Cancer Influencers #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nope, looks like she's been away, posting pics of them on the beach. In the UK though.
I think they stayed wherever it was Taylor did his triathlon. It looks like they are having a lovely time, but OMG, seeing those two little ones is breaking my heart, I hope she doesn’t have to have that talk with them just yet, just hope Lizzi has some offer/trial that can buy her a bit of time.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have a question about Lizzie's mum..
I know from what Lizzie has posted that they found cancer in her mother's spine..
So that would make that secondary breast cancer....?
So does that mean Lizzie's mum is also now terminal?
There must be some fault gene right..
If mum and daughter both now have stage 4 secondary breast cancer...
So...... what would that mean for lizzie's daughters then...

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I know from what Lizzie has posted that they found cancer in her mother's spine..
Her worst nightmare I imagine. Not only that she won't be there for her children but that they in all likelihood will face what she faced at some point in their lives.

It's a thought that crosses my mind as I have 3 daughters, even though I have now been given the all clear. I will be making sure they know how to check their breasts from a young age.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
My understanding from my friends with metastatic BC cancer is that it's pretty much the only cancer that when it's spread it's incurable. That doesn't mean the person can't live for many years even 20 years in some cases depending where it has spread to.

My best friends cancer was discovered after she had excruciating back pain. It was already in her spine and her Mum had also had BC. My bestie was given 2 years but lasted 7 years. Bone metastasis can be managed although very painful.
Once it spreads to the tissue/organs is when lifespan becomes more limiting especially the liver. Sadly I've had too many friends in this position. My friends family including her brothers kids were all tested and there was no faulty gene, just bad luck :cry:

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
That's interesting!

I thought just about all Stage 4's were incurable (with the possible exception of lymphoma) - with only a few rare outliers. I've even heard the least worst Stage 4 cancers were breast and colon, perhaps because they get more funding for research. I did a quick search and couldn't find a good source to post though.
---
Ah, so now I find one link, at least.

"In many cases, stage 4 cancer can't be cured. However, this is not true of all cancers. Stage 4 testicular cancer, for example, is highly curable. Lymphomas are highly curable regardless of stage."

Reactions: 4
This thing with breast cancer is that it's an insidious little fucker. It can appear gone and then come back a few years in a different part of your body. That is what I have heard from young women in the support groups. It's also seems to be a different beast in a younger women rather than when it occurs in postmenopausal women. It's a lot more aggressive.

I have been told that I have a reoccurrence rate of 20% even though I have been given the all clear this week. I will be heavily monitored for the rest of my life, I haven't had any other cancer but I would be curious to know it's the same for bowel cancer etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Congratulations on getting the all clear! I was diagnosed last year and on further therapy now....hormone blockers and abemaciclib...its a sneaky disease x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Congratulations on getting the all clear! I was diagnosed last year and on further therapy now....hormone blockers and abemaciclib...its a sneaky disease x
Thank you!! 🩷🩷 I'm on Tamoxifen and Zoladex implants now. Hope you are handling the symptoms okay 😅

It is a sneaky fecker!! Is that what makes it different from other cancers? It can go dormant, appear gone and then wake back up.... I haven't had any other cancer so I don't know for certain but it's insidious nature and it's prevalence in young women is a major reason why I believe it gets so much research and funding. I feel like sometimes people resent that but truly we would have so many more people dying every year if it wasn't for it.

• Heart
Yes very grateful for the drugs I'm on now and all the research studies. I feel 100% but hope I've seen the back of it 🙏

• Heart
There’s lots of good news coming out of cancer research regarding BC. Just with the recent improvements on mine, long term prognosis has gone from 50/50 chance that I’ll be alive in 15 years to almost 90% chance. They had a big breakthrough earlier this year on being able to understand why some types of BC hide or remain dormant for years and then come back, but we’re still a few years out from that having any meaningful impact on treatment and recurrence rates. It’s a sneaky fucker.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
There’s lots of good news coming out of cancer research regarding BC. Just with the recent improvements on mine, long term prognosis has gone from 50/50 chance that I’ll be alive in 15 years to almost 90% chance. They had a big breakthrough earlier this year on being able to understand why some types of BC hide or remain dormant for years and then come back, but we’re still a few years out from that having any meaningful impact on treatment and recurrence rates. It’s a sneaky fucker.
Wow that's really interesting!! I'll be reading up on that! I didn't even look at my 15 year outlook, don't imagine it's too good and it's not going to help me knowing that. Same reason why I never found out what stage I was (although I suspect stage 2).

Hope you're doing good 🩷

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
This thing with breast cancer is that it's an insidious little fucker. It can appear gone and then come back a few years in a different part of your body. That is what I have heard from young women in the support groups. It's also seems to be a different beast in a younger women rather than when it occurs in postmenopausal women. It's a lot more aggressive.

I have been told that I have a reoccurrence rate of 20% even though I have been given the all clear this week. I will be heavily monitored for the rest of my life, I haven't had any other cancer but I would be curious to know it's the same for bowel cancer etc.
Aww huge congratulations that you have been given the all clear ❤. Keeping everything crossed it stays away forever!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Do you know what it’s called? Is she actually starting it or being screened?
She hasn’t given details. Just said she’s starting a Royal Marsden trial tomorrow.
---
I think she’s had all the screening already as she’s been down there twice, recently.
---
She said “it’s all systems go”

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.