Candice Brathwaite #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
ETA again: saying that "a sensible discussion" is needed is absolutely insulting. And clearly you don't give a damn about "moving forward in unison to end racism" because you're quick to dismiss the concerns of non-white people.
I assume this is aimed at me...interested in how you have come to this conclusion.

Reactions: 3
Not on this thread but general comments on social media are saying she started the campaign.

I stand by my opinion that colourism works both ways in that people are making judgments on each other based on skin tone. I'm not disputing the fact that darker skinned women usually get the worst of this. Come on let's all work together to end racism and not fight within ourselves.

You are right that people might have questioned Rochelle getting the job anyway but I am very pleased that there will finally be a documentary on the issue of black women and their experiences of childbirth and that's more important to me. I would find it disappointing if all this furore caused Rochelle to quit this role.
If you google colourism, you'll see that the definition literally says "prejudice or discrimination against individuals with a dark skin tone" - so you can stand by an incorrect opinion if that helps you justify this.

How can we "all work together to end racism" if people like you are willing to be wilfully ignorant? typical.

Reactions: 3
More than being "light skin" - she's mixed race. There's a difference. There's also a lot of chat about how the "Black" experience is being watered down by Mixed Race people fronting documentaries about Black experiences and this is another example of that.

It's not really to do with her being well-spoken (not sure if she would be classed as that imo), but more to do with her palatability by virtue of her proximity to whiteness... https://discoversociety.org/2019/07...talking-about-mixed-race-identity-on-its-own/ <<< this article mentions that (in case anyone thinks I'm being RaCiSt).

If we're being impartial, it has nothing to do with likability. Candice is liked by lots of people hence why she's doing relatively well careerwise... clearly just not on Tattle lol

That's a really ignorant statement to make and highlights a real lack of understanding about racism and colourism...

If it came down to the two of them, then surely the points you've made here are redundant. CB may not have been the best for the job but Rochelle certainly wasn't.

ETA: just saw a tweet which gave me further food for thought. A doc about an issue so serious shouldn't be "filmed quickly and economically". People's lives are at risk. It doesn't matter if someone has more experience or not. How is Rochelle going to relate to this documentary when she's never spoken about race until last summer? Again, how can the average joe relate to someone who's given birth privately? I'm sure the risks of dying are far lower...

Again, another tone deaf comment. She hasn't "caused" anything. People are entitled to have their own opinion.

Even if she didn't come out and say that she was meant to have the job, people still would've critiqued the decision to use Rochelle.

What about using the women that started the #FivexMore campaign? As opposed to just featuring them in the documentary... or someone else who's actually got experience of traumatic birth as a Black woman.
I am sorry if you thought my comment was ignorant I paraphrased Candice herself when she said last year that she knows every time she gets turned down for work, it's based on her skin colour and racism but they try to make an excuse of lack of experience when she knows it's not that.

I don't believe she gets rejected from everything because of her colour. How can she think she is talented and experienced in everything and that she is right for every single job?

She's not a likeable person and there are many black woman I'd go to before her. You criticise her in any way shape or form and you are labelled racist, that's just how she works.

Reactions: 16
I am sorry if you thought my comment was ignorant I paraphrased Candice herself when she said last year that she knows every time she gets turned down for work, it's based on her skin colour and racism but they try to make an excuse of lack of experience when she knows it's not that.

I don't believe she gets rejected from everything because of her colour. How can she think she is talented and experienced in everything and that she is right for every single job?

She's not a likeable person and there are many black woman I'd go to before her. You criticise her in any way shape or form and you are labelled racist, that's just how she works.
My issue was with there being "no consideration" about whether she was good at the job or not. We don't know that.
There has also been lots of research done showing that 'minorities' are likely to face discrimination when going for jobs (a quick google search will show that). So with that in mind, it's not surprising if CB considers her race to have been a hindrance.

Again, to those in this thread, she's not likeable. And that's ok because we don't have to like everyone. But clearly she's likeable to others, which is why she keep getting jobs...

That being said, I agree that there are other Black women who could have gotten the job - it's not like it was her or no one.

Reactions: 5
This whole comment wreaks.

