could have been selected.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Why tf did Rochelle take this if she hasn’t even birthed in an NHS hospital?! Feels a bit grotesque for her to be raking over black women’s trauma when she’s gone private?!

I’m white so pls correct me if I miss the mark - but obviously she’s privileged as a light skin pretty woman, but she’s also more “palatable” as she’s had all the TV training and is well spoken. Although god do you remember her sister from LI, definitely a few cogs missing there 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I don't mind Rochelle but she's definitely more suited to "light entertainment", I can't really see her having the gravitas for a documentary. Candice literally wrote the book on black British motherhood, it should've been her. It's gonna be weird not featuring her in it at all, surely too awkward to have her interviewed by Rochelle now.

Reactions: 8
There are numerous knowledgable black women who have been bringing the issue of black women dying disproportionately whilst having babies to light and campaigning tirelessly to get black women the support they need. CB being one of them, I have never heard Rochelle speak on the subject. As others have said, she had her babies in a private hospital so no problems with her voice being heard which is one of the main issues at hand in the mortality rates.
Rochelle has a huge platform to speak about the issue but never has until she got this job, she could have supported the project in other ways by publicising etc. Being an ally of the women she is interviewing and talking to on her doc means amplifying their voices, including those who may get passed over for jobs in favour of those who may be “more palatable” to our inherently racist society. Whether it be CB or any other black woman who would have been more qualified to front this doc.
I’m not a mega fan of either woman but have always heard CB talk about this very serious issue. I found it hard to stay silent and read the comments on here from women who clearly have never heard about/ been affected by/ care about the issues faced by black women when having a baby in this country. Most of you seem to care more about CB’s taps.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Yel

It reflects very badly on Candice and her followers that she's caused a pile on and hidden the comments on her own feed. That's the kinda reason she would be booted out of projects that affect multiple peoples work. They want someone trouble free and she's proved exactly why she shouldn't have got it.

These jobs in the media always never have been given on merit and often have the vapid and clueless presenters. Nothing new there.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
Why tf did Rochelle take this if she hasn’t even birthed in an NHS hospital?! Feels a bit grotesque for her to be raking over black women’s trauma when she’s gone private?!

I’m white so pls correct me if I miss the mark - but obviously she’s privileged as a light skin pretty woman, but she’s also more “palatable” as she’s had all the TV training and is well spoken. Although god do you remember her sister from LI, definitely a few cogs missing there 🥴
More than being "light skin" - she's mixed race. There's a difference. There's also a lot of chat about how the "Black" experience is being watered down by Mixed Race people fronting documentaries about Black experiences and this is another example of that.

It's not really to do with her being well-spoken (not sure if she would be classed as that imo), but more to do with her palatability by virtue of her proximity to whiteness... https://discoversociety.org/2019/07...talking-about-mixed-race-identity-on-its-own/ <<< this article mentions that (in case anyone thinks I'm being RaCiSt).

Rochelles got something that candice hasn't got. Likeability.
If we're being impartial, it has nothing to do with likability. Candice is liked by lots of people hence why she's doing relatively well careerwise... clearly just not on Tattle lol

And Rochelle has just had a baby too. I sometimes feel that Candice thinks she is guaranteed everything because it would be racist not to without consideration as to whether she is any good at something.
That's a really ignorant statement to make and highlights a real lack of understanding about racism and colourism...

One thing to note is at March 2020 she had very little broadcasting experience. Since then she has done bits and pieces for the Lorraine show and stuff, it’s quite possible she’s just... *not very good*?! Giving an absolute amateur an entire show to present is a big risk surely? Especially in Covid times when things presumably need to be filmed quickly and economically. If she needs multiple takes at it, she’s not going to be top of the list. Think whatever you want about Rochelle, but she’s a very experienced broadcaster and presenter, it could just be she was genuinely the better person for the job!
If it came down to the two of them, then surely the points you've made here are redundant. CB may not have been the best for the job but Rochelle certainly wasn't.

ETA: just saw a tweet which gave me further food for thought. A doc about an issue so serious shouldn't be "filmed quickly and economically". People's lives are at risk. It doesn't matter if someone has more experience or not. How is Rochelle going to relate to this documentary when she's never spoken about race until last summer? Again, how can the average joe relate to someone who's given birth privately? I'm sure the risks of dying are far lower...

It reflects very badly on Candice and her followers that she's caused a pile on and hidden the comments on her own feed. That's the kinda reason she would be booted out of projects that affect multiple peoples work. They want someone trouble free and she's proved exactly why she shouldn't have got it.

These jobs in the media always never have been given on merit and often have the vapid and clueless presenters. Nothing new there.
Again, another tone deaf comment. She hasn't "caused" anything. People are entitled to have their own opinion.

Even if she didn't come out and say that she was meant to have the job, people still would've critiqued the decision to use Rochelle.

What about using the women that started the #FivexMore campaign? As opposed to just featuring them in the documentary... or someone else who's actually got experience of traumatic birth as a Black woman.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Be interesting to see how this comes across in the "celebrity friendship" land. I notice Emma W liked the post. And they have alot of mutual friends.

Oh and fwiw. I find Rochelle really unrelateable. Her feed is full of Ads. Promotion and Marks and Spencer Food, holidays and her own brands. Kids are gorgeous though.

Just seen that Rochelle is trending on Twitter. I'm anti- pile ons and this isn't one. Just lots of people (well within their rights) explaining the issue with her fronting the documentary.

Not sure it'll have any impact sadly, but we can all learn a thing or two from the issues being raised by them.

Be interesting to see how this comes across in the "celebrity friendship" land. I notice Emma W liked the post. And they have alot of mutual friends.

Oh and fwiw. I find Rochelle really unrelateable. Her feed is full of Ads. Promotion and Marks and Spencer Food, holidays and her own brands. Kids are gorgeous though.
Her children are stunning - I saw a picture of them on my explore page a few days ago and gasped. Stunning parents, stunning kids !

I'm not sure that Candice started this campaign. The stats were already out there and I remember ages ago she put up a post referencing someone else who was lobbying parliament to get this looked at properly and for people to sign the petition.

The comments I have seen regarding Rochelle getting this job are in my view disgusting and show that colourism works both ways. She is being slated for being light-skinned and not her ability of otherwise to do the job. Colourism is unfortunately rife within several cultures and doesn't help when we need to move forward in unison to end racism.

Candice made a calculated move in her accusation that it was due to her darker skin tone. She knew it would resonate with a lot of black women and she would achieve the engagement that she has on her post and on other platforms. She has done this before when white influencers felt obliged to invite her to events for fear of being accused of racism ( I was all for black women getting equality in that space but not the way she did it) and perhaps hopes to do it again in the media world. Since last summer and the whole blm movement when her account grew enormously and she seemed to be the go-to WOC for everything I feel she began to have a sense of entitlement. We already know she's extremely insecure about her looks from her own admission that black men did not find her attractive. She may have not got this job for a whole host of reasons and saying it was just because she's dark skinned is disingenuous.

A sensible discussion is needed on this subject.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
Most of you seem to care more about CB’s taps.
Tbf that was an ongoing conversation over days, I’ve only become aware of the documentary today / Rochelle is only trending today so don’t think that’s entirely fair 😳

Thank you @eltatt for pointing out the MR vs LS thing, not something I’d ever considered x

This discussion is really interesting, I am really appreciative of the ability for us to discuss it with rounded viewpoints.
This is really what social media is missing.

*I don't intend this to be in anyway patronising, I wasn't sure whether to write this but have to say it's made me think so much more about the issue.

Reactions: 10
I'm not sure that Candice started this campaign. The stats were already out there and I remember ages ago she put up a post referencing someone else who was lobbying parliament to get this looked at properly and for people to sign the petition.

The comments I have seen regarding Rochelle getting this job are in my view disgusting and show that colourism works both ways. She is being slated for being light-skinned and not her ability of otherwise to do the job. Colourism is unfortunately rife within several cultures and doesn't help when we need to move forward in unison to end racism.

Candice made a calculated move in her accusation that it was due to her darker skin tone. She knew it would resonate with a lot of black women and she would achieve the engagement that she has on her post and on other platforms. She has done this before when white influencers felt obliged to invite her to events for fear of being accused of racism ( I was all for black women getting equality in that space but not the way she did it) and perhaps hopes to do it again in the media world. Since last summer and the whole blm movement when her account grew enormously and she seemed to be the go-to WOC for everything I feel she began to have a sense of entitlement. We already know she's extremely insecure about her looks from her own admission that black men did not find her attractive. She may have not got this job for a whole host of reasons and saying it was just because she's dark skinned is disingenuous.
This whole comment wreaks.

1) No one's staying that Candice started the campaign though
2) Colourism doesn't work both ways. Really unsure where you've got this from?
3) I also think it's absolutely disgusting to say she made a "calculated move in her accusation". Quite the opposite if you ask me. I think it's a huge risk and could affect her career going forward.
4) There are enough outspoken black women who would have critiqued Rochelle getting the job without Candice speaking up and saying anything. I don't doubt that if she hadn't spoken up, there would be at least 2 think pieces written about the issue of Rochelle getting the job over other women who would have been better placed.

ETA: here's a mixed race woman (same woman whose work I linked above!) stating that the wrong person got the job:

So would love to know, how (if at all), anyone can respond to the valid critiques raised by Black women at this time!

ETA again: saying that "a sensible discussion" is needed is absolutely insulting. And clearly you don't give a damn about "moving forward in unison to end racism" because you're quick to dismiss the concerns of non-white people.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Not on this thread but general comments on social media are saying she started the campaign.

I stand by my opinion that colourism works both ways in that people are making judgments on each other based on skin tone. I'm not disputing the fact that darker skinned women usually get the worst of this. Come on let's all work together to end racism and not fight within ourselves.

You are right that people might have questioned Rochelle getting the job anyway but I am very pleased that there will finally be a documentary on the issue of black women and their experiences of childbirth and that's more important to me. I would find it disappointing if all this furore caused Rochelle to quit this role.

ETA BTW I am black myself

• Angry
Reactions: 11