1) No one's staying that Candice started the campaign though
2) Colourism doesn't work both ways. Really unsure where you've got this from?
3) I also think it's absolutely disgusting to say she made a "calculated move in her accusation". Quite the opposite if you ask me. I think it's a huge risk and could affect her career going forward.
4) There are enough outspoken black women who would have critiqued Rochelle getting the job without Candice speaking up and saying anything. I don't doubt that if she hadn't spoken up, there would be at least 2 think pieces written about the issue of Rochelle getting the job over other women who would have been better placed.

ETA: here's a mixed race woman (same woman whose work I linked above!) stating that the wrong person got the job:

So would love to know, how (if at all), anyone can respond to the valid critiques raised by Black women at this time!

ETA again: saying that "a sensible discussion" is needed is absolutely insulting. And clearly you don't give a damn about "moving forward in unison to end racism" because you're quick to dismiss the concerns of non-white people.
My problem is my dislike for for Candice. I cannot stand her.

As I said l, there are hundreds more black woman who do better than her.

My disliking her is nothing to do with her colour and everything to do with her behaviour and morals. She's not a nice person at all and so two faced.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
@elttat I'm not trading insults with you and I'm not ignorant we just have different points of view

Agree with your latest post 😊

Reactions: 1
My issue was with there being "no consideration" about whether she was good at the job or not. We don't know that.
There has also been lots of research done showing that 'minorities' are likely to face discrimination when going for jobs (a quick google search will show that). So with that in mind, it's not surprising if CB considers her race to have been a hindrance.

Again, to those in this thread, she's not likeable. And that's ok because we don't have to like everyone. But clearly she's likeable to others, which is why she keep getting jobs...

That being said, I agree that there are other Black women who could have gotten the job - it's not like it was her or no one.
The thing that stands out to me, again feel free to correct me, is she getting work because she's likeable or is it because they are trying to show they represent all colours so they have picked her.

I've not seen anything she does that shows a talent.

Reactions: 4
@elttat I'm not trading insults with you and I'm not ignorant we just have different points of view

Agree with your latest post 😊
Calling someone ignorant isn't an insult if you're presented with information that you choose to ignore...
Again the Google definition includes the term "disregard intentionally" - that's what I think's happened here. And that's the last I have to say on that.

The thing that stands out to me, again feel free to correct me, is she getting work because she's likeable or is it because they are trying to show they represent all colours so they have picked her.

I've not seen anything she does that shows a talent.
So she's the only Black person/influencer that could be picked to do what she does?

Calling someone ignorant isn't an insult if you're presented with information that you choose to ignore...
Again the Google definition includes the term "disregard intentionally" - that's what I think's happened here. And that's the last I have to say on that.

So she's the only Black person/influencer that could be picked to do what she does?
Absolutely not but she isn't selective about what she does. She doesn't appear to turn anything down and then claims she's blazing a trail for black people everywhere.

She can't even align her own morals. It must be exhausting being her, the amount of time she chops and changes her stance on things.

Reactions: 4
Absolutely not but she isn't selective about what she does. She doesn't appear to turn anything down and then claims she's blazing a trail for black people everywhere.

She can't even align her own morals. It must be exhausting being her, the amount of time she chops and changes her stance on things.
Not sure how any of that is relevant to the issue we're discussing...

It just seems that your intense dislike for her is preventing you from dealing with the issue at hand. A real shame.

Reactions: 5
Not sure how any of that is relevant to the issue we're discussing...

It just seems that your intense dislike for her is preventing you from dealing with the issue at hand. A real shame.
It really isn't. I can see and accept that the production team have handled it wrong. I can see that Rochelle isn't the right person. I can see clearly what is going on and I've been looking and reading about it.

If you like her so much, start a rave thread but please do not try and infer that I can't see the problem because of my dislike for her.

I know you are desperate to label me as a racist and ignorant but I'm not. I'm not perfect and I make mistakes but I am learning and I am open to learning and taking important information on.

But I just can't be arsed with that twit of a woman. She never helps herself because she's all very much about the dramatics of it all.

It's absolutely tit if they've stolen her idea and all her work and she should absolutely be persuing that further and if they have picked Rochelle because of her skin colour that also needs addressing.

But Candice can still duck off as far as I am concerned. She's a horrible person inside and her previous actions have shown this.

Reactions: 20